All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 301 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Medical Bay
PostPosted: 18 Apr 2011, 17:07 

Medals: 4
Best Artist (2) Absentee (2)
The Medical Bay is a fairly spacious room, consisting of a large section where twelve beds were lined against the walls, a sealed storage facility that probably opened up into a room just as large as this one, and an 'operating area' or sorts, pretty much just an old dentist's chair set up in the middle of some empty space with a couple of tables next to it and an excessively large lamp hung from the ceiling above.

In its prime this facility was at least kept clean, if not maintained quite so well as it should have been, but now it was almost an absolute shambles, several of the beds were overturned if not wrecked entirely, the walls were torn and broken, and various medical supplies littered the floor. The phrase 'Don't walk towards the light!' was etched into the side wall, where the chair was facing, though whether this was put in place before or after whatever calamity destroyed this place was impossible to tell.

As someone who really enjoys contractions: It's what it's.

Also I make games sometimes!

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2011, 17:13 

[From the Hangar via the Corridors]

Syn shunted open the twisted door with his shoulder, very nearly falling through after it when it gave way, hitting the floor with a resounding clang.

"Well, this place is as lively as ever." He chuckled, dusting himself off and stepping inside. "Lets get a bed cleared so we can take a better look at the little lady." he said as he moved towards one of the more intact beds, and pulled it away from the wall, moving it into the rough centre of the room, causing yet more noise as the metal legs of the bed dragged and scraped against the floor. He then moved to a cabinet near the still-intact storage room doors and began searching for something, eventually stepping back with a couple of vacuum packed packages containing clean sheets for the beds, taking them to the bed, tearing them open and replacing the singed and dirtied ones already there with the new ones with surprising efficiency. Anyone watching would think that he'd been doing this for years.

"There we go, the others should catch up soon." Syn affirmed, gesturing for Keris to set Rythen down on the bed.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2011, 04:11 
Dino

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
[From the Hangar via the Corridors]

Keris placed her charge down on the newly prepared bed and looked around the room for signs of useable technology, then back at Syn.

"What is in there?" she asked, indicating the doors through which Syn had emerged with the sheet. "We need a medical tricorder."

Even before he had answered she was already assuming there wouldn't be one. She placed the rifle down on the floor beside the bed and began a manual examination of the patient. There was no sign of any fractures. She hadn't really expected any, but the woman had been thrown around a bit with the changes in gravity; she could have suffered additional injuries in the process. It was a good thing too - with the way she'd been carried around, any damaged bones could easily have been displaced, possibly causing further injury. There was also no obvious sign of internal bleeding. However, her pupils were dilated and her heartbeat was irregular - both cause for considerable concern.

"The head and the heart are damaged," she reported when her assessment was complete, "I have no medical training, but where I have come from Lectrazine - twenty milligrams - is used often to ...help... a heart problem like this one. I believe that it is also useful for other species.We also need a..." (what was the word? She had learnt a lot of Standard vocabulary relevant to life on board a ship, including medical terminology. Ah yes!...) "...cortical stimulator. Go and search. And bring another ...sheet... - you people seem ...concerned... because she has no clothes. We will cover her."

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2011, 05:00 

"A tricorder? Don't think we've got that kinda tech around here.." Syn answered, though he didn't really need to as Keris immediately began inspecting Rythen. He listened carefully to what the Romulan said they'd need, counting them on his fingers. "Right, so Lectrazine, cortical whatever, and a sheet. Not entirely sure we'll have those first two either, but it's worth a look."

He shrugged, and moved off to the cabinet again, looking through for anything he might have missed, then taking out another packed sheet and tossing it over to the ground near Rythen's bed. He then stepped across to the still sealed door that led to the storage room, and began trying to force it open, with little result. The handle and the area around it buckled from the strain of Syn's pulling, but the door itself didn't move.

"...Now that ain't right...must be jammed pretty tight. Bet someone left gum in the locks again.." the Emberkin sighed, checking the wall around the door closely, then stepping back. "Think you can check what's going on behind the mystery door here? I'd rather not cut my way into an open vacuum." he asked over his shoulder.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2011, 05:39 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
While Syn was struggling with the sealed door, Keris picked up the package that Syn tossed in her direction and opened it up. She finished spreading the sheet over Rythen's still form just as he requested a scan of the area beyond the door. Unhooking her tricorder from her belt once again, she crossed the room to join him, and held the device up towards the apparently sealed door.

"Hmm..." she muttered. "The door is neither thick nor very strong. It was not made for the outer hull. There are electronic ...pieces... in there. I believe that it has been locked, but I see no current. It is ...dead."

She adjusted a few settings and read the result once again.

"There is an atmosphere on the other side. It is similar to the one in here. I see no life forms. I see metal alloys and other inorganic and organic material. Nothing is moving. I believe that things are stored in there." She turned to Syn. "Let us see what they are."

With that, she drew her disruptor and fired at the locking mechanism. The already buckled metal disintegrated, revealing a jumble of now burnt out and melted circuits. Replacing her disruptor, she inserted the fingers of both hands into the cavity and heaved. Slowly and with much creaking, the door slid open.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2011, 09:30 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
[From the Corridors]

M poked his head in the door from around the corner and spied Keris hauling open the door. He leaned back and called to the others in his group, who were checking out two other doors farther down the corridor, "There are people here."

Shaina responded first, being the next closest, poking her own head in comically before striding into the Med Bay with attempted triumph. "Yep, it's them," she called out to Richard and Raine, who were following. Speaking to Keris and Syn next, "Sorry we're late. Richard got lost." She spied Romana-Rythen on the table and walked over to her as M stood quietly off to one side and inspected the room, which, even if it were in order, seemed completely inadequately equipped.

Perhaps the previous owners had taken supplies and equipment with them. Seemed logical if they were abandoning ship by force and had a trip ahead of them, with no medical facilities on whatever ship they were escaping on. Or perhaps the supplies and equipment had been stolen, looted or salvaged. Plenty of possibilities.

Shaina looked up from Romana-Rythen at Keris and Syn, "So Jayge isn't with you either. Does anyone know where he went? At this point I'd appreciate being able to say 'I told you so' about not getting anyone with sufficient medical expertise aboard."

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2011, 10:55 

Medals: 1
L Award (1)
"I sort of figured Sirriax ate him or something, but I suppose conservation of matter makes that a distinct impossibility. Dark Lord of the Sith number three ninety-two didn't seem too much bigger than he should be, and I don't think the force allows you to break that law. So While it dawns on our chief science officer that Jayge really wasn't as good at hide and seek as she's giving him credit for, how about we trade stories." Richard said, walking over to a chair and plopping down.

"I'll go last. I think Syn can agree that I've got a bit more history to mentally work through than the rest of you. Well, the Huntress can go last. She can keep sleeping."

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2011, 11:00 

"Sorry, I don't know where he went either...but Sirriax did say something long-winded about messing with dimensions, maybe he actually stole the captain away?" Syn offered as a suggestion, while helping Keris with the door. "Oh, and welcome back, by the wa-...Why is there a Tyranid aboard?" he asked as Raine stepped around the corner. "And female to boot? Wait..you don't know Zetta do ya? 'Cus I swear I was going to call her back." he actually seemed a little threatened by the presence of the woman.

"..Yeah, it's him." Raine scoffed, unimpressed. "You still owe my Father a job, I'm sure you still remember Urza, don't you?"

"Ah..well, about that..." Syn stammered, "I've..gotta go look for some medical stuff, I'll get back to you in a moment." he said as he ducked quickly into the storage room.

"Why on earth do you have someone like that on your crew?" Raine asked, not caring whether or not Syn was out of earshot.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2011, 14:13 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Shaina sat in the dentist-like chair as Syn and Raine reacquainted, and upon noticing the writing on the opposite facing wall got up again, and turned over one of the tables beside Romana-Rythen. She pushed herself up onto as Raine proposed her question.

"Uh-uh, not how it's going to work. Last person here tell their story first. That means You, then..." She looked about suddenly before sighing heavily out of irritation at seeing the tallish blond man had disappeared. "Right, we should probably go check the fuel tanks again, we lost someone in transit. Probably finishing the job." She dropped back to the floor to leave.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2011, 18:37 

L Award (1)
"I don't think that will be necessary. Jayge seems to have been absconded with, and if Blondie wanted to be found, he'd probably be here. He has an eerie way of knowing where people are. Unless he's fighting Sirriax, which I imagine he would have when he first showed up were he going to do it at all." Richard said, tossing energy cards into an energy hat. "Though I suppose I should figure out where the rest of my outfit fell if we do go there."

"But that can be handled later. For now we have three issues. Information, injuries, and and making sure the ship doesn't fall apart while we're in it. The Hangar being compromised is a bad sign."

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2011, 18:56 

"If the hangar, and the Intrepid, are out of commission, then our only method of travel from here on is this rather large and battered tin can." Came Syn's voice as he strode out from the storage room, his arms laden with a mess of wires, little devices, and boxes of various medicines. "Oh, I forgot exactly what it was I went in there for, so I just grabbed a handful of the least-damaged stuff...seems that everything that wasn't tied down in there was thrown about something fierce while Mrs.Happy-Spanner here was fiddling with gravity earlier."

He skipped past Shaina rather quickly, to avoid the expected outburst of physical violence, then knelt to put his hoard down on the floor next to Rythen's bed.

"Anything here we can use? If not, well, someone better-qualified should take a look for something more appropriate." he said matter-of-factly while separating out the different boxes and medical giblets.

Raine looked as though she had been about to say something, more than likely something derogatory aimed at Syn, however she glanced at Shaina and thought better of it. Perhaps it wasn't the best of ideas to knock off members of this crew while trying to ask for their help in finding this 'Jayge' person.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2011, 19:51 
Administrator

Shaina stopped moving at Richard's comment and was about to object, but instead looked around for a moment as Syn dropped his load and suggested someone better qualified take a jab at the task at hand.

Nobody volunteered.

"Seriously," she said, slowly, "I can tell if a microbe's ready to kill or help me, pretty much, but playing doctor is not a pokémon in my PC."

M spoke up softly but firmly, struggling with the terminology as he stepped farther into the room from near the door. "I have some health information, but I do not know this technology or the species she is."

Shaina brushed past him, not impolitely, but in her normal, preoccupied manner. It was the natural "I'm smarter and more competent than you" timelord that came out in her. Coming to Romana-Rythen's table, she lifted up the sheet discreetly to examine her body.

"She looks human enough on the outside, but does anybody actually know what species she is? Homo sapien? Homo felinus? Crunchy taco with a delicious meaty-cheesy interior?" Shaina replace the sheet and dropped into a squat to examine the load of assorted mostly-crap that Syn had returned, eventually pulling out what looked like a hypospray labelled Epinephrine. "We could always try this and hope the full load doesn't kill her." She shook her head, very flustered, "If I at least had some equipment I could tell what's wrong with her, but unless she's a cyborg," she paused and drew her sonic spanner out of her pocket and flashed it at Romana before nodding kurtly and replacing it, "She isn't, by the way. The spanner's not going to do anything much good. All I've got to go with here are my eyes. I wouldn't dare crawl inside her head either. Not until I know who she is.

"Any harm in just letting her wake up on her own?"

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2011, 20:09 

L Award (1)
"Well, phazon poisoning and electric burns, but those tend to manifest themselves as silvery veins and heavy burn marks. It's likeliest that she's been overstressed by the whole being a cat thing." Replied Richard. "And I understand Chozo warriors tend to have strong mental defenses, so I wouldn't recommend and mind delving, no. I suppose I could heal her, but I've got to go elsewhere for supplies, and she'll still be weak. Healing sort of isn't my forte."

He looked around the room. "Any objections? It'll be a shorter trip if I go myself. And it might not work."

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2011, 20:14 
Administrator

Shaina didn't really follow Richard's word dropping, though it was clear he also, unsurprisingly, knew Romana from before. Before she was a cat, apparently.

At one point or another, even a Time Lady has to give up.

"Sure Richard, do your thing. Maybe if you can do that we can at least ask if she knows a bit about her physiology and administer a part of this," she held up the adrenaline hypospray again. "Then, nothing is distracting us any longer--we're going build a campfire and tell stories."

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2011, 20:18 

L Award (1)
"Right then. I'm off. have fun while I'm away kids. Maybe catch up, tell a few stories, Remember how you all met? that was fun..." Richard continued to talk as he walked out the door.

[to Bar]

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2011, 20:36 

"I love how we all know he's just going to go and get more drunk, but nobody's going to do a damned thing about it~" Syn chimed in. "Perhaps he's right though, now would be as good a time to swap stories as any...though I suspect you'd need him here for a good portion of it..."

"..You people have got to be the weirdest group of..people, I've ever met in my life." Raine found herself muttering. "No offence meant, I mean, whatever works for you and all, but still."

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2011, 21:05 
Administrator

Shaina looked at Raine flatly.

"My previous statement still stands. You're going first. One of us can always fill Richard in later. Explain now."

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2011, 21:29 

"Alright then." Raine sighed, hands once again on her hips. "May as well do this properly then.." she closed her eyes, and with a short, controlled breath her 'armour' began melting away, leaving the young woman standing about a foot or so shorter (now she was a little shorter than Shaina), and wearing little more than a plain black bodysuit, and a small service pack across the back of a loose belt.

"I'm Raine Ashera, daughter of Urza Crescell, who captains the Leviathan class liveship Tiamat. I doubt you're very interested in my primary genus and such, so I'll skip that. I'm here on a mission given to me by my Father, that is, in his words, to 'Go to the Hunter's Realm and find someone, you'll know who it is when you meet them, couldn't miss him for the world'. Seeing as the Prowler I was assigned bought me straight here on instructions straight from our navigation-Zoan, I'm going to assume that this is the right place, and from what I hear about this 'Jayge' person, I'm going to assume that he's the guy I'm looking for. I wasn't told what to do after I'd found him, only that it was urgent I find him quickly...I suppose you'll have to make of that whatever you will." she paused and took a deeper breath, before looking around and asking "Any questions then, or is my turn with the story-stick over?"

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2011, 21:36 
Administrator

Surprisingly, it wasn't Shaina making a rude retort to speak next, but rather M. Well, not with a rude retort, but you get the idea.

"'Crescell'? 'Leviathan'? 'Prowler'? Are you with the Peacekeepers?" M's voice betrayed something very close to excitement--his entire time in this space and he had yet found one person to reference any of these things in the proper context, let alone more than one at once.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2011, 21:48 

"Uh...Peacekeepers? I'm sorry, I don't know any...group by that name." Raine answered, a little taken aback by the pale man's sudden excitement. "And Father certainly isn't a member.. Though I'm pretty certain you'll not find anything like our Leviathans anywhere else, they're living space vessels that dwarf even the largest of the human capitol ships, and as for Prowlers...well, you saw mine yourself when it landed in the hangar, nearly took out your own ship in doing so, as I recall...I meant to say sorry about that, younger Prowlers aren't very good at acting under pressure like that.."

At the very least, she did seem very apologetic..

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2011, 21:53 
Administrator

M mentally dismissed the Prowler comment in his excitement, some of which did manage to peek out from his chill demeanour.

"Yes, Leviathans--they are alive and older males...easy are as big as Peacekeeper Command Carriers." His eyes implored Raine for some sign of recognition, though his face was still steady. From the side, an interested Shaina reserved comment for the moment, noting how excellent a poker player this M would be if this is the face he kept even when his voice sounded so eager.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2011, 22:01 

"..." Raine's brow furrowed a little, she didn't like something about this. "I...don't think we're talking about the same Leviathans here...though the thought of another similar creature existing somewhere is an interesting one. Tyranid Leviathans are, like most true Tyranids, genderless. They're constructs, created, bred, and engineered to be perfect for their purpose...and honestly, I've never heard of these 'Peacekeepers' you're looking for, they certainly don't exist within the Bryn Mae sector, nor any other our fleet has been to, that I know of...who are they?" She asked at last, a little concerned. Maybe these 'Peacekeepers' were something new. She'd never seen anyone quite like this M person before either, so it seemed obvious that he was simply from a galaxy she'd and the Crescell Fleet had never seen before, where there would probably be other entities like the Imperium, or Galactic Federation. If they were substantial enough a force to pose a threat then, she would have to report this back to Urza when she returned..

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2011, 22:47 
Administrator

Shaina chose now to interrupt. It was Keris all over again.

"Honestly, if there was no Terran Cinematography course at the Academy, I don't know how anyone on board would be getting by at the moment." She took M by the arm and lead him over to stand next to Keris, "I'll explain this again, since dear Keris was the only one about at the time, right? Right. So you," she motioned to M, "are not from this space. You've obviously figured this out already. Good job, you. But you're also not from this universe. Simply put, your universe is, from other universes' perspective, fictional. As Richard pointed out with legitimate logic before, the whole 'fictional' thing is pretty relative. I'm willing to bet my universe is 'fictional' in both yours, yours," she pointed to Keris, and then spun about on her heel to point at both Syn and Raine, "and both of your universes."

M hesitated for a moment before responding, "How do you know?"

Shaina turned back to M with a mildly puzzled look, "What do you mean?"

M explained further, "How do you know our home spaces are not separated by big distances, not from other universes?"

Shaina stumbled with her words, not very accustomed to being challenged on a point she spoke with authority about, "W-well because I have heard of your Leviathans and Prowlers before. And her Romulan Star Empire," she gestured to Keris again with a nod of her head, "Where I come from they were popular entertainment. If they were simply separated by large distances, how would that naturally occur? It doesn't make sense."

"It makes the same sense different universes does." M replied.

Shaina made a funny sound with her lips, irritated, "Urgh, but you don't understand, if it existed in my universe my people would have found it. all of time and space. All of it. That's where we roamed. We just would have."

"Spacetime has no end."

Shaina glared at him with vexed respect. "Fine. A wizard did it. The end. But before you go on: you don't speak English very well, do you? How can you understand us so easily?" she caught herself before M could reply, "Farscape means translator microbes, right. But that's unidirectional and nobody else here have them, do they?"

M nodded. "It is hard."

Shaina bit her bottom lip in thought and looked at M, then Keris, then back to M. She addressed both of them when she spoke next. "If you two plan on being here any length of time, I can help fix that problem. But I'm not going to do it at all unless I know we'll have to be working together for an extended period of time. Why are either of you here at all? You plan on going on your merry way now? If you aren't, or can't, we will be spending a good bit of time together I imagine. If what Syn said is true," she motioned her head back to Syn, "then our ship is not going to be flying out of here any time soon, and we will have to try to steer this heap to somewhere we can get off and start over, I guess."

M nodded again and explained himself. "I have a good ship. It is small. I was in the asteroid field--found this ship earlier but with no people aboard then--when you powered the ship. I have nowhere go and no friends. I am...good to help you and start over too."

Shaina nodded sagaciously. "Just out of curiosity, why were you on board this ship earlier?"

"My last try to find navigational maps. There was fuel leak that looked dangerous. I closed it and went away."

Shaina stroked an imaginary beard, thinking of the phazon theft they had just effectively prevented not so long ago. It could imaginably be a fuel source for this ship. Would explain why it was hidden away and why it was being stolen. Then again, it could simply be cargo. That would also explain both.

In either case, she looked to Keris for a response.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2011, 06:00 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Keris realised Shaina was expecting her to say something. To be honest, she wasn't sure how to reply. If the chance arose to go home, she was sure she'd take it, but at present she had no idea whether that possibility would ever arise. She didn't know what had caused the temporal anomaly that had sucked her into this universe, so there was no way of knowing whether any kind of portal back to her own universe would ever appear. Finally, somewhat hesitantly, she spoke.

"You know that I want to find a ...door... back to my universe. But I know no way home. My ship is also ...broken. I have no warp drive, no ..." she struggled once again to recall the terminology that she had memorised but never had to use "...navigation computer, no communication. I cannot go anywhere. I hoped that I could repair my ship when I came here, but I think that I will not find useful ... things... here. I think that it will be best if I stay with you."

She paused a moment, and then continued: "I can work the helm of most types of ships in my universe. I can probably work this one. I also know a little amount of engineering. If I understood correctly, Syn said that we must travel in this ship. I can help."

Another pause, as a sudden thought occurred to her.

"I also have a ...suit for space. It is in the air lock where my ship is. I can go to your Intrepid if you want it.......... Or you can do it."

She made the last suggestion somewhat reluctantly. She wasn't keen on the idea of leaving her environmental suit in the hands of someone else. If anything happened to it, she'd be stuck with no way of accessing her shuttle.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2011, 07:48 
Administrator

"If your ship's broken, then yeah, you're pretty much stuck with us--don't bother with the rest. So far as I know, nobody's gone back. But then, how would I know? They would have gone back." She pondered for half a moment before abruptly dismissing the thought. "Anywho, you first," she indicated M, "Then you," looking at Keris, "Let's just go over to the far side of the room."

M obliged--not that there were any other obvious options, as Shaina had taken hold of his sleeve and was gently pulling him along behind her. She made to right another fallen medical table, and M helped her before she indicated he sit. He did so, and she pushed herself up to sit beside him, but made sure she turned to face him.

"Right, this is a psychic experience, and it's only going to take a second. Microt. Whatever. And don't worry, I won't be snooping." She spread her fingers and placed them on M's temples. Almost true to her word, she didn't take more than a few seconds before she let go.

"Ok. That's it. Shouldn't have any problem speaking or reading any language now. Well I take that back; most languages. But if I can hear enough of one, it can be learned pretty easily anyway."

M looked profoundly confused, "But you're speaking Nebari."

"No, you only think I'm speaking Nebari. You're speaking English. I patched you into the TARDIS network is all. It handles the tricky stuff. Don't think on it too hard. I don't really feel like explaining it all that much at the moment, but just consider your language barriers lowered. Run along now, I have another patient." She made a "scoot along now" motion with her hand and then motioned for Keris to take his seat.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 301 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next