All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Wraith's Safe-house
PostPosted: 10 May 2013, 11:24 

Medals: 4
Best Artist (2) Absentee (2)
A room hidden within a dimensional fold in the Realm's maintenance crew quarters, this 'little hole' set up by Wraith when he left the Realm before it's fall from greatness is surprisingly large, being about the same size as a small storage warehouse.

The Safe-house is split into four divisions between two floors, three sections suspended from the ceiling above and one taking up the floor below, though the upper sections could be more likened to glorified catwalks than actual rooms due to the lack of all but a few walls and the hard metal walkways between them. The stairway down into the effective complex leads into a central area on the upper floor about thirty feet across with a sofa against one railing, a large refrigeration unit and replicator set up against the adjacent railing, and something of a makeshift kitchen against the other. A walkway to the left of this leads to a platform with two sets of bunk beds, all very spartan in design, with a couple of lock-boxes beneath the lower bunk in each. The railings around the beds had been raised to reach up enough to make them safer to sleep in despite the perilous drop in most directions around them. A small desk sits between the two bunks, though it is mostly clear. On the other side the walkway leads to a walled-off section which functions as a bathroom.

Beneath all of these platforms is a massive storeroom, with various ladders and stairwells leading down from above, containing a vast and equally diverse collection of equipment, weapons, supplies and artefacts of various origins, and it is quite likely that Wraith has a purpose in mind for each and every one of them.

Post subject: Re: Wraith's Safe-house
PostPosted: 10 May 2013, 11:53 

[From the Corridors]

Wraith walked down the stairway, running his hand with familiarity down the railing until he stepped onto the central platform.

"Ah, it is good to be back." He said, grinning beneath his facemask, raising his arms above his head as though stretching to fill this space that was his once again. He stopped at the far railing and leaned on it heavily, the metal bar groaning slightly under his weight and its age. "And it's good to see everything still in order." He added, just as happily. Then he turned to address M as the Nebari followed. "Can I get you a drink?" He asked casually.

PostPosted: 10 May 2013, 21:57 
Administrator

Medals: 20
Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
"If you're willing, I would accept happily," M replied. He looked around the complex with an impressed glitter in his eye after having noted the entry sequence. Storage cupboard indeed. "Though to be honest, it may be best to not drink on an empty stomach."

PostPosted: 14 May 2013, 13:21 

"Ah, yes, food." Wraith looked up as though remembering this to be a thing that mattered. "I believe that a fair meal would probably be in order as well then. Have you used one of these replicators before?" he asked, turning and moving towards the machine next to the refrigerator.

PostPosted: 14 May 2013, 21:58 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
M inspected the replicator with a respectful eye, as if it were something delicate he oughtn't touch. "I haven't, though I can guess what it is, I think. I've seen them now and again as I moved around. Always very expensive. Usually being fought over." He dared to remove a hand from behind his back and touch the frame gently. "Given enough energy you could feed an entire community with only one of these. Very impressive. Of course, I imagine you could always produce enough arms or poison to slaughter an entire community. One use; considerably less energy, I suppose." He hummed to himself, indicating the nature of the replicators' expense and fight-worthiness in less privileged parts of space. Namely most of it.

PostPosted: 17 May 2013, 16:57 

"Just as the technology that allows something to be larger on the inside than outside could be weaponised to have far smaller warheads carry far larger payloads, and a natural poison might be distilled to be put to use for medicinal purposes, or simply be condensed into a more effective poison." Wraith stepped over to the machine slowly and, making ample space for M, reached from beside it to tap a few buttons in order on the interface, having it bring up a menu of foodstuffs, then pulled his arm back to allow M to browse. "All a matter of perspective and intent, though culture make a fair effort to be included in that statement as well. I believe that these replicators were based heavily on those used extensively in Keris's universe, where the drive to explore overtook the urge to make war for more than a few inter-planetary civilisations."

He took a few steps into the middle of the platform as he talked, musing on this with interest.

"But then that would be quite the sweeping generalisation to make, to say that war had been put on a back-burner in favour of peace. Exploration of that level would not have been possible without a high level of weaponised technology backing it, or else how would the exploratory party survive when faced with a less peaceful force?"

Wraith stopped here, realising that he had been distracted.

"I suppose it is not the time, just yet, for musing on the use of technology here. Suffice to say that the Realm will provide for those she has accepted as crew, so long as we keep her safe and well-fed. Which is in some part one of the reasons I have brought you here; I do believe that she may be in need of fuel at some point?"

He phrased it as a question, though he knew very well what state the Realm was in. What he was most curious about was how, exactly, the Dromes had planned to do anything with this ship without any viable fuel source.

PostPosted: 28 May 2013, 20:02 
Administrator

M perused the menu for a couple minutes as he spoke, tapping through the menus looking for perhaps something more reminiscent of home. It was a mildly pointless endeavour, he had concluded, but he still had that little spark of "maybe this time they'll have baked furnel chips" each time he encountered some new menu. They never did. Based on the technology from Keris's universe indeed. Nothing around these parts of space ever seemed to have any sort of familiarity with his universe. Not even Shaina or Syn or Richard had seemed to give any flicker of recognition. And they seemed to know a little bit about everything.

"I suppose, though I'm not exactly an expert, and I haven't seen any instrumentation recently." He settled on something simple: a plate with a thick slice of bread, a small wedge of cheese that was proclaimed to be mozzarella, and a hunk of beef. "Something that's been nibbling at me for a while now," he took a bite from the wedge of cheese, "I mean, it is natural to grow attached to a vessel, and ascribe a personality to it, but everybody with any level of familiarity with this one speak of it as if it is a very much living organism. But...well, it isn't any manner of biomechanoid ship that I can tell. Again, I'm no expert. It just...confuses me, a little bit." He took a bite of the bread and chewed and swallowed as Wraith looked over the menu himself, before continuing.

"You're going to tell me this is just a ship that has a lot of metras on it and it picked things up as it went and nobody knows exactly how it works, I think. Am I wrong?"

PostPosted: 29 May 2013, 09:02 

"Well, I suppose it wouldn't really be worth much more than simple conjecture to point out that a thing doesn't necessarily need to be a biomechanoid to be alive, but it is quite an odd thing to consider, I'll agree. The Realm was certainly never intended to be a 'liveship' of any description," Wraith spoke whilst making his own selection from the machine, a rather large bowl of ramen, which he took with him as he sat down. "But with that in mind, it is really hard to explain just how so many people, drfiters, wanderers and outcasts all, manage to assemble here. Usually without aid. People just turn up here, as if placed by some greater power." He broke apart the chopsticks he had had the machine make for him, and fished out a big chunk of pork, pulling the mask down from his mouth with his other hand to eat it before quickly replacing it in a well-practised motion.

"If I'm correct in guessing that by 'metras' you mean a measure of distance travelled, then yes. You'll come across the term 'miles' being used here more frequently to describe the same thing. I'm fairly sure that someone, or some group of people, could have told you exactly how the Realm works and why, exactly, that is. But not now, especially not after that mess with the lizards, too many add-ons.." He took another short break to eat a few mouthfuls, again moving his mask out of the way before replacing it after each bite- an impressive thing to witness considering that he was eating noodles. "I hope that your Time Lady mechanic is up to scratch, you're likely to need her at full pace to keep this place running-"

Wraith was interrupted by a short buzz, followed by a message played through one of the old comms machines.

"Wraith, M, this is Shaina. I'm headed in your direction but don't know exactly where you are; an open door would be appreciated."

"Well now, and to speak of the devil." He shook his head, trying to figure out how she had known where they were. "I'm going to need to take a very close look at those PADs your lot are using, normally the Realm will throw false life-sign readings about when pressed for locations, but they seem to be quite new." He stood up and took his meal with him, then stopped, a scant foot from the chair. He turned again to M. "In your honest opinion, would you count Shaina as trustworthy?" he seemed to be utterly serious in this, as though M's answer would make a large difference to his next action.

PostPosted: 30 May 2013, 11:36 
Administrator

M chewed thoughtfully and swallowed slowly.

"I...am not entirely certain still yet. I am inclined to say yes, so long as her crazy button isn't pressed. To be honest, if I had to guess based on what little experience I've had with her I'd say that may be the worst she has to offer what we saw a while ago. Down on the planet she seemed the most normal person of us all, I'd have to say. I mean I think it's fair to say I'm jaded enough that I don't react like a normal person. And Richard...I'll pass comment on that one for now. But Shaina...she still gets surprised and bewildered it looks like. And yet, she still handles any situation I've seen thrown at her with aplomb. Even when she's out of her head she's ruthlessly efficient. And she did save the ship. She could have just run. Or put all our lives at greater risk by trying to take down whatever it was that set her off back there.

"All things considered, I think Shaina is the sort who will keep strict tabs on you until you've given her a good reason to be a good friend. And then I think she would die for you. I remember back in the Establishment, those were always the hardest ones to break. At least with those who were just damn tough brutes you could apply force till they were next to dead and the body simply couldn't support the mind. Not Shaina's kind." He took another bite. "Her kind always has an inexhaustible supply of aces in the hole because they cheat. So I would extend to trust to her, because that's how you're going to get trust from her. She is an...invaluable asset." His eyes widened and he mouthed an "oh" and reached for his belt. "Also, I had forgotten I have her gadget. At least now we know why she's headed our way."

PostPosted: 31 May 2013, 13:36 

Wraith took a moment to think about this, then nodded.

"Alright, I'll let her in here as well then. I suppose she would find a way to make use of some of the things I have here, at least. But I would greatly appreciate keeping the location of my safe-house a secret from the others. Even Syn doesn't know this is here. Not sure about Richard, but if he does, he's made no mention of it before." He spoke as he walked, heading back up the walkway to the door above, where he unlocked it and held it open, waiting for Shaina to catch up. With the door open it really wouldn't take long for her to find them.

"She probably wants that back rather badly, I'd imagine." he added, remembering from his limited time spent with Time-people in the past just how attached they can get to their particular gadgets.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2013, 19:20 
Administrator

[Shaina from the Corridors]

"I imagine she does," M concurred, leaning out of the door beside Wraith and then taking another bite of his food, chewing and swallowing at a mechanically consistent pace. "If I understand correctly she slept with it on the planet."

"That sounds about right," Wraith said as he nodded. The two leaned out of the door for a couple minutes, eating and waiting. They exchanged glances a couple times as they would look down one end of the corridor and then the other, expecting a Time Lady to be marching around the bend. M scratched his head with the screwdriver as Wraith cleared his throat.

"Maybe I should comm her...?"
"That sounds like a good id--oh, no, there she is," Wraith gestured down the corridor at the huffing woman. "I was starting to think you were lost."

Shaina rolled her eyes at Wraith as M handed her the spanner, slapping it gently into her outstretched hand. " Thanks. I don't get lost." She checked a few settings on the spanner. "I don't get lost. Nice little cubby hole you've got there, by the way."

"It is. Remind me to ask how you found it sometime."

"Oh don't worry, secret's safe with me. Me and the Realm have an understanding." Shaina patted the metal wall beside the door, "She may be one mind numbingly amazing ship, but she's still only real. Besides, it's lucky for you, really. If you've got something instaleld in your body, it's best the doctor knows where it is. And I'm the...well I'm the attending physician. I mean you're on a poorly maintained social healthcare system, don't get me wrong, but it's better than nothing."

M smiled serenely--it was the only way he did, and at this point was starting to come across as mildly creepy to Shaina, "I am glad to see you feeling better, Shaina."

Shaina nodded, sighing slowly. "Thanks. And thanks for keeping this safe. But let me hold onto it next time." M nodded, and Shaina's brow furrowed. "If you two are here, I'm here and Richard's probably not doing anything of consequence, has anybody set a destination for the ship?"

M's brow raised slightly; he was genuinely surprised after the amount of foresight and micromanaging that Shaina had displayed up until this point. "We aren't in some sort of safe zone you designated?"

Shaina shook her head. "I just pointed as somewhere that I saw didn't have a star in it and was far away."

M stepped bodily out of the door and into the corridor. "Well...I suppose we'll just have to see what we can do, then."

Shaina shook her head again. "You do it. I have something I need to take care of," she held up her spanner and TARDIS!chain and shook them.

"Oh. All right. Syn or Richard or Caulder may be familiar with the bridge systems. That is," he looked at Wraith, "assuming you have other business to attend to?"

Wraith nodded as Shaina eased herself away and started walking quietly away from the two. "I'm sure one of them can help you."

M returned the nod. "Thank you for the meal and the introduction. We'll have to finish them later." He turned to se Shaina halfway down the corridor already, and decided to let her be.

[Shaina to the Corridors, M directly to the Bridge]

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2013, 15:43 

"Another time then." Wraith gestured with open hands. "I'll be in here if anybody needs me. Knock twice." He seemed to be smiling under his mask. And with that he closed the door behind them, sealing himself inside to get on with his work.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2014, 16:56 

[From elsewhere]

Wraith stepped out of the shadow cast by an overhanging next to the comms station in his Safehouse. A light he been placed just above the jutting metal bracket, specifically to cast a deep, dark shadow even in decent lighting, and it served its purpose admirably as an easy port-of-call for Wraith's travelling about the ship. He walked to the main platform, flicking a couple of seemingly random switches and lever as he moved to unseal the external door in preparation for his visitor. The door itself gave a little hush as it unsealed, then swung slowly ajar. It wouldn't look out of place on the dishevelled corridor where Wraith made his home, but just in case, he wouldn't leave it open for long. Not with a full detail of Lethain Corp. soldiers milling about.

The old ninja pulled a large stack of paper sheets from under his clock, bound with string between two sheets of thicker card, and placed it on his desk, along with a package the size of his arm, but taller, and a couple of small crystals. He promptly made a few hand-signs over the collection, and they faded out of sight as though the air around them were water that had been disturbed. When the 'ripples' calmed, the pile was gone, and an assortment of kunai blades, bound paper scolls, and disassembled explosives appears in its place. Nodding to himself in satisfaction, Wraith moved away from the desk to get himself a drink, then seated himself to await M.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2014, 20:03 
Administrator

[From Captain's Quarters]

M arrived a few minutes later, locating the door with ease, thankfully. He glided in his soft-stepped but efficiently manner of walking into the room with a soldier's practised eye for threat detection. Not that he distrusted Wraith but...well no, he did sort of distrust Wraith to a certain extent, if he were to be honest with himself. To be more accurate, he distrusted Wraith only as far as he trusted Wraith. He didn't have any foundation one way or the other with the ninja yet.

Walking across the catwalks he spotted the man sitting casually but preparedly in the central platform area. It was the sort of prepared that most anybody accustomed to having a controlling majority of a given situation had. M made his way over to the sofa with a friendly smile and a nod. Luckily it was long enough they could sit at opposite ends and still lean to the side enough to face each other.

"Thank you, for your notification. I was pleased to hear from you."

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2014, 21:45 

As M entered the room, the door slowly swung closed behind him, though it didn't seal shut this time.

"Welcome back." Wraith nodded to the man as he entered. "Don't mind the door, it's just to keep the sheep out." he half-joked, sitting upright in his chair to better address the newly appointed Captain of the Realm, a title Wraith found rather bemusing. "Always a pleasure to remind my friends that I'm still around." He said in response, "I do hope that I haven't inconvenienced you and yours in any way, I do suppose that fair warning would have been appreciated... can I get you a drink?" He asked, motioning over his shoulder to the refrigeration unit behind him.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2014, 22:18 
Administrator

"Thank you, I'm fine for now. And no, you haven't inconvenienced me at all. In fact, you've rather...convenienced me, if that makes sense. i had to get your attention somehow, and I figured that might do the trick."

M, crossed one leg over the other and knitted his fingers across a knee. "I'll get straight to the point. If you want or need to tell me about what you procured from the office, I would be very happy to hear about it--particularly if it relates to what I'm about to ask--but I arranged this meeting for a..." the Nebari rolled his eyes up and bobbed his head, looking for the right turn of phrase, "imminent matter. I realise that you--possibly more than anybody on this ship at the moment--are a very independent operator. Common knowledge. And I realise that to a number of people here--perhaps to the ship itself--I'm not much more than a casual interloper, and my 'captaincy'," M raised his hands to emphasise the word with airquotes, "is little more than a formality to make Commander Shepherd, and to an extent Richard's, life easier.

"But, formality or not, it's my job now, and I'm going to do it. It means I'm responsible for the safe operation and maintenance of the vessel and the well-being of the people aboard. Where that affects this meeting is simple: I want to know why you're here."

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2014, 22:29 

If Wraith hesitated for even an instant, it didn't show. He leant forward and rested his elbows on his knees, steepling his fingers as he replied. He appreciated M's directness, and allowed a slight smile to show as he spoke.

"I'm here on behalf of my benefactor, a long-time supporter of those aboard this ship, in order to keep a number of personal interests safe from external, and possibly malign forces." He said, softly, his voice not betraying for even a moment that this was practically a recital. It wasn't the whole truth, but it certainly was a fair basis for it, and gave enough, he felt, for M to question further should he feel the need to. "You should know though, as far as 'casual interlopers' go aboard the Realm, you're not half-bad for a Captain, formality or no. The majority of the current crew is as new to the ship as you are, and those who have been here before are, shall we say, more than content to take a back seat." He took a moment to reach up and adjust the strap on his eyepatch. "You'll do well, I feel, and the crew will respond to that in whatever way they will."

Satisfied with his adjustments, he turned his entire attention back to the man before him. "As will I."

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2014, 22:34 
Administrator

M found Wraith's casual demeanour and lack of hostility gratifying, but a life amongst the Establishment told him when we was being brushed off and was going to have to dig for his answers. Problem with that...well, he didn't know what questions to ask. Still, M was no quitter. A shovel--or a drill--had only one point to its blade, and he only really needed one question to get things rolling.

He looked around Wraith's hold and then pointedly back at the closed door he'd entered through. "Care to ensure our privacy?"

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2014, 22:36 

The door hissed shut almost the moment M had finished.

"Certainly." Wraith replied, almost purposefully belatedly. He let his curiosity show as he sat back a little in his chair.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2014, 22:50 
Administrator

"Excellent." M cleared his throat. "You left all of this," he motioned around him with a hand at the safe house and all of its 'stuff', "aboard for years only to come back to it when you had a reason to stay around again. You did not appear when the ship was in peril, instead arriving at the same time as Caulder and Timothy shortly after Raine arrived and we had several crew members vanish mysteriously. Clearly you are not interested in protecting the ship. But you did stay aboard the ship when most of its passengers were in mortal peril on the last planet we visited, so there was something that was here--and pointedly not there--between your arrival and that point that you docare about. You took things from the Captain's Office of 'personal interest', but if it were something about you, you wouldn't have left it there in the first place, or else wouldn't still be here. Again, it's not about the ship. You seemingly teleport. You know where everything is and who is doing what at any given time. The premise for this meeting alone is enough to demonstrate that you may be discreet, but you are the one who controls situations. you cut straight to what you want, or else spin a scenario of your design around your target. You are, simply put, aggressive. But you aren't aggressive now. You're observing. Passive. Waiting.

"So: you're protecting a person. It's not Caulder because he arrived with you, and he clearly follows you. If he was following you and you were protecting him, then you wouldn't have come here. The only other people that arrived inside that time frame AND remained aboard the ship during the attack were Raine and Timothy. And, well, I think we both know you aren't protecting Timothy.

"So you're remaining aboard to protect Raine. My question is Why?" M stopped here for a few moments to allow Wraith to process his rambling deductions--which he felt were mostly right. There were a few leaps in there, but M was confident that even with some inaccurate details, his sights were still close to centred on the target, and that Wraith was sensible and intelligent enough to understand that that was good enough when it came to his own modus operandi. M leaned forward, trying to impress trust on Wraith. "I'm not threatening you. I meant what I said. I need to know if Raine is going to attract danger to this ship. And to understand that, I need to know why you're protecting her. By the same token, Raine is, for lack of a better way of putting it, a member of this ship's crew. And that means her safety is also my concern."

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2014, 23:11 

Wraith let his thinking show this time, sitting back further and stifling his grin.

"You're good. Yes, you'll do very well indeed at the helm." He took another moment, then responded, "I think I'll clean up some things first though, you at least deserve to know that I am not omnipresent, though I appreciate the sentiment. My arrival with Caulder was... delayed. Warp travel is unreliable at best, and we arrived somewhat later than planned. Had we arrived in time, we would have been aboard the ship before you docked your Ehni, but instead we landed shortly after the crew was separated, as you said. We decided that it was in our best interests to try and disrupt the enemy, rather than remove them, until the crew was back in one place." Here he cupped his chin in his hand, going over the situation again in his mind. "We were unprepared for that as well, unfortunately, and I believe that our only real success in that regard was in worsening the situation for Syn, Raine, and Timothy. I rushed things, and I apologise for putting your crew in danger, it will not happen again."

"As for visiting the planet, well, I was again, delayed. My own capacity for travel does not, sadly, cover interplanetary jumping quite so well as Caulders, and at the time it was necessary to keep him out of the spotlight, so I had to make my own way. There is a slight flaw in your logic though, where Raine is concerned. Her first, and subsequent run-ins with that monster, Dasah. She nearly died more than once, and I left her quite alone alongside Syn and Timothy during my brief attempt to render assistance planetside. How does that factor in to your reasoning?" He posed, entirely non-threatening, as his single amber eye scrutinised, and awaited his response.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2014, 23:18 
Administrator

M shrugged. "You're a shadow operator. If you made it too obvious, then it wouldn't take someone like me to unravel your plans. That, combined with a little bit of your admission to being neither omnipresent nor omnipotent. Add omniscient to that. From what I observed, Raine clearly believed she could take Dasah, and..." M reached again, "if one were to assume that neither you nor Caulder have informed Raine that you're acting on her behalf, then clearly you have a measure of trust in her and her own assessment of her abilities. Besides, it's not as if you weren't trying to end the situation yourself. You're only one person, even when it seems otherwise." He paused before continuing with a half-joking demeanour, "Sometimes I think Caulder might be two people, but that's neither here nor there. And wouldn't actually benefit the situation anyway."

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2014, 23:31 

As if to prove him wrong, a second duplicate of Wraith stepped from around a corner further back in the room, walking to the refrigeration unit, took out a drink, and walked off again. The first Wraith paid the second one absolutely no attention.

"There are quite a few people aboard the Realm who have been many other people before, I think that you could attest to this too, to some degree, M." Wraith put a peculiar emphasis on M's... letter. The way a person might incline that they knew more about a thing than they were letting on, but done so tactlessly that it was clear he was merely playing. "Caulder's a special case, though he is linked to this, after a fashion." He sat forward again, this time reaching for his drink, taking a sip, then nursing it between his hands. "You're not wrong at least, I'll give you that much. Well, not entirely. In terms of 'private and personal interests', this ship is a very large interest of my benefactor, as it the entirety of the currently active, and most of the inactive crew. There are things aboard the ship that fall into this category as well, such as the data recovered from the Captain's quarters. But Raine is a...special interest. As is Caulder, and..." he paused a moment, to consider letting this go, "Jayge."

Then he fell into silence, again observing M's reaction. He supposed that this was a fairly big risk to be taking so late into the game as they were, but with Caulder already involving Raine more heavily than had ever been planned, and Syn having dropped the ball long before that, his supposing could take the bench for now.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2014, 00:02 
Administrator

M eyed the duplicate with measured interest. It was a cool trick, and it was good to see what state Wraith's mind was in. As for the conversation: two steps forward, one step back. The Nebari leaned back on the sofa, returning the air of familiarity.

"Jayge...he's come up in conversation a few times at this point. I have to confess I don't know much about him." M's face wrinkled in an unfamiliar expression of dismay that his face didn't seem to know what to do with. "This benefactor. They apparently want you using a light hand here. Caulder doesn't seem to have any problems interacting directly with the situation but you're more removed. You prevent other things from interfering with her best you can but have you even interacted with her at all beyond the Dasah encounter? Granted that may just be how you work with your targets, but it doesn't feel quite right for your allies." He paused, thinking. "But if you wee delayed from your original arrival time, then you weren't just trying to follow the situation, you were trying to stay ahead of it, which means that if you could, you would guide events toward or away from a particular outcome." M wanted to restrain himself from actually making a direct guess at who he thought the benefactor may be in relation to Raine--and apparently Jayge and maybe Caulder--and forcing the conversation to a direct result. Wraith was proving very good at avoidance. By the same token, M was in little position to force the conversation. He'd have to keep playing.

"I'm not going to extend this inquiry further than I have to," he stated simply, dismissing that particular tangent. "I'm unclear of the details--I'd just arrived at the time--but if memory serves the ship was being attacked by a smaller group of aggressors than the Dromes and Dasah prior to your arrival, which would have been your intended time of arrival if I understand correctly. Jayge was already gone by the time I arrived, and if you're interested in his well-being and...'direction' as much as Raine's, then my supposition would be that you were attempting to arrive before that group affected something pretty bad to him. Such as abducting him.

"I can't account for Raine arriving at the same general location as Jayge in that timeframe, unless you had a hand in that." M paused again. "Are Jayge and Raine siblings?"

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2014, 00:13 

"Something of the sort." Wraith chuckled. He was enjoying this conversation. "You could get away with calling them that, but they're not strictly related in any familial way. No, they're far more similar than that. Jayge's abduction was, I will admit, one of the primary reason we came here. That is, to prevent such a thing from happening. Truly, it was our greatest failure not to predict that it could happen at all. We had merely feared that he could have been killed, but this has been far worse an outcome." He diverged fluently, bringing attention back to Jayge and wondering if M would bite. "I do like to keep my allies on their toes." he added, though lightly.