All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Cassius's Cabin
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2013, 23:35 
Administrator

Medals: 20
Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)

Cassius's Cabin, upon his taking up residence in it, is rather Spartan. It is an unremarkable cookie-cutter sort of quarters, and not too large. Too small to be compared with a flat, but too large to be compared to an efficiency. It definitely can't be considered an efficiency for reasons relating to much of the space simply being empty. The basic layout is a square. The square has been divided into three sections: a bed and common area, a bath, and a small storage space that's good for more or less anything but probably intended for clothes, personal effects and probably a few weapons, equipment or nicknacks.

From a bird's eye, schematic perspective, the bath room occupies a smaller square in the top right corner. The bed and common area mostly wrap around it in an L-shape, with the exit/entry leading out in the centre of the bottom wall. To the bottom left of the L shape is a metal, glass and plastic desk that more or less defines basic, and blends with the walls. A bed, luxuriously queen-sized, is above this, with the entrance to the bath room to the right. Above the bed area and entrance to the bath is the third and smallest section, which is the storage space. From the exterior it looks like a very geometric armoire sort of deal, but with more than a glance, you can see this is just a front and is actually part of the wall that happens to be protruding a bit. Opening the doors allows you to access the storage area that goes back about arm's length to the top wall. It has two shelves in it: one set low and one set high; under the high shelf is a bar where clothes could, in theory, hang. To the far right, there are a series of drawers from top to bottom. The top most seems to have a secure biometric lock and is out of reach of the average person.

The topsheet of the bed is blue, which, unfortunately, is the only real colour in the room and does nothing to liven the atmosphere. The white undersheets and pillows do nothing to help. The lights are set in the ceiling are of the same cool, possibly living but maybe not soft white glow variety found all over the ship. In the corner of the bath room wall facing out, to the right of the door into the bathroom is a panel of controls for the room, a ship's comm, and a replicator inset in the wall.

Post subject: Re: Cassius's Cabin
PostPosted: 21 Apr 2013, 00:04 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
[From The Corridors]

Cassius entered and the door slid quietly closed behind him. He looked dully around. One hand was resting--no longer thrumming upon--the hilt of his sword. The other hung limply at his side. As he looked around the singularly depressing and potentially claustrophobic room, he felt the grip on his sword hilt tighten, and his posture straighten. It was as if his body was reacting to the the thought that if he and what he had on his person right this moment were all that was left--or ever had been, if he understood correctly--of his entire world, it had better make a positive impression. Or at least an impressive, er, impression. But his soul didn't seem to be in agreement, and his grip loosened just as quickly. It had been a squeeze really. His back and shoulders stayed rigid, in defiance.

He stood there for maybe two or three full minutes, not really moving or thinking or feeling. Head simply staring at the blank, smooth, grey wall. After that he looked around again. There was nothing else to do. He walked over to the desk. There was a chair positioned at it. There were drawers. He nudged the chair with his foot. He did it again. It should have been an angry kick. So he lightly bumped the heavy, square foot of the desk with the tip of his boot. A part of him felt like screaming and raging. But that would be pointless. Besides, years of simply not doing that so as to provoke others to do so had very nearly distilled even that small part of him from his mind.

He wandered over to panel inset in the wall and the replicator and stared at it. He didn't know what any of it did, so he moved on. There was a door on his right--probably just the facilities. Why bother.

There was the bed. He reached out to feel the blue cover. It was magnificently soft and smooth, like cashmere, although there was no obvious stitching or weaving to indicate it was anything other than one solid sheet of...whatever it was. And it was too thick to be cashmere anyway. Any other time he would have been impressed in spite of himself. At this time he was merely in spite of himself.

He removed his belt holding his sword and gun holster slowly and laid them on the bed, then sat beside them, also slowly, as if performing a quiet, private ritual. The gun was missing. Maybe it was in that ship. He should find out. It was a good gun. The best. He had finally given up packing Diana for favour of it.

It was tomb quiet. A requiem of silence.

There was an armoire before him. It was probably empty. Why bother. Then again, he'd eventually have to use the facilities, and, well, storage space always found a way to be filled. He didn't have anything better to do. He stood and opened the armoire doors.

"Hello."

Cassius stumbled backwards at the surprise, falling onto the bed. "Richard?!"

"Now, really. I know that you know that is the singularly most stupid reaction one could have. Close your mouth now. Good. I shall begin as simply as is possible: do you have anyone to trust?"

Cassius paused, eyes wide, but then slowly shook his head.

"Do you have anything to lose?"

Cassius shook his head again.

"But you have everything to gain. So listen very...very carefully..."

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2013, 19:27 

Medals: 1
L Award (1)
[Richard and Shaina from Corridors]

The duo walked into the room, facing Cassius, sitting at a desk with several reading tools and books in front of him, one being in his hand.

Richard looked around the room. "Hey Blondie, looking up decorating tips?"

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2013, 19:55 
Administrator

"Hardly," Cassius responded, closing the book--for it was a book. Not everything on the desk before him was. Judging from the assortment of tablets, cylinders, books and even the odd three holocrons, he had found the library in the interim and had liked it. Though Shaina was surprised. she would have expected him to hone in on the books and maybe only grab one or two of the other devices to toy with, if any. It's not as if was familiar with them. But presently Cassius stood in a show of respect that confused her and even made her a little paranoid. He seemed to be much calmer and quieter too. Perhaps he had simply needed some time to cool off?

He nodded in place of a bow and knitted his fingers behind his back, though his expression was cool. "Is there manner in which you wish my assistance?"

Shaina moved into the room like a mouse enters a cellar known for its litter box, looking around the very empty room before looking curiously at Cassius. "I came for my sonic spanner...?" It came out a question. she hadn't exactly meant it to be.

Cassius's brow furrowed. "Apologies: sonic spanner?"

"The...the tool thing I use a lot..." she held up her hands to indicate size and then made a few motions like she would if she were holding it in her hand. Cassius's expression didn't change, though he looked thoughtful. It struck Shaina that he probably hadn't ever actually seen her use it on the surface. She hadn't, much.

"The device with the unexpected amount of heft to its self and the automations at the end that was among your effects? By and large of a silvery complexion with some blue hues and gold bedeckings?"

"Um. Sure. That sounds about right."

Cassius nodded and his expression changed to one of satisfaction. "I do recall this device. I'm afraid I have not seen it since I left the...jailhouse. I suppose I had assumed you would have gathered your effects upon affecting exit from the premises."

Shaina breathed in sharply as she realised stupidly that she'd done exactly that. Hell, she'd had it and used it coming up from the planet. Everything in that span of time was a bit blurry, but was easy enough to remember. She hadn't been thinking. "Scheisse, of course you wouldn't have it," she looked flatly to her side where Richard sat in her periphery.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2013, 20:21 

L Award (1)
Richard lifted his hands in an apologetic manner. "What. We used the back door and I was a little preoccupied blowing up Lizard people. It's not exactly my job keeping track of your things. So since we've written out you having her small metal object. How about mine. The one with the blade of energy. Since I'm a foot tall, I figured I'd go fight some Sith while jumping around like i've got springs in my shoes. You seemed to have taken a liking to it. I suppose that is also in the rubble of the building."

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2013, 20:36 
Administrator

Cassius twigged at the mention of the lightsabre, and presently went around to his bed, where lay his belt with the sword and gun. Tied onto the sword's sheath was the lightsabre. Cassius undid the knot and presented the device to Richard. Or tried to. He looked a bit unsure of giving the man something to hold onto that was most of his height.

"I'll hold onto it until he decides where he wants it," Shaina said, taking the lightsabre from Cassius.

"It's a pity; I'd hopes of testing its usage myself."

"I wouldn't be too disappointed," Shaina said as she clipped the lightsabre onto her belt. "You'd be surprised how often they just...turn up. Frelling Jedi and Sith temples may as well be factories for them." She looked at Cassius again, who returned a steady gaze to match hers until she almost winced. "You seem very...calm."

He nodded. "I suppose this is an accurate statement, all things being relative as they are. It's really rather well you've come by, I should think. I must...apologise," he averted his eyes as he got to the actual apology; clearly something he was not accustomed to doing. "For earlier. You were clearly in a vulnerable state and it was more than simply uncouth of me to lash out at all of you as I so presumptuously did. I..." he sighed, and reached inside is currently undone vest for an inner pocket. He pulled out a tiny little seed and held it up between index finger and thumb for Richard and Shaina to see. "Do you know what this is?"

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2013, 20:57 

L Award (1)
"Hmm, True, a shorter Lightsaber Yoda had, hmm. And... It's uh... a seed of some sort I think." Richard said. "I'm not too big on horticulture. I can prune trees like the best of them, but I'm not much of a green thumb. I'm not too sure if a space ship is the best place to grow a plant anyways."

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2013, 21:25 
Administrator

"Perhaps not. Regardless: it is the seed of a Takaran Blue Rose. It is, I expect, entirely..." his brain caught the direction his sentence was going a few words too late. No going back now, "unique now. As happenstance would have it, I had this on my person so as to surprise London at a more opportune moment." He brought up his other hand and pulled the seed apart like he was opening an extendible pointer wand. A plant came out. It was a small plant, that naturally would not have been mature enough to actually produce a bloom. But there one was nonetheless. A bulbous, open blue bloom, stem and all the way down to fresh looking tangle of roots. It was about a foot and a half long not including the roots, and while it definitely looked like a rose, it also seemed just a little bit off. The petals were shaped a bit oddly, and the stem was thornless and didn't seem to have the same woody quality that roses typically did. The leaves didn't look glossy enough either.

Cassius offered the plant to Shaina. "Under more customary circumstances I would trim this to am ore acceptable form, but, well, it seems more appropriate that one leave the plant intact now. I'm afraid it is not much in ways of an apology, but regardless, you should have it."

Shaina took a step back, uncomfortable at the offer and somewhat stung at the "unique now" comment. "No-oo, that's okay, you keep it."

"No, but I insist--"

"I don't have such a green thumb; if you really want there to be more you should keep it. I'm sure there's a conservatory somewhere on this ship."

Cassius seemed a little unsettled, but accepted Shaina's rejection, moving toward the replicator. "Well it is true I know how to give it the best care..." He put the rose on the bed and looked at the replicator. "Pot. Ter-ra-cott-a. Five gal-lon vol-ume. Light loam," he enunciated each syllable very clearly and loudly, though unnecessarily. The replicator provided what he needed and he hefted the thing to the floor.

Shaina blinked a few times as Cassius picked up the plant from the bed and carefully scooped out a place for it with his hands. There were a few things wrong with the picture in her eyes. One, as Richard had pointed out, it was weird to have a plant like that on a spaceship. Well, refining that thought: it was weird to have it in a cabin like this one in a space ship. Two, Cassius, though clearly unfamiliar with the replicator, must be a remarkably fast learner. And three, well...the elf had risen from the med bay without anything but a few creases in his clothes after fighting his way through dromes and getting knocked around an exploding and crashing ship--it was weird seeing him willingly plunging his hands into dirt. Wouldn't that get under his nails, or something?

"You...figured that out awfully fast," she commented as Cassius patted the soil down gently around the base of the plant.

"I suppose. It is not a particularly unintuitive device." He walked into the bathroom and washed off his hands, picking at the nails. Shaina trailed after him a ways.

"What made you think to try it?"

Cassius looked absently into the mirror as he shook his hands dry. "It was there." Satisfied with the state of his hands, he swept one through his hair to settle a few errant individuals, then looked back to Shaina and Richard. "I have also seen to it that I have a steady access to information about my locale. I do not wish to be more ignorant than I could possibly not be."

Shaina nodded slowly and made for the door. "Right. Well, I...think I'm going to keep looking for my spanner. Thanks. I think."

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2013, 22:33 

L Award (1)
"Well, This was nice. Unfortunately we still lack a Spanner." Richard said. "I'm guessing you haven't read up on Star ship repair and reformatting engines to utilize alternate fuel types. So, I guess farewell, and thanks for all the fish."

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2013, 22:39 
Administrator

Shaina nodded absently and made for the door.

"Actually," Cassius said, shifting the pot over to an empty part of this room (i.e. the majority of it), "Richard, if you perchance currently find yourself possessed of some time what Shaina could spare you..." his face looked as if it wasn't sure how to arrange itself, "I was hoping perhaps you would indulge some personal curiosities?"

Shaina awkwardly tried looking at Richard on her shoulder again. "I'm just going to try and find M, since Tim and Syn didn't have the sonic and I recall now he was the only other one around. Mm. I think, anyway. If you wanted to catch up with me later."

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2013, 23:22 

L Award (1)
"Yeah, I guess. What's up?" Richard said, hopping off Shaina's Shoulder to the floor. "You don't want to finish off where we started in Jail? Did we finish? Basically, you telling me I'm an alien Illusion, And I tell you I'm a badass Construct with the spirit of an Ancient Warrior Pirate?"

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2013, 23:26 
Administrator

Shaina nodded and left for parts probably known.
[Shaina to the Corridors]

Cassius nodded gratefully. "Well, it is clearly in evidence that you aren't merely an illusion. Though after a fashion one could still make the case." He stepped toward Richard and dropped to a crouch to look Richard nearer in the eye. He rolled his jaw, looking for a way to verbally approach the matter, a curious squint to his eyes. He motioned with a finger up and down Richard's height. "How?"

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2013, 23:45 

L Award (1)
"How Me? Hrmm, My medical degree is a hair out of date but it is a bit ahead of nineteenth century medicine, but basically the reason we age is that the average wear and tear is too much for the miniature building block of the body to replicate themselves. My fashion of magic creates things from magical energy, and bolsters my physical abilities. Apparently the later decided to deal with the former subconsciously." Richard replied, walking about as though he were an educator.

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2013, 23:53 
Administrator

"But...but how?" Cassius asked incredulously. "You have a mind. The mind dictates the actions. Subconscious or not, how can the mind replace itself with a substitution without rendering you dead? Further, how is it such as it is in the first place? You are, in a literal sense, magic incarnate. How does one go about making a force substance?"

PostPosted: 01 May 2013, 01:14 

L Award (1)
Richard Shrugged. "I learned the basics of magic, but I was pretty terrible at using my power to manipulate matter, so I cut to the chase and used my power directly, forming it into things. Small things at first, but yeah, eventually weapons. And the other part is obvious, my magic is fueled by excess calories, so I can use that energy to fuel my motions and strength. Though since I'm now entirely made of my magic I can use more energy for that purpose than would be entirely safe for a flesh and blood body to use at once. Torn Muscles, Broken bones, that sort of thing. As for the Brain." Richard shrugged again. "I am not a brain surgeon. if I had to guess, my mind is stored in my entirety now. On the plus side, I don't forget much. Or maybe I am Dead and I'm just a ghost controlling an energy construct."

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 04 May 2013, 21:28 
Administrator

Cassius struggled with the fact that this really didn't answer any of his curiosities, but concluded that, from his tone, Richard may simply didn't know, which twisted Cassius's own mind around even more. Something like replacing your body and mind with magical constructs wasn't something you simply...did without realising. Right? In any case, he dismissed the latter, sarcastic suggestion out of hand. Elves believed in souls, but not ghosts. There was a subtle, though significant difference. When you died, you died. Unless you didn't. But nobody had ever managed that.

Cassius ran a hand quickly through his already slicked back hair, trying to push the lack of information conveyance from the forefront of his mind. "I...do not understand this." He held his hands apart in a static gesture, like he was trying to express some complex though but could find neither the words nor the actions. "In my experience, the menagerie that is one's course is filled with a mere two beasts when it comes to such a lack: those that anger and those that explore. I have always been of the latter persuasion, and so...I..." he moved the hands around slightly, "must know," he said, giving up on the hands. "Richard, when you are perhaps, ah, more yourself, if you'll pardon the expression, would you take into consideration an effort in how to replicate this feat? In any small capacity? I have no qualms about pursuing such things on my own should you feel that it is not something you are adequately equipped to perform, but I should think I need somewhere to begin. Some tool to work with."

He stopped abruptly and looked at Richard with an uncharacteristically imploring glint to his eyes.

PostPosted: 06 May 2013, 00:54 

L Award (1)
"Erm... I'm not entirely sure I could replicate the feat. Shy of becoming mortal again and going through the process, again, which would take decades to pull off and since I'm now aware of it, entirely possible not to work in any repeated attempts. People have tried, and the result is usually not pretty. Unless you just want a lesson in my style, but since you're a classically trained magician, it should logically come easier to you, shouldn't it? Unless this is one of those things you stumble into unthinking. Like a troll den or someone else's surprise party. They never get my age right..." Richard commented. "But anyways, I suppose that the whole point is moot. I've got to eat a lot. I mean, the ship could feed me what I needed, but I'd rather it go to people who need it. We might be drifting for some time, and in this form I don't actually need to eat, bar increasing my strength. It pointedly won't decrease at any appreciable rate. Meanwhile, Some of the crew need a tonne of food ASAP. Mostly Raine. Almost entirely Raine. But the rest of you need your nutrition as well."

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 06 May 2013, 16:02 
Administrator

"Any instruction in any...style would be most welcome, I assure. But, if you need to attend to others at this junction I shall not detain you any further. I appreciate your attention and consideration, Richard."

PostPosted: 21 May 2013, 22:57 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Newcomer (1) Most Serious (1) The Merger Contest (1)
[From the Corridors]

A Knocking came rather suddenly at the Door, and its Originator was likely awaiting an Answer.

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 26 May 2013, 20:20 

L Award (1)
Richard turned to the freshly knocked door, then back to Cassius. "It's not my door."

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 28 May 2013, 20:22 
Administrator

Cassius hesitated, his chin and nose raised in a suspicious gesture learned almost exclusively by the arrogantly moneyed. "Of course..." He sorted himself and stood, smoothing the creases in his outfit and clearing his throat. "Yes, enter, at your pleasure, please."

PostPosted: 28 May 2013, 21:49 
Veteran

Timothy stepped through the Door a little warily, but with no visible Amount of Hesitation; he was carrying the Pot holding the Crimson Aster in the Palm of his left Hand and had the other behind his Back. He made a brief Bow and said 'I hope I find you well, Mr... Cassius, was it?' and here he proffered the Flower and went on 'I've brought you this — I imagine you find this Ship a Touch dreary, and I happened to be carrying Seeds for some Chrysophytes(1) in my Pocket; it struck me you might like to have one.' He thought the Plant matched Cassius rather well, but that it would have been better had the Leaves been red and the Flowers yellow, but there was really nothing to be done for that; and then he saw the Blue Rose upon the Table and then made a Gesture towards it with his free Hand and asked 'What is that? A Kind of Japan-Rose(2)?'

(1) Chrysophyte: Pron. ['kɹɪz.əˌfæit], approximately CRIZ-o-FIGHT; A Plant with yellow Leaves, originally a novelty Item in Timothy's World, they are very common wild in Places (though not where he bought the Seeds). His Accent makes the Word sound rather like ['kɾɪz.əˌfɑɪ.ət], roughly CRIZ-o-FIGH-ut.
(2) Japan Rose: Archaic Term for a Camellia; Timothy thinks of 'Japan' (Illyr. Japon) as a Kind of Paint.

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 30 May 2013, 01:05 

L Award (1)
"Prinzson Cassius, actually." replied Richard, as though reading from a script. "And seriously you guys are weird. Or did I miss some memo about flowers being the official way to say sorry. I mean, I generally DON'T say sorry, but when I do, I usually just use my words. And stop punching them. Usually the later then the former, but you know, shake things up, keep them surprised."

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 30 May 2013, 04:04 
Veteran

'I didn't think I had done anything to affront him; I simply thought he might like having a Plant because he's just come from a World which looked to have rather a lot of Green on it,' Timothy answered in a Tone which suggested nothing more than a simple Explanation; he secretly wondered very much what a Print Sun — perhaps Cassius's Given Name, which he did not feel he had any Business using unless so invited — or a Memmo was, though he did not think it entirely polite to ask, nor did he think it would be very nice to say he found the greater Part of Richard's Speech quite perplexing. 'You must excuse me if it isn't usual here, but I'm so accustomed to seeing Flowers given I've never thought anything of it.'

PostPosted: 30 May 2013, 11:28 
Administrator

Cassius looked over the proffered container with amusement and clearly charmed. "Well I am certain I cannot speak for anybody originating from a more local...locale, but where I'm from it is perfectly acceptable and indeed traditional to express one's apologies in the form of a still pristine and thriving floral arrangement. It would certainly please me to accept these, for pure indulgence of fascination if not for an apology."

Cassius took the flowers in the container and sat it beside the rose. "I regret only that I've not anything I can offer in return. Perhaps once this individual here," he indicated the blue rose, "has grown to some degree I can offer you a clipping or a seed." He hummed. "An apology? I don't believe we have been properly introduced after I've made such an abominable initial impression in your medical facility." Cassius made a flourishing half-bow, "Prinzson--well, Prinz now, I suppose--Cassius Holt von SüdenKalifornia. A pleasure, I'm certain. Though I would ask you watch your step: your proportions are not unlikely to break something in a domicile of these proportions."