All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1429 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Infinity's Blades
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2010, 23:42 
Veteran

Medals: 9
Master Debater (1) Lovable Asshole (2) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Brave New Worlds (1) The Comm's Fanart Contest (1)
Most Badass (1) Master Debater (1) Interwebz Anonymous (1)
The young Tierran mentally thanked the saints for the low glow of the oil lamps, which conveniently hid the fact that his face had just turned beet red. Tugging a little at his collar, he took a deep breath, trying to regain his bearings and muster what little charm he seemed to be able to find in himself. His hand shook as he bowed and brought the young lady's hand to his lips. Taking another deep breath before finishing his bow and standing back up, proceeded to mentally fall forward with his next question.

"W-would you c-care to uhm, accompanymeforthisnextdanceplease?"

"Those are brave men," he told Ser Balon in admiration. "Let's go kill them."
-Tyrion Lannister, A Clash of Kings

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2010, 23:50 
Administrator

Medals: 20
Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
Ayala's temporary finger twitched. What kind of noble in any nation came to a dance without a date? "I, uh..." she fumbled for words again, painfully aware of her failing. "I'm sorry, I don't get out as often as I should, you would be Sir...?"

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2010, 23:55 
Veteran

Master Debater (1) Lovable Asshole (2) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Brave New Worlds (1) The Comm's Fanart Contest (1)
The fop scratched the back of his head nervously.

"Well, uhm, actually, I'm one of the Duke of Wulfram's aides, I'm uh-"

Just then, the young noble thought of what he thought was a clearly brilliant idea.

"I won't tell you my name until- until youagreetodancewithme!"

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2010, 00:10 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Ayala blinked slowly as some the music ceased in the background in preparation for a more grand affair from the miniature orchestra assembling against the now not-so-distant wall. "That is--well--" The poor sap must have been telling the truth. Only the Duke of Wulfram could have run someone this ragged. But Ayala soothed herself with a short, deep breath and tried a new tactic, pouring on her instinctual, er, "wiles," placing a finger at the man's neck. "How about this? Neither of us will reveal a single thing more about ourselves, but instead we'll tour the manor. I was just looking around when you found me. But there are some places that I can't go but you can. It works perfectly. And when you've shown me what's left, then we'll be able to dance. Dance twice even."

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2010, 00:12 
Veteran

The young man felt tingles run across his body and down his spine from the spot on his neck this Dame Landetshire had touched him. He almost felt enslaved and found himself nodding wildly without volition.

"O-of course! What would you like to see first?"

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2010, 00:15 
Administrator

Ayala smiled as sweetly as she could, daring to hook arms with the man. "I've already seen the north wing and the upper floors. What's in the East?"

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2010, 00:18 
Veteran

He didn't need to scratch his head for this. Any good aide could have rattled off the rooms automatically as he did.

"Well, there's guest rooms on the top floors, a study, the library, the secondary kitchen and an emergency armoury. That last one's off limits, even to me. I do have full access to the ground floor, that has the staff offices, the quartermaster's office, the mail room, the Great Hall, of course, several conference rooms, Dame Katrina's office, Colonel von Wulfram's office, and of course, the Duke's office."

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2010, 00:26 
Administrator

Ayala almost squealed with delight in spite of her sheer terror at still being visible in the place. She was lucky with this one literally finding her.

...Then again...

Ayala's delight was fleeting as the thought of a trap came storming back to her head. It made sense. He sought her out, he happened to have access to where she needed, he folded with no resistance whatsoever...

"Their offices? I bet not a small part of her Majesty's most noble have through there. They actually permit you in regularly?" Ayala began guiding him in the direction of the corridor. "Have you actually spoken to Dukes Cunaris and Centauri yourself?"

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2010, 00:32 
Veteran

Oh bloody hell! I don't want to lie to her but... No! I can sort it out later!

The young noble took another deep breath before answering. Only his youthful exuberance made the lie anything but obvious.

"Well, I-uh, yes, I have talked to them quite often. I-I'm proud to say th-that Duke Lucas of Centaur thinks of me well, almost as uhm, well, a protege!"

He blinked quickly. He had over-extended himself, and badly, it was now time to hedge his bets.

"But-uh, of course, the Duke of Centaur is not present, being in ill health and, uh, his Grace the Duke of Cunaris and I are not- uh, on the best of terms."

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2010, 00:39 
Administrator

Ayala's smile shrank a few teeth at his eager response. "Pity." She continued, "But, wouldn't you be getting yourself in something of a mess if you take me in there? I wouldn't want either of us begging the Duke of this manor for mercy." They were nearing the bend leading from the Great Hall to the Eastern Wing corridors, other attendees pairing off with their rightful partners in preparation to dance. From the most unmelodious sounds coming from the orchestra, they were about finished preparing. The first song would start any minute now.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2010, 00:43 
Veteran

The young noble could hear it two, and the nervousness let loose a wave a panic across his features.

"O-oh no! I doubt even his grace would fault me if I were only to s-show you his offices. A-all the sensitive material's already locked away I mean."

With that, he stepped forward, gesturing for Ayala to follow.

"I-I'm sure the g-guards won't begrudge me sh-showing you around q-quickly."

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2010, 00:48 
Administrator

"Splendid." Ayala followed his gesture as they approached the guards. "I have to say though, you must try not to stutter so much. If everyone stuttered around a pretty girl like you do then it's amazing we ever go for any of you in the first place." She smiled at her hapless guide hoping the small talk would help set him at ease. She actually did rather like the fellow, even if he was a bit soft in the head, and really hoped nothing would happen to him one way or another.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2010, 00:53 
Veteran

"Good evenin' sir!"

The young noble walked up to the four guards at the hallway. Two of them, obviously women, looked at him and turned away quickly, hands softly held to their mouths to hide what was no doubt, mockery at some particular portion of his appearance that seemed particularly off to them. The two men in that guard rotation shook their heads, almost in unison. The young fop could tell they sympathized.

"Would you mind if I were to take Dame Landetshire on a tour of the offices?"

The man at the head only smiled.

"No sir, go right on through. Go take your round lady 'round for a circuit."

And with a wholly undecorous wink, the dragoon corporal stepped aside, motioning the others to do the same. Breathing a sigh of relief, the young noble continued onwards towards the Duke of Wulfram's office.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2010, 01:12 
Administrator

Ayala smiled winningly at the guards as they were let past, surprised that her hastily given name passed not once, but at least five times now. If there was a Dame Landetshire, Ayala decided she'd pay her a visit to give her something nice at some point. She was also surprised at, well, the guards themselves.

"So they seemed...very pleasant. Do you know them personally too?" Ayala's internal compass was roaring at her at this point. There was no doubt that the book was at the center, end of this hallway. But having gone this far...The roofmages above were on both of them already, and the wind nymph had to concentrate very hard, turning her head to the side as if looking at doors as she closed her eyes, to keep them seeing only what she wanted them to see: a cursory glance of a normal noble woman's brain. Luckily, if they did try to probe any deeper, the way the faux-mind was constructed it would just make her seem like a very stupid individual anyways. Once they were through she turned her attention forwards again to the hall and her guide.

The trip out? That was an entirely other matter. She didn't even know what she was going to do once she reached the office. Whether her guide was trained in mental arts or not, she knew she could easily overpower his will if she needed to--and she knew she would, because he would neither have a key for the "already locked valuables" nor simply allow her to open it magically herself. But what then? Perhaps if she seized up his senses suddenly enough she could just force him to sleep and then wake him when she was ready to exit, but surely h would notice the change, and that she was carrying something. And seizing up his senses like that would run a high risk of being detected by the roofmages. A necessary gamble perhaps? Her luck couldn't possibly hold that long. And even if she could recover the book without being caught directly in the act...Then what? Thanks for showing me the office, I'm suddenly ready to depart the party, good-bye. Sorry we couldn't dance. Not likely.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2010, 01:37 
Veteran

By the time they reached the office, the young man's knuckles were white once again from gripping onto the cane which he had brought only for show. Reaching for the door handle, he sighed in relief as it turned and swung open. Enough light poured through the two windows flanking the Queen's portrait to provide a good view of the office itself. He walked in and stepped to the side.

"W-well, here we are."

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2010, 19:14 
Administrator

Ayala entered the room with another smile before she took another step towards the desk and a wave of nausea overcame her. She caught herself in a stumble before taking another step back to recover. Deadzone. Deadzone meant puresteel. Her luck had finally run dry. Catching the look in the eye of her guide, she tried another smile, a weaker one though. "Sorry, dizzy spell, you understand how it is having to walk in these," she indicated the shoes, "all the time." She looked behind the desk to see if she could spy any of the more evident examples of puresteel, but didn't see anything incredibly obvious. Odds are it was built into sundry objects about the room, and if so, it meant she would have to be careful with anything she touched--the room was one complete acidic dungeon.

But what was confusing her was why she hadn't already detected these deadzones before contact. Even now that she was concentrating her attention directly on them she could only just make out a distorted, fuzzy concept of where they were--mostly the desk itself and a few items on a nearby shelf and wall. The only thing she could think of was that the radiant signature of the book masked the deadzones. If she were absolutely desperate that may have been a good thing, as she could possibly use the overwhelming magical abilities of a book made from parts of the tree itself to simply open the desk from the inside out. But that could possibly result in ruining the book itself, which rather defeated the purpose, and was anything but subtle.

Ayala took a staggered breath and blinked several times to regain her composure while speaking. "So where do you stand while waiting on the Duke?" She hesitantly moved around the side of the desk before plunging herself into the outer edges of the deadzones, ignoring the repulsive feeling, and sitting in the Duke's chair. "I'll pretend to be the Duke."

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2010, 19:17 
Veteran

"Rubbish!"

Caius looked up from the table and from where he had just sat down a moment before after detailing his plan in full. Cunaris had voiced his objection barely after he had finished. The others did not bat an eye, most of them were thinking the same thing. The Duke of Wulfram pretended to be surprised.

"Excuse me, your grace?"

Cunaris stood up, resting his palms down upon the tabletop, allowing his imposing frame to loom over all others at the table. He glared down at his former protege at the head of the table, and at the detailed plans which rested in a pile upon the table, carefully avoiding eye contact with the Queen. He knew not what her opinion was, and Caius knew that neither of them could afford giving offense, not at this crucial point of the decision making process.

"You would gamble the entire Northern Fleet and the Royal Army's most powerful formation on a foolhardy offensive against a great power which, might I remind you is still neutral? Have you gone mad!?"

Caius sat back, intentionally displaying nonchalance at Cunaris' angry questioning.

"Hardly, your grace. Everything that I have just detailed is perfectly feasible, and I assure you, if my suspicions are correct, then we should not only be able to bring Takara the punishment which they have so justly earned over all these years, but also perhaps bring the Empire to bear as an ally against Antar-"

Caius cut himself off as he saw Queen Isobel's hand, raised politely, but firmly in interruption.

"Forgive me your grace, but no matter how tantalizing the end reward of your maneuvers may be, you have given us nothing but plans, projections and the insinuated existence of evidence based on the word of one spy to back up your, frankly, ridiculous claims. That one of the oldest and most powerful empires in the world has an indefensible weak point of immense importance, that we might be capable of striking at that point and that we may be able to hold it to our advantage. We, for one, would like to see this evidence of yours."

Caius tried to grasp for words as he looked around. The others at the table were nodding in agreement. He had shown Don Rista to none of them, and he had not planned on it, not yet. The soft beat of footsteps faded into the silence, growing louder, until its source appeared, in the uniform of a Tierran dragoon, winded from a quick sprint, at the entrance of the clearing, almost two excited to bow at the collection of exalted figures sitting around the great table. Caius' expression hardened as he stood up.

"Very well, follow me."

------

The young man walked to one of the desks.

"W-well, normally, I just sit here and g-go through reports."

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2010, 19:24 
Administrator

"Oh, so you never actually interact with anything..." Ayala almost felt winded from sitting in the chair at the head desk, still acutely aware of the open door and guards outside. She didn't like being here; time to speed things up and leave. "...here." She stood and looked at a side drawer with a large lock. there was an identical one on the other side of the desk, but her compass told her what she wanted was inside this one at the bottom.

"Who could ever have a use for so many drawers in one desk? What does he keep in them all?"

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2010, 19:35 
Veteran

I have you now.

Ayala's only response was the steely shriek of metal against metal as the top of the nobleman's cane separated itself from the rest of the shaft, revealing a thin, sharp fencing blade, glittering red and silver in the senset. A dead-magic aura, which had been masked by the magecrystal-studded shaft just moments before, clamped down on the room with such force and suddenness that even the two mages on the roof had been temporarily struck dumb.

*wvip*

With a harsh whistle of metal parting air, he brought the puresteel blade of his formerly concealed weapon to the nymph infiltrator's neck, ensuring that even she could see the distinctive glimmer of the silver blade and the ring of dull grey wulframite affixed around its hilt, allowing her to know just how throughly she had been outfoxed. The young nobleman smiled as he spoke. All traces of nervousness were gone, replaced by the suave, calm tenor of a professional intriguer. In this particular case, the voice of Emil Harris-Eduria, Duke of Warburton.

"Why? Were you looking for something?"

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2010, 19:42 
Administrator

Ayala gasped as the sudden wave of excruciating pain overwhelmed her. Even if she had the time to reach out to the crystal in the hilt and force it's signature through the Wulframite, there was too much puresteel in the immediate area for her now dramatically diminished capacity to work through. She staggered up from the chair, choking, in her haste forgetting the entire breathing thing completely.

"S-s-stop!...please..."

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2010, 18:56 
Veteran

Warburton stepped forward slowly, with the grace of the master fencer that he could easily imitate (even if if he was, in reality, utterly incompetent with a blade), never letting the slight, predatory grin leave his face. He had trapped this strange and beautiful interloper, lured her into a situation which not even she could escape and sprung his trap with a the skill of the master which he was. Without changing his expression, he lapsed into the voice which he had used to lull Ayala into her false sense of security, making sure that the two mages on the roof were still shielding his mind from any possible desperate retaliation.

"W-well, y-you try to g-get me t-to take you into the d-duke's office and ruffle around in h-his desk, w-where he keeps all of his c-clasif-fied files. Y-you tried to use your n-natural attributes t-to ma-manipulate me, t-that's just like what a b-beautiful w-woman would do."

The royal spymaster took another step forward, carefully measuring his step to stay out of the entrapped Nymph's grasp. There was no telling what she could try to do if she were within arm's grasp, and she certainly wasn't going to let her enters the small "safezone" projected by his magecrystal cane-scabbard. He continued, in the silk-wrapped steel of his normal voice.

"You are, of course, like all other seductresses, thinking that your figure and face genuinely turns the men around you into blithering idiots. Am I the only spymaster in the entire world to have trained the stupidity out of his wom-"

"We would thank you very much not to generalize so hastily, brother."

The Duke of Warburton didn't even have to turn around to recognize the newcomer and for that matter, those who were with them.

"Ah, Izzy, Johann, Marcus, Colonel von Wulfram and of course, my good friend Caius, without whom none of this would have been possible."

Warburton heard the slow clap of spurred boots on the stone floor and the steel rasp of another sword being unsheathed. In a moment, Caius' sword was also pointed at the nymph infiltrator. The Duke of Wulfram turned to face the others.

"Here is your evidence, in the flesh."

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2010, 19:50 
Administrator

Ayala was at this point on her knees, unable to cope, let alone bother to pay attention to what must have been the guards barging into the room, as she collapsed to the floor in a pitiful display. Desperately dragging her way towards a window, the human husk she wore growing gaunt, drawn, and inhumanely pale as she failed to sustain it. Eventually it grumbled away into so much dust as she gave up and curled and twitched, now nude and in her more or less natural form, her hair a sickly bone-coloured white. She couldn't even see through the ashy grey-white smoke that replaced the normal air that surrounded her in base form, and was only barely aware of the added weight she had while unable to completely connect with the elements around her.

She didn't think, she didn't talk, she simply lay in her foetal position and twitched, humiliated, in pain, and above all terrified. And now, the Tree would die as well. Perfect.

Supreme defeat was the only thing Ayala felt as she saw the Duke of Warburton's eyes looking down at her with an interested eyebrow raised. "Define 'in the flesh.'"

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2010, 20:19 
Veteran

"Put that thing away Emil. I'd rather not send her back to Viceroy Cassius in a box."

Warburton looked up, his cane sword not moving a centimeter.

"The second the aura goes down, she'll escape."

Caius shook his head as he sheathed his sword, circling slowly to block off Ayala's route to the window. His scabbard was not cyrstal-cloaked, and worked to deaden magic regardless of its state.

"She will try to escape. In which case, you may feel free to kill her."

Before Caius could go on, the sound of a certain regal and female someone clearing her throat brought his attention back to the others in the room.

"We would like to know very much who, or what "she" is, Wulfram."

The General wasted no time in offering an explanation, waiting only for Warburton to put away his sword.

"This, your majesty, is a Nymph, a creature of legend, the very manifestation of magic made flesh and blood."

Cunaris stepped forward as Marcus, finding himself in the rare occasion the lowest ranked person in the room, had taken a flint and steel from the mantle and started a blaze in the large fireplace, filling the room with a warm orange light. The Duke of Cunaris suddenly gasped, leaping back as Warburton's sword once again returned to its sheath.

"Indeed, can you feel that?"

In the entire room, only Marcus and Warburton nodded.

"It's almost as if she's... glowing with magic."

Satisfied that everyone had ascertained to their satisfaction, that the being in front of them was, indeed, a Nymph, Caius walked up to Ayala.

"I'm sure everyone here has questions for you, answer them truthfully, and we will allow you to go. Lie, or try to escape, and we will send you back to Viceroy Holt in the same way we have sent back all of his other spies, in pieces. Understood?"

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2010, 20:23 
Administrator

Ayala's eyes rolled back in her head as the spymaster's sword returned to its sheath and the deadzone quickly shrank to its former locations about the room. She convulsed slightly as she forced words out. Escaping. As if they had to worry about her doing that so quickly.

"Please...just...anything..." she moaned. "Something alive, please..."

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2010, 20:32 
Veteran

Caius opened the window with his hand, slowly and steadily, without keeping his eyes off their prisoner. Reaching his hand out, he grabbed a few stems from the bushes outside, carefully avoiding the thorns. Taking about half a dozen red and white studded stems in his hand, he tossed them over Ayala's head. Warburton's hand shot out and caught them.

"Caius? I appreciate the gesture, but now is not the time."

Wulfram's eyebrow quirked as he indulged in a moment of rare humour.

"You're the one who lured her into a dark room to take liberties upon her person, the least you could do is give her flowers."

Emil stepped forward, sliding the makeshift bouquet to Ayala's feet.

"Funny Caius, very funny. Now back to the issue at hand. Why are you here?"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1429 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58  Next