All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Firefly Online
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2013, 19:36 
Root Administrator

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
GUYS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y364b2Hcq7I

It's not quite what I want but it's a start.

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

Post subject: Re: Firefly Online
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2013, 21:59 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
I honestly haven't the slightest idea of how to respond to this.
Probably a case of so many opposing emotions and thoughts rushing to mind at once that it short circuited.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2013, 22:47 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Newcomer (1) Most Serious (1) The Merger Contest (1)
That looks somewhat interesting, whatever it is.

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2013, 02:39 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
I could see Firefly being the basis of a pretty good RPG but really can't see how this can work as an online game unless you're simply playing as a random captain in that universe. You can't have an entire server full of Mal Reynolds and the Serenity crew.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2013, 22:56 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
That's what I would expect.

I think the main reason I'm ambivalent on this is because I have this extremely deepseated fear that something like this will somehow leech the magic out of it all. It's a bit of a paranoid fear, I suppose...but it's not something I can afford to get my hoped up and then dashed in regards to. Firefly is important to me.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2013, 22:58 
Veteran

A single Slip in something very close to the Heart can be devastating, and, though you can try and ignore it, you sometimes simply cannot forget it happened.

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2013, 01:19 
Veteran

Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
Zeth wrote:
I think the main reason I'm ambivalent on this is because I have this extremely deepseated fear that something like this will somehow leech the magic out of it all. It's a bit of a paranoid fear, I suppose...but it's not something I can afford to get my hoped up and then dashed in regards to. Firefly is important to me.

I didn't realize it until I read this, but I think this sums up my feelings on the matter as well. Firefly is a delicate balancing act; it's not just the setting or the premise of the show that makes it but the characters, the awesome dialogue, the clothing, the sets, the music, the sweeping shots of Serenity in outer space, even the camera angles. Firefly's verse isn't what interested me most about the show, and I don't want to imply that I'm not interested in the setting or don't think it's good, or anything, it's just that...the show was what interested me about the show. I never sat around thinking, "Man, I wish I could play something set in this verse." I just thought, "Man, I wish I could see more of this show." That, and the fact that it being an MMO inevitably means it will be filled with people with names like Darth Bacon543 running around spamming the chat with trade requests and cursing each other out, which is enough to take the magic out of anything.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2013, 10:21 
Veteran

Now that makes me want to watch it.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2013, 11:09 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
The Time Being wrote:
I never sat around thinking, "Man, I wish I could play something set in this verse." I just thought, "Man, I wish I could see more of this show."
I admit I haven't seen very much of the show (our DVD player has become very unreliable and won't play my Firefly DVDs and I'm terrible at watching things on the computer - if there's a keyboard in front of me I start using it and get sidetracked) but the idea of simply playing a game set in the Fireflyverse doesn't currently hold any special attraction for me. It's the show and the characters that appeal, and without them I can't imagine getting very drawn into the setting.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2013, 10:02 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
I'm not sure it'll be an MMO? I'm getting mixed readings... I'm glad they're looking at something though. Only time will tell if the game itself is any good. I love Firefly, but if the game isn't good I'm okay with just not playing it.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2013, 10:40 
Veteran

I actually rather like the idea someone posted in the comments to that video about a Telltale game with the original actors. It's a pipe dream, but hey.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2013, 16:38 
Root Administrator

If that happened I'm fairly certain everyone would be on board with it. From what I understand, voice acting, especially for video games, is super quick, so it wouldn't take more than a couple days (at most) for any of the actors.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2013, 21:04 
Administrator

The Time Being wrote:
Zeth wrote:

I didn't realize it until I read this, but I think this sums up my feelings on the matter as well. Firefly is a delicate balancing act; it's not just the setting or the premise of the show that makes it but the characters, the awesome dialogue, the clothing, the sets, the music, the sweeping shots of Serenity in outer space, even the camera angles. Firefly's verse isn't what interested me most about the show, and I don't want to imply that I'm not interested in the setting or don't think it's good, or anything, it's just that...the show was what interested me about the show. I never sat around thinking, "Man, I wish I could play something set in this verse." I just thought, "Man, I wish I could see more of this show." That, and the fact that it being an MMO inevitably means it will be filled with people with names like Darth Bacon543 running around spamming the chat with trade requests and cursing each other out, which is enough to take the magic out of anything.
And even more perfect and accurate summation of my feelings.

Which is saying something because I always want to play in a given 'verse. But Firefly's just...different. Wouldn't be the same without that specific crew doing just what they do.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2013, 01:18 

Medals: 1
Absentee (1)
/me laboured breathing

If the devs know anything about what they're doing, then they know exactly what it is about the show that was important - and they know to focus on bringing those aspects to the platform, rather than just painting a game in Firefly colours and marketing it. If is a pretty dark word, sometimes.

::Join the Immortal Sword Network!::
Website - Forum - Facebook - Twitter - DeviantArt

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2013, 19:47 
Administrator

Myke wrote:
If is a pretty dark word, sometimes.
QFT

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2013, 14:34 
Root Administrator

So I got bored and looked this up and apparently it's scheduled for this upcoming summer. [Source]

It's officially licensed so I guess that says something, but that doesn't mean it'll be good. Still a little apprehensive here, especially since we aren't hearing much about the production.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2013, 12:56 
Administrator

Quote:
initially be available for smartphones and tablets
And suddenly the project is entirely dead for me.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2013, 10:08 
Root Administrator

Eh, I don't think that just because it's going to also be on tablets and smartphones immediately invalidates it as a game. Good and bad games both appear on all platforms.

Anyway, just saw this on my Facebook feed.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2013, 12:36 
Veteran

Exactly who is it officially licensed from? I'm a bit confused as to where the rights are atm.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2013, 13:31 
Root Administrator

Fox has the license, as I understand it, which is why Joss was never able to make more. Quantum Mechanix (QMx) has made merchandise of the show (and others like Star Trek, Stargate, and Battlestar Galactica, see here) before, but they're responsible for the game as well.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2013, 13:33 

Medals: 1
Best Newcomer (1)
Zeth wrote:
Quote:
initially be available for smartphones and tablets
And suddenly the project is entirely dead for me.

Hasn't that been known for like, a year?

ὁ ἀκτεανος ξενος εἰμι, ἐρρων δια τον οἰζυρον κοσμον,
ἐτι οὐδεν νοσου μογου κινδυνου ἐστιν ἐν ἀγλαῃ γῃ οἱ βαινω
δευρο εἰμι ὀψομενος πατερα, δευρο εἰμι μηκετι ἀλωμαι,
ἁπαξ βαινω ὑπερ ἰορδανην, ἁπαξ βαινω ὑπερ οἰκον

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2013, 13:17 
Administrator

Very possibly. I haven't been following this at all.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2014, 17:05 
Root Administrator

'Firefly' Actors Reunite for Online Role-Playing Game

Set to release this spring.