All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 410 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 27 Dec 2009, 21:30 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
And now, a brief introduction.
Ever since I found out what Let's Plays were, I've been wanting to do one. I suppose just because I'm incapable of playing a video game without adding bits of backstory and a stream of running commentary in, so the idea of having something to actually do with that particular bit of mental space appealed to me. The idea of doing one on the Comm had been in my head for some time before I decided to go with this game, because I have a long-standing fondness for Pokemon games. I'd been stuck with Sapphire for a long time, though-not that there's anything wrong with Sapphire but it gets repetitive after a while-so going through a different one had appeal to it as well.
This is the first Let's Play I've ever done, so bear with me here. It may not turn out well. My hope is that it will entertain you guys and give us something new and interesting to look at and follow on the Comm, since there's not been much activity here lately. To that end, comments on how well it's going or not going, on whether it's funny or you're hearing nothing but crickets, would be highly appreciated. It's difficult to do any kind of show if you don't even know whether your audience exists.
I pre-emptively give myself permission to doublepost. I will try to keep the updates to once a week at the least, but it all kind of depends on how things go. I can't predict when something bizarre will happen in my life and throw everything askew, like several things did last January. Once I get a bit more organized, though, and figure out exactly what I'm doing, it should be significantly easier to set up, so hopefully it will all go fairly smoothly.
As a note, this isn't meant to be a walkthrough of this game; especially considered I haven't even played this before and only know what I'm doing because of the standard Pokemon game conventions. It's simply meant to be a play-through of the game with added commentary. That means ignoring a fair amount of what I know about the games when it makes for more humor.
Having said all that, let's get started...

-------------------------
Chapter One: Genesis
-------------------------
Yes, hello, mad scientist who lives in my hometown and has severe memory problems. I'm glad to meet you too. Again.
This happens sometimes. You just have to let him ramble for a bit...about the world...and Pokemon...he likes talking about Pokemon...
Ah, he's forgotten me again.
I'm less offended by him forgetting my name as I am by the fact that he can't discern my gender.
:mage:
Oh dear. This is a bit worse than usual.
Let's see. A rival for Mage, a rival for Mage...ah!
It suits him.
Ah! What!?
Oh, sweet.
Well, that was bit unusual. Usually he just talks about Pokemon for a while then wanders off again. I wonder if he knows something I don't?

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2009, 21:36 
Veteran

Like all great legends, I start out in my room.
It's a little disturbing when your appliances start trying to get you to leave.

What else do I have in my room...
Ah yes, my Pokemon book collection. There's not a library around so I stole most of these from Professor Oak.
*Obligatory potion withdraw*
;_;

What's this over by the stairwell...?
Yes, I have a neatly framed little sign in my room reminding me to ask for help if I get confused. I don't know who put it there; it wasn't me. Maybe it was someone who lived here before. Now, I'm no stranger to the practice of writing things down on notes and leaving them around to remind myself, but this seems a little extreme.
Alright, time to head downstairs.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2009, 22:08 
Veteran

Medals: 9
Master Debater (1) Lovable Asshole (2) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Brave New Worlds (1) The Comm's Fanart Contest (1)
Most Badass (1) Master Debater (1) Interwebz Anonymous (1)
I demand to know more about your rival Cata, he seems like the most awesome character in the game. :P

"Those are brave men," he told Ser Balon in admiration. "Let's go kill them."
-Tyrion Lannister, A Clash of Kings

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2009, 22:53 
Veteran

:lol: Ask and ye shall receive.

Oh look, there's Mom.
Therefore it must be true!
Although I can't much blame Mom for getting most of her information from the TV. It's not like there are many sources of information about outside life available in this town, and most of the ones that are are about Pokemon.
But he was just talking to me! What on Earth does he want now? I'm not cleaning up his lab again. Last time I did that it...didn't end well. And he never paid me.
Nothing like The Wizard of Oz to stir up some good old wanderlust.
Mom's obsessive-compulsive.
In the sink?!
Meh, I guess I better see what the Professor wants now.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2009, 22:58 
Veteran

Oh, Pallet Town. I'm really not sure how Pallet Town gets to be called a town, since it has a grand total of three buildings in it. We have more people here than places for people to live. I don't know where they all go at night.

….seems like lately everyone's been trying to get me to leave. Including inanimate objects? This is creeping me out here. ….What does this sign say?
Do you know?
It's exciting!
How confusing. Who put this here anyway? It looks like an official sign, but it could have been this crazy person's idea.
Not any of them that I've seen lately.
And this is my dear friend Cata's house.
It looks oddly like mine, except without stairs. Where does he sleep?
Understandable, since there's not really anywhere else to go around here.
Oak Pokemon. Oakemon? ….Nah.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2009, 23:06 
Veteran

This is Professor Oak's lab. I think he got a government grant to build this. If only they knew what he did with it.

They say they're his aides but I think they're actually robots that he built. It would explain a lot.
Well, they do say you should never meet your heroes.
Oh look, there's Cata. Is he waiting for something?
Indeed not. I learned that lesson well.
And this is known as the Epilepsy Machine.
Wow, contact with the outside world. Is it the government wanting an update on what he's doing with his grant money? ...No, just the Elite Four. Alas.
Now these are new. What need could you possibly have for blank encyclopedias? Oh well, where logic isn't, Professor Oak is.
I like these little maxims here. Some people might have something like “home is where the heart isâ€

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2009, 00:08 
Veteran

Master Debater (1) Lovable Asshole (2) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Brave New Worlds (1) The Comm's Fanart Contest (1)
CATA: "No, I killed him, brainwashed all the townsfolk and took control of the local media, as part of my diabolical plan to make you, my only rival leave. This is all part of my plan to TAKE CONTROL OF PALLET TOWN AND RULE IT WITH AN IRON FIST! MUAHAHAHAHAAAA!"

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2009, 00:26 

Medals: 1
Commer of the Year (1)
There's not really much to rule.

XD This made me laugh. So hard. Thank you Mage, for making me crack up and make my mother come upstairs to make sure I was okay.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2009, 00:47 
Veteran

Buddy, you can have Pallet Town.

Maybe he swam out through this pond...?
Or maybe he went back up this way? He goes out down this road sometimes with his robot aides...
What the...
Where were you?!
Where on Earth did you go?? There's nowhere else in this town you could have been! On second thought, maybe I don't want to know.
Oh God, the Professor has an idea.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2009, 01:09 
Veteran

Well it's your own damn fault for loitering in this lab instead of going out to look for him. You know what your grandfather is like, you have only yourself to blame.
Your grandson, Professor.
Oh, you told him to come too? Great, I bet he wants us to clean the lab again. Or mow his lawn.
I can see that.
This...amuses you?

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2009, 01:14 
Veteran

Oh great, he wants to tell us about his old days of Pokemon training again. Like we haven't heard this story a thousand times over.
Whoa wait, really?! You're actually giving me something?

Yeah, be patient, Cata. I found him, I get first pick.
Hmm...I wonder how anyone fits multiple Pokeballs in their pocket if they're this big? Maybe they close around each other like those Russian dolls.

Easy to raise, huh?

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2009, 01:23 
Veteran

So, not easy to raise, but worth raising?

And this one is neither easy to raise nor worth raising, apparently.

Which one should I pick, which one should I pick...hmmm....
I think I'll indulge my pyromaniac tendencies.
Awwww. *hugs*
Ow ow ow ow ow ow. *sticks fingers in mouth*

Seems obvious.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2009, 01:31 
Veteran

Oh yeah, sure, get the water Pokemon. That'll just make it easier for him to make you water his lawn.

Your Pokemon is a box turtle with a giant blue head. My Pokemon is a big flaming lizard.

Wait, I should be able to get to the next town? What happens if I don't? Good grief, I thought this nation was civilized and everything.

Well hey, now I can go to Viridian City. Finally! I might not come back.
Oh, what do you want.
We just got them! That's always the way with you, isn't it Cata? Battle battle battle, all the time.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2009, 01:31 

Commer of the Year (1)
Charlie.

Hurr hurr hurr.

Make sure he doesn't bite your finger.

Hurrrrrrr.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2009, 01:37 
Veteran

Whoo, my first Pokemon battle. This is intense.

Professor Oak interjects...
...yes, thank you, Captain Obvious.
Many turns later...
BOO-YAH!

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2009, 01:42 
Veteran

OMG!
:|

No, you battled like a twit, is what you did.
Wow, and he gives me money, and everything.
I fear for that Squirtle.
You...what?

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2009, 01:47 
Veteran

WTF? Why is my wallet EMPTY?

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2009, 01:48 
Veteran

What a brutal world we live in.
I wonder what'll happen to this Bulbasaur? I mean, me and Cata are the only kids in the town. Is it just going to sit here forever on Professor Oak's desk? What a horrible life.
I think I'll go show Charlie to Mom.
Some things never change.

I will, Mom. I will.

Off we go to Viridian!

----------------------
END CHAPTER ONE
----------------------

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2009, 02:20 

Commer of the Year (1)
*cue dramatic music*

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2009, 03:27 
Veteran

NARRATOR: Mage and her new friend Charlie have taken their first step towards becoming a Pokémon Master. What adventures await them on the road to Veridian City? Find out next time on "LET'S PLAY! Pokémon FireRed"!

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2009, 07:48 
Dino

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
This thread had me laughing out loud! (And disturbing Ian, who was trying to watch Bones.)

I've come to the conclusion that Prof. Oak is suffering from Alzheimer's. He couldn't remember your name or his own grandson's; he forgot that he'd asked Cata to come to the lab; and he couldn't even identify your gender. Yet he could remember that you'd been rivals since you were babies, and he's constantly harping on about the the days when he was a trainer. Classic Alzheimer's symptoms: short-term memory loss and confusion, but clear memories of the past and a tendency to ramble on about it. Not to mention a tendency to wander off randomly and get lost. And he's probably totally forgotten that he's got a poor Bulbasaur left unattended in a pokéball on his desk. Better make arrangements to get him into a home before he leaves the gas on and blows up the lab, or wanders off on his own through the tall grass (don't go into the long grass!), thinking that he's still a trainer.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2009, 13:01 
Veteran

Yeah....actually when I first booted up this game my first thought was, "Oh dear, I think Professor Oak has Alzheimer's." I didn't really think that was something I should make a running gag out of, though, but he was too nutty not to call attention to, so I decided he was just more of a mad scientist who had gotten old and was now a bit heavy on the "mad" part and not so much on the "scientist" part. Since he's out here in the boonies with his robot aides, the rest of the world hasn't caught on that Oak isn't quite the great innovator that he used to be.

I'm really glad you all like this so much. Thanks for the comments, I'll try and have Chapter Two up soon. It'll probably be after I get my GSA story sent out, since that has an actual rapidly approaching deadline that I need to meet, but that deadline is on Thursday so it shouldn't be too long.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2009, 00:10 

Hmm...I wonder how you will portray the old man?
A senile old fool (yay for redundancy) or as a man who is just an arsch.

Edit: That man who teaches how to catch Pokemon, a skill most people figure out after the first wild Pokemon battle.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2010, 02:28 
Veteran

Alright everyone, I'm sorry this took so long. As I said, I had to get my Governor's School application sent in, and that took quite some time, and then I had to clean my room (as in REALLY clean my room) and then my smaller cousins invaded the house for a weekend, and then we had to take my brother back to college...and then my desktop with all my game files on it lost internet for a week. So, yeah. I apologize. I also admit to not being well prepared here, but I will try to get a backlog going so this doesn't happen again.

In the meantime, Chapter Two. It was originally longer but I realized the length was a bit beyond my reach. Actually, given the time, posting the entire thing tonight is a bit beyond my reach, so the last couple of parts will have to go up tomorrow morning. Sorry 'bout that.

----------------------------------------
Chapter Two: Running Errands
----------------------------------------

So this is Route One. I've only been out this way a few times, since as somebody took the time to point out, it's not very safe, especially if you don't have any Pokemon of your own. I mean, just look at how overgrown this road is, if you could call this a road. Nobody bothers to maintain it. You'd think it wouldn't be too much trouble to run a lawnmower down here occasionally, but no. And since the entirety of Pallet Town seems to be mentally disabled, it's not like anybody down there is going to do it. But hey, now I have my very own Pokemon at last, so I can battle my way up through the undergrowth.

Whoah! It's...it's...a....small...bird....thing. Okay, not that dangerous. At least I don't think it's dangerous. It's staring at me kind of strange. Maybe it's best not to take chances.

Okay, Charlie and I have got this.

Yeah! Take that, bird thingy!

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2010, 02:31 
Veteran

Oof. Okay, don't lose heart, Charlie. It's just trying to make you lose your balance. Don't lose your balance, Charlie. Get that thing!

Whoo! Yeah, Charlie, go!

YEAH! Take THAT, bird thingy! Let that be a lesson to you! Yeah...tackling flaming lizards leads to fainting...good moral, there...

Oh hey, Charlie learned from that too! I'm not sure what he learned. Scratching little bird things leads to success? Hmm.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 410 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next