All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: The Armoury
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2012, 20:38 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Newcomer (1) Most Serious (1) The Merger Contest (1)
'So this is the Armoury — unsurprising, I suppose,' Timothy said. 'Is there any Way I may communicate Directly with my Companions; and how might we make Use of these Security Measures — an Ounce of Prevention is worth a Pound of Slain Lizardman.'

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2012, 20:38 
Administrator

Medals: 20
Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
'Location and stasis of personal communication devices are currently unknown to this device. Security measures may be activated by this device. Caution: security measures may be faulty. This device has no access to security diagnostics.'

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2012, 20:39 
Veteran

Timothy, being rather uncertain as to what exactly faulty Security Measures might mean, simply said 'please confer with the other two regarding such Measures and tell me where I might at least look for a Communication Device.'

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
'Awaiting response,' the robot said, still in Illyrian.

Medals: 4
Best Artist (2) Absentee (2)
"Uh....huh." Syn had decided to keep quite as the Gynoid and the big man chattered in a language that made absolutely no sense to him. Then, once they were apparently finished, he remembered something. "Oh, hey Raine, while I remember. I picked this up for you earlier. The others and I have one too, but I think mine's a little broken."

He had put down the node-screen carefully and reached into his pack to take out his PDA-slate, and the one he had picked up for Raine much ealier, which he handed to her.

"Oh, cool." Raine replied, taking the datapad. "You think that we can have the robot-girl put some translation software into this?" She asked, holding up her pad, "We could use it to talk to Tim."

"Perhaps...Heh, and mine's working fine now. That's good." He had immeditately set upon giving his pad a quick look-over, and whatever affliction or disturbance had caused it to bug up before seemed to have cleared now. "Here, swap. Try and get in touch with the others with this, I'll take that one and see what we can do with the million-credit-girl over here."

They swapped pads, as Syn's was already set up to communicated with the others, while Raine's was not, and set to their tasks.

"I don't know what kind of range these things have, but it's worth trying, I suppose...hold up!" Syn began, then stopped Raine. "We might alert the lizardmen if we send out any signals...let's just stick to getting a translation, and see if we can't get the girl working properly again."

"Fine, do your thing then." Raine sighed, taking a step back and sitting down carefully on a broken crate of what looked like lighters.

"Alright then...So...you're taking verbal commands now...Do you recall your name, Gynoid?" Syn asked, trying his best not to sound too tech-savvy.

As someone who really enjoys contractions: It's what it's.

Also I make games sometimes!

Administrator

'Language identified as Standard Lethain English,' the bot said, adapting to the new target voice. 'Designation of this device--designation of this device--conflicting entries returned. Numerical precedence indicates "One." Awaiting response. Repeating query and context: Location and stasis of personal communication devices are currently unknown to this device. Security measures may be activated by this device. Caution: security measures may be faulty. This device has no access to security diagnostics.'

"Hoo-boy, let's leave the security measures alone for now. Personal Communication device would be this..." Syn hooked up Raine's PDA to the station, "Could you upload a universal translator to it? One that converts Lethain-English to...whatever it was you were speaking before, if you please."

Administrator

'Operation Completed.'

Veteran

'What is that?' Timothy asked; he was looking quite puzzledly at the Device which Syn was holding, and then he tapped it and looked rather puzzled. 'I don't see why I bother saying anything — it isn't as though you can understand me,' and then he paused for a Moment when he saw that Syn and Raine were not looking puzzled. 'I suppose you're going to tell me you can now, aren't you?'

"Well, that ought to make things a damned sight easier." Syn let out a loud sigh, relieved. "Pleasure to finally communicate with you, Tim." He said, first looking rather gratefully at him, then the Gynoid, then the PDA. He had no idea how they worked, but he couldn't help remarking inwardly on how far technology had gone since he had left Earth. A combination of vocal replicators, adaptive sound dampeners and translation libraries were causing the PDA to literally speak over Tim's voice in a perfect translation, complete with his own voice and accent, in near-perfect real time. It even sounded like it was coming from his own mouth. Much better than a certain search engine's translate feature.
"Keep ahold of this," he said, offering the PDA to Timothy, "it'll translate for you, just don't ask me how... It's more than a little over my head."

"Like most things, I recall." Raine remarked from the side, "So what now?"

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2012, 20:40 
Veteran

'Yes, yes, likewise,' Timothy answered — the Device, whatever it was, was very strange, but also very helpful. 'Sorry for spiriting you off like that earlier, but something was very much amiss in that Room, and I thought it best to be away from those awful Lizardmen.'

When the Question of what to do next was asked, he answered 'we find a Way of getting ourselves off this Contraption, or of getting the Lizardmen off it. I was hoping we would end up on the Planet, but apparently, we're some how supposed to be here; but, if you don't mind my asking, what exactly are you?'

"S'fine, just as long as we don't loose or gain any seconds, minutes, hours, years or centuries in the process of hopping from place to place." Syn waved off Timothy's concern without much thought. Raine didn't seem to mind much either, if at all. "And I'm almost glad you asked. I am an Emberkin, my mother was a vampire, father was a rather powerful archdemon, potent mix, I'm told." His eyes lit up as he spoke, seeming to heat up the air around them as small waves of heat flowed up and down his arms; he seemed to take pride in his heritage at least. "I inherited my father's primary element, and my mother's looks, among other things. I'm pretty much the best-looking pyromancer you'll ever meet."

Raine brained him with something heavy and metal. Sparks flew from Syn's head.

"He heals quickly too, and mostly feeds off of latent heat in the air around him, so don't feel bad about stabbing him from time to time." Raine added, with a little malice, before returning to a more polite manner, "Myself, I'm a Tyran Hybrid. Not much better than this guy at sticking close to baseline, but I don't let it bother me. Human with modified Tyranid DNA, and the ability to... Well, it's most easily explained as evolving in real-time, I adapt to things, quickly." She shrugged, not sure what to add to that, then she seemed a little concerned as a thought crossed her mind. "I do hope that the eating people thing didn't put you off, I'm afraid that it was something of a necessity. I don't do it that often, I promise." She did appear quite apologetic at least, if only for possibly disgusting their new friend.

Administrator

'This unit is a homebrew gynoid construct intended for versatility. Functions include combat, repair, pattern recognition and processing, high level computing, storage and banter. Time since first activation: corrupt. Designer: Chaz Natlo. Builder: Chaz Natlo. Currently serviceable abilities: Combat: offline. Repair: offline. Pattern Recognition and Processing: online. High Level Computing: online. Storage: destroyed. Banter: corrupt; offline.'

Veteran

Timothy badly suppressed a Laugh at watching Raine hit Syn with a large Object of some Description or other — he was not paying very close Attention to what it was — though he was not really comfortably with the Idea of stabbing him.

'Well, I admit I'm not terribly fond of Cannibalism, though I'm not sure those... Things... were actually Human, so I shan't worry too much about it,' Timothy answered. 'It's very nice to be able to talk — I was beginning to wonder if I weren't going to become Mute for all this; I'm not quite certain how to tell you what I am, other than Human, but I'm beginning to get the Impression I'm something else... by his Voice, I gather Syn is done growing, though I've never seen a Man that small before.'

Then Timothy thought another Moment, and added, 'I am, among other Things, the Royal Magician of Bohemia, and my Name, in Case you didn't understand before, is Timothy Chartier,' (here he bowed), 'now please, do tell me where we are and what those... Things... outside are, other than dreadfully impolite and surprisingly flimsy.'

Then the very broken Woman said something Timothy did not understand, so he asked 'what on Earth is she going on about?'

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2012, 20:41 

Raine had to try really hard not to laugh at 'a man that small', so she didn't try. She snorted.

"Oi-oi-oi!" Syn growled, "I'm not that short. you're just really tall."

It took a moment for Raine to calm down, during which time the broken woman spoke, and Timothy made his reaction clear.

"Don't they have robots where you're from, big guy?" She asked, still giggling slightly.

"She's telling us that she's broken, and I reckon we should try and fix her up as best we can, all the more to help ourselves out of this mess." Syn continued grumbling. He didn't like knocks about his height, though he knew that Timothy hadn't meant it that way. "Oh, and in case you didn't get it before, I'm Syn, and this is Raine." he motioned between the two of them. "Feel free to call her 'Giggles' until she's done though, if she keeps finding things funny, she'll be a source of amusement all day."

It was Raine's turn to look grumpy, though she had to try and force back a laugh to do so.

"The reptiles are Dromeaenthropes. Pretty much evil alien space lizards, all lovably and cuddly, so far as your definition of lovable and cuddly includes sharp teeth and high-tech weapons' fire. I'd call them quite the threat, if only because I don't know exactly what we're up against. I've only encountered a couple of estranged mercenaries from their race before, and they were a lowly couple at best. This group seems to be a well-trained, experienced military group, under the main governing body of their race. I don't think we'll take them by surprise again, and I'm fairly certain that they were watching us in the brig. Which makes Raine's little meal more of a racial-bird-flipping than a social boo-boo, and makes us as a group as close to racial enemy number one as we're likely to get." He took a moment to try and think of something else to add, hoping to end on a spin of optimism. He shrugged.
"On the upside, we've got a friend on board. He may very well be dead soon, but I think he'll be helpful in the long-run, if he's as good at staying alive as I remember."

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2012, 20:41 
Veteran

'A Robot would be, from the Look of her, some Manner of artificial Human?' Timothy asked. 'I've never seen such a Thing before, no, nor heard of one, though this one is very clearly broken,' and here he turned to Syn, and very clearly wanted to laugh himself, 'though if Raine is to be called Giggles, I might as well call you Shortie.'

Then he did laughed — a good, hearty one — before clearing his Throat and looking rather grave.

'Now, onto more serious Matters — we have these Lizardmen which are very far divorced from my Idea of Cuddliness, presumably attempting to commandeer this Vessel?' Timothy asked. 'I find that dreadfully inconvenient, as I need to examine it and return a Report to my Superiors, if I ever get back to my own Home; it is, I suppose, quite imperative that they be gotten rid of: I've every Suspicion that it's a rather dangerous Thing, and don't want them to have it; I certainly hope our Friend is not the only Reenforcement we might expect?'

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2012, 20:42 

Syn grumbled quite pointedly at shortie but moved on pretty quickly.

"We do have a robot to add to our party as well now, though she does need some fixing up...I suppose we won't have her joining us for another three worlds yet, if previous experience is anything to go by, and even then she'll probably spend most of her time calling us meatbags and requiring one of us to conduct further repairs for another two."

"...What are you talking about?" Raine had calmed down enough to look confused.

"Ah, nevermind, clearly not a KOTOR fan." Syn waved her away, then began again. "If things have gone according to plan so far, then our friend out there isn't alone, though even the two of them probably won't be able to clear their way through an entire ship of Dromes. If it were Space Pirates I'd advise we just sat here and left them to it, but Dromes present a more...scaly threat, divorced from cuddliness indeed." He chuckled, "No, our friend and his friend can take care of themselves, and will give the dromes a massive headache in the meantime. Beyond that, we need some way of getting in touch with the others. I think that by now they will have gone planetside, otherwise they'd have been in the brig with us earlier, or otherwise...I prefer to think that they've gone planetside. There weren't enough dead lizards to justify Richard having been locked in a small room for longer than a couple of hours at best anyway, so I suppose that backs me up there. That leaves us with...get in touch, then wait, or wait..."

"Not very likeable options, I must say." Raine frowned. "If I can get to my ship, then I might be able to connect with the Hive Network and call in some friends. Small problem though, there aren't any primary synapse nodes in system...in fact, I don't even know quite where this system is, I can't guarantee that I'll be able to connect at all. And even then we'd have to wait for backup to arrive."

"Not much of an option there either, we'd have to sneak through the ship to whichever hangar bay they clamped your space-puppy down in, and he's sure to be under surveillance." He motioned to Timothy, "Not sure how much you know about space-travel, but living spaceships are pretty hard to come across, so Raine's little fighter is bound to be an object of great interest."

"They'd better have fed him something at least, poor thing must be starving." Raine pouted.

"...Riiight. So, do we think we can get in touch with the rest of our merry band without alerting attention, or do we just want to sit pretty with the broken wind-up girl here?" Syn asked of the two of them, putting on a smile to hide his frustration at the lack of options.

Veteran

'I know nothing whatever about it other than that it presumably involves Travelling through the Void which surrounds us, and that I had never, before now, heard of anybody doing it except in a Story or two I've read,' Timothy answered. 'However, I can appreciate that this Apparatus probably does not belong to those Things, and that retrieving it might be problematic; I was hoping for that Planet when I brought us here — I did it blindly because the Coat sometimes understands you're meant to be somewhere and can even take you there, but other Times it's quite unpredictable; I've no Idea where we might end up if we tried it again, and Directing it so far would be rather taxing, and I've no Idea when we might end up if we jump blindly again.'

Then Timothy had an Idea and asked 'does that Device you're using to talk to me have the Capability to connect with something one of your Companions on the Planet might have by whatever Method of Transmission the Broken Woman used to give you whatever it is that's letting us talk now?'

"The PDAs? Yeah, I'd think so. Most of our group have one, and they should be able to contact one another over a fair distance. Only two problems there, first being the universal definition of 'fair' is always just short of what you need, when you need it, and second being that the Dromes would probably be alerted to it, and they'd then be able to find us because of it. I wouldn't want to test our luck there, honestly. Not unless our friend finds us first." Syn seemed a little pessimistic, just a little.

"Pity we're not still in the brig, we wouldn't have to worry." Raine almost laughed a little at the thought. "I mean, they'd already know that we were there."

"Yeah, but then we'd probably be quite blue in the face by now." Syn shrugged, the an idea hit him. He thought about it for a moment, then had to fight off a wide grin. "Hey, Raine. Can you still do that sealed-suit thing you Hybrids are so fond of?"

"EVA Shell? Yeah, I'd need a supply of air beforehand... You want me to go back to the brig and get in touch with your friends on the planet?" She didn't seem very impressed.

"Yep. And Tim, have you still got that bell of yours?" He hoped that he had interpreted Timothy's earlier actions correctly, or else he'd look like quite the idiot, though Raine seemed to have gotten the same impression, as she looked surprised for a moment as Syn's plan dawned on her.

Veteran

Timothy produced the Bell from his Pocket and said 'I don't fancy it could have gotten anywhere in so short a Space, my dear Shortie,' and then he tapped it (without ringing it) and a rather faint golden Shimmer passed between his Finger and the Object.

'Ring it once to go back to the Brig, and another Time to get back here — and don't worry: it takes quite a Jolt to make it sound,' Timothy instructed, and then he passed it to Raine. 'As for Air, I can make you a Bubble if you like — it ought to last at least a Quarter-Hour or so, though it generally works best underwater... if you've something better, though, by all Means, do try it; be careful, though: the Magic which will take you back to the Brig will only work once — a Pity, I was hoping to trap a Lizardman or two there for further interrogation, but I may find a suitable Place elsewhere — and, once you're back, I won't be able to send you to the Brig again without my Coat, which is rather more taxing to direct because it means I have to think about so many Things at once. Do you think you'll want any other Magic?'

"Give me a moment to think." Raine said a little bluntly, then after a couple of moments she had a small, capsule-shaped object grow from the back of her arm. She detached this from herself, her bodysuit reforming around the bare skin, and set it down as it began to expand and grow. A small, circular mouth at the front of it began sucking in air, as large sacks across its surface filled. "That'll be my air," she said, taking a step back from the rather basic organism. She then had a hard chitin armour with softer, articulated joints form around her, complete with sealed helm, in a process which took little more than a second. "And this'll keep me airtight."

She picked up the organism on the floor, and hoisted it onto her back, where the mouth-part connected with something on the small of her back.

"I apologise for my friend's rather squicky habits." Syn added, helpfully.

"Shush, if this will work, then don't complain." said Raine, her voice somewhat distorted from the shell encasing her. "I should have a couple of hours, with this thing full. But if I've only got one shot, then you'd best make it count. What do you want me to do, exactly, once I'm back on the brig?"

"I want you to try and get in touch with the others on the surface. Send a message if you can't get some kind of live chat going, just update them on what's happening up here."

"Right, thanks for being so specific. I'll try and scavenge some biomass from those oxygen factories I left up there as well, if they haven't withered due to lack of CO2 by now. Might be helpful in a fight." She made sure that she could access the PDA quickly; it was sealed inside a carapace-covered pouch on her hip. "Any favours for you Timothy?" She asked, holding out her taloned hand, carefully, to receive the bell.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2012, 20:43 
Veteran

'Well, I suppose Miss Giggles can't help her rather... I cannot think of a polite Word for it... Habits,' Timothy answered. 'If there are any Rations left on the Lizardmen, I should certainly like something to eat. Otherwise, be careful with that Bell — I'm going to want to make other Magics on it later. The Transportation will be nigh-instantaneous, and it will bring you to the Point my Feet were touching at the Time, so it doesn't matter terribly much if the Brig has drifted further; it doesn't really feel like anything, though it's best if you close your eyes because it can be rather disorientating the first Time.'

Then Timothy thought for a Moment.

'I can't think of anything else now — I'll hopefully be able to amuse myself with Shortie while you're gone.'

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2012, 20:43 

"Oh, I pillaged everything that they had earlier." Said Syn, reaching into his pack and taking out a handful of rations, which he then offered to Timothy. "Not the tastiest of things, but should be pretty high in protein." He added with a grin.

"Riiight. I'll be off then, give me about half and hour. You can start worrying if I'm gone much longer than that." Raine's head cocked to the side slightly as she talked, making note of the time internally. She then checked over a number of other things, making sure that her oxygen pack was secure, that her exoskeleton was air-tight, and that she had a good grip on the bell.

"Oh, just so you know." Syn butted in again, "I don't think they'll be able to monitor the life-signs on the brig any more, given that it's kind've not attached to the Realm, but they will more than likely be on the lookout for incoming and outgoing signals. Unless they're scanning it consistently for whatever reason I doubt you'll have anything to worry about for a little while, but if things do get hairy, get back here before they have the chance to get worse." He then added in an ever-so-slightly more serious undertone, "I don't want to be the one to have to tell Urza and Wraith that I cocked up twice in two days, especially when we're so close."

"...When I get back, you're explaining that little gem." Raine said in a tone that suggested she were glaring, or at least would be if she had human features at the time. "In any case, seeya'll soon." And with that, she rang the little bell with a fair bit of effort, and disappeared.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2012, 20:44 
Veteran

'I shan't presume to ask what that was all about, but I think you might be in some Trouble,' Timothy said once Raine was quite vanished — he had eaten through a few of the Rations Syn had offered him quite quickly because he was hungry, though he thought the Stuff tasted terrible. 'You must take me to wherever People in this World buy Food once this is all over with so I can cook something more paletable — I don't imagine you're terribly fond of the ghastly Stuff, either. A Pity my Magic can't do anything for the Flavour.'

Then he took a seat and asked 'would you mind telling me something of your Companions? I know they're all on that Planet I saw coming in, but I've no Idea who, or how many, they are.'

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2012, 20:44 

"It's fine, I'm sure that she'll have forgotten all about it by the time it becomes useful." Syn chuckled, "And don't worry, when this is all over, we'll have a right-proper feast in celebration." He took a quick look behind himself, and found a suitable place to sit as well, expecting to be here for a short while. "Now, as for the other fine members of our fun-filled love cruise across the cosmos, lessee." He started counting off on his fingers, "There's our obligatory fearless leader, Jayge, who is currently missing in action. He's a good kid, though I'm not sure that many of those who're following him are quite sure as to why exactly they're following him. There's our tech-head, Shaina, lovely girl, her. Likes to wave her little spanner around, quick with a pistol too, good to have with you most of the time, bit bossy whether she's with you or not though."

At this he chuckled again, "There's Richard...our...red-head. He...uh...has red hair, and makes problems go away. Or causes them, then makes them go away. Then eats a lot. He's fun." At this point, Syn paused to think. "Recently we've picked up a few more though, that chick Keris is an interesting one, bit of a high-horse type, but she's pretty solid, I think she'll fit in well if she just calms down a bit. 'M' is an odd one, though I think he's more reliable than, well, me on a good day. Which is only a little less reliable than me on a bad day. Then there's Raine. I know her from a while back, and you've met her. Good girl, odd habits, but they're not her fault. Good fighter, and that is her fault. Kinda cocky, likes to start things that she shouldn't...Probably into some absolutely filthy things in the bedroom."

From his tone, it wasn't certain whether Syn was joking, or approving. It was an odd balance of inflection, which he had spent years perfecting. "In any case, she'll be good for us. And then, finally, there's you. And, well, you're you. Wonderful, magical, mystical Tim. Self explanatory really." He smiled, shrugging. "There's a couple more cast members yet to be assembled yet, but they'll introduce themselves in their own free time, I'm sure."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next