All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: PokeThread
PostPosted: 10 Jun 2014, 14:04 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Newcomer (1) Most Serious (1) The Merger Contest (1)
More Images (Zelda Punned for Size):

Link
Zelda
Midna
Zant
Gohma
Wind Fish
Demise

There was also a live Release from Nintendo today, containing a Trailer:

No Zelda Pun this Time.

There are a Number of interesting Things in the Video that are not related to Pokémon as well; it's an interesting Watch on its own, but, as far as the Trailer is concerned.

It looks like the Scene in which Birch is attacked by a Mightyena may have been cut, and we also catch Glimpses of what are likely Fortree City, Cycling Road, Mossdeep Gym, Lavaridge Gym, and the Aqua/Magma Hideouts. Maxie and Archie appear to have animated Models, where Roxanne (and presumably other Gym Leaders) presumably do not. You also see Brendan and May with Mega Bangles (this is apparently what they are called in official Media, but they look like only slight Variations on the Mega Ring), and the Mega Starters, which have already been announced.

The Game itself feels vaguely squarish, perhaps in Reference to the original Sprite-based Graphics.

Edit: Fixed duplicate Link.
Edit2: I hadn't noticed before, but the last Image also shows Brendan in a white Jacket, suggesting Trainer Customisation.

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2014, 14:52 
Veteran

Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
^Your last two image links are the same, btw.

For reference, the Pokemon-related content in the video starts at about 22:24 (but oh my god that Smash Brothers opening). So far my only real impression is that Swampert looks like it's Hulking out in its mega evolution.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2014, 16:48 
Veteran

Zelda Pun 'Demise' corrected.

And sorry I forgot he Time; I had it there originally, but must have edited something and forgot to put it back. Now see the SQUARE PUDDLES.

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2014, 19:28 
Veteran

SQUARE PUDDLES?! : O

The idea of more character customization is interesting (and appealing; can't say I care for the PC outfits they've shown); I can't help but wonder how people would react, since in this case it wouldn't just be altering a new character that had an indeterminate look from the beginning, but changing well-established characters. And how will this affect the Brendan hair/hat debate?

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2014, 19:50 
Veteran

The Official Art now more clearly shows Brendan with Hair under his Hat now, but it's been canonically a Hat for a While (though some very early Art DOES show it as Hair, but that might have been a Colouring Error).

And some People will react badly to the Trainer Customisation, but it's a Feature that I happen to enjoy, so I was hoping to see it. It adds a little more to the overall Immersion, since shopping for Clothing that makes you feel cooler is fun (and if you don't like it, you don't have to do it).

I'm wondering if any of the Kalos Clothing will make a Return, or if the Clothing will be all new. I'm hoping for new Things, but maybe the Ability to get Kalos Stuff in the Postgame or on a second Playthrough.

I also want to be able to have more than one Save File, but that will probably never happen.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2014, 20:18 
Root Administrator

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
So it looks like it still has some of the charm of the older art but little touches that are adorable, like when you fall through a hole and panic and your arms wave.

Yay. More Mega Evolutions.

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2014, 23:55 
Veteran

This Analysis has just made me aware that Maxie and Archie appear to have Keystones, which would imply that, like Lysandre, they have Mega-Pokémon. This could hint at Mega-Camerupt and Mega-Sharpedo. It also speculates on more Legendaries having 'Primal Reversions', especially because Primal Dialga has already appeared in one of the Mystery Dungeon Games; I find this rather doubtful, and if it does happen, I imagine we shall have to wait for Remakes of Diamond and Pearl.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2014, 17:29 
Veteran

A new Mega has just been announced.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2014, 17:54 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
At first I was like,

Then I was like, "Oh! Sableye!"

Then I sat there wondering what the difference was other than a large gem and sort of pointier ears.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2014, 18:38 
Veteran

To be fair that is a REALLY big gem.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2014, 18:47 
Root Administrator

It's about the equivalent of giving Professor Layton an exceedingly large hat and calling him a mega evolution.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2014, 19:50 
Veteran

It also has red Eyes, I believe, and probably some new Ability and about 100 Points added to its base Stats.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2014, 20:56 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
Will somebody please for the love of whatever higher power or ongoing, life-perpetuating process you may put faith in, tell me a good reason to have these god-awful mega-craps in the franchise?

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2014, 21:34 
Veteran

Because, in Spite of the sometimes questionable aesthetic Choices, they can be very fun to use, and also add more strategic Depth in Wifi Battles? It also lends competitive Viability to Pokémon like Mawile, Banette, and Kangaskhan, which wouldn't otherwise have it.

That aside, you can generally get through the Game well enough without using it, since so few NPCs seem to have them. I suppose it wasn't a necessary Addition to the Franchise, and was very much a Case of not knocking it until I had tried it for me (I went in expecting to hate it as a Mechanic, and found I did not mind it in Practise).

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2014, 21:57 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Does adding competitive viability to pokemon that would ordinarily not have it really matter when so many people are upset at being "spammed by more pokemon" every generation anyway? They'll either add new pokemon that are viable or add more that aren't, levelling the field again. I mean granted there may be fans of certain pokemon that would want to see them more competitively viable but...let's take the starters for example: they didn't need mega evolutions to be competitively viable, but most of the mega evolutions we've gotten are starters. Also pokemon like Kangaskhan, Mawile, Banette and Sbaleye--thre of the four I've always wanted to be viable myself--why not just give them a legit new evolution? That's a tried and true thing.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2014, 22:08 
Veteran

It may well have been better to give Mawile, Sableye, and maybe Abomasnow, Pinsir, Heracross, Houndoom, Medicham, Manectric, Banette, and Absol (it might well have been better to do that, in Fact, for several of them), and I do think some of the Design Changes (Pinsir, Heracross, Alakazam, and Gyarados come to Mind) are questionable at best. I suppose I ought to say that I do like the underlying Idea, but I readily concede that the Implementation wasn't the best, and that it now appears to be used to the Exclusion of other Methods may or may not be for the Better (and also would appear to 'cap' evolutionary Lines, like those of Manectric, Houndoom, Absol, and Banette, which could very plausibly have gone further). Then again, it took me a While to really like Abilities (I started with Gen I, and was mostly accustomed to Gen II, when they first appeared, and, other than Levitate, I found most of them confusing because they felt as if they had fallen from nowhere).

I suppose it wasn't needed per se, but it can be fun, but implementing it more cautiously might have been better.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2014, 00:04 
Root Administrator

Albert Clare wrote:
It also has red Eyes

Oh boy.

As far as making them actually competitive, I doubt that's really the case. I crushed Calem's Mega Absol like there was no tomorrow with absolutely no prepping for or expectation of it.

I don't hate the idea, but I do think it's completely and utterly useless. I've used it maybe once per Pokemon that has that ability just to see what it looks like and haven't touched it since, since most of the Mega Evolutions look stupid as hell.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2014, 11:16 
Veteran

The Indentation in the Top-Right Corner suggests that Secret Bases will be back.

There are also some other Screenshots on the Official Site, but not much that hasn't already been posted here.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2014, 17:55 
Administrator

That image is blocked, but regardless, I would love to see Secret Bases brought back. I don't really understand why they would ever not have them after introducing them. Maybe refine them a bit. Add the ability to do global trading from there, wifi battles, an impromptu pokecentre and shop--make it really your home in the game.

I always had my secret base on an island with a single large tree in it south of Mauville City. Sure it required me to have surf every time I wanted to go there, but I usually had someone with surf in my party already anyway, the layout was an almost perfect square that maximised space, and it was a tree house fortress on a frikkin personal island! I loved that place. I would frequently bring Brendan back there when I was done playing just because.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2014, 18:11 
Root Administrator

Oh man, Secret Bases. Those were great. I imagine they'd have them, I mean it's more customization like clothing was. Just my speculation though.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2014, 19:59 
Veteran

Medals: 4
Funniest Member (4)
Zeth wrote:
That image is blocked, but regardless, I would love to see Secret Bases brought back.
This is probably it:

Pretty sure that was a Secret Base spot in the originals, so yeah it's looking likely.

Wonder if this time you'll be able to move/rotate stuff like in Animal Crossing.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2014, 21:03 
Administrator

I hope so. Frankly I dont know why Animal Crossing elekents wouldnt have found their way in sooner. Even the animation and art style are beginning to resemble it.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2014, 22:07 

Medals: 1
L Award (1)
Obviously my opinion is lessened by the fact I haven't played Pokemon in about a Decade, but from what I hear, I suspect the Mega Evolutions were an attempt to shake things up. Obviously I suspect it to be a case of a vocal minority, but I have heard complaints that Pokemon had become strictly formula: make a hundred or so new pokemon, at least half of which filling the roles or older Pokemon, Like the Early Bird pokemon, the rodent like pokemon from the first area, The Quasi-Uber family. Next make a map. Create a Team whatever to cause trouble. Eight Gyms, a League/Champion and sit back a couple years while the fanbase eats it up.

Regardless of the absolute merit to these complaints, They probably heard them and decided to try something new.

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2014, 22:10 
Veteran

I normally hid my Secret Base somewhere on that Route to the West of Fortree that could only be reached with Waterfall and the Acro Bike; I loved how secluded it felt, and was very pleased with it.

As for why Secret Bases disappeared, I have no Idea. They did continue to exist, in a Sense, with the Underground of Gen IV, but it really wasn't the same, and the Multiplayer in those Games wasn't as good, so I seldom thought about it. Perhaps they proved somehow difficult to implement in Isshu? I can't really think of why, since I should imagine it would be easier, other than, perhaps, Constraints of Space. They probably could have been brought back in Kalos, but I suppose that might have provided too much Foreshadowing; it may well have been a Confirmation Bias, since I've really wanted these Remakes for some Time, but I felt they screamed, 'You're getting a Hoenn Remake this Generation!' in Places (though now I can't quite remember where or why).

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2014, 00:42 
Veteran

Secret Bases were ace. I'm particularly glad to see them brought back now that we have wi-fi capability, because I was always a little sad that I missed out on the whole "visit your friends' secret bases!" thing by way of not having a link cable. Or friends.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next