All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 331 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: The Corridors
PostPosted: 23 Oct 2013, 02:49 
Administrator

Medals: 20
Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
Cassius took this silently, simultaneously greatly concerned and greatly emboldened. "Given such a case...what happens at such a time that our current position is resolved, and there is no longer any reason to remain aboard this vessel?"

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2013, 03:11 

Medals: 1
L Award (1)
"No clue. I mean if we wind up some place fantastic that we can all split up, I suspect a few to still stay with the ship. It's not like they have anywhere else to go. And at any rate, I don't think I'll be leaving any time soon bar random circumstance pretty much stealing me away. I may not be in charge, but I am doing my best to look after the ship. Sortof a steward if you will. It'd be poor form to leave the old girl alone twice in a row." Richard said.

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2013, 21:52 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Cassius accepted the statement begrudgingly. "May I ask for what exactly you anticipate utilising these beans?"

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2013, 22:52 

Medals: 1
L Award (1)
"Pretty much just eating, but Beans are boring cold, and that kitchen obviously wasn't going to help us with that endeavor, so we'll have to get creative." Richard replied, suddenly stopping. "Cool, it looks like we're at the rooms. lets try this one." He finished, hopping up to open the door, then walking in.

[Richard to Syn's Room]

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2013, 05:01 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
[From Keris' Quarters]

Keris set off along the corridor, using the map to find her way to the spot that the PAD had identified as M's location. It appeared to be near the ship's outer hull but didn't take long to reach. She stopped in front of a door. There was nothing on the outside to identify it but this appeared to be the right place. She knocked.

"M, are you awake? It's Keris."

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2013, 10:56 
Administrator

M casually opened his eyes at the knock and sat up. There was a clock on the nightstand beside the bed--a rather standard affair--and he noticed he'd been sleeping for a little over an "hour". Should be more than enough. In any case, he felt refreshed. A life of Establishment military service and your brain was trained to hit that refreshing REM period and duck out again very quickly.

"I am now; please come in."

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2013, 12:34 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Keris touched the pad beside the door and it slid open. M was sitting on the bed in a position that suggested he might have been lying on it a moment earlier. The significance of the 'now' in his answer suddenly struck her.

"I apologise if I woke you," she began as she stepped inside and the door closed behind her. "I was wondering what Shaina had said to you about her plans for the Ehni and whether she had told you about my shuttle. What she has in mind seems a really ambitious project without the services of experienced ship-builders. She seems convinced she can do it, but I wondered what you thought... And if truth be told, I'm still angry about my ship and wanted to talk over what happened and what Shaina means to do with it."

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2013, 12:41 
Administrator

"Oh don't worry about it all," he said, stretching in a sinewy, catlike fashion. "It was more than enough. I--no, I wasn't aware Shaina had anything in store for the Ehni. Is she looking to repair it? Good luck to her if that's her goal." He stood and picked at his nasty Globe disguise clothes. "I'll have to drop by and see what's she's doing at some point. But in the meantime," he walked over to the room's replicator and examined it briefly before beginning to pick through option on the adjacent interface. He stopped for a moment to smile at Keris. "I would be more than happy to offer you some catharsis. What happened to your ship, exactly?"

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2013, 14:05 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
"You knew nothing at all about what Shaina's planning?" she responded in surprise?

Keris leant against the adjacent wall as she watched M studying the replicator's menu.

"I do advise you to talk to her then. Yes, she's planning to repair it if 'repair' is an adequate word. 'Redesign' might be a more apt term. She intends to cannibalise my shuttle and build one working ship out of the two.

"As for what happened to my ship..." Keris' voice took on a slightly harder edge and her face took on a scowl. "You know that it was severely damaged as it was drawn through the spacial anomaly, but it was still usable. Just. Many systems were down, including the warp drive and the nav computer, but the impulse engines still functioned, and so did life support, some sensor functions too. It might still have got us to safety in an emergency, or carried us down to a planet from orbit and back. And I hadn't given up hope that we might eventually find a sufficiently advanced planet where I might get replacement parts and be able to carry out some repairs.

"Until I went back there to replace my weapon and pick up some equipment. Those Dromes! They may have done a lot to fix up the Realm, but they certainly didn't fix up my shuttle! I was concerned that they might have managed to break in and steal the equipment I had stored in there. But that was all still safe and sound. It never occurred to me they'd steal parts of the ship itself! They started dismantling it! Parts of it were simply not there! They'd even cut off an entire nacelle and part of the wing it was attached to! And it's not like they'd taken them off and left them in the hangar; I looked around. There was no sign of them anywhere, and a nacelle isn't something you can hide easily. Not that it would help me much even if I found it. I'm pretty familiar with the engineering of that ship and could diagnose and fix most system problems, but I'm not a shipbuilder. And I'm not sure I'd even trust a professional in this universe to re-attach a nacelle on a ship whose design they're totally unfamiliar with - too many possibilities to connect something up wrongly, and you get a mismatch in an anti-matter containment field or its controls and the ship wouldn't last long - nor anyone on board.

"So that's it now. I'm left with no means of getting anywhere if anything should happen to our current little community. It's not so much the ship itself that I'm upset about as the fact that they've taken away my one little vestige of independence."

Keris' voice trailed off as she finished her final statement as she remembered who she was talking too.

"I'm sorry," she said in a somewhat contrite tone. "I'm being inconsiderate. Your position isn't very different from mine, and you have strong emotional ties too your ship too..."

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2013, 15:25 
Administrator

The replicator went about its assigned task of producing the new set of clothes M had requested--a light gray shirt, black synthleather jacket with several large square clips to optionall close it, rough, black leggings and shiny black jackboots--as M listened quietly. He stripped off his old clothes and pulled on the new pants and boots as Keris finished up.

"Definitely an ambitious project. I'll be really interested in seeing if she can make it happen," he pulled on the shirt and draped the jacket over an arm as he leaned against the wall. "I wouldn't worry about being inconsiderate. You're quite justified in your attitude. Independence is a highly valued thing, and I can definitely understand why it is. As for my ship...it's a ship." M smiled only slightly, without the usual sincerity he typically conveyed. "I can't repair it, but because of what happened to it we're still alive. It wouldn't help me getting upset over it. I would be glad if Shaina can make some use of it. I'd consider her perspective; she crashed it, and she's a very...particular purpose. she blames herself for lots of things beyond that too. I don't think it would be reaching to presume that maybe she thinks she's to blame for something happening to your ship too. Maybe, maybe not. Either way, maybe this her attempt at apologising or making things up to one or both us. If it is, you may have just ruined the surprise for me, I think."

He stopped to pick up the discarded clothes and tossed them in a nearby trash receptacle.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2013, 18:28 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
M's closing remark caught Keris by surprise. She hadn't ever considered that that might be Shaina's motivation.

She pushed herself back off the wall. Somehow, if she really had let slip something that she was supposed to have kept quiet about, leaning back in such a casual manner felt like she wasn't taking the matter seriously enough.

"Oh!" she exclaimed as she did so. "If that's the case I apologise. Please pretend you haven't heard anything then."

She tried to recall whether Shaina had said anything about keeping quiet. She was sure she hadn't, but now that M had raised it, the idea of it being an attempt to make it up to him for the problems she had caused did make quite a lot of sense - that coupled with the fact that they were currently pretty much trapped on the realm until someone managed to acquire either a functioning craft capable of landing or a transporter system.

"Nice outfit, by the way. Trying to copy your old one, I take it," she added, as she stepped further into the room.

"I know Shaina's some kind of genius with technology, and that TARDIS of hers seems to have all sorts of strange abilities, but do you reckon she really can manage to build a ship around the Ehni and parts of my shuttle? Knowing how to is one thing, but having the manufacturing capability is another thing entirely - it's not like she can simply weld two different ships together and expect it to work. I gave her the go-ahead to use whatever she thought might be useful from my shuttle - I'd much rather it got used for something that could help all of us than sat around uselessly in a hangar - but I can't help fearing that it might yet end up as scrap if she pulls it all apart and still can't get her new pet project working.

"For that matter, has anyone had any brainwaves about how to get us closer to civilisation while I've been out of the loop? If we have to wait for Shaina to build a starship we could be stuck here a long time."

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2013, 18:32 
Administrator

"Like the old one, but...I don't know. Less like a uniform, you know?" He put the jacket on and motioned for the door. "Surprised nobody else has at this point. Let's head to the bridge and send a distress signal. Despite earlier trepidation, I really doubt there's anything to worry about. If anybody hears us at all."

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2013, 18:39 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
"You're probably right, but if we're going to do that, I'd at least like to make sure we're as ready as we can be for a worst-case scenario. I've been reading up about the ship's defences. Should be possible to check on their status from the bridge. We should make sure each of us is armed too - just in case."

[To the Bridge with M]

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2013, 18:44 
Administrator

M picked up his holster and belted it back on, also retrieving the assault rifle he'd taken from the Drome. "Preparedness abides by perfection," he quoted.

[To the Bridge]

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2013, 14:29 

Medals: 4
Best Artist (2) Absentee (2)
Raine was wandering at this point. She didn't quite know what to do with herself. Part of her, admittedly quite a large part, wanted to gather what food she could and take it to her ship, the little guy was still hibernating though, and waking him up from that to offer a paltry meal, with no guarantee of even enough to start the regenerative process, let alone keep him fed afterwards, seemed cruel to her. Another part of her wanted to try and find a place to call home on this ship, but then she figured that she may as well just use her ship once he was up and running again. It would feel weird to her if she just set herself up temporarily in a room only to vacate later. Tyrans typically adapted their environments to suit them using modular biomachines grown from their own bodies, and again, she didn't want to waste the resources of the ship on something that would only be temporary. So for now she wandered. She didn't know much of the ship's layout, so she supposed that it would do her good to learn by exploring.

After a few minutes, her Pad buzzed. She looked at it to find a message.

Hello, this is Caulder. I believe that we have a few things to discuss concerning our options regarding the Realm, and about Jayge. If you would like to pursue these topics then please come and find me at your earlier convenience.

"He sure knows how to get my attention at least." She said to herself, looking blankly at the Pad. She decided to take him up on the offer, as she had nothing better to do, and headed towards his locaiton on the Pad.

[to Caulder's Quarters]

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2014, 21:37 
Administrator

[Shaina from Elsewhere on the ship--ultimately from the Bridge]

Shaina almost ran face-first into Raine as she stepped around a corner, coming up short just in time to avoid comedy hour.

"Oh, hi, hey, sorry Raine." The Time Lady rubbed at a scuff mark she'd left on the metal floor with the toe of her boot. "I didn't know you'd left the mess--I was just on my way to see you. Where you headed? Mind if I walk and talk?"

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2014, 09:52 

[Raine from the Kitchen]

Raine stepped back as well, she'd reacted a little more quickly than the impending Time Lady, but not by much. She really had to start paying more attention aboard this ship, she thought to herself.

"Uh, sure?" Raine responded without thinking, Shaina really had caught her off guard. "I'm-, I'm headed to the med-bay, figured that I may as well get this health-check over with. I certainly wouldn't mind company on the way. Are you heading there as well?" She asked, once again reminded that she really didn't know much about anyone here. It would be good to change that, she thought.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2014, 13:48 
Administrator

"Oh," Shaina said with a slight expression of mild irritation. "I wasn't. I guess I have to do that too. M doesn't seem like he's going to let it slide." She fell in stride with the Tyran woman easily, being about the same height. "Didn't mean to catch you off guard like that. I just happened to check and saw you were in the kitchen; thought it my be a more relaxed time to catch up with you. I was kind of wondering about your ship. I started some work in that hangar earlier. One's still at it--I haven't had the chance to run back there and do stuff yet. My search team found a whole lot of crap in the ship core systems. And by crap I mean lots and lots of junk data mixed in with necessary runtime data. It doesn't seem to be affecting system performance, but it bothers me, especially since there's way more there than would be even if every system on the ship was left running full throttle for two decades abandoned. Sorry, I talk a lot. Um, right, your ship...

"I don't really know anything about your biotech, but she looked sort of...I dunno," Shaina gestured expansively, "Sick? Depressed? I don't want anything to happen to her, obviously, but admittedly I noticed because we had to sort of move her out of the way. I don't think the Ehni crashing into the hangar did her any favours."

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2014, 16:01 

"It's okay, really. People have been catching me off-guard for a while now, I guess I'm just distracted at the moment." Raine sighed, glancing away, though Shaina had already continued talking. "Don't worry about it, you at least have a lot of interesting things to say. Or... I'd imagine that they would be more interesting if I could follow half of them." she smiled a little, suppressing a little laugh.

"It's a he, actually, our fighter craft are all male." She added as a quick aside, barely even a correction, before continuing. "Yeah, he's hibernating at the moment, we ran out of, well, food, while we was searching for your ship earlier, The Intrepid, was it? He should be alright, though he'll be very, very hungry when he wakes up. I didn't want to take too much food from the ship's replicators just in case there was a limited supply, but... seeing as we're being helped out by these Lethain guys, do you think it'd be okay if I fed him now?" it was clear from her tone that she was quite concerned, almost anxious, about the state of her ship. She didn't seem to mind about it having been moved, though she had frowned a little noticeably when Shaina mentioned the crash. "He wasn't too injured by the Ehni was he? He's a hardy little guy, but we don't tend to use shield generators at all, and all of his defences would be down while he's resting..."

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2014, 22:28 
Administrator

Shaina made a funny face. "Well I couldn't even tell he was male. I mean...he doesn't have any huge gashes in his side or anything that I can tell. We can always head down there later if you want. We have plenty of power even if we weren't being assisted by the LethCorps, so I don't see any reason you couldn't indulge him. Honestly, I don't know exactly how bad his encounter with the Ehni was. I...wasn't particularly cognisant at the time."

The two walked quietly for a few moments, entering a lift. Shaina fidgeted a bit uncomfortably in the quiet. The opportunity to bring Raine down to the Secondary Hangar actually pleased her, and she'd planned on asking a bit further about the ship, but it felt a bit awkward and unnecessarily rude with the other woman clearly feeling less than stellar. Shaina was ruefully aware that tact was not precisely her forte. "So, uh...not distracted over anything too terrible, hopefully?"

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2014, 22:44 

"Oh good." Raine breathed out, visibly relieved. "I think I would like to check on him after this, yes." She added, nodding, then promptly ran out of things to say.

After a few moments in the elevator, Shaina's question made her a little wary.

"You've not been talking to Caulder, have you?" She asked, crossing her arms in front of her and shifting her weight a little, "Hm, I doubt it, he probably wouldn't share with anyone who wasn't directly involved. Though... how close are you to Jayge?" she asked, only now wondering just how much she could trust the people aboard this ship.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2014, 23:10 
Administrator

Shaina exhaled slowly and deeply, her shoulder slumping as the lift stopped and they exited. "He was more family than almost anybody I could tell you about, if that gives you an idea. I'd just got out of...just got out of some deep shit and he and Richard and Syn gave me my second chance at a better life. I couldn't get off the backwater rock I was marooned on until they came along, and he gave me a bunk on his ship if I could hold it together. I did that and made sure everybody got hot showers." She paused for a minute, not really certain how Raine herself knew Jayge, though she did know now, by Raine's own confession that the Tyran had apparently been after them, which was intriguing, since there was obviously no ill intent involved.

"Saying I really miss him isn't just unfair, it's a bold faced lie compared to how I actually feel. If that asshole sith monster killed him...well, I don't think people like that deserve having favours returned. Me and Richard and Syn'll have to give him something a whole lot worse." She lowered her voice. It wasn't a whisper, but it definitely had an air of conspiracy about its hushed tone. "I...guess you could say that's why I got things going in the hangar I was just talking about. I figured I owed M for trashing his ship, because it was all he had...but I was also hoping that if I gave him something bigger, badder and better, maybe he'd consider...you know, loaning it out for a good cause?" The Time Lady gestured around the corridor, up and down and all around. "The Realm is great. I mean she is...she is so awesome. And I'd love to find the stories she has stored away in every little gear and cog, but... I think what's really needed is something small, discrete, tough as a brick and murderously graceful. I don't plan on hanging around the Realm unless I get Jayge back to hang around too. I owe it to him. And if even if I didn't, I couldn't just let him go like that. Richard and Syn aren't saying anything about it, but I know it's gnawing at them too."

Shaina bobbed her head down and eyed Raine a bit submissively. "...why? What do you know? You were following the Intrepid?"

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2014, 23:53 

Raine was actually stunned silent for a moment. Longer than a moment. She had expected to hear some wartime-esque story of camaraderie, or some long string of witty, but caring humour aimed at his faults. The sheer intensity of Shaina's reply had struck the words right out of her mouth.

She did manage to compose herself before long though, she'd kick herself for letting it show later.

"I... I had no idea he was so important to you guys. I mean, I'd gathered that he was some kind of leader, and that he'd earned a great deal of respect, but wow. He must be a really great guy." She held quiet for another moment, struggling with her feelings on the matter, especially regarding Syn. Then she decided that if she was going to trust anyone with this, Shaina seemed to be the best bet. "I wasn't able to find the Intrepid, no. It was as if it had just vanished... I... I had a chat with Caulder, or rather, he talked at me for a while, and I got so angry at him about it that I wanted to kill him then and there. Did you know that there are, in a way, two Jayges? The one you know, who lived on the Intrepid, and another, older one?"

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2014, 23:58 
Administrator

Shaina's eyebrows arched in interest, letting the comments about the nature of the Intrepid's crew relationships go. "Noooo I didn't. He's a clone?"

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2014, 00:19 

"I don't think so. Not a clone, exactly." Raine had to think about this carefully now, but so long as Shaina hadn't known about this, then she really couldn't be in on it... she hoped. "The way Caulder explained it, I think that, your Jayge, the one from the Intrepid, is something like a piece, or a fragment, of the earlier Jayge, the one who had lived aboard this ship for a number of years alongside Syn, Richard, and Caulder, back before it was abandoned..." She trailed off here, having thought about the next part a little too much. She wasn't sure whether to be upset or angry about it, so she settled for both. "Apparently, I'm very much the same. A different 'fragment' of the original Jayge, and it turns out that Caulder, Syn and even my father are aiming to put these fragments back together as part of some grand, multi-decade scheme."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 331 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next