All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 478 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: SW:TOR
PostPosted: 28 Nov 2012, 21:56 
Administrator

Medals: 20
Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
We've found it's better to use this registration/signup link than the other one that's plastered all over the mainsite:
http://www.swtor.com/r/QKr8Wx
Trust me, you'll save yourself much potential heartache. And rage.

If anybody is considering joining the Mercers who SWTOR, all the PvE players are on the
Shadowlands server. Cataphrak has true PvP characters on PvP servers; a Trooper on Vornskyr and a Warrior on Swiftsure [Note: these servers have been merged since those characters were created; this post will be updated with the new server ASAP].

Mercury has its own Guild with the Imperial Faction:
Battlegroup Mercury, and the Republic Faction: Astrarigae. You can contact anyone in this thread who has posted characters about joining. Both guilds are currently lead by Zeth.

-=-=-=-=-=-
Note that the following text is from before I had played much of the game, and not posted at the same time the above information was provided. For more insightful and experienced opinions, move along through this thread.
-=-=-=-=-=-
So since so many of us around these parts of the web are playing this now, I figured we might as well have a place to talk opinions, offer advice, ask questions, etc.

I'll just start by sticking in some of my general opinions and observations thus far, mostly taken from when I was talking to Les earlier and some conversations I've had with Chad, Crys, and Venni.
Basically that started because Pedro's been playing as a subber for a while and has been disappointed by and large. Now, I haven't played anywhere as long as he has,but he's a subber and I'm an F2Per, so while we may not be on common ground, we're at least on fair ground, since if a subber can find negatives but a F2Per positives, there must be a middleground somewhere.

A paraphrasic summation of Pedro's opinions given to me were something like this:
The F2P model isn't all that great because it's constantly slapping you around with reminders and teasings about things you cooouuuld be getting if you were a subber. The class stories tend to be clichéd rehashes of "typical" Star Wars character stories, with the exception of the one everybody agrees is good, which is the Imperial Agent, because there's never been Secret Agent story to dwell on in the headlining Star Wars canon. Example given of poor class story writing: the Jedi Consular, which essentially a rinse-lather-repeat of go to infected Jedi master, cure or kill, the end. At the end of the class story you're pretty much portrayed as a "chosen one" sort of figure, which comes across as cheesy and exhausted. Outside the class stories, there's no specificity to the quests, since they're shared between the other three classes of your faction, and sometimes even with the other faction (Imps/Reps working together on Tatooine), and more or less consists of gathering a lost item(s) or beating up the opposing faction or revolting/malfunctioning elements. this is disguised earlier in the game by context associated with the class stories. This gets really stale beyond level 35. And lastly, the light/dark alignment of your character is barely of any consequence at all, since nearly no NPCs take any note.
/pedroinanutshell

Class Story opinions to follow.
-=-=-=-=-=-
Now as said, I haven't played as much as Pedro. I've been teaming up with Venni a lot, since our characters complement each other pretty well (him: tank, me: healer, disabler, also soon to be buffer), so we've been sharing bits of each others' class stories as we're completing them (SITH BROS 4EVAR). He's playing a Sith Warrior (Marauder AC), and I'm playing a Sith Inquisitor (Sorcerer AC). Admittedly, watching what I have of Venni's class story has made me glad I haven't gone with Warrior. It really does come across as a cliched andstereotypical rehashing of what Sith are "supposed" to be, and doesn't add any depth to the involved characters. His boss in the story, Darth Baras, or as we call him, Tinface, is a stereotypical brute who gets frustrated when he can't just force an answer out of somebody, and reduces Venni's Warrior's role in the story to thug errand boy and even explicitly in story to "enforcer." I agree with Pedro on that mark. The Warrior class also seems to be kinda funky to play as IMO. It's currently last in my preference of classes to play, just below Trooper.

Now on the other hand, I've rather enjoyed my Inquisitor's story thus far. I work for Lord/Darth Zash after getting past Overseer Harkun. Harkun is purposefully made to be a favourites-playing douchebag pushing his own agenda, and the writers, to their credit, did a decent, if not amazing job making me hate the guy. Zash, on the other hand, is a little bit of what I imagine some people would describe as a "conniving little bitch," but I personally like her. She explicitly subverts the standard Sith mould, and is not averse to showing displays of happiness. Rather than being a brute, she's more of a bookworm, and deals more with politics and powerplay than overt displays of power or menace. Her appearance of NOT being all that powerful is something she really plays to her advantage. Now, it's true that an extent, you're also her errand boy/girl during a good chunk of your class story, but the way it's played off is, to me personally, rather appealing. You're essentially a Tomb Raider most of the time. And who doesn't like Tomb Raider? When you aren't a Tomb Raider, you're an infiltrator, dispensing the Sith equivalent of "justice". I'm not saying this story isn't flawed, even for the approximately only half of it that I've completed, but any game you play's going to be flawed in some ways, and I've enjoyed what they've done here overall.

Now as regards the other classes.

I haven't played the Bounty Hunter yet, but I will be when Mage starts her play experience. That having been said, I've knocked about Hutta a bit with Crys, who is playing a Bounty hunter and I haven't heard any complaints from. Hutta is the starting location for Bounty Hunters and Imperial Agents. I liked Korriban (Sith class starting location) more than Hutta, but that's probably just owing to the archaeology of it all. I'm biased like that. Hutta came across as being a little bit smaller too, but then, I was just following Crys for the most part, so I probably didn't see all of it.

Chad (not Chaz) has played quite a bit of SWTOR from what I gather. At this time, when I've played with him, he's been doing the Agent story, and I've only heard good about it. I'll be able to see for myself once again when Rachel starts playing, since she's said she's going to be an Agent. Given Pedro's generally negative opinions on the stories and his still being in approval of the Agent story, I'd say this one's in the clear. But I honestly don't know anything about it myself yet.

Now the Jedi Knight seems to have the most going for it in terms of story options. From what I infer, the game overall seems to be geared toward portraying a male of this class as the "main character." From what I've heard, it has a boatload of story options. Other than that, I don't know much about this one either, but I imagine it being generally positive, if somewhat, yes, rehashed. All the good or evil (the only two real options here) Jedi Knight stories have been reiterated, most likely, in this class story. If you like those stories though, hey, why not?

As far as the Consular goes...I unfortunately haven't heard anything about it that makes me disbelieve Pedro's opinion of it in the least, and this strikes me as a real pity since it seems like a fun class to play in regards to abilities and what not. I honestly would have expected more diplomatic missions from this class story. All the previews of the class by the SWTOR team seem to build up something like that. Don't know what's going on there.

Now the Smuggler. Oh the Smuggler. Okay, so, I've heard lots of conflicting things from sundry sources about the Smuggler. The way Chad put it, he was disappointed in the story not making the smuggler more Han Solo-ish, which is what he had gone in anticipating. I think. someone correct me if I'm misrepresenting. there was the issue of the smuggler being expected to be a sort of smooth-talking womaniser sort with lots of flirting options, but turning out to have next to none (though the Inquisitor must surely have that beat--I've had exactly one opportunity to flirt and it was a clear dead end). Ironically, this seems to be the opposite from what Pedro was reporting, namely that he thought the stories in general were too MUCH like the Star Wars canon characters they were associated with. The biggest problem I've observed about the class though--and just so you know, Smuggler is the least chosen class in the MMO according to the stats--is that people just don't see it as being a Star Wars universe character. Crys put it well by stating that it's a lot more appealing to Browncoats, i.e. Firefly fans. They reek of Space Cowboy, and I agree with Crys 100%; the space cowboyness of them is undeniably what drew me straight to them. After Inquisitor, Smuggler is the class I most wish to play. I was honestly a bit surprised to see it chosen so infrequently. And Agent's just above that, which is weird because everyone seems to like its story, but not weird if we assume that the "it's not very Star Wars-ish" sentiment has a high worth in the deciding factors of who's playing, which I'll get too shortly.

Personally, I had anticipated Trooper to be the least chosen. It strikes me as a brutish and boring class, and i can easily imagine the story being something to the tune of "enlisted nobody becoming decorated war hero because of million-to-one odds beaten," which I frankly don't care about at all. It's just like Pedro's opinion of the "Chosen One" vibe in the Consular story, which I agree with the lameness of. That having been said, those are only my supposition. I know nothing about this class. There simply must be something more too it, because it seems to be moderately popular. It's beating out Agent handily, at any rate, according to stats.
-=-=-=-=-=-

Now as regards the game in general.

Pedro stated that he's rather perturbed that there's no real story after X point. It's just all raids and fetch quests. Aaand yeeaah, I can see that forming even now. I haven't gotten the brunt of it yet, but if you like story driven games, I can see that becoming a problem soon for me, since I do. apparently it is for Pedro, who knows some things about MMORPGs. I personally think that SWTOR is a great game from its launch, but that it's not going to prove sustainable. It simply doesn't have any great writing ability behind it at this juncture. People are going to continue to play it and join up because it's Star Wars. LucasArts knows this, so there's no real motivation for them to write really good stories, which LucasFilms and LucasArts have rarely done since the earlier '80s. Some of the Rogue Squadron games and especially KotOR are notable exceptions to this, and if they can latch onto whatever winning formulae they had going on back-set for those projects, they'll have something for SWTOR. I personally think that's what's to thank for the infamous Agent Storyline. But in general, I don't think we can count on the Lucas folks to provide any future content that adds great story to the game. As far as Disney's concerned, I want to pull a quote:
dinowoman wrote:
Oh, the thought of Disney trying to write anything for star wars appals me.
Simple statement: Disney's inhouse people can't write good stories for anybody over 10 years old. The only thing I can see Disney contributing to Star Wars in terms of good writing is if they by some miraculous effort of corporate coersion managed to get some of the better Marvel writers or PotC writers on the SWTOR team, and frankly, you probably chuckled to yourself just reading that. It's a more-than-slightly-absurd fantasy, which still has a great margin of error. [As an aside, Star Wars fans in general may be interested in the updated information here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_ ... pisode_VII ]

This has been my second biggest reason for not looking into a regular subscription for SWTOR (the first being simple: money). I see myself enjoying the variety of Star Wars universe exploration SWTOR has to offer with each of the character classes until those stories end, after which, I'll enjoy it for being able to play with my friends. After the stories start to get excessively stale and good stories inevitably do not get patched in, my interest may very well wane. And really, I don't see much in the Subscription that I couldn't live without, with one exception. Character quantity cap.

A F2Per can only have a max of two characters. Yeah. And that's simply not acceptable. Now if I could sub for a month and then make all the characters I want and then just not renew, I think I can hold onto those chars. I mentioned the idea to Chad, and he gave me the impression that such was possible, though I can't recall exactly what he said he did in that regard, so I can't say with certainty that it's actually possible. There were some patch notes I cam across on the subject that implied that the dev team was aware of the concept but wanted to eliminate it as a way of cheating the system as it were in a future patch, but that's been several patches ago and there's been no movement on it. That having been said, I just can't think of a reason it wouldn't work at this juncture. I don't think even LucasArts would just delete characters like that, and how would they decide which ones to put into storage until you renewed? Ask you I guess, but that seems...bad form. I dunno. It WOULD sync with my one big but rather vague complaint about TOR, and that's the dev team seems to differ from WoW devs in that they're clearly out to provide what they think users want so as to turn a profit, rather than share a story, setting, or gameplay style that they like with other fans of the genre.

Gigapost End.

Post subject: Re: SW:TOR
PostPosted: 28 Nov 2012, 23:05 

I like being an insubordinate ass to Baras. Actually, I just like being an ass in general...near the beginning of the game I got jumped by my "rival's" goon and when I had him on the ropes and he begged for his life, I made him give me his credits to spare him then I killed him anyway. This game really lets me bring out my dark side while also indulging in my sarcastic bastardly nature. XD

The two character limit doesn't really bother me at this point since I pretty much planned on doing one Republic and one Sith character anyway. Whenever I get tired of my warrior (moreso than I am now) I'll just delete him and start a new class. I don't really see myself playing by myself that much anyway since it's more fun with friends, so there wouldn't be any point in making a bunch of characters I'll likely never use. For my Republic character whenever I get around to it I plan on using either a magic (or whatever the equivalent of magic is in the SW universe) using class or a class that uses blasters, so I can try my hand at something other than running up to everything and whacking it to death.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2012, 23:12 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Then you're going to want to avoid the Jedi Knight class and go with either the Consular, Smuggler, or Trooper. Your playstyle seems to favour the Trooper, but if you want a force user you'll need to go with Consular.

As for the char limit, I just get way too attached to my characters to let them go, and chronically produce far more than anybody healthily should.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2012, 20:35 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
I actually like the Bounty Hunter storyline. I will agree that Jedi Knight is generally pretty rehashed, but I actually went for Jedi Knight specifically because of the opening sequence where Satele Shan kicks the everloving shit out of everyone. I haven't played as anyone else, but Chad makes Imperial Agent sound really fun. Like Venom, I have one Imperial and one Republic character. As far as subbing and unsubbing goes, you'd be able to make up to 12 characters I think? Maybe that's just the number Ashe has made and not the max. But if you go back to unsubbed, you can only play with two until you sub again. I'm not really a fan, even though I'm not an "altoholic," as Ashe calls himself. Also I heard somewhere that you can only make two per server, but I haven't tested that rumor.

But like other games, as a female I have gotten ONE flirt option, and I think it was Chad that said that's probably just going to be the way it goes for all female characters in the game. I guess guys get more, even if it's not much more. I can't flirt with my companions as a Knight, as two are Droids and the other is female, and they still haven't added in same sex options. I've also been called sir several times, which is weirder in Star Wars than it was in Mass Effect, because with ME you can at least argue that it's military-style so it's not as blatant (though you can't argue that when they explicitly call my FemShep a "he".) As a bounty hunter, I have had one flirt option and it didn't really affect anything, and again, my companion is a female so I can't flirt with her. If we're going to go with flirting being a fun thing (and I think it is), I'm going to stick to Mass Effect or Dragon Age for that.

I think it's possible for Disney to bring in their better writers, but more likely only for future movies. They don't really have an interest in making or maintaining franchises beyond Kingdom Hearts. Well, that and Epic Mickey I guess. But maybe that will change.

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2012, 20:49 

Interestingly enough, I've had two flirt options so far, neither of which I took because my character is an idiot. One of them was with those aliens that have red/orange skin and spikes on their faces and his pickup line was "nice red skin" (seriously) and the other was a girl that gives you a side quest in one of the tombs on that planet with the Sith academy, but she was worried about some dude who went into the tombs so it didn't seem like the best time to try to put my moves on her. >_>

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2012, 23:47 
Administrator

The latter is the only one I've had, and is obviously a dead end.
Also, that species in the first experience is a Pureblood.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2012, 03:45 

I decided to start a Republic character, as a Smuggler. It was either that or Trooper, and Trooper seemed like it would be boring. I rather like the class so far, going pew pew pew at things is pretty satisfying, and the range of skills isn't terrible either. As for the class not being a womanizer, I don't really care (my character is a woman, for one thing) because most of the dialog options at least have the smug sarcasm down, which is perfect for me. ^_^

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2012, 11:26 
Administrator

Venom wrote:
I decided to start a Republic character, as a Smuggler. It was either that or Trooper, and Trooper seemed like it would be boring. I rather like the class so far, going pew pew pew at things is pretty satisfying, and the range of skills isn't terrible either. As for the class not being a womanizer, I don't really care (my character is a woman, for one thing) because most of the dialog options at least have the smug sarcasm down, which is perfect for me. ^_^
So basically, we're going to have the same Republican starter character. Not that that's a bad thing, mind you.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2012, 13:10 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
Are you guys still on Shadowlands? If so, add Karenstarr (me), Dhuske (Ashe), and Phantomex (Chad).

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2012, 15:19 
Administrator

I know I will be, yeah. I'll do so once I create my Smuggler. Probably this evening after I check up on my auctions.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2012, 17:02 

Belle wrote:
Are you guys still on Shadowlands? If so, add Karenstarr (me), Dhuske (Ashe), and Phantomex (Chad).

I'm still trying to figure out how to add/invite/basically interact with people but once I do I'll get right on that. ^_^ (Edit: I probably should have said my character's name is Qallista, so, yeah, that's who that is if I invite you guys or whatever.)

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2012, 18:38 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
I'm trying to get into this since apparently it's so great and I know Zeth is waiting on me, but damn this download is taking forever.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2012, 20:08 
Root Administrator

Venom, /friend name

also /whisper name is how you PM someone.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2012, 03:02 
Administrator

Ha, you fools; you never said how deliciously simple it is to manipulate the Global Trade Network. It's like exorbitantly charging babies for candy.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2012, 03:29 

Haha, holy crap guys, I'm walking on sunshine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpzOdQVCKlM (I would embed it, but it shows the old version before Youtube cropped out empty space for some reason. Makes it tiny)

This happened earlier when I was playing and tried to climb over that broken wall that I run towards in the first few seconds. The video is laggy and mute because I don't have an actual real recording program and used my webcam's screen capture function to record this. I haven't been able to find my way back there so I don't know if I'll be able to do it again, but if I can I'll make a better video (I'll have the game in fullscreen, for one) and hopefully get to do more than just run around a bit. :))

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2012, 08:52 

Medals: 4
Best Artist (2) Absentee (2)
I've got an Inquisitor (assassin) at the moment, on the Shadowlands, and a Warrior (juggernaught) on Harbinger. To clarify for those that don't know yet, your character lists are dependent on the server you're playing, so you -could- get around the character limit by hopping servers. Not a great way to do it, as you miss out massively on the Legacy system, and it'd be hard to mix up parties, friends, and most other things regarding other people, but still an option.

I'm finding the game pretty fun so far, the story that I've seen so far for both Inq and War haven't struck me as particularly spectacular, but I'm enjoying them, and the game has successfully gotten me hooked, so I think I'll be playing for quite some time. I'm still not sure why Bioware didn't simply make a single-player game with optional online-multiplayer 'bring-your-mates' system instead of an actual mmo, aside from making money... though I suppose that, as the developers, they were tied down by a brief and such.

My Inq is called Sirriax (predictably), btw :D And, as usual, I'm thinking of making comics that I never will, based on some of the dumber stuff this game does. Like the credit rewards you get from certain quests by mail... I for one do not like being assured that I'll be rich after helping out on a particularly frustrating quest, only to be emailed barely enough credits to buy a pair of decent gloves as payment...

I'm also a little annoyed at the now-typical bioware conversation system. It's annoying to pick a seemingly suitable/badass chat option, only to have my Assassin bitch out and prostrate himself in front of Zash, and have that beast of a companion chuckle his 'like' bar into the negatives for it.

...Also looking forward to getting my own ship. Massively so...and I'm tempted to get a one-month sub just for the HK companion. Also, I'm not sure how well it would work, but the monthly pay-out of cartel coins that you get for subbing might dish out enough to unlock some character slots permanently? Something to consider, methinks.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2012, 13:05 
Administrator

Don't go for the sub in order to get the HK unit JUST yet--even if you sub he's in a Lvl 50 area. So best to wait until you've levelled.

Also, hang in there with the Inquisitor's storyline. When you get part of the way through Balmorra it takes a few levels in awesome. I can't say that much for the Warrior story, which is still pretty lame.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2012, 18:42 

xD Aye, I'm hanging on until I've cleared at least one story :P I think that the legacy system would let you unlock him for all characters on that server once you have him anywho, so it'd be better to plan this out more carefully before investing.

I'll stick to the inquisitor until I either finish it, get too busy to continue playing, or get bored of the gameplay. As it is, the new stuff I keep getting every couple of levels (skills-wise) is enough to keep me interested on its own, so I'll be fine :P Thinking of bounty hunter next though. Then I wanna try a republic character xD; probably a consular or smuggler.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2012, 19:02 
Administrator

If you plan on a BH, you should wait for Mage. She and I are both going to be doing new chars that start on Hutta when she's ready.

By the by folks, what's the word on a Mercers Guild?

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2012, 20:16 
Veteran

I dunno if you guys want to wait on me. I'd love to have some company to play with, but I'm experiencing some computer issues over here, so it could be a while.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2012, 20:51 
Administrator

If that's the case I'll just play the character I have or a Republic character until you're ready. I'm really in no rush.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2012, 01:07 

Same, here. No rush xD Lots to do as it is~

I'm in favour of a guild, I'd certainly join if there was one to join.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2012, 12:30 

Medals: 1
Absentee (1)
you took away my hotbars?

are you serious, bioware? this is how we're going to do this? you're going to hold my hotbars to ransom?

No, fuck you. I gave you everything from the moment your beta went public. I taught some two-hundred newbies how to choose their advanced classes and how to find the crew skill vendor. I found dozens upon dozens of errors, terrain glitches and UI bugs. I wrote goddamn fanfiction about my characters.
I spent three months refining my UI, my key configuration and my hotbar layout: I engineered a system so perfect that I could play any class using only WASD, R, F and 1234 (using shift, alt and ctrl to have complete access to my ability set across those few keys).
And this is how you repay me? No. No, I don't think so.

::Join the Immortal Sword Network!::
Website - Forum - Facebook - Twitter - DeviantArt

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2012, 13:03 
Veteran

Right, well, got that worked out, I'm in. I have an Imperial Agent named Bracha, since sadly Braca was taken. Head's up: I don't know what I'm doing.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2012, 15:32 

Hmm, now I'm torn between a Bounty Hunter and an Agent for my next character ><; And don't worry, that just makes things more fun for everyone involved :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 478 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next