All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Guild Wars 2
PostPosted: 03 Apr 2008, 12:36 
Administrator

Medals: 20
Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)

Chaz was right; we could really use a thread dedicated to this. /anachronism

Post subject: Re: Now playing
PostPosted: 20 Aug 2013, 09:32 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
Guild Wars 2 is having a free trial starting on Friday. People should go check it out, 'cause Ethan and I need some more people to run dungeons with us.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2013, 10:10 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
How long's the trial for? I should be back home by Friday evening and Ethan mentioned some time ago that I might enjoy the game.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2013, 16:59 

dinowoman wrote:
How long's the trial for? I should be back home by Friday evening and Ethan mentioned some time ago that I might enjoy the game.

23-25. I've thought about doing it myself but I'm not sure I want to download the game just to play it for 3 days. :\

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2013, 21:07 
Veteran

Best Newcomer (1) Most Serious (1) The Merger Contest (1)
That is a very, very short Trial.

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2013, 21:31 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
I see Rachel beat me to it.
In its defence, Klarth, they're giving you literally the ENTIRE game for FREE. Keep in mind that this is a game that is a one time purchase, not a subscription. That means that if you play the trial for free and don't pay for the full game, they lose what may or may not be consider one entire person's worth for the game, instead of the single subscription timeperiod that a subscription game may rely on. More to lose = shorter trial.

Anyway, if anybody is interested:
https://register.guildwars2.com/trial

And have a singularly epik song from the OST to go with it. (I changed the song played at login to the game client to this.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhNeZZ-oRPE

Or if you care for something slower:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ8vridhfQA

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2013, 10:28 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
That's really not that short of a trial, honestly, especially for a one-time payment sort of game.

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2013, 12:13 
Veteran

I imagined it was a Subscription Service, and so seem to have made a Mistake.

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2013, 16:21 
Administrator

The only downside to the length I can think of is that there's this sort of steep difficulty gradient from levels 5 to 11. Once you hit level 11 and are making use of the extra skill slot and your first trait selection it levels out again, but I imagine that a lot of people who can't just drop everything and play like crazy for 48 hours will only play a little bit as they can, which will probably get them right smack dab in the middle of that rough patch and leave them with a sour taste at the end.

IMHO it would have been better if they'd done something like, allow you to activate a two day trial period any time in a three or four week period, so people can actually experience the best parts of the game in that two day window.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2013, 18:09 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
I'd certainly have found that more convenient. I don't know how large the game is but, if it takes anything like the same amount of time to download as TOR did, I can pretty much write off Friday, since I won't be around for most of the day. And I'll be out for largish chunks of Saturday and Sunday too.

I'm still keen to try it though, so hopefully I'll have time to at least get a taster. And now you've told us about the difficult patch after about level 5, at least I'm forewarned and hopefully won't feel too disillusioned if it suddenly gets difficult.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2013, 23:13 
Veteran

I wouldn't think it'd be too much of a problem. IIRC GW2 took about five hours to download, compared to TOR which took about a week all told.

The thing about GW2 is that it's very light on the grinding-in fact I don't think I've ever had to do any noticeable amount of it (crafting grinding, yes, but that's much more bearable). If you're sticking close to your story I guess you'd run into some rough spots, but if you just run around and explore you shouldn't have a problem-there's tons of stuff to do besides fighting that'll still give you XP, or doesn't give you XP but is cool anyway.

Incidentally, I recommend the Sylvari. They get all the colors.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2013, 18:47 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Well, I've successfully installed GW2, but which server are you guys playing on? I don't dare try to make a character yet, in case I'm not allowed to switch servers afterwards.

(So, I in the meantime I go to play TOR for a bit before bed and discover at 5 minutes to midnight that in the few days we've been away they've brought out another enormous patch that needs to be installed before I can do anything.)

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2013, 19:34 
Veteran

We're on Maguuma.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2013, 04:31 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Thanks!

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2013, 13:58 
Administrator

The Time Being wrote:
The thing about GW2 is that it's very light on the grinding-in fact I don't think I've ever had to do any noticeable amount of it (crafting grinding, yes, but that's much more bearable). If you're sticking close to your story I guess you'd run into some rough spots, but if you just run around and explore you shouldn't have a problem-there's tons of stuff to do besides fighting that'll still give you XP, or doesn't give you XP but is cool anyway.
Hell man, my Norn Warrioress hit level 80 (max) and had only cleared 56% of the world map. You could probably go around and hit level 80 just by trying to acquire all the Waypoints before doing anything else. The Level Scaling system the implemented that keeps even the starting areas interesting and sometimes challenging even at peak stats is the best thing I've seen in a game since ever.

The Time Being wrote:
Incidentally, I recommend the Sylvari. They get all the colors.
Incidentally, I recommend the Norn. They get all the awesome.

^This is funny because Rachel's first character was Norn and my first was Sylvari, but my preferred/favourite/main character's been Norn and her preferred/favourite/main has been a Sylvari.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2013, 14:17 
Veteran

Zeth wrote:
The Time Being wrote:
Hell man, my Norn Warrioress hit level 80 (max) and had only cleared 56% of the world map. You could probably go around and hit level 80 just by trying to acquire all the Waypoints before doing anything else. The Level Scaling system the implemented that keeps even the starting areas interesting and sometimes challenging even at peak stats is the best thing I've seen in a game since ever.

I believe Final Fantasy VIII was already doing the Level-Scaling (if I'm understanding what you mean by that correctly) some Time ago; it's really a very good Idea — more RPGs ought to do it.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2013, 15:00 
Administrator

I think I recall somebody, maybe Les or Crystal or Mark, can't recall, mentioning something along those lines. I didn't really follow at the time, but now that you mention it, yeah.
And you're right: they really should. You get your edge for all your hard work but every area is still fun to play. I don't know why more games haven't started doing this a long time ago.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2013, 15:21 
Veteran

It also has the Benefit of preventing Frustration, to a certain Extent — though certain Enemies may well have minimum Levels, you won't suddenly find yourself somewhere you are massively outlevelled out of nowhere.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2013, 15:51 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Zeth wrote:
You could probably go around and hit level 80 just by trying to acquire all the Waypoints before doing anything else.

During the free trial just now I spent a lot of time just exploring after I realised you gained xp not just for discovering new areas, like in TOR, but also for visiting all the waypoints and places of interest within them and trying to reach the hidden vistas. I certainly didn't have any noticeable difficulties during the Level 5-11 stage that Ethan mentioned earlier, because, if a particular quest got too tricky I just left it for a bit and went off and did other ones, fought the local wildlife, or went exploring.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2013, 17:29 

Medals: 1
L Award (1)
Albert Clare wrote:
Zeth wrote:
The Time Being wrote:

I believe Final Fantasy VIII was already doing the Level-Scaling (if I'm understanding what you mean by that correctly) some Time ago; it's really a very good Idea — more RPGs ought to do it.

VIII is a rather poor example. The level scaling system in that game BROKE it. The monsters leveled with you, but your levels barely gave you any stat increase. Rather, you increased your stats by equipment, after a fashion. Many players therefore went out of their way NOT to level, but rather gain the equipables ((In this case, Equipable spells junctioned to your stats, giving boosts.)) So they had godlike stats at the end of the game, but they were fighting single digit enemies.

But yeah, A dynamic leveling system is cool. ((Yours are distinct. Zeth's lowers your level to match your enemies, Albert is talking about raising the enemies level to suit the player. Which would be impossible in an MMO. "Well, a High level player showed up in the starter area. Now you're all fighting Max level dragons instead of Rabbits.))

And Oddly, I'm between games. Or rather, Playing pretty much everything in my personal catalogue till something sticks.

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2013, 19:52 
Administrator

Worth noting is that in special Living World story instances, lower level characters may be scaled up to 80 so they can participate with everybody else, since otherwise they may not have time to reach the levels.

This was particularly important when the Aetherblades first showed up, since you were pretty much doing that all by yourself, like an extension of your personal story, as opposed to now during Clockwork Chaos and the Queen's Jubilee, which features MASSIVE movements of players spanning entire maps in large-scale invasions.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2013, 13:33 
Veteran

Avalon wrote:
VIII is a rather poor example. The level scaling system in that game BROKE it. The monsters leveled with you, but your levels barely gave you any stat increase. Rather, you increased your stats by equipment, after a fashion. Many players therefore went out of their way NOT to level, but rather gain the equipables ((In this case, Equipable spells junctioned to your stats, giving boosts.)) So they had godlike stats at the end of the game, but they were fighting single digit enemies.

That sounds pretty much exactly like the problem Oblivion had. I guess the moral is that level scaling is a tricky thing to implement correctly. Maybe.

Zeth wrote:
Incidentally, I recommend the Norn. They get all the awesome.

^This is funny because Rachel's first character was Norn and my first was Sylvari, but my preferred/favourite/main character's been Norn and her preferred/favourite/main has been a Sylvari.

I specifically remember when we first looked at this game, well before either of us got it, and I said I knew my character was going to be a Norn ranger and Ethan said he knew his character was going to be a Sylvari engineer. The irony has not since ceased to hit me. (Not that I have anything against the Norn, mind-they are, truly, all of the awesome.)

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2013, 09:46 
Administrator

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guil ... rce=client

Check out the numbers graphics near the bottom. That's pretty frellin impressive.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2013, 10:10 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Sure is! Hopefully within the next month I'll be able to increase their purchase figures by one (which of course will show up in the statistics :P).

(I'm also quite surprised to see that Sylvari only make up 15% of the player characters. Given the somewhat elvish look of the Sylvari, and the popularity of elves in most RPGs, I'd expect them to be the race of choice for all elf-fanciers.)

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2013, 21:31 
Administrator

I had guessed the breakdown woulda been:
Norn
Human
Sylvari
Asura
Charr

I guessed pretty close.
What amazed me is that Risen Thralls have defeated more players than any other creature. It must be the sheer size and frequency of mobs.