All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: PokeThread
PostPosted: 29 Jul 2011, 20:15 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
So I know that most if not all of us here on the Comm have at least played or experienced a bit of Pokemon-and several of us have done far more than that-but we don't have any avenue in which to talk about it. Why would this be? Well, now it's not.

Currently I have a defunct copy of Gold, a permanently-on-loan copy of Sapphire, a dusty copy of FireRed, an illegitimate copy of Platinum (shh), an abandoned-until-recently copy of HeartGold and a mostly finished copy of White. Current teams include:

HeartGold:

Zeus the surprisingly badass Tauros
Sergeant the Quilava
Moya the Zubat (turns out they're easier to raise in HeartGold)
Morpheus the SHINY Drowzee
Voltaire the Ghastly, and
Sheik the best Scyther.

Platinum:

Telperion the holy Luxray
Brigadier the badass Scottish Infernape
Monocle the mostly-an-HM-slave Quagsire
LaCroix the Golbat
Angerboda the Weavile, and
Sigfried the Gallade.

White:

Deyna the unfavorite Samurott
Iron Giant the utterly awesome Golurk (he can fly!)
Fenshal the Chandelure (don't ask)
Rannoch the double-kicking Sawsbuck
Colbert, the most badass Braviary EVER, and
Vimes the Stoutland who never actually went away.

Anyone else?

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2011, 07:38 
Veteran

Best Newcomer (1) Most Serious (1) The Merger Contest (1)
Last Playthrough of White (I tried a bunch of different things):

Sophie the Chandelure
Lillie the Lilligant
Potter the Excadrill
Penny the Reuniclus
An unnamed Haxorus
An unnamed Zekrom

Also used —

Elwin the Serperior
Franklin the Carracosta
Millie the Musharna

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2011, 08:09 
Dino

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
I'm very much a newcomer to Pokémon and have only played (and still not finished) FireRed. I'm not sure I can really list a team, since I keep switching different pokémon in and out according to conditions and simply to level up ones I like (I get far too attached to them as characters and don't like to abandon ones I've been using). But the ones who are currently in my team are (yes, far too many water types):

Kaji the (female) Charizard (my starter)
Sam the Arcanine (named after ClanSoul, at his request)
Koi the Gyarados
Georgia the Dragonair
Cobalt the Lapras
Shrooms the Parasect (my utility pokémon (she has Cut and Rock Smash) but she can stand up for herself too - she singlehandedly defeated Gary's Blastoise 11 levels higher than her)

Those six are basically my favourites, but I've also been using:
Georgina the Graveller
Trance the Hypno
Galen the Clefable
Cata the Butterfree

So far I've coped without a decent electric pokémon. I really must level one of them up in the very near future.

Post subject: Re: PokeThread
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2013, 22:36 
Veteran

We were talking about regions over in the Updates thread, weren't we?

Gold was the first game I ever owned, in third grade, so Johto has a lot of nostalgic appeal for me although I confess most of the Pokemon in that gen don't really interest me. Hoenn is hands-down my favourite. I played Ruby to death, and then it got stolen, so I played Sapphire to death too. Almost literally-the clock battery is dead and my brother filled it with Mudkips for some reason.

Sinnoh seems a bit bland to me but I like a lot of the Pokemon. I'm torn on Unova-I give it credit for a lot of new ideas and innovations but some of the design just seems a little odd to me. Kanto is probably my least favourite. It's a bit hard to go back to after all the changes made in the later games and I didn't play it early enough to have fond memories to fall back on.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2013, 00:53 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
He filled your clock battery with Mudkips? I am impress.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2013, 10:14 
Veteran

I have Mountains of fond Memories of both Kanto and Johto, and consequently, it took a great Deal of Time for Hoenn to grow on me, and even longer for Sinnoh (which, in its Diamond and Pearl Iterations is quite bland, though Platinum remedies this), though both introduced Pokémon I like very much (Gardevoir, Milotic, Lucario, Froslass), and both has its own Charm; I started off liking Isshu, but after the Novelty was worn off, I found it has introduced the most Pokémon I dislike (Galvantula, Volcarona, GENESECT — Bug seems to have supplanted Poison as my least-favourite Type), though there are some I do (Lilligant, Haxorus, and Chandelure come to Mind) and my least-favourite Ability (Sap Sipper), and I find the Art 'Evolution' which came with the Generation a Step down from Sinnoh (I rather liked the rougher Style of older Generations anyway).

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2013, 11:22 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Before Isshu Bug was my least favourite type--Ninjask and Shedinja were really the only ones I liked at all (both from Hoenn), but Isshu made me like Bug Type for the first specifically BECAUSE of Galvantula, Volcarona and Genesect. Like those exact three. Volcarona is one of my all time favourite Pokemon. That thing is a beauty and a powerhouse, to to mention it has a cool factor a mile high.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2013, 11:39 
Veteran

I agree on that one, Gen 5 was the first one to actually introduce cool, usable Bug types. I liked the design of Ninjask and Shedninja a lot, but I never actually got to use them. Galvantula in particular is simultaneously awesome and adorable.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2013, 12:46 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
Water/Ice has and probably always will be my favorite, with Psychic as a secondary, and Gen II will probably always be my favorite.

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2013, 15:26 
Administrator

I always had a leaning to Psychic, mostly because I adore Gardevoir so much. It just seems like for every awesome Psychic there is there's a really lame/awful one. And now Faerie type is going to be splitting some away from Psychic, including Gardevoir... I can't say I'm all that enthused about the idea and am rather pessimistic about it, but I'll see how it goes. Maybe it'll turn out to be good.

Ice never had any that really screamed out at me as being great, though there are respectable ones. Well, actually Empoleon is preeeeetty high up there in my regard, so there is that. Water is just so far the hugest type family that I can't pass a solid, broad judgement on it.

As far as Ninjask and Shedinja are concerned, Shedinja I tried hard to make good use of, but I swear, it's one of those Pokemon that make you swear the game is cheating you. Whenever your opponent has one, you can't touch it, but no matter who you throw it against, it gets decked instantly. Oh Wonderguard, you fickle...girl. Ninjask on the other hand I have had some great successes with. The only bug who would ever be featured on my team from time to time until Gen V.

Then there's Fire. Fire overall I have no particular care for, but there are some isolated cases like Blaziken and Volcarona that are fire and I absolutely adore. So I think I'd say that fire overall strikes me as bland but its successes are really GREAT successes.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2013, 15:38 
Veteran

I suppose if I had to rank them, I would say Gens I and II together are my favourite, followed by III, then closely IV, then V last by far. I sort-of consider the first two as a Set, since Gen II was directly and intimately connected to Gen I, and felt more like an Expansion than a Sequel when it came out. Gen III took us elsewhere in the World, which was good and interesting, and introduced new Ideas which were generally sound, though I do not like some of the Changes made to the Data Structure (essentially, the EV/IV System as it now exists), which does not mesh well with the Theme of growing together and working hard to overcome Weaknesses and suchlike.

----

My favourite Type is rather unambiguously Grass — my first Pokémon was a Bulbasaur, and I've always and without Exception chosen the Grass Starter; I'm pretty evenly fond of Venusaur, Meganium, and Torterra, and like Sceptile quite a lot as well, though Serperior feels rather like an inferior Milotic (a Pokémon of which I am very fond), though I still tend to start with Snivy, and then promptly replace it with a Petilil. Lilligant is, admittedly, despite the Generation in which it was introduced, one of my favourite Pokémon, so I suppose it does serve as a surrogate Starter when the real Starter doesn't suit me. I also tend to use rather a lot of Water-Types, and like to have at least one of Arcanine or Entei on my Team (though oddly not both, and I seldom use other Fire-Types).

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2013, 17:39 
Administrator

Mm, starters.

>Charizard by far in Gen I
>I'm really not fond of any of the starters in Gen II, though I have a special place in my heart for despising Meganium. Quilava is amazingly bland in my book. I nearly always go with Feraligatr.
>Gen III is the opposite of Gen II--ALL off its starters are great, though Swampert tends to be my last choice. All of the Sceptile line are amazing, but I adore Blaziken, so I usually go with Blaziken.
>Gen IV...Torterra and Infernape were both okay. No real strong opinion on them one way or the other, though Torterra probably tends to annoy me more than the others just for sundry incidental reasons. Empoleon I really rather like.
>Gen V: Serperior. There is no other choice. I love Snivy/Serperior, despise Emboar, and have no real feelings about Oshawatt.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2013, 18:00 
Veteran

Medals: 4
Funniest Member (4)
Typewise I tend to like the ones that used to be Special back in the early games. Fire, Electric, Ice, Water, Psychic, that kind of thing.

On the starters, I've got two brothers who usually claimed the fire/water ones in advance, so I tend to be left with the grass one. Except in Red, where I was planning to get Squirtle but my brother started a save file on it first and picked Charmander, and I couldn't be bothered to restart. (And that Charmander ended up beating Brock by itself while 4-5 levels below his team, so I'm glad I didn't)

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2013, 18:22 
Veteran

I like Fire in theory, but it seems to have a lot of wasted potential because there are so few Fire Pokemon at all, which of course results in a lower percentage of good ones. Which may explain why I tend to go for Fire-type starters. Charizard in Gen 1, always (not that I've ever beaten the game with one, that I can recall). My brother and I nearly always went with Cyndaquil in our shared copy of Gold; we wound up with scores of Typhlosians via the PC Box cheat. It was similarly nearly always Mudkip with Ruby/Sapphire; I liked Treecko and Grovyle but not Sceptile so much. I'm down with all the starters for Sinnoh, but I'm particularly fond of my Infernape(s). And in Unova it's Snivy. Always Snivy.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2013, 19:19 

Medals: 1
L Award (1)
My favourite types tend to be Water and Fire. To almost the point of stupidity. ((My team against Red in Gold was five water types, two of which being Gyrados (red and blue) and a Charizard. Remember that he leads with a Pikachu.))

Since then, I tend to prefer a certain ideology that transcends type. My team for Red when I restarted it was Charizard, Gyrados, Snorlax, Nidoking, Alakazam, and a floating rotational choice. My favourite area is probably Kanto, but then again, I've only actually played Gens one and two. Charmander and Squirtle tie for favorite Gen I starter ((I also had a Blastoise on my mostly Water team)) and Feraligatr for gen II ((Naturally on my Water team.))

Can't remember the sixth member of my Water team...

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2013, 15:31 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
Starters...

Gen I: Bulbasaur or Squirtle. Never really liked Charmander. Pikachu on Yellow, obviously.
Gen II: Chikorita, or to a lesser extent, Totodile.
Gen III: Mudkip.
Gen IV: Piplup.
Gen V: Oshawott. Gosh Snivy sucks.
Gen VI: Not sure which one it'll be yet but this might be the first gen I actually like the fire choice.

Of course, I was always the "collector" type Pokemon player. I didn't really go in it for battles, didn't compete... I just really wanted to get all of them. So my team changed constantly with all the leveling up I was doing to get peeps to evolve.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2013, 16:14 
Veteran

Something I've been more recently trying is coming up with Teams on which no two Pokémon share a weakness, but a Type repeats more than once:

Kingdra (Water/Dragon — Dragon)
Quagsire (Water/Ground — Grass)
Roserade (Grass/Poison — Psychic, Flying, Fire, Ice)
Empoleon (Water/Steel — Electric, Fighting, Ground)
Mismagius (Ghost — Ghost/Dark)
Spiritomb (Ghost/Dark — Nothing)

I wouldn't normally start with Piplup (and I don't think Kingdra can normally be gotten in Sinnoh), but I still find this an interesting Challenge.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2013, 12:37 
Administrator

My ideal team would be some combination of these twelve:

~courtesy Jayge

EDIT:
#12 is Zekrom; he's missing from looming in the background.
And actually, there were thirteen, now that I think about it. the legendary was an extra. #12 was a Mandibuzz.

EDIT 2:
If I can recall all their names, then from left to right we have...
Haxorous - Vaida
Duskenoir - Bramimond
Empoleon - Boreas
Luxray (Shiny) - Anubis
Blaziken - Zephiel
Gardevoir - Minerva
Flygon - ...Snip (I actually forgot this one and looked it up; I'm a little confused why I named it that.)
Excadrill - Molebro
Serperior - Smugqueen
Breloom - Titania
Urugumosu/Ulgamoth/Volcarona - Shinon

The Mandibuzz is sometimes named Sheeda, sometimes Tanith.
To be honest, I can't remember what I named the Zekrom.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2013, 12:38 
Veteran

I've started on a Work of Fan-Fiction involving Pokémon recently; it's rather fun to write.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2013, 13:29 
Veteran

For those who are yet to see this, I have just received this Link, and I think it positively adorable.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2013, 13:40 
Root Administrator

That is cute, though... I kind of wonder why we need it. We already know how it all started. (What is it with everyone remaking origin stories the past like, decade?)

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2013, 14:31 
Veteran

Well, with all the recent Revelations of ridiculous Things in Pokémon X and Y (the new bizarre Form Changes really bother me), I find this refreshingly nostalgic.

I am not otherwise particularly happy with Nintendo at the Moment.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2013, 15:00 
Root Administrator

Oh, apparently it's just a one-off type special broadcast just meant to promote X & Y. Not its own series. Which makes me feel a bit better.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2013, 17:00 
Veteran

I really would have liked to get a little Series out of this; I have fond Memories of the first Anime Series, though I'm not certain how well I would like it now.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2013, 22:50 
Root Administrator

Apparently, a list of the Pokemon that can mega evolve.

Some of these are OP enough as it is, so... that'll be great for game balance.