All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: PokeThread
PostPosted: 10 Jul 2014, 17:39 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Newcomer (1) Most Serious (1) The Merger Contest (1)
Corocoro Scans:

Link
Dark Link

Not really much to say on these.

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2014, 17:44 
Veteran

Medals: 4
Funniest Member (4)
I think you forgot a url= there.

I've heard Megagross has Tough Claws for an ability, if that means anything to anyone.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2014, 18:24 
Veteran

Stuff:

Wally and Mega Gallade
Mega Sharpedo and Mega Camerupt

My general response runs thus: I like the Gallade, am indifferent to the Camerupt, and think the Sharpedo horrible.

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2014, 20:53 
Root Administrator

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
Isn't there some kind of Gamestop thing going on right now where you can get something or other? I think it was Heracross or Pinsir, which seemed silly because I guess I just figured most people had a friend with the opposite one. Or, you know, GTS access.

Ehehe the Camerupt is kinda cute.

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2014, 21:46 
Veteran

I got a Heracross a few weeks ago. It's nothing really special. I know they probably won't do it, but I wish there would be a Galladite distribution.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2014, 20:13 
Veteran

Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
I love the grin on that Camerupt's face.

I'm glad we got a mega Gallade just because it seems only fair that he should get one if Gardevoir does, but I can't take Wally seriously with that pimp medallion thing he's got going on*.

*I know that's probably his PokeNav but that's not really what it looks like to me.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2014, 21:47 
Veteran

I think it's a Mega-Thingamajig, actually.

Wally is kind-of an odd rival; I don't dislike him, but I've no really strong attachment to the character other than a fondness for Gardevoir.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2014, 13:16 
Veteran

Funniest Member (4)
New information about Primal Groudon & Kyogre's abilities!

Primal Groudon gets Desolate Land, which seems to be just like Drought except the sunlight lasts as long as PG's out, and blocks other weather changes and Water attacks.
Primal Kyogre gets Primordial Sea, which is basically the same: seems like Drizzle, but the rain lasts as long as PK's out, and it blocks weather changes and Fire attacks.

...I think Groudon kind of wins this one. Kyogre doesn't really get much benefit from being immune to fire.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2014, 18:13 
Veteran

And now, Mega Rayquaza.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2014, 08:19 
Veteran

Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
That poor Swampert.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2014, 11:33 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
I guess I can admit that Mega-Rayquaza looks cool, but I still wish they'd advertise more than the stupid Mega Evolutions they're adding.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2014, 19:47 
Veteran

Hmm, it would be nice to see more of the new Hoenn; I've very high hopes that it will be good.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2014, 22:24 
Veteran

Funniest Member (4)
David wrote:
Wonder if this time you'll be able to move/rotate stuff like in Animal Crossing.
For the record: you can now rotate things, yes. You still do it all from the PC, though.

I'd actually forgotten about a bunch of the Megas they added in these games, so it's been interesting randomly running into mega stones I wasn't expecting. (I also like that they're not limited to one hour a day, in the postgame. That's a plus.)

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2016, 16:36 
Root Administrator

In case anyone needed an update on the new Pokemon and Pokemon forms and such: http://www.pokemon-sunmoon.com/en-us/pokemon/

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2016, 10:47 

Sun and Moon is going to be the generation of Pokémon that turns me into one of those curmudgeony "back in my day we only had 150" types.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2016, 17:31 
Veteran

Funniest Member (4)
Huh, this is the first I've heard about those new forms for old pokemon.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2016, 07:55 
Veteran

I was really not on board with the Alola forms the first time I saw them, but everything I've heard about this generation has grown on me. I think I am just really back into the franchise as a whole. Been watching a lot of Pokémon videos on YouTube, playing Pokémon Go everyday, and I am doing a mono type challenge on Blue Version in my downtime at work.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2016, 03:57 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Kaolin (ClanSoul) got me into Pokémon Go when I went to visit at the start of the summer break, but I've cut right back now, partly because I was concerned about my data allowance, and partly because I discovered my phone doesn't have a gyroscope, which means I can't use the photo function. I was very disappointed about that. (I really can't see why being able to detect the phone's orientation should affect the game's ability to overlay an image of a pokémon on whatever the camera is showing.)

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2016, 06:25 
Veteran

Speaking of Pokémon Go, my favorite spot is done for the season (kinda). I like to go to the boardwalk about an hour from my house around 1 or 2 in the morning as there are usually around 30 people and a good amount of uncommon (and sometimes rare) spawns. I go at that hour because I work nights and I'm up at that time on my days off, too. Plus, I don't like the sun or interacting with people too much, so those early morning hours are the best. But the boardwalk is restricted after 1am in the off season, which started earlier this month. Oh well.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2016, 02:35 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
That's a shame. It sounds like a similar spot to the harbour in Scarborough, where Kaolin and I would go while I was staying there. There was always a gaggle of people playing there. We encountered Kaolin's postman and a grandmother who came to us with a query. She'd been introduced to the game by her grandson, and this was the first time she'd tried playing without him. I wondered if she'd chosen us to approach because I was a fellow older person. XD It was a great location - 4 pokéstops within a few yards of each other, and loads of water types which I've never seen around Warwick. Fortunately (and unsurprisingly) the harbour doesn't close down in the off-season. (Not that we were there at night anyway.)

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2016, 11:15 
Root Administrator

Chicago is great for Pokemon Go. There's PokeStops everywhere, and a decent variety of Pokemon. I am a bit tired of seeing Drowsees and Jynxes though. They're almost more common than Pidgeys and Rattatas.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2016, 13:29 
Veteran

We now have the revelation of the "Ultra Beasts", and the oddity that is "Type:Null", which is the only Pokémon to have its "name" translated into Spanish and Italian (normally, games in those languages retain the English names, but French and German editions localise the names of Pokémon as well). We also have the oddity that is the "Aether Foundation".

Popular fan theory is that the Aether Foundation is the "real" evil team of this generation, but I'm not sure I agree. It's certainly possible, especially in that one of the new "Ultra Beasts" resembles its leader, Lusamine, but that doesn't necessarily mean she, or it, would be evil. On that note, Gladion of Team Skull, and Kukui's assistant, Lillie, are speculated to either be Lusamine's children, or otherwise connected to her. This, I could more readily see. My guess is that neither the Aether Foundation, nor Team Skull, is really evil at heart, though they're probably at odds with each-other, and might end up in an antagonistic role.

Overall, there's the potential for a great deal more plot complexity here than what we've had in the Pokémon of ages past.

On that note, I don't think the Ultra Beasts have been discussed in this thread. A friend and I speculated that they're possibly from a parallel reality, in which they exist, and Pokémon do not; they also do appear to have some connection to the members of the Aether Foundation, as I've already mentioned. I've high hopes here.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2016, 00:06 
Veteran

With the new demos released, we have a Datamine to discuss. Beware, there be spoilers ahead.

The Videos:

My Initial thoughts, Part First:
Spoiler: show
1. Even though some things have probably been lowered, I find it interesting to note that, for Stage 1 Pokémon, Pikipek and Yungoos have fairly high attack stats. It also looks as if the Jangmo-o line is quite defensive. It's a shame if they're slow, though, since Dragon/Fighting will give them a big, ugly Fairy weakness. There's the possibility that their speed has been lowered, though.
2. I'm wondering if the other Kalos starters will get bond forms rather than megas; otherwise, this feels like rather weird Greninja-favouritism (not that that's all that surprising).
3. Psychic Terrain and Throat Chop both look like they could be pretty big competitive gamechangers; I'm hoping to see them used to impede Hyper Voice/Boomburst abusers and the ever-present Talonflame.
4. Aurora Veil feels pretty broken; I'm guessing it's something's signature move.
5. Not much to say about the moves being scrubbed out, or the item sprites actually there; same with the met locations.
6. The Stakeout ability sounds pretty interesting, provided something gets it that can make use of it.

My Initial thoughts, Part Second and Third:
So now we have the whole Alola Dex (probably) spread before us:

1. Starting with the bad, I'm really disappointed in Alolan Persian. The Meowth looked so promising, too...
2. Alolan Diglett is silly, and is maybe Fire-Rock? A Diglett that tunnels through magma?
3. Not much opinion on Geodude, Graveler, and Golem, but my guess would be they're Electric-Rock.
4. Pikachu with Ash's hat is a thing, but I never use Pikachu...
5. The starter leaks are real... I was doubting them for a while, and I'm honestly not too thrilled with this. I'm just not feeling any of them, but suppose I ought to wait until they're shown in non-static images. However, I'm probably boxing my starter this generation (been doing so from Gen V onwards).
6. Pikipek turns into a toucan! I have to admit, I wasn't expecting that, and I kind-of like it, though there are other things I'm probably going to want to use.
7. Crabrawler looks like it has an evolution, too. If I had to guess, maybe Ice-Fighting? If so, that's a unique (but not terribly good) combination.
8. I'm not sure if I find Morelull's evolution cute, or creepy.
9. There's a bug made of bubbles. I wonder if it's actually a Bug-type, or, like Fomantis and Lurantis, will be pure Water, or Water-Electric. That might be more interesting, since we already have an unrelated Bug-Water Pokémon this Gen.
10. Komala, Turtonator, Drampa, Minior, Passimian, Oranguru, Pyukumuku, Togedemaru, Mimikyu, and Comfey don't evolve; disappointing. There seem to be a lot of non-evolving Pokémon this generation.
11. Speaking of which, there's an anchor Pokémon that seems also not to evolve. If I had to hazard a guess at its Type, maybe Water-Steel, Water-Ghost, or Ghost-Steel?
12. We also have more Tapu Pokémon... No real opinion here. They fit in thematically, but I don't really care for them all that much.
13. Solgaleo and Lunala have pre-evolutions? That's kind-of an eye-opener, and the first time we've had anything like this short of Manaphy able to breed Phione, which... doesn't evolve into Manaphy by any known method, and is actually slightly larger.
14. Eight Ultra Beasts... They look nothing like Pokémon... I rather like them, though — it's something new and threatening.
15. Magearna and Marshadow are also kind-of interesting. Guessing they're our Mew/Celebi/Jirachi/Shaymin/Victini/Diancie/Hoopa/Volcanion.
16. I like shiny Lurantis.
17. Ultra Beasts have shinies, which is odd, since they aren't Pokémon per se.
18. Marshadow has almost no real visible shiny difference at all.

My Initial Thoughts, Part Fourth-Fifth
1. We seem to have a lot of new moves, even without counting the Z-Moves.
2. HMs are no more! To think, it only took seven generations for Gamefreak to realise they were annoying! Surf and Waterfall are TMs now, too. Fly also is, but I wasn't really concerned with that one.
3. Only three new TMs otherwise, oddly enough.
4. Bicycles are also gone? I guess they're going to replace it with more rideable Pokémon, but riding Pokémon is fun, so I don't suppose I mind. Hope you get to ride your own at some point, too.
5. No surprise with Primal Reversion and Hoopa Unbound remaining, since Megas, and presumably Zekyurom, Reshikram, and Origin Giratina do.
6. I really hope the encryption is good enough to prevent hackers... Gen VI saw a lot of dubious stuff on Battle Spot.
7. New Pokéballs for Ultra Beasts? I think I like that.
8. Potion changes? Okay...
9. They've cracked the encryption? Already? I hope hacked Demo data instantly fries the 3DS when the retail game is bought...

These are just my first impressions, and my thoughts will probably change with time.

What's everybody else think?

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2016, 14:31 
Root Administrator

Did anyone think this game was super easy until postgame or is that just me? Apparently everyone else that a friend of mine has talked to said the game was hard, but I was overleveled without grinding (did have exp share on though so that could have been it) and rarely used Z moves.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2016, 20:16 
Veteran

Spoilers ahead — read at your own peril!
I rotated Pokémon (had all of Lilligant, Raichu, Ninetales, Arcanine, Mismagius, Umbreon, Sylveon, Milotic, Araquanid, Lurantis, Decidueye, Kommo-o, and Salamence by the end, though some had been dropped or barely used) and so didn't end up overlevelled (the EXP Share will do this to you if you keep it on through the game), so there was some challenge, though I didn't really have big problems anywhere (except during my battle with Ilima, and once with Hau's Raichu, before I had the Umbreon). Overall, though, I didn't think Sun was really very hard, though it was a step up from X and Y as long as I didn't overlevel. No startlingly suddenly more difficulty spikes, like those in the Gamecube spinoffs, or hard final main-series bosses like Cynthia or Ghetsis (or Steven, to a lesser extent): Lusamine's Clefable is the only really difficult thing on her team to beat, and Kukui's pretty easy, too.

Really the hardest thing is finding some of the new Pokémon, or getting necessary evolutionary items for older ones.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5