All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: MercuryCraft
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2012, 23:30 

Medals: 4
Best Newcomer (1) Best Graphic Artist (3)
Ok guys and girls, I've just posted this thread:
[url=http://mercuryice.com/showthread.php/5479-MercuryCraft-Animation-Narration-Request!?p=206427#post206427=[URL="http://mercuryice.com/showthread.php/5479-MercuryCraft-Animation-Narration-Request!?p=206427#post206427"]http://mercuryice.com/showthread.php/5479-MercuryCraft-Animation-Narration-Request![/url]
It is relevant to our server, so please check it out!!

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2012, 23:35 

Hmm...I may need to be set on Creative once I'm whitelisted (that is whenever you feel like it. XD)

I'm pretty good with gathering materials but with what I build...it tends to be a bit of a hassle. :P

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2012, 23:37 

You can set yourself as Creative in the Town Hall. I'll give you a tour as soon as I can find the IP so I can whitelist you! Haha xD

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2012, 23:24 

Ah, sorry for not building anything yet, semester started up for me, so the most I can do at this moment is hope for a day when there isn't much for me. I will however be designing what I plan on building.

I may end up flying off and building a modernised city somewhere away from other people's builds but I have to make sure the design I have can work for it. (ceiling won't be too big a problem, nothing should reach it. Unless its a building spire.)

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2012, 00:03 

That's fine, build what you like, whenever and wherever you want to xD
I'll be popping in over the next few days but I've been out of touch with it for a while.
I got halfway through a frustrating project and went back to Skyrim instead.

Off to bed now, though, 'night!

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2012, 20:38 
Dino

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Just a heads up that the Mercurycraft server's currently down due to a problem with a mod. Hopefully it'll get sorted out soon.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2012, 21:03 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
I was just about to pop in and say I was going to try to get in on some action this coming week. I haven't been able to due to school but I would like to get on there soon.

I'm not sure what to build or where, though. XD

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2012, 11:55 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
What server do you guys actually use? And how does the software reside on said server? What kind of support does it need?

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2012, 19:47 

There are two kinds of common Minecraft server.
Both rely on the Minecraft "minecraft_server.jar" provided by Mojang, the developers, but one of them utilises its own server wrapped called CraftBukkit (Bukkit for short), which adds mod functionality and permissions other than "if you are a server admin you get every privelege and if you are not, you get none".
Obviously, Bukkit is the way to go.
The flaw with Bukkit is that the Bukkit wrapper is not an official tool supported by Mojang, so whenever a new Minecraft update comes out (which is regularly) the Bukkit team has to take some time to catch up and improve functionality.
Equally, each individual Mod associated with Bukkit has a similar relationship with the wrapper itself. When Bukkit updates, many mods break and need to be updated - which falls to the Mod developers. It's a slow process and those most affected are the players.
It often takes a maximum of two weeks, sometimes longer, to get all functionality back.
I'm currently looking into updates for each mod (which in itself takes time) and then I'll have to figure out which Mods I can keep in order to continue running the server smoothly.
Most recently a mod (which I suspect is MagicSpells) caused significant damage to the server by freezing A LOT of water for seemingly no reason.
I've taken the server down because MagicSpells will become a heavily integrated part of the server in the coming weeks and I'd rather take the server down until, say, this weekend and try to find a solution than remove the mod altogether.
Xotamé is working VERY hard to try and create an optional RPG aspect to the game which relies heavily on MagicSpells. On top of that, one of our most widely used mods, ControllerBlocks, seems to be breaking as well.
The server's been flooded with [SEVERE] warnings, which are something I refuse to ignore.
Until further notice the server's down and there's pretty much nothing I can do about it until Mojang FINALLY implements mod functionality (something they promised they would over a year ago and have as yet neglected to do).

I hope that clears up some of the questions surrounding the downtime, and please don't hold me to the "it'll be down until the weekend" thing, because that's just an educated guess.
I'll try my best, but ultimately it's down to the mod developers at this point.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2012, 20:07 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
Hey man, don't worry about it. Keep the server safe and such. Let us know when you're back up. ^_^

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2012, 17:02 

Right, it seems to be stable. :D

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2012, 22:41 

so this is a thing now:
i'll make a proper post about it tomorrow

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2012, 00:05 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
Well I guess I need to buy this now.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2012, 05:36 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Ooh, it'd be awesome if we had you on board too!

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2012, 14:09 

Thanks to Fox's generosity, we have a year's professional hosting now and a permanent IP for as long as we're using it :)
The server will remain up 24/7 and hopefully we shouldn't see some of the performance issues we'd been struggling with before.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2012, 21:03 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
I'd just like to say a huge thank-you to Fox for this. The level of his generosity in this is staggering!

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2012, 18:07 

Yeah he paid for two thirds of the server. I put a lot toward it too (more than I probably should have, I ended up paying around half of what Fox did, haha).
If anybody wishes to donate toward server costs, my paypal account is clansoul@clansoul.com, and any small amount is appreciated!

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2012, 23:45 
Root Administrator

Hey Sam I dunno if you saw this but you're talented so I thought I'd show you it in case you'd be interested: http://www.planetminecraft.com/blog/jr-network-competition/

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2012, 15:30 

Naw I'll pass but thanks anyway.

Just gonna leave this note here; the server will be down most of the time for a while because this was a BIG update and lots of mods are currently completely broken.
We have to wait for updates to our more crucial mods before I can safely leave the server up unsupervised.

Update: Tom and I have decided to set one of our old maps as the default world. There are no mods, permissions or rules; you can build stuff, explore, destroy stuff with TNT and whatever as kind of a placeholder world.
I recently melted most of the map so it looks really strange and cool, go wild.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2012, 17:22 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
I bet you'll get a new someone hanging around the server soon regardless of what the default world is.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2012, 17:56 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
I sincerely hope we get that new someone. It's a shame you haven't ever fancied getting into Minecraft yourself.

(Hey, it's just occurred to me that Midgard Below - or at least the Weavers' part of it - might be a fun thing to build.)

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2012, 19:23 
Administrator

It probably would be. The Pinnacle and the Armoury and perhaps even Icarus' Roost.

And you will.

EDIT:
[QUOTE=The Time Being;208098]Yeah, I might need to get changed to Creative, because I seem to have fallen down into this catacomb like area near the spawn point and I can't get out.

It's dark down here. It's very dark. [/QUOTE]
It is dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

It will probably be Sooki.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2012, 17:50 

Right just a belated head's up;
the server is relatively stable and usable right now, a couple mods are missing but nothing treacherous.

The old MercuryCraft map is in stasis and currently unavailable due to incompatibility, though I may make it available later.
You'll have to re-establish yourself in our new map, called Bivofur, which features things like RAINFOREST BIOMES so that's cool.

Anyway, it's all working fine and I hope to see you all there soon, apologies to David who can't currently continue with his project.
If that's a problem, though, I can probably import it from MercuryCraft but I would prefer not to do that.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2012, 17:46 
Veteran

Funniest Member (4)
Better to lose a half-done project than a completed one, I suppose.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2012, 10:40 

Heh, yeah.
Sorry about that :/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next