All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2013, 17:16 

Medals: 1
L Award (1)
Exactly what it says on the Tin. This is an excellent place to talk about Namco's Tales series of games.

Personally, the only one I've actually played was Symphonia, Which I liked, cause it blended RPG and fighting game mechanics, two of my favourite types of games ((Ironically, since they're fairly opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of pace.))

So yeah, Anyone else have something to add?

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2013, 17:38 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Newcomer (1) Most Serious (1) The Merger Contest (1)
It seems as though Symphonia is one of the most widely-liked Games in the Series, and I've only played it a little, but I wasn't captivated; I found the Plot of Tales of the Abyss more engaging, and something in the Aesthetic of Tales of Legendia more appealing (despite otherwise possessing what I might call the worst Gameplay in the Series, and being clearly unfinished and underfunded), and it possesses one of my favourite Game Soundtracks of all Time. It took an entire Playthrough for me to realise I genuinely liked it, and I would love to see it remade with a good Amount of the second Half of the Plot rewritten and the Gameplay of Tales of the Abyss, but I very much doubt that would ever happen. I had imagined how it would go once, and I was rather pleased with the Result, though I didn't write it down and can't remember it all now.

I've also played through Tales of Phantasia (the GBA Release) perhaps three or four Times, and Tales of Destiny (almost twice, but I abandoned my second Playthrough part-way because I felt like playing something other than an RPG) and Tales of Graces. I've heard Vesperia is good, but I don't have the proper System for it.

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2013, 19:03 

I love Tales of Symphonia, but the sequel didn't grab me as much. The two Symphonia games are the only Tales games I've finished though, so I'm actually working to play through Vesperia, and then afterwards I'll play Abyss and Graces and then maybe replay the Symphonia games. I'm almost done with Vesperia (I'm at Tarqaron) but I've only been playing the game off and on so it may still take me a week or two to finish it. :\

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2013, 19:54 
Veteran

I find Graces plays rather oddly compared to most other Games in the Series, and it took some Time for me to get used to it, but it's fairly intuitive once you do; I've tended to play Malik more often than Asbel (I tend to play Tear as often as Luke and Guy in Abyss, and vary between Chloe and Senel in Legendia). The Story is a rather interesting one, though it feels a little rushed in Places — there was certainly Room for more Worldbuilding, and some Battle Quotes were rather uninspiring, and there was a decided Dearth of interesting Human Bosses — but overall, I would call it worth the Time.

I've heard rather mixed Things about the second Symphonia: some seem to enjoy it well enough, but I've had one Friend tell me she thought the Story felt too much like a Fanfiction for her Comfort.

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2013, 20:41 
Veteran

Medals: 2
Best Newcomer (1) Best RPer (1)
Blog: View Blog (4)
I've only played Abyss, Vesperia, Graces F and part of Phantasia, However I didn't find Graces F as appealing as the other 3 were. The other three games I mentioned had a feeling of impending doom during the later parts of the games while in Graces F, It felt as if everything was going to be fine. I guess what I'm getting at is that Graces didn't instill the fear the other three games were able to make me feel.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2013, 09:47 
Root Administrator

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
I'm a third or so of the way through my second Vesperia playthrough; I'm attempting to 100% the game. I've watched a Let's Play of Phantasia (the original) back when I was at my old reviewing gig, and I'm slowly making my way in Abyss and Symphonia 2. I've read the manga for the first Symphonia game. I have the anime for Abyss but haven't watched it yet. I've also seen First Strike (Vesperia), which is great.

I love Vesperia, Phantasia was fun to watch, and Abyss and Symphonia 2 are fine. I'm having a harder time getting into Abyss than I'd like to admit, because Vesperia spoiled me by having great characters and pretty much everything voice acted. I know I'll like Luke eventually but I can't really get to a point where he doesn't annoy the hell out of me, so I've been finding excuses not to play. Emil (Symphonia 2) is also kind of a weird character, and I never cared for or about Lloyd, but for some reason I can deal with mentally imbalanced pushover better than entitled rich kid.

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2013, 21:43 
Veteran

Just a skit in Tales of Xillia I just watched... No spoilers, and this has mature content.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI4UYzr7oAU

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2013, 15:12 

I finally got around to finishing Vesperia, so I think I'm going to play Xillia next. Really looking forward to it. ^_^

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2013, 20:37 
Veteran

It's pretty good so far, they throw cosmetic items at you too.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2013, 15:18 
Veteran

(Sorry for double posting)

New DLC is available for ToX: Butler/Maid outfits, and swimming outfits are there for a price, however there are Free color swapped outfits for everyone on the playstation store

I like everyone's color swapped outfits aside of Alvins, A green and black trench coat doesn't sit well with me

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2013, 14:32 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
So for anyone who's kind of been paying attention, Namco will be announcing a new Tales game here in roughly 15 hours from this posting. I imagine it will be in Japanese, but for some of you it may be worth not understanding what's going on (unless, of course, you understand Japanese).

Also I've been playing through Tales of the Abyss.

Spoiler: show
St. Binah has fallen and I'm in Shurrey Hills.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2013, 15:43 
Veteran

Tales of the Abyss is fun; I have some very long Save Files in it.

Spoiler: show
Randomness: Binah (Understanding), Chokmah (Wisdom), Keter (Crown), Chesed (Kindness), Hod (Splendour), and Malkuth (Kingship) are all 'Sephiroth', in the original Sense of the Word.; I may have shared this before, but it would have been a LONG Time ago.

Interestingly enough, NONE of them are in Kimlasca.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2013, 09:17 
Root Administrator

Here is a recap of the announcement.

Tales of Zestiria for the PS3. The main hero's name is Slay ( スレイ, surei, spelling not yet official). He's described as a really gentle guy. The main heroine's name is Alicia ( アリーシャ, ariisha, spelling not yet official). She's apparently a knight.

Story is set in Greenwood, where Highland and Lowlance are areas fighting for rule. Seems like the overall map is much like Xillia. Apparently there will also be dragons, and they're probably going to be central to the plot, considering the Baba (the producer) said only time will tell whether they're friend or foe. Similar battle pacing to Graces, perhaps.

Animation is done by ufotable, which is a good choice IMO. (They're also responsible for the ToS animation and the Xillia games.)

Teaser trailer here. Another trailer will be shown later this month. No release date as of yet, no talk of whether it will have an EU/NA release.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2013, 09:33 
Veteran

It better have a god damn EU/NA release... I got lucky when I discovered the magic of the Tales series... I had Phantasia, Abyss and Vesperia to play to bide me time till Graces and Xillia came out...

It's hard having to wait for X2 and the ToS remakes...

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2013, 11:35 
Root Administrator

Considering there's already a trademark of it in the U.S. the chances are higher that they are bringing it over here, but it's still no guarantee. Namco and Capcom are both notorious for not bringing stuff over here.

EDIT: According to the official Tales EU Twitter, it's a worldwide release, so no worries there.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2013, 13:25 
Veteran

Holy shit.. yes...

I can't wait to see more on this... but I do have to say one thing...

Slay's outfit looked kinda gaudy...

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2013, 13:55 
Root Administrator

Really? To me he just kind of looked like an Oracle Knight or something.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2015, 09:21 
Root Administrator

So this is happening: http://store.steampowered.com/app/351970

I'm kind of torn. On the one hand, getting ToS for free (assuming it's unlocked) would be awesome. On the other hand, I kind of want to play it on PS4, not my computer, as much as I love my computer.

I guess I'll be a lot more torn if they actually unlock Tier 3 reward.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2015, 22:32 
Veteran

As far as Tales go, we also have this, which I think will be interesting.

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2015, 20:10 

Crystal Shards wrote:
So this is happening: http://store.steampowered.com/app/351970

I'm kind of torn. On the one hand, getting ToS for free (assuming it's unlocked) would be awesome. On the other hand, I kind of want to play it on PS4, not my computer, as much as I love my computer.

I guess I'll be a lot more torn if they actually unlock Tier 3 reward.

I'm a bit unsure which version to get, but for an entirely different reason - I want it on console, but the Steam version will (eventually) get a decent discount and probably be pretty cheap compared to buying it on PS4. XD Though I won't pre-order Zestiria, I'd still be interested in playing the Steam version of Symphonia if the battle framerate is back up to 60 FPS, since battles feel so much more fluid in the GC original than the PS3 re-release.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2015, 16:38 

I'm still trying to clear my backlog and it includes a few Tales games v_v

- ToS: DotW (I have both Wii and PS3 versions, and I've given up ont he Wii version cause I hate the controls)
- ToS (PS3)
- Tales of Hearts R
- Tales of Xillia
- Tales of Legendia extra stuff
- Tales of the Abyss (3DS)
- Tales of Xillia 2

I've beaten Tales of Symphonia (GCN), Vesperia, Graces f, and Abyss. Tried out Phantasia/Destiny/Eternia and I didn't like emulating it so I didn't try.