All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 301 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Medical Bay
PostPosted: 04 Apr 2014, 19:42 
Administrator

Medals: 20
Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
"French females...a fine stock, yes." Cassius would ordinarily have been on that bait like, well, like a Frenchman on a French woman, but he was admittedly enthralled at the eddies of magically conveyed information the spells were illuminating for his mind. There was little visible--the charcoal crisped up a bit, with specks falling off here and there from the heat--but the extra magical sense in Cassius's brain was feeling whorls and knots and tessellations. He had to focus to keep writing his observations rather than just watching. It was, rather appropriately, liking staring into an open fire. Sometimes it was just mesmerising.

But Syn stopped, and Cassius blinked away his enrapturement and cleared his throat. "No offence intended toward your very fit physique, but I daresay there are far superior media with which to depict la Femme. Oil on canvas. Marble. Flesh on sheets, perhaps." He put down his clipboard and stood simply considering Syn for a minute before speaking again. "I am done with you, but be in expectation of a summons for a return. You have so very great a potential, ah, Syn...?"

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2014, 10:01 

Medals: 4
Best Artist (2) Absentee (2)
"You all right back there sharp?" Syn had asked after a moment of Cassius' observations, "Ah, drooling, I see. Fair enough. Don't get embarrassed about it, I get that all the time." He ceased the demonstration immediately, and waited for Cassius to snap back to attention.

Straight in on the french girls joke, good man.

"Sure thing Doc," he nodded, and his upper-clothing flashed back into being with a small rush of heat, sparks and ember. He made doubly sure to linger the flames across his back for a moment longer than strictly necessary, to ensure that the charcoal would be removed. Couldn't go leaving mage-marks on his body now, could he? Even if he did like the mage in question. "Give me a shout anytime, if I'm not busy, I might just show you a superior medium." He cocked a half-smile and an eyebrow, and winked the elf as though teasing. He stood up from the bed and brushed off his arms, rubbing his thumb over the area Cassius had drawn some blood from earlier. There was something about needles that just set him on edge, he reflected, though only for a moment.

"Oh, it's Syndra, Syndra Pyrite. Chose the last name myself, when I was younger and thought I was oh-so clever. I quite like it now though. Not too fond of Syndra though, so most people just call me Syn. Very biblical." he added the latter as a joke. "Seeya around, Cassius von Princeson, was it?" he gave a short wave as he backed out towards the door, waiting to be corrected.

His PAD gave a little vibration as he left, waving over his shoulder. The kitchen then? I suppose there's not much else left to do besides catching up with the girls and their team..

[Syn to the Kitchen]

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2014, 19:50 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
"Von Holt will suffice, Mister Pyrite," Cassius obliged, not looking up from his clipboard. He needed more paper.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2014, 20:45 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Keris emerged from the store room just after Syn had left. Having checked on the progress of the remaining members of Corporal Simango's team, she passed on the information that the rest of his squad had been ordered from the Med. Bay. She was unsurprised to learn that they had already reported in to notify him of this fact but had made no mention of the reason. As she had hoped, they had nearly completed their analysis, although the results were far from complete. Simango showed her the data: a good 30% of the items in the inventory were listed as 'Unconfirmed. Further analysis required', and one member of the team was busy with carefully splitting off samples of each of these substances and sealing them up in tiny phials.

"Where did you get all things?" Simango asked, a perplexed expression on his face and a trace of stress showing in his tone.

Keris merely shrugged.

"Your big boss is probably the one to consult about that. He seems to know more about the history of this vessel than most of us. I hope you're not planning on confiscating the ones you can't identify. I can personally vouch for the medical properties of one of those unknown substances - I used it on two members of the crew with very good results. And our new medic would be very grateful for a copy of your list so that he knows what he has available to work with."

"We've no immediate plans to deprive you of any of your drugs as yet," Simango assured her, "but I'd request that everything remains within this medical bay and that appropriate records are kept of anything that's used. Your medic is welcome to a copy of our inventory but what's wrong with the ship's own inventory?"

Keris shrugged again.

"Yours is more useful. You've scanned them all and given your analyses where you could. All we have to go on currently is the brief descriptions in the Med. Bay inventory, written by some anonymous person whose credentials we know nothing about. You've got objective data. Let me just check he's got an ID on the system."

She pulled out her PAD and tapped out a couple of instructions on it. "Yes, here he is."

She wafted the PAD in front of Simango's face. "That's who you need to send it to."

Corporal Simango noted the name and promised he'd send the data as soon as they were done - which would be as soon as Private Havers had finished collecting the samples.

Keris nodded curtly and left them to complete the last of their work.

"You'll be free of trespassers very shortly," she reported to Cassius as she emerged. "They're nearly done. Check your mail on your PAD or one of the terminals in here in a few minutes; you should find a copy of their inventory, all analysed and collated. Now I have other work to attend to."

Keris made her way to the door and vanished into the corridor.

[To Elsewhere]

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2014, 20:30 
Administrator

[From the Corridors]

"If by space adventure you mean purposefully messy then sure. You know this one time on the Intrepid we had to pretend to be staff at this reeaally fancy party--not exactly a typical job but anyway--yeah. There was no blending in." As the two women entered the medical bay, Shaina couldn't help but notice the obnoxious near constant whine of a beeping alarm. It didn't take her long to locate the source, spotting Cassius hesitatingly pecking at some manner of holographic interface orbiting his left hand--presumably one belonging with the medical equipment. Each peck at--or more accurately through, given the noviceship of the user--the holographic menus was followed by the elf snapping his head back up to look at the beeping mechanism that was hanging over one of the exam tables: something resembling the skeleton of a tanning bed cover.

Cassius noticed the two walking in as he rose his head to check on the status of the beeping thing. "Oh, ah, hello. I, ah, must confess you are far from catching me at my best. I shall attend as I am able. Ng--" Another peck caused some of the lights on the mechanism, already lit, to flare brightly, and the alarm changed to some manner of localised siren.

"Um Ficks willen," Shaina swore exasperatedly, striding over to Cassius grabbing his hand with the holographic interface on it and examining the commands briefly before exiting half the menus and selecting an abort procedure command, ceasing annoying sounds and lights. She looked Cassius in the face with a flat expression before letting go of his hand. "All hail the menacing boy genius, who can't even find an off button." She turned to run her spanner over the examination device, putting Cassius at her side. "Give you an authoritative position on a ship only a few millennia beyond your time and you already manage to use it to override safeties and cook anybody who stands in the wrong part of the medical bay. What?" She turned to face him again, satisfied with her readings. "Just using it normally wasn't exciting enough?" She looked at the bed and snatched up the purplish-burgundy filled phial set innocently in the centre on the neatly folded sheets. "What the hell were you trying to do anyway?"

Cassius snatched the phial back for himself before Shaina even had a chance to inspect it up close. "Though doubtless that it is none of your concern: I was attempting to utilise the medical facilities in more accurately deducing the composition of a biological sample." He cleared his throat as he walked to the rear of the medical bay and placed the phial on a little wooden rack with some others. "Clearly my understanding of the intended usage of the device was lacking." He looked from one woman to the other. "You are here for your own examinations," he stated, rather than asking.

Shaina sighed and glanced at Raine briefly. "Well it was Pollux's idea. She's probably braver than me so I'll let her go first."

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2014, 21:12 

"Ah, I can imagine that being quite amusing." Raine chuckled lightly, "Why do I get the feeling that not one of your crew managed to blend in for even a few moments?" she added, severely underestimating both Syn's ability to fit in with aristocracy and Jayge's ability to look good in a dress. This was, at least, understandable.

"Ooo, I dunno. That display right there might just have shaken even my unwavering bravado." said the Tyran woman, pretending to back away, a look of faux fear holding her face for just a few moments before a wide grin broke through again. "I don't mind going first, if you don't mind sticking with what you know." She said with a tone that was both more serious, and more friendly, than previous. "You'll need some preparation for my... uh...samples, mind. Much like my wit, most of the substances produced by my body are deadly."

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2014, 21:31 
Administrator

Cassius appeared to ponder this only briefly. "If most of the substances produced by your body are, in fact, deadly--then how is it that you stand before me know very much far removed from a state of deceasement?"

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2014, 21:35 

Raine scowled for a split second, then returned to her smile.

"I'm just that badass." She responded, hands on her hips. "So, should I pull up a chair or are you going to poke holes in my humour all day?"

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2014, 21:47 
Administrator

"Badass," Cassius repeated, unfamiliar with the term. "Of course." He blinked and went to retrieve his note-taking utensils. "You may make use of any seat convenient to you, however I recommend use of the end of one of the examination beds. Remove your shirt before we begin."

Shaina snapped her head around. "Remove her shirt? Why?"

Cassius snapped more paper under the clipboard's clasp. "Removal of the garment provides direct contact, removing one more variable which I would otherwise be necessitated to accommodate and remove from any raw data I may acquire. Given I am working with all unknown entities, any one could deduce why removing such a variable beforehand would be a wise course of action."

Shaina placed her hands on her hips. "Well I think you might just be trying to get in your kicks."

Cassius took the opportunity to return the flat expression from earlier. "I do not care what you think. And frankly if you are under the impression that you are allowing anything other than a rash and grossly ignorant assumption of personality facets to cloud your logic, you are foolish. How many effective practitioners of medicine are you aware of that never behold the bodies of those to whom they attend?"

Shaina took a breath to respond but just huffed instead, crossing her arms across her chest and accepting the defeat.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2014, 21:58 

Raine had nodded, and started making her way to the nearest examination bed that would suffice, then she froze a moment. Only for a moment.

"Just remember what I told you about my body being deadly." she said icily over her shoulder as she stepped back into stride, seating herself on the edge of the bed and removing her jacket, folding it deftly and placing it on the bed beside her. She looked up at Cassius, trying not to look as defiant as she felt, "You'll lose more than a hand if you don't behave."

She took a deep breath and straightened out again, stretching as she had earlier, though with her hands on her knees this time. She had been expecting something like this would have to happen during this examination anyways, and she didn't really have anything to hide. She was, after all, quiet proud of her Tyran heritage and by extension, her body. But still, something about Cassius made her uncomfortable about this. Also Shaina, though not so much. She let out the breath she realised she had been holding for a moment too long, and the upper portion of her bodysuit began to melt away into her skin, baring her torso. It took a fair deal of concentration not to cover herself with her arms out of self-conciousness.

"Do get a move on, I'm a little chilly." She lied.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2014, 22:18 
Administrator

"Chilly? Curious notation, as I have been told you could survive in the frigid vacuum outside. Perhaps I have been misinformed." Cassius placed a hand on her back and began his magical probing of her interior, while feeling for her nervous system. "Breath deeply and steadily. If you are possessed of the ability of modulating your internal processes, render them an unconscious norm."

Shaina watched sceptically, but didn't interrupt the process. "So...you're doing what exactly?"

Cassius stopped for a minute with a confused expression, looking at Shaina before writing down some quick notes. "Succinctly? Utilising pulses of magical energies to gain a perception of her interior anatomy."

Shaina observed the elf's confusion with discrete interest. "Uh-huh. So it's an MRI. Magical Resonance Imaging."

Cassius had replaced his hands--both hands--on Raine and seemed to be feeling all over her torso for something. Anything. "Resonance is not involved. Be quiet." Shaina frowned at the command but acquiesced, again.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2014, 22:23 

Raine nodded lightly and controlled her breathing, forcing herself to relax. She couldn't help cracking a slightly smile at Shaina's observation, however.

"Hey there, you lost or something?" She asked after a few moments of Cassius' more mobile probing had caused her a little more discomfort than she was happy with. She pulled her arms a little closer to her sides as she asked. "I mean, I know I'm smooth as all hell, but no need to make a big deal over it."

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2014, 22:29 
Administrator

"Are you aware you have no centralised regulatory organ? Or dedicated oxygen exchange organs? Or continuous digestive tract?" Cassius awkwardly pulled away as his desperate search for anything that resembled classical anatomy became visually mistakable for groping, and cleared his throat. "For the least satisfaction--which interestingly made it the most--Syndra's inflammable anatomy was explainable through naturally occurring magical organ function. Your anatomy has nothing but several oft redundant omnipurpose organs. You should not be alive."

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2014, 22:39 

Raine shied away a little from Cassius' last attempt at searching, finally getting just a little too uncomfortable with the situation, though the feeling passed rather quickly.

"Syndra? Pfft. I always forget that's his actual name." She half-snorted, forgetting herself for a moment. She gathered her thoughts with a brief cough before crossing her arms over her chest and addressing the matter at hand. "By your standards, perhaps. We Tyrans are able to freely manipulate our physiology, and we've been perfecting it for over half a century. Essential life-functions are handled by a set of multi-purpose organ-structures, complete with a redundant 'back-up' for safety's sake, and everything else is grown as needed. No need to lose your head over efficiency."

She frowned for a moment, then changed tact.

"May I?" she asked, nodding down at herself, "Or have you not had your fill yet?" she added with an edge.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2014, 22:42 
Administrator

Cassius dismissed her with a condescending handwave. "Do what you will. Should I assume you can..." he gestured uncertainly. It sounded silly. "Remove part of your self? Such a thing would be infinitely more helpful than a carrier sampling."

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2014, 23:15 

Too relieved to worry about it being obvious, Raine stretched out again as she stood up from the end of the bed, her bodysuit reforming over her skin, this time covering her down to the elbow and up to her jaw, where before it had more resembled a tank-top. She picked up her jacket as she turned to face Cassius again.

"You need a souvenir? How charming." She folder her arms, draping the jacket over one forearm, much more casually this time. "I suppose I can manage that."

She held up her free hand, palm up, and relaxed her wrist. The skin around the base of her hand hardened and began to project a thick, bone-like protrusion, which continued to grow until it was about the size of a fist a little larger than hers, at which point it disconnected cleanly from her skin and fell into her hand. She held it up, offering it to Cassius.

"It's a false-organ, has practically everything a body needs to get by, but no real functionality. It will feed out of water with something nutritious in it though, kind've like a cactus." She explained. It was warm to the touch, and the surface was covered in small ridges of natural chitin through which a faint pulsing could be felt. "It should regenerate any samples you take from it as well, if you're not too greedy." she added with a teasing smile. It was rather awkward to think about this act of literally giving a piece of herself to somebody, though she supposed it meant a lot less to her than it might have to some other species. "If you look after it, I might give you one with basic motor functions." She added, her smile turning more genuine as the thought amused her. Perhaps she should cultivate a small brood of Rippers to keep her company here? They would certainly keep things interesting.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2014, 23:56 
Administrator

Cassius accepted the false-organ gingerly, as if he wasn't certain he actually wanted to touch it. "Fascinating indeed." He went over to his samples table and after looking around simply placed the organ beside the phials and took the top sheet off his clipboard after looking at it with a disappointed sigh. Shaina was sitting on the edge of the bed where Raine had been as he wandered back over. "Remove your shirt and we will begin." He repeated the phrase with a growing sense of tedium. This wasn't exactly the fun part of his new job so far, regardless of what the others might think of his preferences. Cassius had always seen himself as a connoisseur of women--not a hedonist. There was a refinement to it. Running your libido at the wrong time was just...wrong. And besides, there were other pleasures in life, even if he was to be classified as a hedonist.

Shaina brushed the direction off. "I'll send you all the data on the mats so you can sort them out accurately."

Cassius's demeanour stiffened. "It...does not work in that manner."

Shaina fidgeted uncomfortably. "Well can't you just...I don't know, run a deeper scan?"

"There is no matter of depth involved in this scenario."

"Just try; I mean if you can differentiate organs from blood and muscles from fat surely you can tell what's material and not."

Cassius would have admitted that maybe he could but he really didn't like being wrong and making mistakes so he wasn't going to try, but at this point he was getting a bit vexed. "No. I cannot."

"I'm not taking it off."

Cassius tucked his clipboard under an arm and sighed deeply as he rubbed the bridge of his nose and shut his eyes for a few seconds of blissful escape. "You are aware that your commanding officer explicitly stated that this would happen in some manner in a reasonable amount of time."

"He's not my commanding officer beyond what the ship roster and some company's paperwork says. If I do what M says it's because M's pretty good at co-ordinating and working with people, not because he's always right and not because he's my boss."

Cassius held up a quivering hand in frustration, "Why must you be so insubordinate? So...needlessly incongruous?!"

Shaina's expression darkened considerably. "Shut up Cassius. It's not like you're in such a great position to say that you know." She looked around the room, at the equipment and at Raine and pretty much anywhere not at Cassius as she ground her teeth for a moment. "This outfit is...fitted special, okay?"

"And...?"

"And I changed quick and I was expecting to be working on a ship all day and definitely not expecting to be here right now." Cassius stared at her blankly. "I'm not wearing anything underneath," she said bluntly.

Cassius held up both hands in exasperation. "There is a privacy screen. It is not as if I have not seen breasts before! Nimfsbaki." He stood back and gestured to the replicator at the far end of the room. "Woudl you be at all relieved if you retrieved something to mind to your decency, dressed yourself as you pleased and then allowed this to be concluded as quickly as possible?"

Shaina again looked around the room like a moping, scolded child, before pushing herself off the bed and heading for the replicator. "Fine. I guess."

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2014, 00:03 

"Oh, oh, make sure it's something pretty." Raine chimed in, trying to lighten the mood. "Can't hurt to look your best, after all."

She could somewhat sympathise with Cassius here. Though she didn't know him very much at all, he didn't strike her as the type to be doing this kind of thing for the enjoyment. In fact, the opposite seemed to be the case. She didn't really know what to say about the matter however, and so resolved to simply try and keep things cheerful. It was the least she could do, after all.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2014, 00:20 
Administrator

A couple minutes and a simple sports-bra (well, structurally simple--in keeping with Raine's advice it was a green to match her goat with a pair of diagonal yellow stripes across the side) behind the screen later, a grumbly Shaina was sitting with a scowling expression as Cassius masseured his way on a tour across her anatomy. It's the sort of sentence that one never wants to take out of context.

"Binary cardiovascular system, now that is fascinating," Cassius noted, making notes about the four beat rhythm before continuing.

"Yeah, I guess. Fluke of the regeneration system. You can always tell when somebody's newly loomed and in their first iteration if they still only have one heart."

Cassius's brow furrowed. "Are you concerned over the fact that you seem to have no reproductive organs?"

Shaina sighed again. "They're vestigial. Pythia beat you there by a couple of forevers ago."

Cassius stopped his examination and latched onto his clipboard again. "Pythia?"

"Some Gallifreyan historical figure from a time that's been looped over. Irrevocably sterilised the species. We reproduce by looming. It randomises Gallifreyan genetics from a pool and produces a new individual from it. Sometimes if a pair of Time Lords are involved and they're into the whole having kids thing, if there's room in the population they can choose to restrict the pool from which a new individual is loomed; to just their two, for example. It's sort of like having a child, I guess." Shaina pulled her shirt on without asking if Cassius was finished. "You have a needle to finish this off or what?"

Cassius finished scribbling down a few notes before hurrying to complete the blood sampling. Shaina made a face at the needleprick, but didn't bother waiting on him to heal the point of entry before pulling on her coat and gloves again from where she'd casually dropped them in a pile on the other end of the bed.

"We're leaving now, Cass." Shaina announced, pointing Raine authoritatively out the door. Cassius merely rolled his eyes to look at the departing duo.

"Tree's blessing."

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2014, 00:25 

"Alright." Raine nodded, a little surprised at the authority in Shaina's declaration. She must had enjoyed that even less than Raine had. She complied happily. "Seeya around Cassius, treat the little guy well, won't you?" She said as she turned for the door and left.

[Begin timeskip for Raine and Shaina; in the Secondary Hangar afterward]

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2014, 16:18 

Medals: 1
L Award (1)
[Richard from Kitchen]

Shortly after they pair left, The diminutive Richard entered from the opposite side of the Med Bay Wearing what appeared to be a hospital gown."

"Hey there pointy, Is the doctor in?"

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2014, 22:36 
Administrator

Cassius stood from where he had bent over staring intently at the false organ, looking over his shoulder as he reached for his pencil and paper.

"For you, Richard, I am always present. I do not suppose you had any particular method of inspection in mind already, did you?"

PostPosted: 01 May 2014, 00:05 

L Award (1)
"Honestly, it's pretty much irrelevant. I am what I am because my body pretty much heals it's self automatically. I actually have to purposely keep from reverting to my full grown self while I'm in this safety mode, since I'd otherwise heal myself to death. And at any rate, till I revert back to my standard form, I'm not really a medical case. While my full grown form has a fully replicated human anatomy, Gall bladder and all, this form is just a construct through and through. I have to heal it consciously, but pretty much it's a doll I'm controlling while I gather energy. Mostly I'm here because i'd rather not get a visit from El Capitan, in case he checks the visitor logs." Richard replied, walking over to a Medical table and getting on top of it so the height disparity wasn't quite as significant.

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 01 May 2014, 00:41 
Administrator

"I do not suppose you also are in some manner capable of creating a self-sustained separate construct?" Cassius indicated Raine's false-organ again. "Regardless of what redundancies you may have in place, there is always the possibility of something untoward transpiring. I do not believe manipulating your energy fields would be difficult for one of my abilities and skill."

PostPosted: 02 May 2014, 03:59 

L Award (1)
"Yeah, that's not a worrisome thing to hear at all. 'I can probably manipulate the substance your body is made of with little effort'. That aside, hypothetically yes, though it's usually not a good idea for me to leave constructs lying around for too long. Because of how my magic works, I'm basically putting myself into them. Left alone for too long a period they sort of become sentient with their drive being based on my intentions when I created them. I learned the hard way never to leave a weapon lying around, Since I usually make those when I intend to do violence. I have no idea what might happen if I make one with the intent to be studied upon. Not to mention making an eventually sentient thing just so it can be studied, then eventually reabsorbing it, since I really don't have the energy to make the fragment to start with seems cruel. Like Having a Kid to do a science experiment. It'd be easier and more ethical if you just did Some tests with me in the room." The diminutive Redhead stated pacing about the bed.

Formerly Avalon

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 301 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next