All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: MercuryCraft Discussion
PostPosted: 27 Oct 2011, 12:38 

Medals: 4
Best Newcomer (1) Best Graphic Artist (3)
[align=center]Image[/align]

[font=book antiqua]Here is the Sign Up Sheet![/font]

MercuryCraft is live!

MercuryCraft Server IP:
[align=center]108.170.14.146:25567[/align]

In order to join the server you must first apply in the MercuryCraft Sign Up thread and be added to the whitelist.
You must respond to the thread with your MINECRAFT username so that you'll be authenticated by the server.

You will be able to enter Creative mode by asking an admin to set you Creative, but be warned that griefing will have you locked in the Jail in Survival mode and you will not be able to escape. Please do NOT use fire or lava - this is a trust issue at the moment while I wait for fire-spread nerfing mods to become compatible with the current version of the server.

One thing to note is that this is NOT fully working yet - I am still waiting on a bunch of updates.
The server is functional and has more mods than the vanilla version but until all the mods are sorted you won't have as many frills as I'd like.
It's pretty much just build and stuff at the moment, but that's ok because it's a freebuild server.
What this means is that you'll get a nice taster of what the server is about, then you'll have a few more special treats and surprises as and when they become available! So that's good, really.
It should keep things interesting, at any rate.

The server rules are both in-game (written in Varach castle to the right of the spawn) and listed on the tumblr page, as well as some more information which can be found at http://mercurycraft.tumblr.com.
Inside the castle there are four bulletin walls with four different uses:
one wall contains the rules, one has a list of email addresses for staff members so you know how to contact us, one is a wall of important URLs
and finally, the most important wall:
a bulletin board.
basically you can post jobs, expeditions, item sales and requests, properties you're selling etc. on this wall and people can contact you regarding your bulletin.
for example, if you build a house you want to sell you can put it up and people can contact you for a viewing of the house.
also, one may wish to set up, say, a bakery and sell baked goods via a bulletin post.

Some of you have expressed an interest in a Skype chat group, so there will be one run by Kuzzah and I, which I can invite you to if you add me on Skype (my username is "clan-soul"). I'm usually online, so I will accept you pretty soonish and you can get stuck in.

I do have one spare Minecraft account for anyone who wishes to test out the game before joining fully, and I will be happy to PM you the password or send it to you via Skype if you express an interest in that too. If more than one of you wants it, you'll have to work out a schedule between yourselves but I'm happy to just give the password out to whoever wants it if you PM me.

Hopefully that should be all you need to get started, dino and I will be online most of the time, as will Ganymedian and Kuzzah some time over the weekend. If anyone with some minecraft experience wishes to become a moderator, feel free to drop me an application via Skype or PM, I'm looking for people to keep an eye on the server back or forward in time, most of the staff at the moment are based in the UK and can't look after the place all the time.

P.S. I have no idea why there are no hostile mobs - working on it.

[s]Hello! As you know by my username, my name is ClanSoul. I am a Minecraft enthusiast.
I know there are a few members who already play Minecraft and some who are possibly thinking about trying it out, so I am here to find out exactly how many of you are interested.

The idea is to set up a Minecraft server open only to Mercury Ice forum members, run by myself, dinowoman and a very reliable admin named Ganymede with whom I've worked before on a previous server.

The server will be based on freebuild (this means that you're free to build anything you like, from massive castles to giant pixel art) with several groups one is able to switch between which offer different styles of gameplay - the two main styles will be Survival (i.e. traditional minecraft - mining and building things with what you can obtain legitimately) and Creative (access to unlimited items and the ability to build anything really easily).

There will also be a selection of mods and plugins to enhance gameplay, so it'll be a unique and fun server which will hopefully captivate and entertain you.

The server will be set up once Minecraft makes its full release, so hopefully there will be fewer interruptions due to updates.
It'll also take that long to set up and test to make sure it works and is secure, so I'd say the server will be up sometime in December.

The purpose of this thread is to determine how many people are interested and get a general headcount so I know what I'm working with :)
If you're new to minecraft, don't worry - we're all really helpful and you know dino well enough to be able to ask her for help with starting!

:)

p.s. I'm really proud of that logo, heheh.
p.p.s we now have a tumblr

Edit: to those of you viewing this from tumblr:
Welcome! Please join in this discussion, all your opinions and ideas for our upcoming server will be well received and considered!

Update: The server will hopefully go live on or around Nov. 25th, a week from today. Please add your minecraft username to the sign-up sheet (linked above) to be added to the whitelist![/s]

Post subject: MercuryCraft
PostPosted: 27 Oct 2011, 12:56 
Dino

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
I'm really excited at this proposal. I was involved with ClanSoul's previous Minecraft server and found it great fun. We were discussing the idea earlier and were hopeful that, apart from providing some gaming fun for current MI members, it might bring in new members from amongst the MC-playing community - ClanSoul's earlier server attracted a lot of interest from outsiders. Apart from the server itself, we would have a sign-up thread here on Mercury (so people would have to join Mercury in order to play) and also a discussion thread for players (and anyone else), so it should generate some forum activity (and hopefully then lead to new members posting in other threads too).

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2011, 12:57 

Ello, everyone! I'm Nezzie, more commonly known as Ganymedian, Scuttlebuggy, or 'hey stop hitting me'. As ClanSoul's already said, I've worked with him and the lovely dinowoman on a previous Minecraft server. I really can't wait to get into the game again with fresh faces and new places to park terribly-thought out buildings.

[align=center]buh[/align]

Post subject: Yaaaaaaay!
PostPosted: 27 Oct 2011, 13:23 

Ok guys here are all your glorious overlords (and overladies?).
Nez/Ganymede/Ganymedian/Scuttlebuggy/Buttface is lovely and you will hopefully love him/her/it as much as we do :3

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2011, 20:19 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
I don't play Minecraft right now, but I've been wanting to ever since having a bit too much fun with the demo. I only just recently got a computer up to the point where it can be run and I'd definitely join up a Mercury server if it was there, though it might take me a while to get the game in the first place (I have no income). Though, I can't guarantee that the computer that can run Minecraft will still be working in December, so there's that too. But if it is, I'll definitely join up and probably contribute nothing useful.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2011, 20:57 

Yay! I'm excited.
I hope everything is in order when you want to join xD
I'm gonna try and make sure it's easy to use and figure out what to do in the server, so don't worry.
You should try some single player while you're waiting for it to be set up :D

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2011, 21:59 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
I've never played, but I think this would be fantastic.

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2011, 22:06 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
I would just like to say that I've spoken to Dino and ClanSoul about this already, know their plan of action and what it entails, and think it's a great idea with a load of potential. If we were able to tie Mercury member accounts to the Minecraft accounts, we may even do that. (Though so long as it's detachable, I would think.)

I can also vouch that The Javaman, who moved here from the Comm would also be very interested in this opportunity. He's been wanting to get back into Minecraft recently, but wants to find a nice group that doesn't have too many newbs or too many experts, but is nicely rounded.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2011, 07:49 

I'm so glad I have both admins on board with this idea!
dino mentioned it to me and I kind of leaped on the suggestion and fleshed it out - knowing what running a server entails I know what is possible.
The way that the connection between Minecraft and Mercury would work requires a database so as long as you have access to the database you'll be able to just drop those tables if and when you ever decide to remove it.
The only problem is that I actually have no idea how the connection will work, and I outright refuse to even suggest going ahead with a database connection without understanding all the relevant information, given the risks involved.
Feel free to have a look, though, here's the link to the plugin I've found:
http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/authdb/

Edit: I also hope that nobody will mind if I, uh, get a head start and import my castle in from my old server... among other things...
I made some really cool stuff and I don't want to lose it :P
If anybody here was actually part of the old server, feel free to ask me to import things in via MCEdit before the world goes live, as well.
In fact, I think that is a great idea because then it won't begin with a totally blank landscape and people can draw inspiration from pre-made structures from my past world.

Also I really kinda want to keep my temples, heheh.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2011, 09:17 

The only thing on Ilihect I actually put any amount of effort into was the lighthouse, and I can always build a new one of those. I think we can both agree that most of my houses were crap anyways.

But! I have been messing about in single player and I think I can make a house that isn't a complete failure this time. I hope.

[align=center]buh[/align]

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2011, 10:58 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
I'll have Zeth look at what you posted, Cransour. He's turning into the resident expert at that stuff anyway. =)

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2011, 11:07 

Alright, thanks :D
I'm working on the map at the moment, I'm going to set up a spawn point at which new members find themselves upon joining, as well as a tumblr account and a nice set of rules which I'll discuss with Ganymede.
I think I'll try and keep this thread alive with updates and progress reports, as well as for taking suggestions from prospective players for plugin ideas and the like - so if you want to see anything in the MercuryCraft server then please speak up and I'll do my best to accommodate :)

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2011, 11:56 
Veteran

Funniest Member (4)
Sounds interesting.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2011, 12:22 

David! I was telling dino yesterday that I hoped you'd get involved :)

Edit: I made this:
http://mercurycraft.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2011, 17:09 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
[QUOTE=ClanSoul;204935]The only problem is that I actually have no idea how the connection will work, and I outright refuse to even suggest going ahead with a database connection without understanding all the relevant information, given the risks involved.[/QUOTE]Most wise.
[QUOTE=ClanSoul;204935]Feel free to have a look, though, here's the link to the plugin I've found:
http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/authdb/[/QUOTE]Seems straightforward-ish, or at least not something I can't learn. The only thing I'm concerned about is that this is clearly developmental, and the known issues list is not small.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2011, 18:34 

Yeah, but bear in mind that with the full release of minecraft will come full, stable releases of mods - at the moment developers are forced to churn out unstable releases as soon as they can after the latest of the frequent updates. The full release will be in November, and then I'll allow a few weeks for mod developers to make a stable release, so that's why I estimate the MercuryCraft release date as somewhere in December.

My point is; hopefully there will be a full, stable release sometime after Minecraft finishes updating every other day.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2011, 19:06 
Root Administrator

Seems logical. At any rate, MI does a full backup daily, so we can always download that backup before upgrading/changing anything.

Also I pimped it out on my Tumblr which also pimps it out on my Twitter.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2011, 20:38 

Nice! Thanks :D
Looks like Kuzzah is gonna be joining - she's from my old server.
At least, she's following MercuryCraft on tumblr, so...

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2011, 23:05 
Administrator

[QUOTE=Champagne Supernova;204969]Seems logical. At any rate, MI does a full backup daily, so we can always download that backup before upgrading/changing anything.[/QUOTE]:ditto: that sentiment.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2011, 23:07 
Root Administrator

Thanked for the pun.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2011, 09:29 

Awesome! Glad to have you guys on board.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2011, 09:39 

Medals: 14
Best Poster (2) Most Whiny (1) Best Blogger (1) Most Creative (1) Best Traditional Artist (2)
Too Sexy For This Site (3) 2009 Halloween Costume Contest (1) Best Username (1) Spamwhore (2)
Oooh! Definitely interested. I've always wanted to play Minecraft, so when it fully launches (WOOO!), I may get it. Not sure if I should get it on PC or Xbox 360. Normally, you'd think I'd want it on PC but I really only use the Windows portion of my Mac for running 3ds Max. Rendering a several thousand frame animation takes long enough… T_T

But yeah, if I do this, I really want some help/supervision surviving my first night in Minecraft (you know, not dying and all is awesome) so is it okay if I can somehow utilize a headset or maybe Skype session with you, Clansoul? I just don't see myself doing this feasibly, so much inventory in Minecraft. XD

EDIT: Also meant to say THAT THE LOGO IS FUCKING AWESOME.
PERFECTLY embodies the message and I just loooove how that sexy text just overlaps. XD

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2011, 09:52 

Kuzzah is here!
Okay, so i've never done forums before, so i'm just gonna run with this. Im effing exited for dis server now, minecraft has sucked since Illect went down...

EDIT: For this server, will we be setting up a Skype/Mumble/someother speech communication thing?

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2011, 11:01 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Hey, Kuzzah! Nice to see you around here. We can help strawbs to get the hang of Minecraft and you to get the hang of forums at the same time. :D

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2011, 12:02 

[QUOTE=strawberry_sparkles;204997]Oooh! Definitely interested. I've always wanted to play Minecraft, so when it fully launches (WOOO!), I may get it. Not sure if I should get it on PC or Xbox 360. Normally, you'd think I'd want it on PC but I really only use the Windows portion of my Mac for running 3ds Max. Rendering a several thousand frame animation takes long enough… T_T

But yeah, if I do this, I really want some help/supervision surviving my first night in Minecraft (you know, not dying and all is awesome) so is it okay if I can somehow utilize a headset or maybe Skype session with you, Clansoul? I just don't see myself doing this feasibly, so much inventory in Minecraft. XD

EDIT: Also meant to say THAT THE LOGO IS FUCKING AWESOME.
PERFECTLY embodies the message and I just loooove how that sexy text just overlaps. XD
[/QUOTE]

1) get it for PC - it runs perfectly on a Mac because it's Java based.
2) of course we'll help, we could set up a Skype room for those who want to join in with it.

[QUOTE=Kuzzah;205000]Kuzzah is here!
Okay, so i've never done forums before, so i'm just gonna run with this. Im effing exited for dis server now, minecraft has sucked since Illect went down...

EDIT: For this server, will we be setting up a Skype/Mumble/someother speech communication thing?[/QUOTE]

1) YAY YES WOW HELLO KUZZAH i have missed you a lot
2) see above