All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: It's High Time
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2008, 09:58 
Administrator

Medals: 20
Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
I'm afraid I'm going to have to take issue with those facts Cata.

1.) Believe me, I know auras, Caius is NOT indigo. It's apparent from just what you've RP'd thus far, so no amount of "wait and see" changes the fact. If I had to peg Caius, I'd just say "blue, and not go into the subtype, because Caius incorporates elements of both Cerulean and Indigo.

2.) Magic isn't drawn from a central pool, and you can't sap magic abilities away from people. I quote what is written:
Quote:
It is different from normal magical energy, which is generally drawn through the body from the world around.

Think of it like "the Force" in Star Wars. It flows amidst everything and anything, and is a part of all everything. PLF is seperate from this type of energy in a way, as it is your own self, and not a generalized base.

3.) Life Force is continually regenerated, albiet slowly. So while you can run out because you use it too quickly and it does not have time to recoop, you can't use up all the life force in the world by some huge magical feat. And it is not only created when life is created. Life continues constantly, it grows and matures. In the same way PLF maintains a stable amount in an organism. If it is drained, it will heal itself like a human body heals a wound. If it is hale and hearty, it stops regenerating. This is similar to the "central pool" fact. You can't use up a "finite amount" because you can only draw on your own.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2008, 12:32 

Medals: 1
Commer of the Year (1)
However, Life Force and Pure Life Force are two different things. Yes, that sounds redundant, but they are different.

Life Force is what mages manipulate. It is, as Zeth said, the "Force" of this world. And there is a finite amount of it.

Pure Life Force, on the other hand, is what we've been describing. It's pure and powerful, and cannot be manipulated by anyone other than the person it belongs to unless the person has given permission and has no misgivings whatsoever as to someone else fiddling with the literal core of their existence. Needless to say, it doesn't happen often.

Zeth and Cata know more about Life Force than I do. I just know about Pure Life Force. Since I have nothing else to think about at night.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2008, 12:37 

L Award (1)
... I'm thinking a call should have been made before the post... Especially due to Cataphrak's open dislike of magic.

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2008, 17:48 
Veteran

Funniest (1)
I would have put Cassius as a pink, personally.

Living in the limelight, the universal dream for those who wish to seem.
Those who wish to be must put aside the alienation,
Get on with the fascination,
The real relation,
The underlying theme.

The World From Here

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2008, 11:40 
Veteran

Medals: 9
Master Debater (1) Lovable Asshole (2) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Brave New Worlds (1) The Comm's Fanart Contest (1)
Most Badass (1) Master Debater (1) Interwebz Anonymous (1)
Zeth wrote:
3.) Life Force is continually regenerated, albiet slowly. So while you can run out because you use it too quickly and it does not have time to recoop, you can't use up all the life force in the world by some huge magical feat. And it is not only created when life is created. Life continues constantly, it grows and matures. In the same way PLF maintains a stable amount in an organism. If it is drained, it will heal itself like a human body heals a wound. If it is hale and hearty, it stops regenerating. This is similar to the "central pool" fact. You can't use up a "finite amount" because you can only draw on your own.
I'm afraid I'm going to have to do a plot override here.

The story kind of demands that magic, especially instictive magic have a limitation, and this is it. It also explains, as I have already said, why humans are becoming less and less capable of doing magic, and more importantly, the whole dynamics of the mage-aristocracy.

PS: You're right, Caius is probably a Cerulean...

"Those are brave men," he told Ser Balon in admiration. "Let's go kill them."
-Tyrion Lannister, A Clash of Kings

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2008, 12:11 

L Award (1)
I think I see the problem.

Zeth is treating the world as a post Tolkienese standard fantasy affair.

Cataphrak is treating it as a pre-real world affair, what with the magic dying and all. ((Ironically, Lord of the rings fits this))

Ie. Zeth's is a romp, Cata's is an Epic. ((Both are good, but it comes of a little difficult with both of them dictating the world.))

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2008, 13:17 

Commer of the Year (1)
Cata, did you not read my post? Life Force and Pure Life Force are different. Life Force in general is what's running out. Pure Life Force regenerates.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2008, 14:47 
Veteran

Master Debater (1) Lovable Asshole (2) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Brave New Worlds (1) The Comm's Fanart Contest (1)
I can live with that, however, they are in a symbyotic relationship, if one dies out, the other will eventually drain. Think of LF as a bowl, and the PLF as water.

Also, I designed this RP to be a relatively low-magic epic. Remember, this IS an analogue of Baseline, although Baseline also has magic, it is very, very low key, and almost completely overshadowed by tech. Since Baseline is also developing very quickly technologically, this world has to do the same, and it doesn't make sense if magic is widespread and powerful, because then there's no point to tech advancement.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2008, 22:41 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
I disagree.
Technology combined with magic is just as good a catalyst for supertech development. Better even. Humans want to top elves, who are far more compotent magic users, so they bulk up their tech advancement. Elves want to stay a step ahead, and we end up with the classic arms race. Is it radically different from Baseline? Yes, but just as entertaining.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2008, 18:36 

Commer of the Year (1)
True. This is a different world, with magic to boot. How the world progresses isn't going to be anywhere near the same.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2008, 09:38 
Administrator

It should be noted that not all this info (especially that regarding “Flipsideâ€

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2008, 18:25 
Administrator

Nephalae Leuce wrote:
As they headed towards the Redoubt, Nephie gestured back at where they'd been attacked.

"So who did you tick off this time?"

Liek, half of Terra!
:P

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2008, 18:31 

Commer of the Year (1)
No rly?

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2008, 18:36 
Administrator

YAI RLY!

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2008, 18:38 

Commer of the Year (1)
LIK OMG!

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2008, 22:56 
Administrator

So I was reading a bit in Mage's new RP thread, and when I saw the reference to steampunk, it made me think realize something. Considering the technological revolution Caius of Xen wouldn't mind ushering in (Revolver anyone?), and Cassius von Holt's post-Legion ventures, we have the opportunity to develop an extremely steampunk setting in the not-so-distant Cappa 2 future.

I can't go into too much detail about Cassius' end of this, as it would ruin parts of the confirmed story, as well as bits that I would like to have confirmed in the near future, but just imagine: That classical arms race that was mentioned earlier in this thread, combined with the Cultural Analogue of Tudor England for the Terran subcontinent (so it's no Victorian, CLOSE ENOUGH), AND a race bent on the furtherance of magical aristocracy (for now at least...what? a hint? madness I say.). How can anything short of steampunk develop?

I realize Cata probably has some fo' srs things to say about it, and again, I'm held by spoilers (though I can just make an entire tagged post if need be), so I'd like to leave this open fordiscussion before getting into details.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2009, 23:16 
Veteran

Been a long time since I posted one of these...

Canon Post: The Tierran New Model Army

[NOTE: I've switched up some of the names for countries (ex, Tierra (obvious) and Kian'Zi (Vykkia) to be more distinguishable from Baseline. These changes come into effect retroactively at the end of Infinity's Blades]

OVERVIEW:
The New Model Army is currently (145th Edurian Dynastic Year) the largest of the major divisions of the Tierran Royal Army. It was founded, and commanded by Leftenant-General Sir Caius Leonis, 5th Duke of Wulfram. The New Model Army is the best equipped and trained formation in the Northern Kingdoms divided into Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery. The NMA is completely self-sufficient, with it's own supply corps and attached fleet, making it perfect for action as a first response or expeditionary force.

HISTORY:
Formed at the end of the Tierran Civil War, the New Model Army was an experiment in a new type of fighting force. Previously, the Royal Army had only consisted of two regiments; the Edurian House Guards and the Seaforth Pikes, the remainder of the Unified Kingdom's armed forces consisted of private armies loyal to the great houses of Tierra. When the civil war broke out, the impracticality of this arrangement proved evident as a large part of the Tierran armed forces turned against the throne on orders from their respective noble officers. The Royal Army itself proved ineffective in quashing the rebellion, with the House Guards forced to guard House Eduria's ancestral holdings and the Seaforth Pikes relegated to a support role to Sir Caius Leonis' Mobius Legion who, along with the Royal Navy, and the loyalist forces of Duke Cunaris and Duke Warburton decided the course of the conflict.

The New Model Army was formed with standardized training and equipment, commanded by officers who held personal loyalties to a commanding officer with proven and unquestionable loyalty to the throne. This system of professional armies paid for by the throne and placed under a centralized command has also been supplemented by a large round of organizational and material reforms.

ORDER OF BATTLE
In order of seniority:
Commanding Officer (Nominal)
Her Majesty Isabella Matilda Eduria, Queen of the Unified Kingdom (Isobel I of Tierra)

Commanding Officer (Actual)
Leftenant General Sir Caius Leonis, Duke of Wulfram (Caius of Xen)

CAVALRY
Commander of Horse
Brigadier General Sir Charles Nathaniel Locke

1st Regiment of Dragoons
"The Wild Cards"
Colonel Davis Elson, Baron of Hawthorne

1st Cuirassier Regiment

1st Hussar Regiment
"The Lightning Regiment"

INFANTRY
Commander of Infantry
Brigadier General Dame Adelina Garret

1st Grenadier Guard Regiment

2nd House Guard Regiment
"The Centauri Highlanders"

4th Regiment of Foot

5th Regiment of Foot

1st Regiment of Chasseurs
"The Jaegermeisters"

8th Regiment of Foot

Royal Engineer Regiment
Colonel Edmund Garing

ARTLLERY
Commander of Ordinance
Colonel Alaric von Wulfram

24 Batteries of 6 guns each attached to various regiments.

NORTHERN FLEET
Fleet Admiral and Quartermaster
Rear Admiral Allister Winslow

Flying Squadron (1st Battlesquadron)
HMS Insidious (Flagship) (68)
HMS Invictus (52)
HMS Thunderous (54)
HMS Diligent (68)

2nd Battlesquadron
HMS Implacable (84)
HMS Calamitous (84)
HMS Intolerant (74)
HMS Imperious (74)

Screen
HMS Terrible (42)
HMS Furious (32)
HMS Errant (32)
HMS Elusive (32)
HMS Illustrious (28)
HMS Glorious (28)
HMS Tempestuous (28)
HMS Contemptous (28)

14 Sloops and light ships of 24 guns or less

54 transports and supply vessels.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2009, 23:21 
Veteran

Medals: 2
Best Newcomer (1) Best RPer (1)
Blog: View Blog (4)
*scoots out of the way*

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2009, 00:49 
Veteran

Wrong thread, sorry.

This is the thread for Tales of the Infinite Sea, a Freikorps supported RP set in an alternate, low fantasy universe. Freikorps Baseline is an ultratech firm/hard military sci-fi universe. Look around on the other threads, you'll see what you mean. And you don't have to go overboard with the detail.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5