All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: The Secondary Hangar
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2013, 20:15 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Newcomer (1) Most Serious (1) The Merger Contest (1)
'No, I don't suppose there were,' Timothy answered, and he was already looking about the Room, though he was not entirely certain of the Purpose of some of its Contents. There was a Door that looked somehow distortive, and which appeared to lead to an odd Manufactory of some Kind which looked somehow mismatched to the Realm itself. There was a Sheet of some Variety of unidentified Metal not quite protruding from them.

'Well, what is this Project of yours?'

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2013, 20:17 
Administrator

Medals: 20
Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
Shaina smiled for the first time around Timothy, though it was still a bit subdued. She liked it when people asked her what she was doing, whether she admitted it or not. "You want to see it?"

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2013, 20:20 
Veteran

Timothy saw Shaina smile, which unnerved him a little because he was yet to see her do it, and wondered if it did not mean she was imagining something he would not like; it would be better to know the bizarre Thing she was doing than not know it, however, so he answered, 'I suppose it couldn't do any Harm.'

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2013, 20:41 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Shaina did a sort of flourish-y bow and swept her arms over to the chalky mess of scribbles, diagrams, figures and terms all over the floor behind them and to the side, which were now interspersed with about a dozen of the tripods. "Watch your step, wouldn't want to smudge any of the diagrams--oh wait!" she pulled out her sonic and spun it around, then used it to activate the tripods, which flashed to life. A three dimensional, blue-tinged, translucent hologram of a ship instantly appeared, surrounded by all the figures and diagram images and icons and notes, floating like a million readable dustmotes connected by hair-thin threads to their indicated positions.

The ship itself was bigger than the Ehni, but bore a passing resemblance, most notably in regards to the semi-circlue, bladelike "wings" attached to the rear sides. Unlike the Ehni though, the main part of the craft was a good deal longer--possibly twice so--and wider near the rear before stepping inwards near the cockpit, which looked far more rounded and sleeker than the Ehni's, with a broad, open viewport in the shape of a T. The top of the craft was a rounded slope as well, that began with the round upward slope of the cockpit and peaked somewhere in the front third of the vessel; it was a bit tricky to tell where exactly as the slope was not steep at all.

Shaina glowed at the over-the-top reveal. "Who cares about chalk drawings?! We work in style here. What do you think? Keris and M are...down a ship each, so I figured I'd at least put the parts to good use. Most of Keris's shuttle's bow and cockpit are still in pretty greatshape--some work still needed of course--and is pretty ideal for a general purpose vessel. Especially if I keep most of the interfaces and consoles and controls and crap already in there. Very adaptable. The-co-pilot's seat I've got set up or using M's weapons systems though, if I can salvage them. The hull, I figure, will probably be made from a lot of recycled material from the Ehni that's no good for anything else, since it's...it's really impressive material. I've just had the MatFab try replicating it, and I think it did the job. It's a sort of..." Shaina made rattled her hands, thinking, "Carbon-crystal structured adamantine alloy." She omitted admitting her suspicion that this is probably what enabled it to actually survive the crash. And the fact she wasn't exactly certain why the "carbon-crystal structure" alloy bent and crumpled rather than shattered or simply snapped.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2013, 20:51 
Veteran

'So you're splicing together Vessels like what they do to Plants in Cressonbury, is it?' Timothy asked. 'I'm not really an Engineer, but if you've all the Pieces — and I do mean all, though a few Atoms should not matter — I can, hypothetically-speaking, return inanimate Objects to former States; such a complex Apparatus, however, in a bad State of Disrepair, may well be beyond my Capacity to restore.'

Here, he paused a Moment, and then asked, 'What is that Place beyond the Doors; I do not believe, from the Look of it, it is a Part of this Vessel;' and he gestured towards the Interior of the Tardis.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2013, 21:02 
Administrator

Shaina's smile decreased. "That...is the MatFab. Materials Fabrication Unit. It's in my TARDIS. You'll need to get things it makes from time to time, but they'll be delivered to fore, so you'll never need to go much further than just inside the threshold." She paused, a bit uncertain of how to proceed as Timothy surveyed things with an analytical eye. She decided to just push ahead. "Thing is, um, I can't really build a space ship all by myself. There are some repulsor cargo sleds around to help move the big heavy things, but, well...I'm small. I need some help," she confessed quietly. "But I don't expect you to know how to build all this stuff, so I've hard the TARDIS break down a lot of the stuff really simply. There are still tonnes of stuff I'll have to do, of course, but if you could help with some of the, um, grunt work, I'd really appreciate it." She looked at him imploringly for a moment before adding. "If there's anythign you don't understand you can just..." she bounced over to one of the notes threaded away from a bulkhead and poked at it with a finger. It expanded in a drop-down motion to reveal a new section of information, "you can just do that for an explanation. Or you can ask me. And I know it's still a lot, so I'm getting more help too. You'll like it, I promise. If you don't have anything better to do, you could get started right away while I work on getting that other set of hands up and kicking. Or you know, if you do have something to do, you could always go do that and come back. Or whatever. I'm flexible."

She did her best to give big doe-y eyes without looking like she was trying to give big doe-y eyes. She was a bit on edge, since she didn't know if Timothy would actually be willing to help her or not, given their headbutting. But if he did, she knew he'd like the surprise she still had in store. She could spring it on him while he was working if he hung around.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2013, 21:09 
Veteran

'And what, exactly, is a Tarrdess?' Timothy asked, and he found pronouncing the 'r' at the End of the Syllable rather laborious; he really had nothing better to do than prod a Weapon he did not really understand, and he thought it might be good to see what mechanical Knowledge he could extract from helping to construct the unsightly Lump of Metal Shaina had shown him by her odd phantasmal Projection.

'I suppose I can help you, but I shall want something else from you later in Exchange,' he said.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2013, 21:21 
Administrator

"Time And Relative Dimensions In Space. Suffice to say, it is both my home and dangerous, and you shouldn't really mess with it much." She was about to exhale mightily and thank Timothy profusely until he finished his sentence. "You want to like...in-debt me? For what? Why?"

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2013, 21:24 
Veteran

'I have something you need, and you have something I want,' Timothy answered. 'You can only expect my Altruism to extend so far, and I don't believe the Account will be difficult to Settle, from what I've seen of the Workings of this World. This beside, I've already given you two Things, though you might perhaps not have made Note of them; for the Third, I believe I've ample Justification in asking something in Return.'

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2013, 21:35 
Administrator

Shaina's face grew suspicious. "Altruism? A one for one trade is fair, but why would you ask for a return on something I never asked for?" She boxed her own ears lightly with the palms of her hands in frustration. Make it work, make it work. "Can't we just...work together as friends?"

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2013, 21:49 
Veteran

'Well, the second Thing, I suppose we can forget, but I cannot gather you wished to die (and you would likely have remedied that Matter long ago if you had); and I'm not entirely certain we're Friends yet — I hardly know you,' Timothy answered. 'But yes, once the Work is concluded, I will tell you what I want, and you shall give it; if you do not, I can undo it far more easily than you might like to imagine,' and here he pulled a Leaf of Paper from nowhere which seemed to have something like Writing on it, but the Script was indecipherable, and then he put it into one Pocket, took out another, and made it disappear.

'Sending little Notes like this through Time to myself is not difficult at all, if nothing else. It might interest you to know the Result of an Experiment I did once: I planned to send a Glass Paperweight to myself, but, after I received it from my Self to be, I smashed the Original; that which was sent became a Candlestick instead. I later sent the Candlestick to myself, of course, but I know that, somewhere, the Paperweight was sent, but it was easily changed.'

The Account of the Experiment was not delivered maliciously — Timothy's Tone, rather, shifted to something like that of a Professor who is too taken in by his own Lecture he likes the Subject so very well. He returned to himself shortly thereafter, however, and asked, 'Do you accept my Terms, Miss Shaina?'

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2013, 21:57 
Administrator

"Don't patronise me--I've been dicking around with time for longer than you've been alive. Self-resolving loops are a simpler matter than the absolution of non Euclidean topography within two-dimensional fabrics for me at this point." She put her hands on her hips again, staring down the giant man.

"Listen here: you sounded a lot like me, 'we arent' friends we hardly know each other,' and I'm choosing to take that as a point of common ground. But if I do something for you 'in return,'" she broke her stance to punctuate that last statement with air quotes, "it's because I want to. I won't take this ridiculous contractual jibber-jabber. I'll give you my friendship--and everything that entails--if you give me yours. Will you accept those terms Mister Chartier? I'm tryin' here, I really am. But I'm not going to be someone I'm not."

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2013, 22:04 
Veteran

'And what does your Friendship entail?' Timothy asked — the Emphasis being more curious than anything else; he was not really certain what the Surfeit of useless-sounding Words meant, but he supposed it a Cassian Affectation, and so paid it little Mind.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2013, 22:13 
Administrator

Shaina's eye twitched a little bit and she gave a staggering little inhale and exhale. "It entails everything friendship should entail. It means you do things for me and I do things for you regardless of whether it is 'safe' or 'worthwhile' and it means we tolerate one another and even try to be nice to one another. Maybe even attempt to like each other. If I have to explain more than that I'm not certain you could really understand. But I expect you do.

"Look," she said, then paused, "We're alone out here. We don't have anyone or anything to turn to. This?" She motioned all around her, " the Realm? It's home now. And I don't know about you, but I'm tired of everything it touches trying to kill or at least inconvenience me. Now do you want to help me with this and ignore that we've just wasted five minutes and perfectly good air, or should I give up and get Raine?"

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2013, 22:19 
Veteran

Timothy chuckled a little and said, 'I suppose I accept, then; I noted that we might have rather different Ideas of how Things ought to work, so you cannot grudge me wishing to be sure, and I think I've learnt some other Things as well. Now were would you like to begin with this Ship-Building?'

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2013, 22:28 
Administrator

Setting the Mood: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4anpiZjfR-s

Shaina nodded slowly, tried to smile, but only managed to look a little shaken at the sudden breaking of tension. "Good. That's good then." She relaxed her posture rather abruptly, looking to deflate a bit. "Well, we need to M's ship apart as best we can." She grabbed his shirt and pulled him over to a cart and box full of tools and "stuff".

"That's a seal-bolt remover; press it to the things holding the bulkheads and hull plates together and pull the trigger. Line it up nice. That," she pointed at something else, "...well that's basically a fancy screwdriver. It's not sonic though. Well, I mean, it makes noise but it's not a sonic--rgh," she waved dismissively, "you wouldn't get it anyway. And that over there is a hammer. And that's a crowbar. Stay away from anything that's hot or has a warning label on it or smells really bizarre. You'll know 'really bizarre if you smell it." She gestured with both hands to the tools and then at the crumpled husk of a ship at the far side of the hangar. "Have at it! If there's something you're afraid of breaking even more than is reasonable because it looks important and these tools aren't doing the job, move onto something else. And if you run out of things like that, let me know. Hopefully by then I'll have someone else here to help.

"I," she put a hand to her chest, "will be just in the next room in the TARDIS. Don't come in, just yell here at the threshold and I'll hear you. As soon as I'm done I will come help you. We good? Good." She did smile again, "This is gonna be awesome."

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2013, 22:42 
Veteran

Timothy rolled his Eyes at least once while Shaina was not looking — he knew very well what a Crowbar was, though he had seldom cause to use them. Everything smelled rather odd aboard the Realm, but he supposed Shaina meant that anything very foul-smelling likely ought to be avoided, and he was not terribly fond of foul-smelling Things regardless.

'I suppose all is well,' he said, and then he began looking over various Schematics before beginning to dismantle Things, but a final Thought occurred to him. 'Have you any Phials, Beakers, Flasks, or other Glassware of the Kind?'

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2013, 22:48 
Administrator

The Time Lady made a shrug with her face. "I guess so. Hang on." She entered the TARDIS through MatFab, and after being gone for a minute or two emerged with a double rack carrying case that was mostly open, and made of, surprisingly, wood. It contained all of the above mentioned containers and few more odd things, which really were actual glass. They tinkled and clanked slightly as Shaina struggled to carry the cumbersome and awkward thing, which was both large and obviously delicate.

"Just try not to dissolve or shatter anything that looks like it controls something else," she said as she cringed and set the case down at Timothy's feet. "As far as the hull and structure goes though, I mean, it's not hard to tell what's already broken from what isn't, so don't feel bad about breaking something already broken."

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2013, 23:03 
Veteran

Music for Working on Machines.

Timothy was quite surprised when Shaina emerged with everything for which she had asked, as well as other alchemical Instruments, though he said only, 'Thank you; I think I've everything I shall need;' and then went off to Work.

He consulted with one of the Schematics, and then made for the Ehni; it was exceptionally mangled, but he took up the Crow-Bar and began prising off a Way in. The Material of which it was made was quite strong, and he thought it would do him good to get proper Training-Gear from one of the Replicators — he could make himself quite a Deal stronger than he already was, he knew, but that was a Task for later. It took some Time — a little more than an Hour — before he was able to get inside; he was very cautious going about his Work, and referred often to the Schematics for fear he should break something, and, much to his disappointment, he found much of the Interior to be quite badly-damaged.

It was heavy Work, and so he paused here, made Magic to remove his Shirt, rang the Sweat from it to form a small Puddle on the Floor, and then distilled a small amount of Time from himself, and used it to return to his Room with some of the Glassware. Next, with his Bell, he returned to the Secondary Hangar with what Apparatus he had taken filled with rather vile-looking Liquids, in which he dissolved various Pieces of broken Components which the Pictures indicated were not of great Importance. He used Magic to further separate the dissolved Particles, but there were mineral Contents he could not identify directly. He wrote rather detailed Papers on what he knew, though the Scrawl in which he wrote them was hardly legible, and so it might take some Time to identify the Language.

He continued his Work once his Curiosity regarding mineral Composition was sated...

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2013, 19:02 
Administrator

Some time later, Shaina stuck her head out from the MatFab, decked with something resembling the preposterous hybridisation of a leather skull cap, Doc Emmet Brown's mindreading headgear and maybe a spectograph. But really small, of course.

"Tim! Help's ready!" She yelled across the hangar bay. "Or ready enough, I guess," she added to herself.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2013, 21:05 
Veteran

Timothy emerged from the Ehni, from which he had removed a visible Pile of very broken Material, and looked at Shaina, who looked to be wearing something rather ridiculous, and asked, 'What, exactly, is this Help?'

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2013, 21:59 
Administrator

"Exactly what it says on the tin." She paused and snickered briefly to herself. "On the tin. Heh." She stepped out more fully and unclasped the chin strap from her head device and started disconnecting electrodes from her head. "I think you're already acquainted, you just might not recognise her." She gestured to the source of a light clinking sound coming from the MatFab behind her. What emerged from behind her was more than skeletal, but far from complete, and shone all over of bright, newly fabricated or shaped metal, a clear, silver coloured one. Though clearly feminine, Shaina was well aware that unfinished like this, it may have looked positively demonic to someone like Timothy. She attempted to explain, though she expected him to grasp exactly zero if it.

"She's not done yet, obviously. She'll have a more, er, aesthetically pleasing exterior shell once the TARDIS deduces just the right materials to make it out of. At the moment though, she's perfectly operational. I actually didn't do much of the design work directly--just sort of chipped in here and there. The TARDIS took a personal interest, and so it did most of the work here. It started with a T-X Terminator model as a base, and then started modifying from there. It isn't a T-X model Terminator, I should note that. Anywho. I contributed all the vibranium from Dasah that the Realm collected after the disintegration, so she's not going anywhere easily, though it is not a pure metal--it's alloyed. Also made certain to include," she reached over and grabbed the cold, skeletal robotic arm and held it up so that Timothy, as he approached through the hologram from the Ehni could get a good look at her hand, "the sonic tech from my spanner." she tossed her spanner up in the air as she let go of the arm and let it spin a time or two till it came down ad she caught it again. "She got magic hands, see?

"Unfortunately, trying to cram that in, combined with some weapons protocols based on the Rydberg and a spare lightsabre I happened to have laying around and the vibranium alloyed infrastructure means no crazy cool mimetic polyalloy to allow her to shapeshift. Not that the TARDIS or I have figured out exactly how that works yet anyway. I've never even had a viable sample. But yeah..." it Shaina that she was rambling, and the droid was watching her silently with green-coloured pinpricks of light were the eyes would go. At the moment those green pinpricks were the only things in the empty orbitals. "Right, um, sorry. Tim, this is One. Not exactly the same, since a lot of myself went into redesigning her missing subroutines, and the TARDIS even moreso. To be honest, One," Shaina addressed the gynoid instead, looking up, since the machine was several inches taller than her, "you probably have a lot more in common with the TARDIS than me."

The droid nodded, and the hundred tiny carbon nanofibre threads--and improvement over the T-X design; barbaric pistons be damned--over her face and jaw worked unnaturally into what, presumably, was meant to be a smile if one imagined flesh over the face. "You're probably right about that," it said with an older, motherly sounding voice. She turned to Timothy. "Hello again, Mr Chartier. I would shake your hand, but somehow I don't think you'd enjoy that very much," she indicated the cold, hard, unfinished metal of her hand.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2013, 22:14 
Veteran

Timothy, upon emerging from his Work, was rather dishevelled looking: he had rolled up his Trouser Legs to his Knees, and the Shirt and Scarf had been thrown unceremoniously over a Piece of large Scrap, but he had done far more on the Ehni already than any ordinary Human could, and looked as though, sweaty and rather ripe though he was, he had been thoroughly enjoying himself.

'Ah, I'm delighted to see you in a much better Container — the last seemed rather badly damaged, and I don't imagine being stuffed within the Rectangle-Container was terribly agreeable,' Timothy answered; he did not look at all surprised, but he had seen One in a very badly broken State, and he was more intrigued with the Idea of a sapient Automaton than he was disgusted by the Uncanniness of her Appearance (and he also wanted to take a Mineral Sample of her, but he did not think that entirely polite, and so refrained from asking). 'I suppose I was mistaken to mistrust you with her, Miss Shaina, but my Mind was in a very bad State after the shock of being here, and then attacked by Dromeanthropes, and I'm hardly sure of what I remember of it all. Not myself at my Best, I can be sure.

'I imagine, regardless, that with two of us, this will all go much faster.'

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2013, 14:28 
Administrator

"Oh definitely," One replied brightly.

Shaina rolled her eyes but was happy. "Well I'm sure there won't be a problem about you stealing her brains back if I leave her with you then. I need to go find Raine, since she's the only one, I think, who can fly the only actually working ship we've got now," she indicated the Tyranid ship sitting silent and brooding like a wounded predator, isolated at the extreme end of the hangar. "We've got more than one ship to take apart. The second is already in many handy pieces though, isn't as mangled and should simply be easier anyway, so...yeah. But we need to haul it in here." Shaina strained to see over to the Ehni and let go a little whistle. "Jeez, you don't work half fast, do you?"

One nodded. "It's very impressive." She looked to Timothy, "If you'll let me get a working outfit I'll be with you shortly to start dismantling the more sophisticated systems. I don't want anything getting snagged or caught on or in me if I can help it."

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2013, 17:37 
Veteran

Timothy was not really pleased to hear Keris's Announcements because of how little the last foreign Party was to his liking, but he only said, 'Pardon me a Moment,' and disappeared off into one of his Time-Puddles; he reappeared three-tenths of a Second far cleaner, and also dressed quite differently — he was wearing what looked like a Kind of dated Soldier's Uniform consisting in a long, dark reddish-purple Coat, a rather unremarkable Cap, Trousers of an indeterminate muted Brown-Yellow tucked into the Boots he had been wearing, and Gloves in the same Material as the Boots.

He adjusted his Cap a Bit when he returned and said, 'I seldom wore Clothing like this at Home, but I had a Pattern for it devised for such an Occasion once I discovered how the Replicator worked. I thought it might be good to have something rather official-looking for such Occasions, but which is also entirely practical. It would not do do have Guests in the very dirty Things I was already wearing, if nothing else — have you any Idea of what they will want?'

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next