All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Cassius's Cabin
PostPosted: 30 May 2013, 12:44 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Newcomer (1) Most Serious (1) The Merger Contest (1)
'Timothy Fernand Michael Chartier, formerly royal Magician to the King of Bohemia, now nobody of Import,' Timothy answered by Way of Introduction, and supposed what he had first Thought Print Sun was a Corruption of Prince's Son, which must have been a Title, albeit a rather odd one, and he supposed it meant Cassius's Father or Mother had been the Ruler of a small Country, but it was likely too soon after losing his World for him to wish to talk of it; he was delighted to see Cassius accept the Flowers, despite Richard's Protestation giving them was strange, and the Offer of a Shoot or Seed from the peculiar blue Plant which resembled a Japan-Rose pleased him greatly, so he went on 'I would love to have a Sample of that intriguing Flower if that will cause it no Harm; And, as far as bad first Impressions go, I've likely made some on my own, and I do not look terribly forward to dealing with them.'

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 30 May 2013, 15:39 
Administrator

Medals: 20
Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
Cassius stood with his side facing Timothy, one hand on his hip and another to his chin as he considered the flowers. "Something for whichwe may find invaluable reliance in each other concerning, perhaps." He heaved a breath and faced Timothy more squarely. "Royal Magician. That is a significant distinction certainly without mistake. What, may I ask, merits a claim to such an illustrious title as what?"

PostPosted: 30 May 2013, 16:46 
Veteran

'I was appointed to an Office which is called that, and conducted various Researches on the Behalf of and gave Advice relating to Magic to King Matthias IX of Bohemia, which country has had far too many Kings adopt that Name, though I suppose he was actually born with it,' Timothy answered. 'My primary Speciality is dealing with Time — I grew the Flowers I've just given you by providing the Seeds with what they would need to grow and then accelerating the Passage of Time over a small Area so they would grow naturally in a very short Space; I was fortunate enough to have bought a Chrysophyte Growing Kit during my last Trip to Cressonbury — some of the Flowers came out in unusual Colours as well, but Geneticists love doing such Things, I suppose; I know very little of that Science, I own, but I don't know where we should be without it. Would you like to see more?'

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 30 May 2013, 23:06 

Medals: 1
L Award (1)
"Heh, looks like we're getting lousy with former one thing or anothers. This is why I'm self employed. I'm going to see if I can't find a kitchen. Replicators are for chumps." Richard said, walking for the door.

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 31 May 2013, 09:03 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
"I suppose I cannot keep you," Cassius said. "But Richard--I ask you please not let nothing come of our discussion?"

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2013, 17:32 

Medals: 1
L Award (1)
"I'll think about it. Like I said, it's not exactly a science." Richard said, walking out the door.

[to wherever]

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2013, 20:39 
Veteran

Timothy wondered very much what was not exactly a Science, but he did not think it polite to intrude, and so did not ask: Both Richard and Cassius were very different to anybody he had ever before encountered, so they could well have been talking of something of which he knew nothing. He turned his Attention to the peculiar blue Flower as Richard left, and then he felt some of his Magic cease existing — it was that which had been left on Shaina, and for it to have simply disappeared would mean she had either sustained grievous physical Harm, or, more likely, given the peculiar Events of late and the Abruptness of the Disappearance, had somehow passed into another Space entirely. To leave his own World, he had had to become immaterial, so he had likely reformed himself of Matter present aboard the Vessel on which he had found himself, and had done so by Magic, which Shaina did not appear to have, and Timothy had never encountered any Kind of Science which would allow such a Feat. Had she become immaterial in the Process, it would likely have removed whatever Magic he had left in her after the Mending, and he made a mental Note to himself to see if it was yet there when next he saw her.

He was examining the blue Flower which resembled a Japan-Rose all the While, and, once Richard was gone, said 'This is really a very fine Flower — I don't suppose you're a Geneticist yourself?' Though he knew nothing about the World whence Cassius was come, he supposed they must have made some Progress in that Science since he had very oddly-shaped Ears.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2013, 21:22 
Administrator

Cassius mulled over Richard's response, eyes watching him leave and staying on the door for a while afterwards, as Timothy spoke to him. After a moment of not responding he blinked and looked at the giant. "Pardon my ignorance but I would have to assert the negative. I cannot say I'm familiar with the field. It is related to horticultural endeavours?"

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2013, 23:08 
Veteran

'It can be, I suppose, but Genetics, as a Science, deals with the Traits of living Beings on a fundamental Level — tamper with the Contents of the Cells of something, and you get a Plant with Leaves which are yellow rather than green, or Ivy which makes Disks rather than Roots when it climbs something so it doesn't damage the Façades on which it grows,' Timothy answered. 'It works with other Things as well: somebody had the Idea to mix together Materials taken from Mastiffs, Lions, Tigers, Bears, and God knows what else to make Lion-Dogs, which are really very nice, and I can only imagine this is why we have Rukhs, but I'm not entirely certain on that one; the Library on this Ship probably has some Materials relating to it, if you're interested. I own I found the Mechanics rather dull when we were going over them in School, so I didn't pursue the Subject very far.'

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2013, 15:01 
Administrator

"Oh," Cassius laughed, "I understand. I daresay maybe you could call me that, but I would never go as far as to assert that I am in any way as formally affected in my pursuits to that end as would warrant calling myself an acolyte of the science." Cassius stepped over to the Crimson Aster again and knelt down to feel its leaves. "That being as said, I am a magical prodigy. Call it a case of savant. Regardless, I have tampered with such things many many times. In fact, you could claim without any contestation that it is a speciality of mine. I certainly find it useful--nay--necessary to consider the scientific formalities of the practice, but to be quite honest I tend to navigate more by the ebb and flow, the responses to my probings in the arcane fabric."

Cassius stood and inclined his head to look at Timothy in the eyes. A normal person would be intimidated by someone like Timothy. A normal person would probably also assume Cassius was too arrogant to be intimidated by Timothy. But Cassius knew he wasn't intimidated for a much simpler reason: Timothy was a basically honest and forthright person and was even moreso out of his depth than Cassius at the moment. Physical size and any particular skills he may possess were entirely irrelevant. It was all a state of the mind.

"I do appreciate the gift and sentiment and anticipate reciprocating at the earliest possible opportunity...but certainly loitering about my overtly modest accommodations is less than a proper priority in your expectations of the day's proceeding."

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2013, 17:18 
Veteran

Timothy did not visibly react when Cassius made the singular Presumption of looking him directly in the Face — he was uncertain as to whether this was a Gesture of some Import other than a petty Attempt at a Show of mental Fortitude, but he would have thought Cassius not so imprudent as to wish to give Offence after receiving a Gift of any Kind, and so he placed the Idea of the Gesture containing any great Degree of Animosity to the Back of his Mind. He took this Opportunity to secretly study Cassius more closely: he was a rather ridiculous-looking Man who in some Respects more resembled a Woman, but laughing was, he was certain, not quite polite, so he buried his Desire to do so very deep, and supposed the Sentiment was likely mutual.

Then came the Invitation to depart, which was not something he meant to refuse because he was beginning to find his Host rather chafing, and then something from M over some internal System of Communication or other, which announced the Vessel was out of Fuel; this bothered him more than Cassius's possibly-unintended Misstep (though this was not directed towards anybody), and said 'This is a most unsettling Announcement; you must excuse me if I show myself out,' and then he nodded politely and departed directly.

[To the Corridors]

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2013, 21:49 
Administrator

Cassius blinked again as he watched Timothy depart quickly and suddenly.

"Fortuitous timing, I suppose."

He stood in his room again for a moment, assuming to return to his studies, but then wondered if perhaps he should observe how the situation announced by M was to be resolved. It would be a good thing to do, to familiarise himself with...anything, really. Though he didn't know where the bridge was. And if Timothy's question had demonstrated anything it was that he was still woefully ignorant of any given thing he could be presented with aboard this ship; it was worth wondering if he'd even be able to garner anything from a discussion over a fuel problem. Yes, fuel. He couldn't imagine this thing he was on running off of wood or coal or oil, and couldn't generate a suitable alternative on his own. He had no idea what the fuel even was.

Cassius resumed his sitting position and continued his studies.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2013, 22:13 
Administrator

Cassius had relocated to the desk, with the books, scrolls, and data devices beginning to multiply. He was usually very tidy, but he was needing to move through so many types and flavours of information so quickly and frequently his domicile was beginning to get rather cluttered. The fact that he had been so bare before and now had things without a long term purpose seemingly littering it probably made it seem worse than it actually was. It just seemed disorganised.

But presently, Cassius looked at the time displayed on his desk's ship computer terminal. He leaned back and sighed, sitting for a moment and looking at nothing in particular before pulling himself up. He made his way over to his bed and picked up his gun and sword belt, strapping them to his waist as he was accustomed. For a few minutes he made the effort of collecting the volumes and devices into organised piles, marking sections and closing and exiting various pages and dialogues. Then he left for walk. He had been sitting in the drab little room longer than was appealing anyway.

[Takes a Stroll]

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2014, 22:00 
Administrator

[Returned from Syn's Room before the timeskip established in the Main Hangar]

Cassius had spent his time since leaving Syn's room and Richard's bean cooking attempts in his room. He'd quickly grown bored of reading, and while he figured he could easily have simply left his room, he still felt distinctly out of place literally everywhere else. Well, he felt out of place in his room too, but that at least he could do something about. After some questioning of the databases available, he settled into listening to information rather than reading, occasionally interrupting the audible rendering to ask questions, leaving his other faculties free to do other things. He'd already changed the lighting settings around in his room and had replicated several more containers and more soil, stones and water--even plants that were in the database--and was presently "exploring" possibilities with some of them.

He stroked the leaves of a deep green variety of..."Hedera algeriensis" which he was actively encouraging to grow up the side of a wall he had melted and scarred with metal bonding abrasive that the computer had suggested he could use to mount new fixtures in his room. He'd had to heal several chemical burns and there were drop-spots of mutilated metal on the floor, but Cassius figured the momentary discomfort had been worth it, and the large, oblong container the ivy specimens were planted in covered most of the disfiguring marks on the floor. The ivy was already more than two feet in radius up the wall, and he was pleased. He turned his attention back to the Crimson Aster Timothy had given him. He was certain he wanted to divide it for specimens to entertainingly experiment with at some point, but he also wanted to keep this one mostly intact, and hadn't quite decided where to place it in the room yet. The room was only so big, after all.

Suddenly, the computer-formulated narration of what exactly Star Wars was was interrupted by Richard's voice over the shipwide comms. "Calling Doctor Howard, Doctor Fine, Doctor Howard. Please Report to Surgery." There was a pause. "So... For that Metaphor, Emeris is Doctor Howard, Keris is Doctor Fine, and Shaina is Doctor Howard. And Surgery is the Bridge. So... basically, could you three come to the bridge? Actually, everyone not keeping the ship from blowing up could probably come. Thank you."

Cassius didn't look away from the aster at first, though he did stand up from his crouch. "Computer, cease narration." He went over to the still mostly empty closet space beyond the bed and picked up his holster, belt and sword. "Convenient invitation," he said to nobody in particular. At least such and invitation implied that he was either going to be asked to do something, asked for his input or be involved in a conversation where everyone else was nearly as a-sea as he was.

Assuming anybody expected him to show up.

Cassius pulled on the belt and stopped for a bit as he put the holster aside. He would make a point to ask M or Richard about checking the vessel he'd arrived on for his pistol. In the meantime, he added Artemis, his sword, to the belt. Everybody else on board only seemed to carry a gun, barring Richard's lightsabre and Shaina's spanner, if that could be counted as a weapon. But then, what did it matter? He'd destroyed that Drome with just Artemis and his magic. Let them enjoy their guns, he'd trust Artemis.

...he still missed his pistol.

[To the Bridge]