All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2010, 15:55 

After playing what some people would consider "non-girl games" (as if such a silly damn thing exists) for so many years I have faced numerous cases of ignorance, idiots, and just plain stupidity directed simply because i was a female gamer. So I am dedicating this forum post for anyone to vent or just tell interesting stories of their experiences online.

Guys don't feel left out you can also talk about your experiences playing with gamer girls. All experiences are NOT bad, I've also had plenty of positive experiences online as well. ^_^

Also please tell which game/system you were playing on. I'll post some of my own stories here in a little bit.

-------------------------

Still can\'t help but love you Rock Lee!!

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2010, 19:53 

Medals: 4
Most Serious (3) 2008 Mercury Halloween Contest (1)
My wife(and son now) usually nails my ass to a wall in fighting games(Soul Caliber(DC,PS2), Dead or Alive(DC,PS2), and Street Fighter(Genesis)). She's terrible at shooters(both third and first) but I like to use her PSN ID to play Warhawk and Battlefield 1942 just to here the grief when they think a girl is kicking their ass.

It just goes to show never stick your dick in a pudding. It might still be good pudding and you can spend all afternoon explaining that, but no one\'s going to eat because you stuck your dick in it! - Ben \'yahtzee\' Croshaw

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2010, 20:56 
Veteran

Medals: 2
Best Newcomer (1) Best RPer (1)
Blog: View Blog (4)
My Buddies Girl friend is the only girl gamer i play with sadly, but she can kick everyone's ass at Tf2, except me and her boyfriend... haha

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2010, 21:51 
Veteran

Medals: 8
Most Creative (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) 2008 Mercury Halloween Contest (1) Mercury T-shirt Design Contest (1) Best Photographer (4)
I don't really play competitively, but more for my own amusement. I'm playing through the Warcraft III campaign, as well as Portal, but those have both gone on a hiatus since school started. I like puzzle games, and I'm ok at Call of Duty IV. But only when playing with others; I tried the campaign and the graphics made me queasy (just like Portal). I tend to play FPS games in 5- or 10-minute stints. I also enjoy playing Yoshi's World and Mario games, even though I'm terrible at them.

[align=center]Image[/align]

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2010, 12:02 

Tf2 as in team fortress 2? Thats great ^_^. And Kevin I'm glad that you have encountered a female thats great at a fighting game. thats also (considered) a boy-ish game. KatieKat....Your awesome!! Portal is also awesome and one of the best games i've ever played.

OK! So i guess its time for one of my stories, this one is directed not to my online experience but instead to interactions with disney and EA Games:

I was giving a presentation in Cali at UCLA for Robotics and Computer Science. We were speaking to groups of elementary->highschool students about considering higher education and condemning the silly thoughts of computer science being too difficult to aspire towards. You know the whole follow your dreams and don't be intimidated but what anyone (parents, teachers, or others) say about it. but I digress

After my Team was finished with our presentation a disney and EA hybrid group came up showing some cool new games they were creating and hoping to get some future workers. During this showcase they continually described the type of games as "girl games" or "guy games" and I started to get a little upset. I didn't want to interrupt the showcase but after a while i got fed up and asked the representatives exactly what a "guy's or girls game" was. WELL that didn't turn out to well (for THEM) and I certainly seemed like an ass but RIGHT before they went on stage my team was gave a presentation to this same audience.

Every member on my team announced our geek-i-ness, and in the video game category our basic theme was how we wanted people to understand that gender had nothing to do with the types of game you enjoy playing or the type of field you wish to pursue. I attend an all-female college you see, so we especially wanted to empower the girls there, but also I know plenty of guys who are very feminine and we also want to encourage them as well. Well after stunning the EA game presenters, which paused the entire presentation, and thusly led to an awkward silence, (leading to a bunch of stares) They corrected themselves and announced that no such thing existed. I was still a little upset to be honest because the kids still got the image of UGH SAY THIS BOY GAME!! THAT GIRL GAME ingrained in their heads and there was nothing i could do to stop it :( .......

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2010, 19:28 

Most Whiny (2)
I barely have any girl gamers on my XBL friends list. Maybe five at most. A lot of them are easy to get along with, well, kinda, I mean the kind I play with trash talk, which I do a lot of :P

[align=center][CENTER]http://rarelowtier.darkbb.com/forum.htm[/align]

[/CENTER]
Buy Facebook Fans, Twitter Followers, Google Plus, Youtube Views, Article Submission, Bookmarking, Blog Commenting, Website Traffic, Microniche Website!

http://seobusiness.me

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2010, 16:50 

Well feel free to add me if you can handle my trash talk :P I will be seen online playing any FPS, RPG, fighting, or casual game ^_^ If you see my current low GS its only because microsoft conned me out of my old account and i had to get a new one :( it was really a sad time

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2010, 21:16 

Medals: 14
Best Poster (2) Most Whiny (1) Best Blogger (1) Most Creative (1) Best Traditional Artist (2)
Too Sexy For This Site (3) 2009 Halloween Costume Contest (1) Best Username (1) Spamwhore (2)
Jazzy, your story is amazing. I fucking love you ballsey women!

As a intensely avid female gamer...I would have to say I have QUITE A LOT OF STORIES as a female gamer... I couldn't possibly begin to post them all at once...but when I have more time, I will make sure to revisit this thread! :awesome:

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2010, 10:12 

i still think girl gamers are the hottest thing to happen since jazzy and starwberry TEEHEE

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2012, 04:18 

[QUOTE=Blackinese1207;64136]i still think girl gamers are the hottest thing[/QUOTE]

This ^

Personally, I think finding girls in MMOs is extremely refreshing, especially since most MMOs are huge sausage fests.

[align=center][font=arial]Pueden robaaaaaaarte el corazón,
cagarte a tiros el morón,
pueden lavarte la cabeza por nada.
La escuela nunca me enseñó
que al mundo lo han partido en dos,
mientras los sueños se desangran por nada...

Pero el amoooorrr es maaas fuerte <3[/font]
[/align]

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2012, 05:16 
Dino

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
(Hey, Simba. Nice to see you back. :) )

Right, girls, we'd better all get into MMOs and redress the balance.

Actually, while I'd expect there to be a lot more guys than girls, simply because more guys than girls are gamers, I'm surprised they're THAT rare. Admittedly I myself am not a keen MMO player because I feel a bit awkward about having to team up with people I don't know (but that's largely because I'm self-conscious about my lousy gaming skills and worry about letting other party members down). I did encounter other female players in FFXI, but it is true that a lot of the female characters were played by guys. I wonder if some girls are put off MMOs by the dickish behaviour of some of the male players.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2012, 18:11 

Best Newcomer (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1)
I don't have too many experiences with female gamers online, mostly because I hate playing games with/against strangers, but in the games I have played online I've seen/been killed by a fairly good amount of female gamers, which is encouraging, if nothing else. I have found that I've made a decent amount of female friends who enjoy games to various degrees, however, which is pretty interesting. When I was in school it was all guys talking about games if anyone was at all, and now co-workers tell me they're getting a 3DS so they can play the new Harvest Moon.

Which is in and of itself confusing, because I never thought of Harvest Moon being a console selling game, but to each their own.

I care because you do.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2012, 16:13 

Haha, I've played mostly female characters, unless I play melee classes in Fantasy games or something like that. It's not uncommon to find guys pretending to be girls :V

I'm pretty sure Fantasy games often attract a lot more girls, but I haven't played that many of those myself. I play mostly Sci-Fi games and in 6-7 years I've found around 5-6 girls... not good. I guess it all comes down to the genre/popularity, for example, I know WoW and Lineage II official both have a big female population.

[align=center][font=arial]Pueden robaaaaaaarte el corazón,
cagarte a tiros el morón,
pueden lavarte la cabeza por nada.
La escuela nunca me enseñó
que al mundo lo han partido en dos,
mientras los sueños se desangran por nada...

Pero el amoooorrr es maaas fuerte <3[/font]
[/align]

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2012, 17:55 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Yes, I can imagine that more girls might be attracted to fantasy than sci-fi (I personally love sci-fi, but prefer to read it or watch it rather than play it, for the reason I gave above), especially if the sci-fi revolves around big ships and space battles.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2012, 03:26 

I noticed my ex-wife was more into fantasy games than most other types of games, but fantasy combined with sci-fi (a la Star Ocean) seemed to be her thing too. But she also enjoyed playing Saints Row 2 just to "blow shit up," and seeing as SR2 is a Grand Theft Auto wannabe (albeit one that is better than GTA) it's hardly fantasy themed. She and I would also play various co-op games, ranging from New Super Mario Bros. Wii and LittleBigPlanet to the Lego games and, interestingly enough, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, so in that case it was more a matter of how much fun a game was with another person, I guess. The only games we ever played competitively were racing games, mostly Mario Kart.

I haven't paid that much attention to who is what during the two MMO's I've played (Rusty Hearts, which I've barely played, and DC Universe Online) so I don't know what kind of people I've been playing games with, and I tend not to associate myself with anyone in particular anyway and just do my own thing. I have yet to play any other type of game besides an MMO online, due to the fact that I feel like I'm a n00b at everything and would suck at any game against any other person.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2012, 03:46 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
Actually, girl gamers aren't that rare anymore. The latest stats I saw have the percentage at 42% of all gamers, and women over 18 is one of the fastest growing groups.

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2012, 03:55 

Best Newcomer (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1)
A few members of my Linkshell in Final Fantasy XI (shut up) were female, actually, though most members identified as male or didn't get into discussions about it. Most of the women in the group were the highest level players in the LS, though, which was astonishing to me at the time, though now I'm more astonished they were as cool as they were given some of the assholes they ended up playing with. =/

I care because you do.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2012, 04:40 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
I know my son was also in a linkshell with several high-levelled female players. Most of them were mages, I think.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2012, 10:07 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
I ran into my fair share of harassment on WoW, where people pulled the "there are no girls on the internet" thing, the "show me your boobs" thing, or they wanted to give me a bunch of stuff because I guess they thought I couldn't handle it, even after I'd leveled up quite a bit. I didn't have that problem in DCUO, though, nor have I had that problem so far with Star Trek Online, though granted I haven't had a lot of time to put into STO yet.

On gaming forums I tend to get the guy who will find out I'm female and talk to me and ask me if I have a boyfriend and then when I say yes, stop talking to me. That's fun.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2012, 08:50 

Over a decade (Dunno I was like 12?) ago I once made the mistake of stating an insult to the skills of female gamers in ego shooters...

Never before and never again afterwards was I owned THAT hard...

I did have some very annoying experiences with couples in WoW guilds, though, to be honest it was usually the guy who was acting like an idiot in those instances.

[align=right]Image[/align]

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2012, 17:57 

Best Newcomer (1) Best Graphic Artist (3)
I really, really dislike the term "girl gamers".
There are two kinds of gamers:
First there are "Girl gamers" who are like "yes I'm a girl, yes I play video games. what do u think about THAT guys? xxx ;)" who play CoD really badly and think they're really cool.
Secondly there are "gamers" who play any video games they want to for no reason other than to have fun. The end.

Video games are unisex, even if they're "aimed" at a certain demographic. Anything can be enjoyed by anyone regardless of gender, biological sex, race, sexuality - whatever.
I see this kind of discrimination ALL THE TIME and it's just simply bizarre how people think there has to be some distinction between gamers based on some insane arbitrary criteria like which set of genitals you have, or wish you had.

I understand why this thread is called "Chronicles of a Girl Gamer"; because you have been labelled as such despite your apparent preference for the "girl" part to be dropped in regard to you, but I think "Chronicles of a Gamer Who Happens to be Female" would be more accurate ;)

P.S. Crystal, you SHOULD show us your boobs.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2012, 19:46 
Root Administrator

I don't really see the point of the distinction. It's like saying that girl soccer players don't exist, soccer players who happen to be female do. Which is... kind of silly? Because honestly they're the same thing, you're just using a more cumbersome description.

Of course girl and guy gamers exist. Just like there are young and old gamers, or black gamers, or Hispanic gamers, or Asian gamers, or straight gamers, or bisexual gamers. But just because the descriptions/categories exist doesn't mean there's a hierarchy, and that's the problem: people seem to think there is some sort of magical hierarchy that decides who's worth anything, which isn't true. It's the same thing when people are like, "Oh look at me I have a Sony/Microsoft/whatever console I'm so special." No, you're really not. You just have a different playing experience than someone who is different than you, which is to be expected.

I describe myself as a gamer and not a girl gamer not because I'm ashamed of being a girl or because I hate girl gamers or whatever, but because of the stigma that gets attached to being someone who states that yeah, they happen to be a female. Also I'm just too lazy to type out girl gamer the whole time... what a waste of energy for something that doesn't really add a description to anything.

P.S. Yeah I know, just haven't gotten around to it yet. =P

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2012, 19:55 

Best Newcomer (1) Best Graphic Artist (3)
Basically what I'm saying is that gender and stuff shouldn't affect how people view others - in my eyes EVERYBODY is equal so making a distinction between guy gamers and girl gamers is silly.
Quote:
Of course girl and guy gamers exist. Just like there are young and old gamers, or black gamers, or Hispanic gamers, or Asian gamers, or straight gamers, or bisexual gamers. But just because the descriptions/categories exist doesn't mean there's a hierarchy, and that's the problem: people seem to think there is some sort of magical hierarchy that decides who's worth anything, which isn't true.

Yeah, exactly. And all these people are called "gamers", which is the only term I use to describe people who play a decent amount of video games.
The only distinction between "categories" of gamers I make is dependent on how many games people like - casual gamers are different to avid gamers, for example. That's as far as it goes, for me.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2012, 20:17 
Root Administrator

Yeah, I mean I agree personally, that gender shouldn't matter, but I don't see an issue with people, say, making a community for female gamers. I have no more issue with that than I do if someone were to make a community for religious gamers, or RPG players, or black gamers. I mean it's part of our identity so if someone wants to call themselves a girl gamer or a guy gamer it doesn't bother me... It bothers me when people treat others differently because of it, or when they act like being in particular group makes them special. It doesn't, but that doesn't mean I'm going to laugh at you because you call yourself whatever. I'll laugh at you when you post pictures like this:

(I'm actually relatively certain--or at least really hopeful--that this picture was taken as a joke. But we've all seen enough serious ones to know what I'm talking about.)

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2012, 20:21 

I tend to take the same stance, in that someone who plays a lot of games is an avid/hardcore gamer, and someone who only plays them a bit is a casual gamer. I guess it's mostly because casual gamers tend to play games that someone like me would see as a casual game (like Angry Birds or something) and so I wouldn't be able to associate with them as well as someone who plays, say, Skyrim. Of course there are people who play both, which is great because it makes them more well-rounded. But, for me, it's never a concern whether they're male or female, black or white, or anything else, all that matters is their interest in video games.

I came here hoping to add more to the topic, but it looks like I'm just going to echo everyone else. Oh well. >_>