All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Handy Reference
PostPosted: 19 Apr 2011, 15:25 
Administrator

Medals: 20
Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
This thread is being posted and pinned just as a quick reference in case someone needs to check something but doesn't want to slog through tonnes of posts/text to find it. If you feel you've got something that should be put on here, post about what it is in the pinned OoC Topic first, and more than likely it'll just be waved on to being posted here.

Note that this is not a discussion topic, as that would rather defeat the purpose of having a thread meant to help avoid slogging through a bunch of text.

Over and out.

Post subject: Handy Reference
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2011, 20:59 

Medals: 1
L Award (1)
Apparent age by Human standards ((Some guesswork involved))

30 Emiris
27 Nathan
27 Richard
26 Saoirse
25 Keris
24 Jayge
23 Chaz
23 K-Nea
22 Rythen
22 Syn
22 Rythen
21 Raine
21 Cassius
20 Shaina

Apparent age with species accounted for where species is noticable

68 Cassius
56 Keris
45 Emiris
27 Nathan
27 Richard
26 Saoirse
24 Jayge
23 Chaz
23 K-Nea
22 Syn
21 Raine
20 Shaina

Formerly Avalon

Post subject: Re: Handy Reference
PostPosted: 28 Jul 2013, 19:54 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
I thought some people would be interested in knowing how exactly the Rydberg works, so I pulled up this file from a Baseline Echo-4 A1S2 database.

Recovered File wrote:
Rydberg SpecOps Service Pistol [Prototype]

Uses: Developed as the ultimate tool for a single or few man infiltration or assassination team.

Initial Field Deployment: Never mass produced; single functional model in the possession of Field Marshal Lord Zeth Acubierre Holt (deceased); assumed destroyed.

Length: 218 mm

Weight: 1750 g

Effective Range: -----

Optimal Range: -----

Rate of Fire: See Firing Modes.

Fire Modes: Firing modes included in the default programming package was intended to include:
>Single Shot
>Three Round Burst
>Five Round Burst
>Continuous Stream [60 rps]
>Uninterrupted Beam [5000 pps]

The Rydberg Operating System Interface (ROSI) can be used to theoretically set any firing mode at any frequency. This means that a continual stream of fire may have its rounds per second (rps) increased until the rounds coalesce into a beam. The beam may be adjusted to lower and higher frequencies, measured in packages per second (pps), the quantity of Rydberg matter composing five non-beam rounds. The safe upper limit for the end user is slated at 9000 pps. Above this threshold, the intake for Rydbeg production creates a hazard for the end user. The safe upper limit for the device was tested at 30000 pps. Above this limit, the weapon has the destructive potential of approximately 25 kg of TNT as the internal mechanisms are destabilised by the intake, and an implosion trips the ZPE channel lock. Should the ZPE channel lock fail or be purposefully sabotaged for any reason, the destructive potential of the impaired device increases by many orders of magnitude. Deemed unprofitable risk, this fact was core to the firearm's cancellation of production beyond prototype manufacturing and testing.

General Information:
The Rydberg utilises Rydberg Matter formed within the weapon as projectiles. Rydberg matter, such as it is, does not fall squarely into any classical state of matter (solid, liquid, gas, plasma), and has some properties in common with energy as well as matter. Its primary motivating trait for weaponisation is its ability to phase through energy and plasma shields, planes and objects without distorting. In theory, it could be modified to phase through gases as well, though currently the weaponised projectile avoids interference with common gaseous occurances by other means.

Interesting notations include modifications of metal surfaces at the atomic level, with valence electrons being caught by standing wave, valence electrons of the Rydberg matter. The low energy state of the matter would weaken the bonds of the valence electrons in the target surface caught by the matter, effectively removing them from their atoms, and breaking any covalent bonds that atom may have had. Further, the low energy state caused by the standing wave electrons in the Rydberg matter cause Rydberg matter and the subsequent projectiles to be significantly cooler than more traditional equivalents, both solid and energy.

Very much worth noting is that in order to avoid utilising a cartridge system for storing matter to be used in the creation of Rydberg matter—which would be such a tedious and limited system so as to render the device unusable—the Rydberg pulls from ambient matter about the device to produce the necessary ammunition. Above 9000 pps, the weapon is exerting such a strong pull on surrounding matter that it can be hazardous to the end user handling the weapon. Above 30000 pps, the device effectively exerts enough pull on the immediate area to acquire matter necessary to create Rydberg matter that it pulls in its own mechanisms, imploding the device. This method of matter ammunition acquisition renders the Rydberg defunct as a firearm in a vacuum.

Key to the versatility of the Rydberg as a SpecOps device is the powerful software package and computing power built into the device. It is an effective hacking utensil and extra-native control interface, with both wireless and hard connection capabilities.

Special Note:
The Rydberg SpecOps Service Pistol has several integral component utilising technology (see: ZPE channeller, Quantum Double Helical Digital Storage) developed in temporally advanced alternate chronologies. The acquisition of these technologies was not authorised by the Takaran Frontline Defense Development Initiative or the Freikorps General Staff Designate for Extra-Temporal Interactions. Though no action has been taken against the developer owing to their careful legal negotiations, the technology in this device is classified as potentially hazardous to temporal self-determination.

[Intended Off-Record Comment; Source: Unknown]
“He knows damn well what he did and that he'd be pissing off a lot of bureaucrats, MPs and lawyers doing it. What? No. 'Nobody told you'? Okay, so oversimplifying it several times over: he exploited a bunch of loopholes and whatever shit and acquired the technology from an alternate of himself who was already building the device in an approved contact 'verse. Apparently 'he' stored it somewhere, and then 'he' picked it up later. Same person was in possession the entire time so far the letter of the law's concerned. Spoiled bastard always gets what he wants and never has to face the repercussions us normal people do."

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2013, 20:15 
Administrator

I thought some people would be interested in knowing exactly what Cassius can and cannot magick, so I've condensed the following from some brainstorming I did a handful of days ago.

Quote:
I was considering what elements would be dead to Cassius's bane system of magic. The only two materials I KNOW are dead materials for a fact are Tungsten (W) and what Cata calls "puresteel", which IIRC is the IBname for stainless steel (the IBname for Tungsten is Wulframite).

If I consider what separates stainless steel from regular steel or iron—which are also very difficult to banecast over—I am forced to conclude that Chromium (Cr) is the element that enhances the magical deadness (or at least in combination with what is already magically deadening in the alloy), which...interestingly lies in a straight line down the periodic table with Tungsten. I know that Tungsten has the greatest known magical deadening effect. Puresteel after that, and after that regular steel and then finally iron, which is merely difficult to banecast over. Taking this into account, I notice that Chromium, Manganese (Mg; being an ingredient of steel), Iron (Fe) and Tungsten all surround Technetium (Tc) on the periodic table; Technetium being a radioisotopic element. So I imagine that the radioactivity has something to do with the magical deadzoneyness. Which makes sense to me.

So, if I assign numbers corresponding to strength of deadening to each element, with Technetium having a 3, and the number decreasing according to nearness/adjacency:

>Manganese, Molybdenum (Mo), Ruthenium (Ru) and Rhenium (Re) each have a str of 2.
>Iron, Chromium, Tungsten and Osmium (Os) each have 1.

Which may make Tungsten seem to be one of the weaker elements, but then Tungsten is adjacent to another radioisotope: Seaborgium (Sg). Sg would assign W an str of 2, bringing W a total of 3, and thus stronger than Cr, and stronger than an alloy of Cr, Mg and Fe, which would be stainless steel, aka “puresteel.” I can say the latter, because as I figure, to find the str number of an alloy of different elements, you would need to figure the average str of the alloyed elements, weighted by percentage present in the alloy. Given puresteel, or stainless steel, is made of one element with an str of 2 and two with an str of 1, there is no way possible that it can produce a stronger magical deadening effect for banecasters than Wulframite, or Tungsten. This would all remain consistent with the known facts.

Here's an example of how you'd reckon:

EDIT (I realised I should probably include this):
It is definitely worth noting that Cassius can still banecast elements with an str of 1; it's just difficult. The higher the number as you approach 2, the more difficult. Elements with strs of 2 are magically dead, meaning he can't directly magick them at all. Materials with an str of 3 or higher project a magically dead aura around them. The higher the str, the greater the dead zone.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2013, 14:58 
Administrator

Here's the weapon M picked up off of Mari.

[The pistol still needs a lot of work; took it down for now.]

You can click them for a larger version.
I may or may not get around to posting stats and facts like I did with the Rydberg.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2013, 13:55 
Administrator

An unpolished and basic example of what the general Lethain Corporation SecForce troops look like. It's really just here for reference, and can be extrapolated from. Officers like Commander Shepherd have a rather different uniform, of course. Uniform colours are Red, Blue and Gold, with a few black components.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2014, 19:00 
Administrator

For reference:

The year is apparently somewhere in 4400s. If more information is forthcoming, you will be the first to know. Well second, after whomever figures it out.