All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 09 Jun 2012, 01:02 

Medals: 2
Best Newcomer (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1)
So here's a discussion topic I thought a few people might have fun with.

I'm trying to put together a column about video game villains who create plans that don't seem terribly sensible on a base level. Obviously, there are villains so absolutely insane that their plots don't make sense to the player for one or more reasons, but I'm talking about the kind of plan where you feel like the villain's plan, even if it was successful, wouldn't work because they'd get to the completion point, stop, and say, "Welp, now what?"

So far I have:

Sofia Lamb, Bioshock 2 (wants to create the ultimate altruist, has no idea what to do with this after she does).
Hans Tiedemann, Dead Space 2 (allows a giant slab to be built on his station that turns humans into meat monsters, prepares for this not even a small bit, has no idea what he's doing).
Osmund Saddler, Resident Evil 4 (kidnaps the president's daughter and infects her with a parasite to cause a disaster in the US, has no idea how the CDC actually works).

I want to get to at least six, ideally, so I was wondering: anyone else have any good examples?

I care because you do.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2012, 01:25 
Root Administrator

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
Any of the Pokemon villains, really, but I always Team Plasma was the crackiest. They're like, wreaking all this havoc and stuff... to free Pokemon. Like they actively try to capture Munnas to invade people's dreams. They're capturing Pokemon in order to free them. And all this would do... what in the end?

Aqua vs. Magma was pretty ridiculous too, now that I think about it.
LET'S COVER THE EARTH IN WATER
NO LET'S COVER IT IN LAND

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2012, 13:36 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
I think Team Aqua was the worse of the two, though. LET'S COVER THE EARTH IN WATER EVEN THOUGH IT IS ALREADY COVERED IN WATER AND WATER POKEMON ARE THE MOST COMMON TYPE EVER EVEN THOUGH WE DON'T ACTUALLY HAVE ANY OURSELVES.

Off the top of my head, the first thing that comes to mind is the antagonist behind Professor Layton and the Unwound Future. [SPOILER] First it appears to be a guy who once tried built a time machine which exploded, killing the woman he loved. In response to this he wanted to build a working time machine so he could go back and prevent the accident from happening. How does he go about this? By building a giant replica of London-ten-years-in-the-future underneath the actual London so he can kidnap scientists, bring them down there, and tell them that the only way they'll ever get back to their own time is if they build a time machine for him. Then it turns out that the guy behind that guy is actually a young man whose parents died in the aforementioned explosion and he's angry because one of the guys who worked on the project went on to become Prime Minister and nobody cared. He wants to make politicians sit up and take notice for once, so he diverts the previous guy's scientists to work on a giant mecha for him, with which he will destroy London. [/SPOILER] I'm not sure what's worse, the plan itself or the length to which it almost succeeded.

There's also Bodhi from Baldur's Gate 2; not that she has a particularly stupid plan, or any plan at all, really, but her interference in someone else's plan causes it to fail utterly. [SPOILER]She and her brother Irenicus were once elves that committed some atrocity and got banished from Elfland with their souls stripped from them, thus also taking away their immortality. Bodhi gets around this by becoming a vampire; Irenicus concocts a complicated plan to give both of them a soul transplant. He succeeds in removing the PC's divine soul and tells Bodhi to kill the PC and their party. Instead she decides she's going to play cat and mouse with you and gives you a head start, which is the only thing that allows the second half of the game to occur at all.[/SPOILER]

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2012, 17:04 
Veteran

Medals: 4
Funniest Member (4)
I never really understood the point of Ultimecia's plan in FF8.[spoiler]So you want to collapse all of time into a single instant to create a universe where only you (and Squall's party, because they get to be special) can exist. Okay. Why?[/spoiler]