All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Shadows of History
PostPosted: 22 Dec 2008, 01:39 
Administrator

Medals: 20
Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
RESTRICTED SECURITY CLEARANCE 09 OR HIGHER
The following is a dramatized retelling of certain events occurring on a classified date and time. It has been compiled based on the accounts of those involved.

---

Engineering Bay 64 Log: XXXX
Project: Temporal Crystal
Project Leader: Field Marshal Holt, Zeth Acubierre
Project Assistant: Star Marshal Natlo, Chaz Samoth
Team Personnel Count: 2

Continued work on the prototype today for Project Codename Temporal Crystal. Remind clerical staff to find develop codes names less insulting to officers next time.

Work went well today. The technologies of Marshal Nalto's own patented lattice shielding and my own newly patented Multiphasic TransUniversal Slip Drive (Hopper Drive) are uncannily compatible. Some irregularities in the plotting matrices have developed, but they shouldn't be of any consequence. Today's first round of testing will only span across the
t coordinate, and will be limited to a 60 second jump within Baseline.

I'll be needing to prepare an proposition piece if today's testing does go well, so that we can bring in a full team to work on this. To sum up the project, a simple explanation as to the purpose (allowing multiple large vessels the capability of multiversal travel at once) should suffice.

---
The tall blonde-haired Marshal put down his digipen and leaned back in his chair, stretching his arms and legs. He kept his hands behind his head and laced his fingers, turneing his head to talk to the other tall blonde-haired Marshal in the room, Chaz Natlo.

"Alright, log's out of the way. Want to start a test now? Frankly, I'm tired of waiting. We've been fooling with the directory plotters for days now and gotten nowhere. A test should flush out the problem, if there is one at all."

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2008, 15:07 

Medals: 1
L Award (1)
Personal Log: Date Redacted, If you're reading this without permission, at least try to effect a British accent.

I have been requested to assist Zeth with one of his experiments. Apparently he needed the use of my shielding system. Which, of course meant that I had to re tool it from the broken heaps he left me after the Stahlhelm exercise. He was apparently surprised with how well my tech meshed with his standard Freikorps affair, naturally, he neglected my use of any type of tech I can get my hands on, meaning adaptability is a must. At any rate, I'm getting bored of all the diagnostic tests, and I can feel it grating on Zeth's nerves too. Apparently there are protocals we need to go through before we test these things out. Who knew.

Zeth then turned to Chaz, the writer of the journal.

"I don't see why we can't just go ahead with the testing. Can't be anything wrong with it. Besides, the worst that could happen is just my shielding failing during the test and our ship falls into the cracks between the semi-permiable layers between realities, taking us to a world of non-euclidean horrors which drive us mad, only to send us back as harbringers to the end of all existence. Sure, Lets do it" Chaz said, his voice gradually growing deeper till the end, where it returned to it's usual chipper bass with him smiling.

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2008, 16:55 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Zeth sprang from his chair, giving his companion a good clap on the shoulder.

"Excellent! Besides, I've had worse. I suggest we start with something small before we move on with craft. Since we already started install on the shuttle, we can use that when we are ready for craft." He referred to the small, 5 person shuttle that had been drydocked and half torn apart in the bay. It's hull had been stripped back in places and the twisted entrails of circuitry still hung out of several locations, but it was in much better shape than a week ago when they had began. In another life, it had been a clandestine inclined shuttle used for for smuggling diplomats through hostile territory. Tough, small, but also moderately comfortable to conform to the demands of foreign dignitaries. All in all, this type of craft was only seldom used, and was a favorite of Zeth for tooling with. He'd had drug in and exposed almost to its bare skeleton aside from the main deck, which was one of only two. Now, the not gleaming, but pleasantly clean alloy hull displayed a faded name, and the reborn Renovo Maeror was near ready to fulfill a new mandate.

Walking to the center of the room, he knelt down and gathered some of the tools strewn about near the pillar of fibers and metal, about as tall as he was, that was the smaller stand alone equivalent of what was installed in the shuttle. The pillar itself was topped by an umbrella-esque fixture that mimicked the hull array that would project the lattice on an actual ship. Still kneeling, Zeth dumped the tools around the base of the device, under the umbrella, and then stood.

"Shall we send these, say, maybe, a minute forwards? Or is Chaz Natlo feeling more daring today?"

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2008, 04:32 

L Award (1)
"Least you could have done was run with the joke a little longer..." Chaz muttered under his breath. he then turned back to Zeth. "A few minutes should be fine. I'd rather not be in the future if anything were to happen."You of all people should know the types of ruckus that can go down when you're unavailable for too long."

"Personally I can't believe you got Cataphrak to go along with this." The Star Marshal mused as he made use of his hands. "I thought he liked keeping the path's between timelines strictly controlled. Why make a new, portable, technology for it?"

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2008, 15:04 
Administrator

Zeth smiled mischievously. "You're assuming I asked Cata before starting." He paused, "In any case, if this goes well it'll be more than just you and me working on this project." He stood and fiddled with a panel on the side, fixing a few stray optics ribbons as he went about it. "And I'm sure I don't know what you consider 'portable.' When this is finished it will propelling fleets across the timelines. Caius may want to keep timeline travel to a minimum, but he knows as well as I that we can't rest on the Val'diri's good will forever. Progress is inevitable. If this is a success I can imagine him keeping it under wraps until he has judged the time is right, and by then the technology will hopefully be perfected, if that is possible." He took a step back and leaned outward, looking the contraption over from top to bottom. "And now...shall we retreat a ways? It looks about ready."

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2009, 06:29 

L Award (1)
"Well, I suppose that's one way to get around to your pet projects." Chaz said, moving back over to the umbrella and taking another look. "Sounds good to me." The Star Marshal replied, walking backwards, keeping pace with the field marshal.

"So tell me again why you need me here instead of Sainds? He is my techie after all."

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2009, 13:52 
Administrator

"Because you can keep a secret from more 99.9999% of the organization, that's why." Zeth settled back into his seat behind a terminal, Chaz standing by him. Arrayed before them were any number of toggles and levers and switches and buttons and display screens and little blinking lights. Not that they would need any of these. "Tripoli, I want the small scale prototype in Bay 64 calibrated for a small jump. All spacial coordinates constant, temporal coordinate u constant, temporal coordinate t set forwards by 60 seconds. Confirm when ready."

The sing-song voice of Zeth's unique personal AI assistant responded in less than 2 seconds. "Confirmed."

"Begin now."

One may expect something blindingly fascinating feat of special effects for what our friends were attempting, what, with the whole ripping a gash in the fabric of space, time, and the universe itself, but as efficient things often are in reality, it was not to be. A quick flash around the items under the arch of the umbrella-like piece and a low popping sound followed by a sizzle, and they were gone. A timer appeared from one of the displays, hovering above the console. Zeth tapped his fingers absentmindedly as the seconds ticked past.

Nothing.

Zeth was about to complain when at 65 seconds, the tools reappeared. No flash or sound, but one moment they were'nt there and now they were.

Maybe this wouldn't seem so exciting to a vid-viewer, but trust me, it's a pretty big deal. Zeth slapped his hand on the console and spun his chair around again.

"Ha! Shall we count that as a success for a first trial?"

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2009, 23:10 

L Award (1)
"Not entirely to spectacular a result... as it stands, if we wanted to send something by, say a week, they'd land half a day late. And I don't even want to get into reality hopping. But this is why we test things. At least this time we remembered to take the ships movement into account." The knightly Marshal motioned towards the wrench that had been fused with the wall.

"Any ideas as to what caused the delay?"

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2009, 23:58 
Administrator

"Not a clue, though the time it takes for the item to travel through the rift looks awfully suspicious. If we take into account a larger travel time, which, ha, if you think about it really shouldn't exist should it? Anyways, of we allow a greater number for the folds and assembly, then we could probably fix it easily. In fact, no, I'm sure that's it. Let me just align this..." Zeth leaned over and stretch to reach a touch display to his left, deftly manipulating a series of numbers that the common man would find irritatingly unpatterned.

Another test showed an on time arrival of 60 seconds.

"Ha! Simple. Now what say you to risking it all and sending our little shuttle over there on a one minute trip?" Zeth smiled mischievously. There was no real threat, and if there were, it would only leave people wondering where they went for a week.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2009, 18:23 

L Award (1)
"Sure, why not. It's not like I just outlined all the ways this could go horribly wrong." The Star Marshal said, walking over to the pod. "Or like either of us ever let something as piddling as logic and common sense stop us." He got in and buckled up. "That's odd. I suddenly feel like I should be wearing sunglasses and one of Richard's suits."

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2009, 18:55 
Administrator

Zeth clambered in after Chaz, plopping down in the pilot's seat and turning about, pressing a button that would seal the door.
"You really are just full of it aren't you?" He ran his fingers over the interface and a few of the numerous buttons and switches. It looked complicated, but really it wasn't. While he could pilot this himself, all he was doing was running a diagnostic before letting Tripoli handle the rest. "Fine then. Tripoli, let's do the same trial on the ship's scale. Set the system to execute once you've terminated your connection with the ship. I'll see you in a minute.

"Naturally sir. Do you want me to continue observing the bay while you are away?"

"Yes, please."

"One minute until departure."

Zeth swiveled in his chair and smiled at Chaz. "And if this works then perhaps we can take it for a jaunt around the base, to see if it is still spaceworthy after the modifications we've made."

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2009, 00:13 

L Award (1)
Necro'd with permission.
-------------------------
"You know, for a scientist, you have very little respect for the scientific method... But, I don't suppose we need to worry about what comes next till after we survive this." Chaz stated, mussing with his own controls by the navigation system. A distinct advantage of his position was that while Zeth was technically in command, unless Huntress or Cataphrak showed up, he technically had the final say when it came to small craft.

"So, have any final words? If things go wrong, It'd be good if your little computer buddy could relay how cool we were." He followed up, with only a hint of his usual sarcasm. "I mean, it'd be a shame to go out on 'Oh bug...'..." The Star Marshall almost had ended. Apparently, the adjustments had taken a little more than a minute. Chaz had always been poor with timing.

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2009, 11:27 
Administrator

The see-through cockpit pane flashed brilliantly, as expected, though the sound must have been muted by the hull of the ship, since the entire, instantaneous trip went by entirely silently, the only sound coming from the falling and rolling of parts inside the shuttle when it--completely unexpectedly--finished its trip--and fell.

Zeth regretted not strapping in like Chaz had, grabbing the edges of his seat as the ship tumbled downwards, hitting obstructions Zeth couldn't guess at the identity of. What the hell? This was a 60 second jump forwards in time...! The cockpit was dark, showing no evidence of the lights that should have still been on inside the lab that they should have returned to. As the shuttle came to a stop, the cockpit now pointed down at a mild incline, the lights did not return. Zeth righted himself on his seat, and turned to face the similarly shaken but forever stoic Chaz.

"...ger."

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2009, 12:17 

L Award (1)
Chaz sighed, Zeth having finished his sentence.

"Well, we're not being torn apart by extra dimensional beings, and I think I still possess all my faculties... so my mind hasn't been ravaged by non-ecludian visions. So it seems like we're okay." Despite saying this, calmly as he usually is, certain this betrayed his outward appearance. For starters, there was his repeated flicking of the external lights system. A one minute trip shouldn't have drained the ships power like that. Both Zeth and Chaz had gone over the math themselves.

"Hey Zeth, you can't ask your computer fairy to turn on the lights, can you?"

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2009, 13:14 
Administrator

"She should have already responded...if she was still there." Zeth shook his head and rolled his eyes to clear his head as he tapped a control on the cuff of his uniform. If Tripoli had not already confirmed by voice that she was present, then a voice command would likely be just as unresponsive. The control was merely an auto alert to her system, which would send her attention straight to Zeth, and push other tasks to the background to continue processing.

There was no response.

Leaving his seat and going to the rear of the room, near the door, Zeth again worked his fingers over a pad inset in the wall like a pianist, speaking as he did so. "No, no I can't have the faerie turn the lights on. The faerie seems to not be present. What I don't understand is why the lights are off at all. It's not as if we were draining power from any outside source, and even if the larger scale jump produced some sort of EMP, just about everything in the lab is protected against such by default. Any outage wouldn't've lasted more than a second or so. And that doesn't explain our apparent, er, fall." A result appeared on the pad's small display. "Not enough atmosphere outside to allow for life." Zeth relayed to Chaz. "I guess you've already reached the conclusion I have?"

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2009, 01:06 

L Award (1)
"I'm just throwing this out there on a whim, but, 'Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore.'" Chaz said, trying to lean forward to the glass, his hand cupping the side of his face to prevent the light from Zeth's datapad from causing glare. "So if I'm Dorothy, and you're Toto, who do you think we landed on? More to the point, why didn't we see Cata ridding past on a bike slash broomstick?" Apparently Zeth's datapad wasn't the only thing causing a glare. "Fine, you can be Dorothy."

No luck seeing outside the ship. There was light enough to see the vuagest outlines, but not enough detail for a marking of location. Apparently, they were inside someplace, since Star Marshal Natlo couldn't even see any of his titles namesakes, but wherever it was had died long enough ago that it couldn't sustain life. "Aww crap. We didn't wind up in one of those universes where one of us snaps and kills everybody, did we? Cause I'm betting it'll be one of us, and we'll get lynched by the survivors."

He leaned back. "Well, standard sightlines aren't helping, and the ships dead, so I can't use the exterior monitors..." He looked over at Zeth. "That thing helping any?"

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2009, 08:45 
Administrator

Zeth read the temperature, a chilly 423 Kelvin, before tossing the gadget behind him irritatedly. "Not particularly, no. But," he reached down to retrieve something that had tumbled around during the fall. It was a standard flashlight, nothing special. "This may."

Zeth returned to the forward tilted cockpit and pointed the flashlight out the front, then turned it on, flooding the area before the shuttle with light. At first it struck Zeth to be just so much trash. It wasn't until he recognized the console at which he had been working not minutes ago that the site became disturbingly eerie, though Zeth had already suspected it, and Chaz had said it. Outside, the mangled remains of what was once Engineering Bay 64 were lightly frosted with a dusting of ice crystals, a tool or two laying recognizable amidst steel beams and plating, bundles of fiber, glass, and transparent aluminum. There was no sign of the mini-tower they had used to test the technology that had landed them here, wherever, whenever this might be.

"Well Tinman, I would hazard the guess that we didn't land on anyone. This Luna looks dead."