All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Sonic Generations
PostPosted: 06 Aug 2011, 20:10 

Because we need a topic for it here.
Celebrating 20 years of Sonic, the game to be released will contain the best levels from the entire series.
Currently, the confirmed levels are this:
- Green Hill Zone (Sonic The Hedgehog)
- Chemical Plant Zone (Sonic The Hedgehog 2)
- Stardust Speedway Zone (Sonic CD, as a boss fight against Metal Sonic)
- City Escape (Sonic Adventure 2)
- Rooftop Run (Sonic Unleashed, showed at the end of the City Escape trailer)

For now, gameplay vids for the 3 levels that gameplay has been shown of:

[video=youtube_share;eWdKcDy2jZQ]http://youtu.be/eWdKcDy2jZQ[/video]

[video=youtube_share;dUSwdOv8_ek]http://youtu.be/dUSwdOv8_ek[/video]

[video=youtube_share;HsKwNWYowwY]http://youtu.be/HsKwNWYowwY[/video]

And now if you excuse me I'll go fanboy over Chemical Plant in HD.

~Begin the annihilation~

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2011, 21:35 

I'm looking forward to this :)

[align=center]Image
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][/align]
[align=center][font=Lucida Sans Unicode]And from the ashes...
I was reborn...[/font][/align]

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2011, 14:54 

I absolutely cannot wait for this game. I've given Sonic second chance after second chance no matter how many times I'm disappointed, and I never get too excited over an upcoming Sonic game. But this...this is different. I can't contain my fanboy glee much longer, because this game looks like it'll absolutely blow my mind with nostalgia, among other things. Sonic Colors was a pretty good game so I think Sega is on the right track to finally making the great 3D Sonic game that everyone's been waiting for since Sonic Adventure.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2011, 18:08 

Medals: 1
Faux Album Contest (1)
I want this game. I've been a Sega Child my entire life and I don't plan on stopping now. Service Games all the way!

Oh and informationed gather from the Summer of sonic/Sonic Boom Festival:

Levels
[B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I]Boss Fights[/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B]
  • [B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I]Classic Metal Sonic (Boss of Stardust Speedway; race similar to the race from Sonic CD)[/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B]
  • [B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I]Shadow the Hedgehog [I](Sonic Adventure 2)[/I][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B]
  • [B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][I]Silver the Hedgehog [I](Sonic '06)[/I][/I][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B]
  • [B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][I][I]Death Egg [I](Sonic 3)[/I][/I][/I][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B]
  • [B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][I][I][I]Perfect Chaos [I](Sonic Adventure)[/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B]
  • [B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][I][I][I][I]Egg Dragoon [I](Sonic Unleashed)[/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B]
  • [B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][B][I][I][I][I][I][I]Time Eater [I](Final Boss)[/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B]

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2011, 19:56 

Well, that's certainly an interesting list. Though I have the feeling that's not all of the levels, seeing how our good friends the Red Rings are back. Short one-act reps from the main games or something to get Chaos Emeralds sounds like an option to me. But we'll see.
Also, while I'd rather see Sonic CD and Sonic 3 get another rep rather than Unleashed and Colors get one (As they're recent), I can live with this. And I'm so glad that 06 got a rep. Game is terrible, but levels like Crisis City had great ideas, so seeing it actually done justice will be awesome.

~Begin the annihilation~

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2011, 23:48 

New trailer! Seaside Hill, Rooftop Run and Chemical Plant! And a neat surprise at the end!

[video=youtube;XN2ODzSbdtc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN2ODzSbdtc&feature=channel_video_title[/video]

And of course, obligatory screenshots:

http://segahd.com/?p=2122

And now, allow me to speak. Some speculation on my part:

Actually, this has me thinking...
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/AlexBCA/23804SG_ssh_act1_23.jpg
In the 20 years of Sonic video thingy, we saw this part when they showed Hydrocity.
Not only that, but we can see the Flying Battery in Rooftop Run. And they showed Carnival Night in the video, specifically, Sonic bouncing from a balloon, which we know are part of... Yes, Rooftop Run!
Wouldn't surprise me if there's something from Palmtree Panic in Green Hill that we haven't noticed. Or something from another level in City Escape or Chemical Plant.
So... Spoilers from here.

Speculating here, how about in Crisis City we also go through the remains of Kingdom Valley in flames, channeling the feel of Marble Zone? Or Planet Wisp having mechanical areas reminiscent of Metropolis? Basically, all the levels we saw in the video could be represented, just in other levels in different ways.

~Begin the annihilation~

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2011, 19:15 

More info given at Gamescom!

Source: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a335912/sonic-generations-preview-gamescom-2011.html

"Sonic Generations is Sega's way of ringing in the twentieth anniversary of its iconic mascot. Combining the side-scrolling simplicity of the character's early Mega Drive outings with the intense 3D action of Sonic Unleashed, it's an attempt to please everyone.

The game features old and new incarnations of the spiky speedster, and reworked stages from every era of his history. Digital Spy went hands-on with the title at gamescom 2011 to see whether this combination of old and new is up to speed.

Sega kicked off the preview event with some info on the game's storyline. A "mysterious evil force" has whisked our hero's friends back in time, stranding them at various points across the Sonic timeline.

Naturally, our favourite hedgehog dons his red sneakers and embarks on a rescue mission across several years of gaming history. Running into your past self could theoretically have dire consequences, but that doesn't seem to be the case here as Sonic teams up with his mid-Nineties counterpart without upsetting the space time continuum.

Players will revisit three stages from the Mega Drive era, three from the Dreamcast era, and three from current generation titles, tackling them from both 2D and 3D perspectives.

Something old, something new

Each of the nine environments have been rebuilt "from the ground up", says Sega. Green Hill Zone, with its azure blue skies, lush foliage and detailed backgrounds, has never looked so good.

We played through its first level with classic Sonic and found little had changed in the gameplay stakes. The level design pays homage to original blueprints, and players will have access to the same repertoire of moves as the 16-bit era hedgehog, with some subtle additions.

For the most part, this felt like a loving recreation of old-school values. After sending the end-of-stage signpost whirling and completing the level, we were required to do it all over again with modern Sonic.

However, this isn't as repetitive as it might sound. You won't be treading the same ground from an alternate camera angle. The 3D levels have been reconstructed with the contemporary version of the character in mind, so there'll be plenty of opportunities for rail-grinding and combo moves throughout.

During a hands-off segment of the demo, we were shown a reworked version of Rooftop Run from Sonic Unleashed. Like Green Hill, it was reworked from scratch in both 2D and 3D, despite being a relatively recent addition to the series.

Confetti rains down from the skies like multi-coloured rain, and Robotnik's airship looms menacingly in the background. After racing across the quaint cityscape, classic Sonic scaled a Big Ben-esque tower and climbed up the clock hands.

A spin attack performed in the centre of the clock face caused it to swing open and collide with Robotnik's airship, enabling the hedgehog to climb on board. The outcome was entirely different when modern Sonic reached this juncture in his version of the stage.

Aided by the power of his boost metre, the contemporary character propelled himself to the highest point on tower and used it as a launch pad."

~Begin the annihilation~

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2011, 22:53 

Well, bumping this because lots of info. CNet preview:

[video=youtube_share;XgKsUzrAFpQ]http://youtu.be/XgKsUzrAFpQ[/video]

~Begin the annihilation~