All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 301 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Medical Bay
PostPosted: 15 Mar 2014, 17:23 
Administrator

Medals: 20
Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
"Acquire a copy of their inventory list as you do so; it will save me a great deal of my valuable time," Cassius instructed as he transferred the blood sample, labelling it neatly.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2014, 19:20 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Newcomer (1) Most Serious (1) The Merger Contest (1)
[From the Kitchen, via the Corridors and his own Room]

Timothy entered the Medical Bay perhaps two or three Minutes after Keris's Examination was concluded with a few Phials of rather curious-looking Liquids in one of his Hands. He approached Cassius directly and said, 'If you are not busy, I've Time now for the Examination,' and here he presented the Phials, which were full of various Things labelled in a Script that looked vaguely Arabesque, but revealed itself to be probably a descendant of something like the Roman or Greek Alphabet on further Inspection; 'I've brought some Fluid Samples —' he indicated each Phial in Turn '— Spittle, Stomach Acid, Nervous Fluid, Bile, Water, and Blood.' The last one was a dark, purple-red Liquid. He rather wondered what the green Substance in the Phial that Cassius was holding was, but thought it possibly impolite to ask.

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2014, 20:50 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Cassius's head snapped up, mildly startled at the unexpectedly quiet approach of the behemoth Timothy, but he accepted the proffered collection positively. "My, you are...certainly thorough. I daresay I should not venture into the realm of inquiry broaching how you acquired your own stomach and...nervous fluids. To what reason shall I attribute your eager self-collection and subsequent offering? You are not attempting to falsify your medical records, I presume--that would indubitably be foolishness of the greatest magnitude." But he presently caught up with himself and motioned somewhat hesitantly the bed Keris had occupied not long before, wondering if it was actually wise to put Tim's mass upon it.

"Please remove your upper garments. There is a privacy screen if desired."

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2014, 21:08 
Veteran

'I thought that collecting such Liquids now might spare the Trouble of doing it later, though I don't suppose they're all that interesting, and they aren't the easiest Things to extract,' Timothy answered; he then took a Step back and laid his Cap and the Wrapping around his Hair, which expanded rather visibly once it was unrestrained, onto the Bed before he made Magic to fetch his upper Clothing off of himself, which he shook out and deposited with his other Things. He was rather hairy underneath, but had no visible Scars or Tattooing, and was of more-or-less uniform Paleness. He pressed down rather gingerly on the Bed before seating himself on it, next to his Things; it appeared to hold him well enough, though he was wary of moving too much.

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2014, 23:12 
Administrator

"How thoughtful," Cassius remarked drily, placing the samples aside and, after a moment of considering how best to situate himself, leaned onto the bed to place his hand. "Explain why that is so," he instructed simply, holding the hand and closing his eyes quite intensely for a few moments before withdrawing it. "You may replace your clothing, we are done with the physical examination."

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2014, 10:05 
Veteran

'Perhaps there are different Methods in this World, but I always had Samples taken on my own by a Form of magical Osmosis, which is, oddly, easiest when you do it yourself,' Timothy answered.

When Cassius told him that the Examination was done, he said 'I trust there is nothing too badly amiss inside?' before redressing and rearranging his Hair and Cap.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2014, 12:21 
Administrator

Cassius didn't look up from scribbling on his hand dandy clipboard. "In the self-serving honesty of a medical perspective: I have not the slightest inclination. You are resistant to my examination techniques." He looked at the clipboard again as if he expected to keep writing, but seeing as there was precious little he could at the moment, he set it simply aside. "One hopes, neigh, desires that what impressively comprehensive samples you have taking the initiative to provide are both accurate and sufficient to prepare one for your medical care--but perhaps in the most ideal course of events the point will be rendered inconsequential, yes?"

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2014, 14:07 
Veteran

'Resistant to you Examination Techniques?' Timothy asked. 'How is that possible? You seem to use something very like what I call Magic in this Language, or ['tʲiɛ̯v.ə] in my own, and, since a medical Examination is nowise hostile, my own attempts no Interference.'

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2014, 15:33 
Administrator

Cassius gave an arrogantly knowing little smirk and turned to select the phial of blood Timothy had earlier delivered. "I believe that no matter the hypothesis proposed one will unerringly discover the answer here." Cassius held the phial up to the light to see the burgundy colour more clearly, then blinked a few times and made a face before putting it down in a hurry. "Ahhm" he cleared his throat, "you are walking banedeath, my over-generously proportioned acquaintance. I've no doubt that somewhere in these facilities now found at my disposal there is some technological alternative to discovering the state of your anatomy; I am not in a state of familiarity so much as near to allowing me to make use of such an alternative however, so I fear I must inform you of the likelihood of a, ah, follow up appointment."

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2014, 15:43 
Veteran

'And what is Banedeath? And how does Blood produce it?' Timothy asked; he had some Trouble getting his Mouth around the Word, and his Mind about his Blood inhibiting the Magic of another. 'It's merely Water, Proteins, Minerals — mostly Element seventy-five, which is what makes it that Colour, if Memory serves — and some other Things likely contained in your own.'

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2014, 16:32 
Administrator

"Banedeath, banedead, magically defunct. Call it what you will. Some thing which deadens the bane--withering, twisting and rending it till it is simply...no more. I would not deign to pass judgement upon what traits of your sanguinary chemistry cause it to be, though knowledge may be forthcoming upon examination of the minerals, proteins and, ah, 'Element Seventy-Five' contained within, hm?

"Whatsoever the case I shall inform you when you are needed once more. Do not let me detain you."

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2014, 17:08 
Veteran

Timothy had had his Fill of Word Salads and Words he was fairly certain were being misused for the Moment, so he nodded and said, 'Very well, good Day, then,' before nodding politely and taking his Leave. He had only a hazy Idea of the technological Development of the World from which Cassius had come, and gathered that he had overestimated it greatly since Cassius did not appear to know the Elements of higher Number without common Names. He made various mental Notes to research 'Bane', 'Banedeath', and how it had Connexion to Magic later.

[To Elsewhere.]

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2014, 11:05 

Medals: 4
Best Artist (2) Absentee (2)
[From elsewhere]

Syn approached the medbay just as Timothy was leaving, though the giant had already turned the other way, and was headed in another direction entirely. He thought about calling out, he had his PAD in hand, and needed to reclaim his cylinder at some point, but figured that it could wait just a little longer. For now, Syn decided to get the medical examination out of the way. That would, at least, be entertaining. He walked a little slower, until Timothy was out of sight, and entered the medbay.

"So then Doctor, time for my... physical?" He asked in an impressive impersonation of one initiated in humanity's oldest profession. He dropped the act almost immediately though, he doubted that Cassius would find it amusing in the slightest, and there was nobody else around to entertain. "How goes the your in-depth study into xenobiology? I trust you've had some interesting revelations already." He stepped into the medbay proper, looking about before fixing his attention on Cassius. He seemed to be making himself at home here already, given the screen and the labelling of vials. Syn approved.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2014, 15:24 
Administrator

"Please Mister Syn, you have not the figure for such. Nor the uterus." Cassius began to motion at the bed recently vacated by Timothy but thought better and instead directed Syn to the one beside it. "And even beyond the observation of those present what pass for a crew I have seen such wonderous things that could be remarked upon, yes." Cassius said with genuine enthusiasm, holding up the phial with M's blood in it and handing it to Syn to examine for himself before also picking up Keris and Tim's. "It's a veritable rainbow of oxide carriers! He took the phials back and replaced them in the wooden holder.

"Remove your shirt please. I am, naturally, more than slightly inclined to a zealous and healthy curiosity as to your own; but ever moreso you exude a magical aura comparable to my own and Mister Chartier's, with external indicators beign so much more subdued." He eyed Syn's hair with a smirk. "To a given degree."

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2014, 15:38 

"How do you know I don't have a uterus, and say what about my figure?" Syn remarked, an eyebrow half cocked as he stepped towards the bed indicated, taking the vial on the way. "Just be careful with anything you get from Raine, it'll most likely be acidic. Oh, and don't expose any of my samples to open-air unless you dearly want to part with your eyebrows." He chuckled slightly under his breath as he sat down and looked at the vial more closely, holding it up to the light and looking from it to Keris' sample, then to Timothy's.

"How interesting, you're certainly piquing my curiosity in the others as well." he grinned, showing a smile comprised of sharper teeth than should have been possible for a human, though it was gone a scant moment later. He held the vial out for Cassius to reclaim M's sample, then once it was free of his hand, his shirt burst into flame and disappeared, along with the bands along his arms and his glove. He waited a moment for Cassius' reaction, then shrugged, as nonchalantly as he could possibly manage. "I save a lot on my retail expenses, but it's my little secret." He added with a very obvious wink. "But seriously, don't even get me started on the colour of my hair dude. You can blame dear father for that one, even modern technology can't dye it out."

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2014, 16:08 
Administrator

"Fascinating indeed," Cassius smiled in return. He didn't have any sinfully pointed teeth, but his smile certainly suggested them to the mind's eye as easily if he similarly did. He placed his hands as he had been for the examinations and began, noting the curiously hot centre of Syn's body that seemed to fade away quickly toward the extremities. And yet more interestingly...

Cassius's brow did an interesting dance, trying to settle itself between perplexity and positive excitement. "How you even live is a miracle no short of the Tree's sap itself," the elf exclaimed breathily. He stopped his magical pinging of Syn's interior to lean forward and look the Emberkin in the face. "You did not think to mention you are, excusing the poetic allusions, literally lacking a heart? Well you have the organ but it does not seem to be performing its function in the expected manner..." He removed his hands and placed some fingers on Syn's neck, feeling for a pulse. "It is just so hot there! Your blood flow by convection, does it?"

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2014, 16:33 

"Calling me heartless, pretty boy? But we've only just met." Syn frowned, pouting a little, before letting out a chuckle. "It's convection through the liquids, conduction through the solids... I think. I don't need oxygen so much as I need heat." He shrugged again, genuinely this time. "I'm half undead, half demon, all badass. The only thing that anyone's ever been able to say for sure about my anatomy is that it's just plain weird, but pretty cool."

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2014, 16:40 
Administrator

Cassius paused at mention of the word 'cool', but ultimately decided it was a positive affirmation to the tune of 'badass'. "I am inclined to concur." He pulled away and went for another needle and syringe, looking around for something to cap the receiving phial with so as to heed Syn's advice about air contact. He resorted to returning to the replicator for the necessary part before returning and making some notes.

"Granted my knowledge and scope is quite limited but to my eyes you look very much to be in a state of living. Please explain?"

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2014, 17:08 

"Well, I'm sure you've heard stories of ghosts and ghouls and the surpernatural that lives, but is quite firmly dead, right?" Syn asked, a little curious about Cassius' culture, but not wanting to pry and bring up a whole host of bad feelings. "If you've not heard of them before, Vampires are one manner of these that gets by on drinking the blood of the living. In my case most of my body works the same way as a regular, living human's does, except that I don't generate my own blood supply, so I have to take it from other living beings to get my body going. That's where the fangs come in." He gave a broad, open smile to show off a set of thin, needle-like teeth that hinged down into place from the roof of his mouth, fitting snugly between his canines and incisors. They folded away again and he closed his mouth. "Haven't had to use them in years though. Well, decades I guess... I don't think it'd be a case of centuries, would it?"

Syn took a moment to think, then noticed the syringe.

"I do hope that thing can take a high temperature, I don't want any melted metal in my arm."

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2014, 17:14 
Administrator

Cassius looked at the needle, then Syn, then Syn's arm and back to the needle.

"How high a temperature?"

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2014, 17:23 

"I'll cool myself a little, don't worry about it." Syn sighed, he wouldn't have been able to give a very helpful answer in any case. "I think the usual temperature of my blood stream is somewhere above 150 degrees centigrade, but it varies the further from my, well, core, it gets. My hands are usually pretty warm, but they're nothing compared to my chest, for example." While he was talking, he lowered his internal temperature significantly, down to about the same point as that of a regular human's. He gave a brief shudder.

"Best take the sample quickly, I'm too drained to do this forever." He said with the slightest hint of displeasure, he didn't like being cold.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2014, 21:31 
Administrator

Cassius smugly jabbed the needle in quickly, pulled back on the plunger and slipped it out again, running some fingers over the wound to heal it up, all faster than was strictly safe. "Need not fret, done already. Warm yourself, please." Cassius held the syringe up to the lights in the room and flicked it, watching the tiny ripples through the browny-orange tinted but mostly clear liquid. It looked like a lot of human plasma without much of any carrier, but Cassius suspected it was simply a case of extreme dilution by other components. He hummed contentedly and went about transferring the liquid to its closed phial.

"I feel it is no small matter your referencing demonic heritage. You will pardon my doubts, but your flesh such as it is lacks a certain..." he finished the transfer and carefully carried the empty syringe to the waste disposal. "...immunity to inflammation, shall we say it in that manner."

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2014, 21:59 

Syn wasted no time in raising his body temperature again, sighing and relaxing visibly as he hit, and the surpassed for just a few moment, his typical temperature, easing back into his norm.

"You mean that I don't seem fireproof? Well, I guess I'm not. But then that only helps me." Thinking on it, Syn figured that it would probably be quite an issue if he were, in fact, immune to fire. "See, my body feeds on light and heat as its primary source of sustenance." As if to prove the point, he held his arm left arm out, away from Cassius and the rest of the room, and his hand lit up with a fwumph, engulfed in a small flame. He was careful not to have it burn too hot, so as not to alert the fire alarms that were probably functioning again, but despite this there was still enough heat for Cassius to feel it, and enough heat that Syn's arm should, by all rights, be injured. "One of my greatest talents is my healing, so yeah, the fire is burning my skin, but the heat from the fire is feeding my regeneration enough that I could keep this up for days without any serious or permanent injury." Syn's eyes were burning as well, or at least appeared to be, just over the surface of his iris'. "I've got a few more tricks I can do with this, but I'll leave those out for now. Gotta save some exposition for later, after all."

He closed his hand and the fire extinguished itself around his arm, as did the fires over his eyes.

"So, are we all wrapped up here, Doctor?" He asked, mock-coyly, gauging Cassius' reaction to his humour.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2014, 22:03 
Administrator

Cassius watched with a passive, thoughtful stance and expression. "No, not quite." He went over to the replicator and summoned a piece of charcoal, bringing it over to Syn and twisting the man's torso around with firmly placed hands on the shoulder so he could start drawing on his back. He paused once or twice, and when satisfied tossed the little nub of charcoal gently in the air, catching it after it spun a few times and came back down.

"Repeat your previous action."

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2014, 16:22 

Syn couldn't help but cock an eyebrow at this, though he found it more bemusing than weird, so he let Cassius reposition him without protest and sat patiently while he drew.

"I don't suppose a reference about sketching French females would have any relevance to you, eh?" He asked when Cassius was done. He complied, however, without pause, holding out his left arm again and sparking a fire across the surface of his skin.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 301 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next