All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 16 Jun 2013, 07:20 
Veteran

Medals: 2
Best Newcomer (1) Best RPer (1)
Blog: View Blog (4)
This announcement (along side FF15 and KH3) was the best thing to come out of this years E3 for me. That being said, I'm definitely picking up a Wii U here in the fall/winter.
So with that, I thought it would be interesting to see peoples views on what they think about the newly announced characters for the roster and what they think/would like to see in the next games roster.

First, Megaman: I really liked the fact that I saw him added to the roster. It felt like it was a long time coming considering the first seven Megaman/Rockman games where on Nintendo systems. I'm really interested in seeing his move set.

Villager: Came out of nowhere, but he seems legit. A large fan base has already sprung up around this little death machine. I mean, just look at him:

Wii Fit Trainer: Another out of nowhere and seems to be out of place in the SSB world in my honest opinion. Sakurai said he wanted to incorporate more First party Nintendo characters, but this girl came out of nowhere. She goes from Doing yoga and light exorcise to performing final smashes?

Now some First party Nintendo characters I'd Like to see added to the Roster. (Assuming they're not cutting down on slots in the roster, if they are then I don't expect these characters to get in.)

Lord Chrom (FE:A) Fire Emblem Awakening was a great addition to the FE franchise, and was also the best selling Fire Emblem game upon release in NA. Chrom was also an amazing character in the game and so far my second favorite lord, under Ephraim.

X (Megaman X): We saw in Brawl it's not out of the question to add the same character twice based on the style of the character (Link/Toon Link). That's all I really have to say on that.

Proto Man(Megaman): If the Megaman series does get a second character on the roster, what better choice than Proto Man? (Dr Wiley aside) Proto Man is an iconic Villan/Ally int he Mega Man games, would be silly if he weren't in. sadly this leaves X (as mentioned above) with even less chance of being seen.

Tom Nook: I feel that he has the best chance to make it in (compared to my previous two hopefuls) as Animal Crossing's second rep. I could see him having a similar move set to the Villager, and his final smash is him throwing cash at everyone hard enough to send them off screen.

Zoroark: This pokemon has gained a lot of popularity since pokemon generation 5 came out. If they do add another pokemon (which I think is unlikely, sadly) it would be Zoroark.

Little Mac: I really believe he's going to be added regardless and out of my previous four contenders, he has the highest chance, and a probable one. The remake of Punch out was a huge hit, and even landed a spot on the Wii classic games list.

If I had to choose one from this list, It's Little Mac, hands down.

Third Party games that have appeared on Nintendo consoles: (These are HIGHLY unlikely to be put into the roster due to the fact Sakurai has stated he wants to stay closer to the First party as opposed to third party. However I feel that these name are slightly possible. Also these are all Namco names.)

Cless Albane or Yuri Lowell (Tales of Phantasia/Vesperia) Namco is producing SSB4, so I expected to see a Namco character get thrown in. Most of Namco's fighting games are really adult oriented, so any hopes of seeing Mitsurugi or Heihachi are gone. However the tales games are normally lighthearted and are an excellent blend of fighting and RPG, making characters from this series prime picking for adding a Namco face to the SSB universe. Cless was the main protagonist in the first tales game, which was released on the SNES, however I think (if a tales character IS put in) then it'll most likely be Yuri, he's been a Support summon in Tales of Hearts (which was a NDS title) and he's also making an appearance as a playable character in Namco's new Tactical RPG Project X Zone (Which is a 3DS title)

Ryusei Date or Kyosuke Nanbu (Super Robot Wars): Some or all of you have probably never heard of this game series, because like Fire Emblem was before Melee, it wasn't popular outside of Japan, however it's hugely popular in Japan (there are more SRW Games can I care to mention, so here's a giant list. Anyway, Ryusei and Kyosuke are the main characters of the games original series, and since this is a Namco title, if we do see see this series get some love, then you can expect to see one or both of these guys.

Pac Man: This originally started as a joke between my room mate and myself, however after seeing the Villager in the roster, I say Pac Man has the strongest chance of being put in since it's a child friendly fighter, and it would be hilarious to see his final smash turn everyone into blue ghost that get thrown off screen by Pac man just TOUCHING them.

Simon Belmont(Castlevania): Another Icon of the NES era next to Mega Man, Mario and Link. What better addition to a fighting game than a member of a family of Vampire slayers? also i'd be cool to see an alternate skin of his that looks like the way he was portrayed in Captain N:

If I had to choose from these five, I would Say Yuri and Pac Man are tied. Yuri's been getting a lot of love from Namco, and like I said with Pac Man, he has a child friendly aspect about him that makes him great for a Nintendo title.

That's it for me

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2013, 13:28 

Medals: 1
L Award (1)
Worth noting ((and unlike my erroneous statement last gen, this one I'm sure of)) Megaman isn't first party. He's third party ((Capcom)). I Have a feeling that if we see any more Megaman characters, they'll be assist trophies. ((I'm expecting Zero here. Similar to Grey Fox.))

I actually get the feeling that from something Sakurai said that Capcom wanted another Megaman character or another Capcom character all together ((They've been giving Megaman a lot of shit lately, I was worried when someone said that Megaman was in the new Smash Bros. that it was going to be American Box art Megaman like in Street fighter X Tekken.)) But as He said, he wanted Nintendo Gaming Icons.

As for Tales series, I wouldn't mind Lloyd being included. Mostly because Symphonia is the only game in the series I've played.

Now for FAR FETCHED CRAZY THINGS I WANT AND WILL BLAME SAKURAI FOREVER IF THEY DON'T INCLUDE.

I wouldn't mind X showing up with Zero as an Alt. Like Shiek or the alternate Pokemon. X being a great Distance fighting character, but loosing some in close combat, with Zero being the opposite. Unlikely? Oh hell yes. To the point of Reaching a 0% chance. Cool as all hell? 100% chance.

Someone somewhere suggested Majora's Mask Link. God it'd be fun to give him Those Alt forms. Even less likely than The above.

Also, give us Simon and Kevin (Captain N) for a Captain N dream team ((Simon aside, Even less likely, due to Sakurai wanting to focus on games))

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2013, 16:41 
Root Administrator

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
I find it odd that people are okay with the Villager being included but not the Wii Fit instructor. If anyone was going to be more suited to fighting (not that that matters in this game), it would be the Wii Fit instructor, since she's, you know, a fit adult. I don't think it's necessarily sexism (as some have claimed) but it does strike me as odd, considering both make sense to include given other characters that are included (and there aren't very many women to begin with so the inclusion of another one is great). That said, I'm fine with both.

As far as characters I'd like to see added, I'd rather Lucina be added than Chrom. Chrom wasn't a particularly interesting person to me during the course of the game. I'd also love to see Yuri and Repede from Tales of Symphonia. Tom Nook and the Nooklings would be amusing, since they could throw money bags at you. I'd also love to see (and this won't happen for sure but) Din and Nayru from the Legend of Zelda Oracles games as some kind of support characters. Maybe freezing time or changing seasons or something.

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2013, 17:01 
Veteran

That's a great point made about the Wii Fit trainer (my opinion wasn't sex based, or anything, please don't get me wrong XD) However I will go on to say that she has more of a place in the SSB universe than Sonic and Snake does.

Also, I can't believe I mentioned Simon from Capt. N and didn't think about Sakurai adding Kevin himself.

*EDIT* Just saw this on Reddit/r/gaming, would be interesting to see her added in as well.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2013, 17:59 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
Oh I wasn't saying you were being sexist! It's just that I've been reading a lot about the inclusion of these two characters and a lot of the complaints against the Wii Fit trainer can be applied just as easily against the Villager or even older characters like Mr. Game and Watch, and people were noting that there are way more people upset (some vehemently so) about the Wii Fit trainer being added than the Villager, leading some people to wonder if it was subtle/unconscious sexism. Especially since people also complain about Zelda being in there as well. I was just saying I don't know that I think it's sexism but it's certainly interesting to think about.

I hadn't thought about Cooking Mama and I have to admit, if she were included, I'd likely play as her purely for the lulz. Can you imagine her throwing wooden spoons or salt shakers at you? Brilliant!

I do think Nintendo is going the right route in sticking purely to Nintendo characters/characters that have been predominantly featured on Nintendo systems, though. One of my friends that just got back from E3 was sitting next to some GameStop employees who... well, I'll just quote her:

Quote:
Stuck on a bus with GameStop employees saying the only reason why Nintendo games are rarely traded in to GameStop are because the demographic is only little kids who only get 2 video games a year and become attached to their titles. And that Nintendo games don't hold that specialness that games like "Halo" have. Really hard to bite my tongue. Some dude said "Nintendo games aren't just Mario. It's also Fire Emblem and Zelda". In which he replies, "Well, never played them." Ugh.

Yeah.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2013, 18:43 
Veteran

Ignorance must be bliss. This also shows the kind of people Gamestop likes to hire. Ever since the whole gaming hype started and these random people sprung up out of nowhere calling themselves gamers just because they played a Mario game and Halo and then spew things like this, ugh it just makes me cringe. I mean it's like if I tried calling myself a novelist, which is ludicrous considering my awful grammar and spelling. A true gamer would appreciate games regardless of their genre or audience. I've seen game reviews from people whose favorite genre are shooter games, but still give decent reviews of RPG's, platformers, ect. ect. With that said, I feel like I've been out of touch with nintendo for a while, it's almost overwhelming to see all of these Nintendo brand characters all from different games.

Back on subject, I saw a video where they where talking about the possibility of Mike from Star Tropics being added in. They even had a model of what his character would have been if they decided to keep him in Brawl

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2013, 20:25 
Root Administrator

WHAT I LOVE THAT GAME ARE YOU SERIOUS WHERE IS THIS VIDEO

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2013, 20:34 
Veteran

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPQMKD4P ... be&t=4m39s

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2013, 20:39 

I'm going to keep wishing for the same character I've been wishing for since Melee was announced.

Geno from Super Mario RPG. I know Squenix owns him so he's technically a third-party character, but dammit, he's only ever been in Mario RPGs, so in my heart he's still a Nintendo character. :\

Otherwise, from the Namco side it would be cool to see Yuri from Tales of Vesperia or Lloyd from Symphonia, or any Tales character really. Also kinda hoping for some Klonoa love. :D

And, of course, Little Mac is long overdue to be on the roster, and I'd like to see Chrom even if he had to replace Marth (but Ike should definitely stay) or alongside both of them.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2013, 21:06 
Veteran

I would kill to have Geno put into the roster. Jesus, nostalgia.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2013, 21:35 

L Award (1)
I Feel Chrom would be a third or replace Ike, on the basic principal that the Non Marth FE character is from the most recent ((Or soon to be)). I mean, Two games isn't exactly a streak, but it does seem to be the trend. But I would be dissapointed if they got rid of Ike.

And I think I heard somewhere that Geno was in one of the Mario and Luigi games as a Tutorial guy.

Edit. Host to a mini game, apparently.

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2013, 23:21 
Veteran

This game looks pretty cool so far. I'm not a huge fan of speculating characters that might be because mostly I don't care. Doesn't matter to me which characters they choose, they're always good games. Gonna probably pick it up for Wii U and 3DS unless they're carbon copies of each other, then I'll just get it for Wii U.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2013, 00:04 

Avalon wrote:
And I think I heard somewhere that Geno was in one of the Mario and Luigi games as a Tutorial guy.

Edit. Host to a mini game, apparently.

He was in the first Mario & Luigi...almost 10 years ago. :( And that's how I found out Squenix owns him, because in the credits it says he was used with their permission.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2013, 01:00 
Veteran

Someone on reddit noticed that Arena Ferox is in the SSB4 3DS version as a Map.

This sheds some hope on either Chrom or Lucina being added as a character.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2013, 02:26 
Root Administrator

Please Lucina and please let her wear her mask, ugh. She's such a great character.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2013, 02:42 
Veteran

Honestly, I feel they could do a lot more with Lucina over Chrom Story wise. What I would do is have her show up in front of Marth (assuming they keep him) with her mask on introducing herself as Marth for some good ol' lulzy Nintendo antics. Then later (if they remove the mask) Make sure the mask is an Alternate skin of hers, Like Wario was.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2013, 03:05 

Absentee (1)
Regarding FE: I'd rather see Lucina than Chrom, but not on the same roster as Marth. Maybe as one of his alternate skins? Ike isn't really relevant anymore but he had one of my favourite movesets so I don't know how I feel about that. Some of Chrom's animations are close enough, so really they could swap them both in over the existing duo~~~

Regarding the Wii Fit Trainer: yeah she fits better than Sonic or Snake but neither of them fit so that's not saying anything. Honestly, my reaction was "is that actually a thing? I guess that's a thing, huh."

Cooking Mama would have been an excellent choice, which makes me wonder if anyone's actually pitched that to them yet. Professor Layton could be fun but a puzzle-based moveset sounds dumb, and the same applies to the attorneys. Tales I never got into but it does kind of seem like it deserves a spot.
I'm still holding onto the hope that rare will license them Conker or Banjo (or even Joanna), or that we'll see some square or dragonball characters but that's pretty obviously a pipe dream.

Quote:
Someone somewhere suggested Majora's Mask Link. God it'd be fun to give him Those Alt forms.

I had no idea how much I wanted this until now holy shit

Actually, forget that. Give us Tetra.

::Join the Immortal Sword Network!::
Website - Forum - Facebook - Twitter - DeviantArt

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2013, 03:33 
Veteran

Myke wrote:
I'm still holding onto the hope that rare will license them Conker or Banjo (or even Joanna), or that we'll see some square or dragonball characters but that's pretty obviously a pipe dream.

I share that same pipe dream with you. The day I see Chrono or the Black Mage is the day I'll die from cardiac arrest induced by over dosing on fanboy glee.

Well, Kefka would be choice as well over Black Mage.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2013, 04:32 

Well, on the Square front, don't forget that these things happened:

So there's always a preposterously slim hope they'll call up their buds at Squenix and ask for someone.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2013, 10:57 
Root Administrator

Myke wrote:
Regarding the Wii Fit Trainer: yeah she fits better than Sonic or Snake but neither of them fit so that's not saying anything. Honestly, my reaction was "is that actually a thing? I guess that's a thing, huh."

This is a game where Jigglypuff can be an actual contender. I don't take the game even remotely seriously enough at this point to consider what "fits."

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2013, 05:24 

Absentee (1)
There's a pretty neat structure to the roster, really. It's like a big marketing campaign with some game mechanics wrapped around it. You give the most spots to the flagship titles (Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, DK, Metroid, Kirby), and including a few niche titles (Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, Pikmin) makes sense, but then things start getting more obscure. Pit came out of nowhere, but Sakurai was plugging his upcoming Icarus game, so okay. Why would you advertise ROB or G&W? They're in for pure nostalgia, I guess?

But all of these titles are aimed at a certain demographic, and there's practically no crossover between this crowd and the Wii Bowling crowd. None of the soccer mums are going to want to play a cartoony fighting game, and the neckbeards absolutely hate [s]motion controls[/s]wagglan forever. The more I think about it, the more it seems Sonic and Snake are actually better fits than her. Sonic games have been selling pretty well on the Wii, and while the crossover between 'wanting to train brightly coloured animal mutants' and 'wanting socio-political commentary through espionage action' is slim, it's there.

idk I'm rambling aren't I

::Join the Immortal Sword Network!::
Website - Forum - Facebook - Twitter - DeviantArt

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2013, 16:19 
Root Administrator

Myke wrote:
Why would you advertise ROB or G&W? They're in for pure nostalgia, I guess?

Yes. For those that played them anyway.

Myke wrote:
But all of these titles are aimed at a certain demographic, and there's practically no crossover between this crowd and the Wii Bowling crowd. None of the soccer mums are going to want to play a cartoony fighting game, and the neckbeards absolutely hate [s]motion controls[/s]wagglan forever.

Except it isn't just soccer moms playing Wii Fit. That's a huge misconception about the game. Wii Fit was one of the highest selling games for the Wii, and it's actually part of why sales boosted after that huge slump they had. Hell Wii Fit was why my dad bought the console the begin with, and he's definitely more of a "neck beard" (whatever that is, I mean I know literally what it is but...) when it comes to video games than he is a soccer mom.

While Wii Fit itself has its flaws when it comes to how much fitness it actually supports, it's been used by the military and other organizations for rehabilitation purposes. It's sold nearly 23 million copies worldwide, and Wii Fit Plus is at a little over 21 million. There's a lot more overlap than you're making it seem like there is. Wii Fit is the 13th best selling game (Wii Fit Plus is 15th) of all time according to their numbers (source). Other places have similar placement of the titles. (By the way each of those games have sold only slightly less than SSB, SSBM, and SSBB sales put together; that total is 24.31 million.) Hell, Wild World only has 11.86 million sold, and the entire Animal Crossing franchise gets to about Wii Fit Plus-level sales.

Hell considering the fact there was so much divisiveness on the subject shows how well-known of a character she and her male counterpart are. I mean, for real, it wasn't like people were like, "Wait, who is that? What game is she from?" I won't say that NO ONE said it, but I certainly didn't see any sort of reaction of that ilk at all. She's not Random Indie Game Character #86. Most of the arguments against including her are based off of supposed notoriety or popularity or fit (lol fit), but those arguments don't hold up based on sales or Nintendo's own choices for previous game rosters, as you've even pointed out. How many kids in the "neck beard" category grew up playing Game & Watch? ...Probably not many.

Like I said, there isn't any real reason to not include her. The game may have a nice roster but it's still pretty lulzy, it's Nintendo-based, and well, I just can't take the game seriously enough to be like, "lol she shouldn't be included because reasons," especially when those reasons don't hold up. I mean, if you don't like using her, don't use her, but it's not like Nintendo isn't allowed to add other characters and she's taking up a spot for someone else. I mean, technically she is, but Nintendo wasn't like, legally required to set a certain number of characters to add to the roster, if that makes sense.

By the way, despite the length of this response, I'm not upset about this or assuming anyone is vehemently against her or anything, haha. I've just had various friends link me to stuff on this recently so it's fresh on my mind and I seriously don't understand the "she doesn't fit" argument because... I mean she fits as much as anyone else does. A few similar arguments were made about the Villager, but I'm like, they have THREE Fire Emblem characters and not a single title has apparently broken one million in sales worldwide. Sooo... just don't use him?

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2013, 16:45 

SSB isn't about fitting in characters that appeal to certain demographics or hold relevance to one particular group...it's about pure Nintendo fanservice, cramming in as much and as many characters, worlds, and references from any and all Nintendo games purely for those who love seeing all things Nintendo come together in one place. The third-party characters are just as important since Sonic has seen a revival on the Wii and Snake got his start on the NES (in the US anyway, since no one here had a MSX), same with Mega Man...it's all about pulling from Nintendo's past and present and finding a way to wrap it all up into a game, and what better way to do that than make them all beat the crap out of each other?

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2013, 11:33 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
Medusa wrote:
Like I said, there isn't any real reason to not include her. The game may have a nice roster but it's still pretty lulzy, it's Nintendo-based, and well, I just can't take the game seriously enough to be like, "lol she shouldn't be included because reasons," especially when those reasons don't hold up.

NO ITEMS

FOX ONLY

FINAL DESTINATION

Seriously though, all I know about it is that I'd be pretty stoked if Phoenix Wright or Professor Layton made it in there. Or Sissel. (I know that last one's not going to happen, but I can dream.)

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2013, 13:20 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
The Time Being wrote:
Seriously though, all I know about it is that I'd be pretty stoked if Phoenix Wright or Professor Layton made it in there. Or Sissel. (I know that last one's not going to happen, but I can dream.)
Out of that trio I'd give Layton the best chance. Final Smash: Characters collapse into puzzle pieces and have to reassemble themselves while Layton lays the smackdown on them.

But yeah, Ghost Trick probably doesn't have the notoriety Nintendo would like and Phoenix...well on the one hand he'd be a bit tricky to get enough moves for, but assuming that's done, Nintendo is just...weird about the Ace Attorney series. "Ope, let's not translate this one game because well, I dunno, let's not. Maybe that was a mistake, we'll translate the next one...but you're still not getting that last Investigations title cause it's not popular in English speaking regions, right? Oh, right. Right. Our bad. Sorry."