All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 331 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: The Corridors
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2013, 16:29 

Medals: 1
L Award (1)
Richard sighed. "Remind me to run a Popular Culture seminar later. Basically, it's a manipulation technique used in interogation. And it refers to ethics and morality not quality. Basically, one of you comes across threatening and angry, the other is sympathetic and calm. The idea is, they open up to the calm one out of partial fear of violence from the angry one. It's a fairly common technique across the galaxy, I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't just have different names for it... though it's also possible you just have aggressive enough cultures that torture is the norm."

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2013, 18:04 
Dino

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
"Threats to start with; torture if threats don't work; death if nothing works," Keris elucidated as they made their way down the corridor. "That's what I'm used to. If that's what you want for your 'bad cop' I'm sure I could provide it."

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2013, 22:28 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
M's faced wrinkled in apparent mild annoyance. "Seems rather barbaric. I mean, I certainly understand the concept and certainly there are going to be some parties that simply don't want to see reason, but..." he grappled with something mentally before giving up. "To be honest, I haven't given such a scenario much thought since I left the Establishment. Their protocol, in retrospect, falls to the opposite end of the spectrum of barbarism, I guess. First you request, then you help the suspect or perpetrator reason on the positive benefits of co-operating with the law, and if they remain obstinate, then their minds will be purged of rebellious and counterproductive behaviours. Generally their is a short term neurochemical and electrical combination application, pending a transfer to proper facilities and a complete mental cleansing.

"Obviously we don't have the means for such a tactic, and while still worthwhile in some respects, I'd say, I imagine the current makeshift crew wouldn't be enthused by the idea."

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2013, 00:11 

L Award (1)
"Well, the point of Good cop Bad cop is that the fear of the Bad cop certainly helps them see the reason of the proposition the Good cop presents. And there is certainly a benefit to helping us. It'll be a fair distance away from anyone it can generally call friend, and being stuck in a broom closet sounds like a boring way to spend your time. Assuming it remains calm and composed, it'll realize that, being in the same boat as we are, cohabitation is the best option."

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2013, 15:17 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
"Even if it appears to want to co-operate, I would not advise trusting it," Keris replied. "It might choose to appear compliant in order to lure us into a false sense of security and gain access to the ship. We should prepare a secure holding cell - whether that is a broom cupboard or one of the crew quarters - and keep it confined regardless of how it behaves when we wake it. An intelligent species should understand that it needs to prove its trustworthiness before being allowed any freedom."

She finished this admonition as the party reached the medical bay and Keris stuck out a hand to activate the doors, which immediately slid open with a quiet hiss.

[Keris, M and Richard to the Medical Bay]

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2013, 13:24 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
[From Seconday Hangar]

"Presumably the thing you wanted to talk to me about," Keris said to Shaina as the hangar door closed behind them. "Sure. Does it have anything to do with those diagrams you were drawing on the floor in there? You certainly seem to like to work on the grand scale."

Just like everything else to do with Shaina, she thought as she awaited Shaina's question. Nothing's ever small and insignificant when she's around.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2013, 13:33 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
"Ye-ess..." Shaina said, trepidatiously dragging the word into two syllables. "You came aboard without Richard, Jayge, Syn and I, and you didn't come with Raine or M. So you had to have your own ship. But you haven't left--and correct me if I'm wrong here since I'm not trying to be rude or anything--but this doesn't really seem to be your favourite kind of place. So your ship's broken? Or has it gone missing...?"

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2013, 14:42 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Keris' features momentarily hardened into an angry scowl as she spat out the first word, but she relaxed again as went on.

"Broken. I tried to explain back in the Med Bay after the fight with Sirriax when you had us all introduce ourselves. But that was before you linked M and myself with the TARDIS. My knowledge of Standard was somewhat inadequate and I probably didn't express myself very well. It was quite severely damaged during its passage through the anomaly - I think it only survived at all because it was small; I'm pretty sure the Warbird was crushed when the anomaly collapsed. It was flyable - just - but only on impulse, and several major systems were down. I came here looking for expertise or parts that might help me repair it - the Realm was the only thing my sensors could pick up and I didn't realise at first that it was just a derelict hulk. Even so, after I found myself working with you all, I still held out hope of fixing it eventually.

"But the dromes put paid to that!"

Once again anger flashed across her face.

"I returned to it while you were recuperating in the Med Bay after the crash. They had been dismantling it! One of the nacelles is completely gone! There's no way it could be repaired now - no-one in this universe is going to know enough about Romulan technology to build and fit a compatible nacelle. I consider myself reasonably knowledgeable about engineering matters pertaining to our ships, but even I wouldn't dare to attempt such a thing.

"So yes. Broken. And now totally useless."

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2013, 14:56 
Administrator

Shaina nodded as they entered a lift. No point in antagonising. Not if she wanted anything, anyway.

"That's too bad, really. Do you think you'll try and salvage anything from it?"

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2013, 16:15 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
"For what? I might if I could think of something worth salvaging it for. If you're thinking of trying to repair the Ehni... well, a day ago I'd have told you where you could shove it, but what's the use of being possessive over a ship that'll never fly again? If you want it, you may as well take it; I suppose you might find something of use. I bet most of the technology's totally incompatible though. Hull segments might be usable if you can reshape them, but does the Realm even possess machinery capable of replicating or otherwise reworking components of that sort of size? And what would you do about the warp engines? The Ehni's exploded and my shuttle uses a totally different system, which is both non-functional and missing a major, vital, component..."

Keris suddenly stopped.

"Those diagrams... As I walked in I noted to myself that your drawings were as large as a small ship. It's not the Ehni you're thinking about, is it?"

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2013, 16:32 
Administrator

Shaina cautiously nodded, her head low. "I'd...say you hit the metaphorical nail on its metaphorical head." She was quiet for a moment. "To be accurate--the Ehni lost its sublight propulsion drives. I...don't really know what it uses for FTL travel, but if I was lookign at the right core device--and I'm pretty damn sure I was--then it's more or less intact." The lifted reopened, delivering them outside the Med Bay. "As far as incompatibility goes: you just leave that for me to worry about. That is, assuming you really are done with your late shuttle."

[To the Medical Bay with Keris]

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2013, 23:50 

Medals: 4
Best Artist (2) Absentee (2)
[From the Main deck]

Syn stepped out of the deck and headed through the corridors, Drome carcass slung over his shoulder.

"You know, there's usually a lot more drink involved before I do this." He joked to nobody in particular, his only audience the deceased reptilian, "Well, more on your part. I tend to explode a little if I drink too much, and then someone else has to carry the ladies home...and put out the fires. But anyways, you ever come this far out of your system before? I'd imagine that might have, what with the Dromeanthrope empire being all the big, galaxy-conquering nastiness that it is and all."

He continued rambling as he took an elevator down to a deck a few levels below, one that had a number of airlocks on each side of varying size and shape, used for docking with stations and other ships without relying on the hangars. Or at least, he had always assumed that was what they were for. Most had been sealed and left unused for the entire time he had been aboard this ship in the past, and nobody had even questioned it. He only knew about the open ones because he had needed to dispose of something quickly and quietly back in the good old days, and had spent a while looking for a way to do just that. He'd never found anyone else to even pass through this level, so it served purpose amiably.

"Annnd here we are my good lady, I'll be dropping you off here." He wrapped up, priming the airlock chamber and opening the door. "No, no. I can't stay for tea and biscuits, I've gotta head off. Busy busy, y'know how it is around here." He stepped into the chamber and laid the Drome down against the wall, looking over her properly for the first time. "Ship would fall apart without me around to weld it back together." He said slowly as he inspected the armoured combat uniform she was wearing, checking pockets, packs, and anything else that might hold something for objects of interest. He gave up the search before long though, very little had survived her freezing and defrosting, it seemed. "In any case, I shall have to leave you for the evening." he said, standing up and stepping back out of the airlock. "You get some rest, and say hi to your folks for me." He gave a silly little wave and closed the door, his fingers danced over the console besides it, setting up a quick emergency purge. He flipped up the small cover for the trigger switch, and...hesitated.

"...Well...Raine did get to eat the last ones..." He though aloud, though his voice was very low and quiet. He tapped his finger lightly against the console a few times, thinking, then shook his head and pressed the switch with a fair bit more force than necessary. The airlock opened from the outside, and the Drome was lost to the black of space. "..Idiot, not the time to think of feeding on corpses, leave that to the real meat-eaters." He muttered, closing and sealing the airlock again, and heading back up to the decks above. Speaking of meat-eaters, he decided to go and check up on Raine. Forcing a light smile, he strolled into the lift, whistling.

[to Syn's Room]

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2013, 11:35 
Administrator

[From the Medical Bay with Richard]

"I would presume that no little part of any response I could give would rely on your own plans at this point, Richard. And Cassius will suffice."

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2013, 23:01 

L Award (1)
"I'm not really a plan sort of guy Cassius." Richard replied with a shrug. "I go wherever the winds take me. Like a Kite. A badass kite with long red hair. That's made of magic. And flies through space. On a giant ship that is even bigger on the inside. And lets metaphors get away from it really easily. Also, I think that was a simile." He finished, turning the corner.

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2013, 23:06 
Administrator

Cassius accepted this in turn. "I believe I could grasp such a truth with minimal befuddlement. Your disposition does seem very intent on action opposed to contemplation, if I may be so bold as to assert so." He put a hand to his stomach as it growled.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2013, 02:22 

L Award (1)
"I tend not too think too hard on it. Too much attention makes you loose focus. Honestly, if I spent too much time dwelling on the consequences of my actions, I'd go mad. I'm a millennia old superbeing that on a good day rightfully contends to the title of War God. I'll admit I'm in a bit of a slump. Anyways, With great power comes great responsibility and all that, but when you're as old as I am, you get to see the monsoons that your butterfly creates. And I'm a rather large butterfly, so if I thought about what any given choice I make will do in the future, I'd spend so much time thinking about what I'm going to do that I won't do anything. Which in it's self could lead to consequences. So no, contemplation isn't my strong suit. Besides getting in over your head is fun. Can you imagine if every swimming pool was so shallow that you could just put your feet down and stand up? Naw, you got to dive right in and hope you remember how to swim." Richard potificated. "I suppose we should hurry up and find that kitchen..."

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2013, 09:16 
Administrator

"Indeed. Getting in over one's head can at times me most invigorating. Little sharpens the mind so keenly so quickly as having to extricate oneself from a given situation." As the duo arrived at the kitchen, it crossed Cassius's mind that he could probably have tried a more persuasive tack with Richard on the matter of "getting in over one's head", but ultimately decided Richard was sharp enough to be annoyed at somethign so pointedly patronising, and let the matter rest.

[Richard and Cassius to the Kitchen]

=-=-=-=-=

Elsewhere, M nodded his thanks as Timothy showed him to a room and then went on about his own business. Upon entering, M took a look around at the admittedly rather spacious accommodations with a spectacular starview, and then promptly fell onto the bed. It took him little time at all to get to sleep.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2013, 19:21 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
[From the Medical Bay]

When Keris had left her colleagues to go in search of Shaina, M, Syn and Timothy had all been in Engineering, and Caulder had just left to go in search of Cassius in Fuel Storage, but her data padd showed that those locations were now both empty. Shaina had already declared that she was returning to her TARDIS and the device clearly showed Richard and Cassius heading in the direction of the kitchen - a pointless exercise, she felt, since she had already told them she had been there and found nothing useful. She had to input each of the others individually. It appeared that most of the people who now passed for the Realm's crew were currently in smallish rooms off of various corridors - their private quarters, she assumed. Timothy was apparently in a corridor, but close to the room where M was shown to be so she guessed he likely had quarters in the same area. If that was correct then it looked like everyone by now had found themselves a place to call home while aboard the ship.

If she was honest with herself she had to admit that finding everyone going about their own private business was disappointing. Relaxing was all well and good, but she didn't like not having a role aboard the ship, especially when she knew there were still major problems to be solved. She had hoped to find someone engaged in a task that she could assist with. With a sigh she turned down the corridor towards her own quarters. At least she could continue her studies of the ship's systems.

[To Keris' Quarters]

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2013, 02:01 

L Award (1)
[Richard from Kitchen]

"So basically I have a plan. It'll be easier to show than tell, so it'll have to wait till we get to a personal room or the main deck. So I suppose we could talk about something else besides beans for the moment. Any suggestions?" Richard asked, walking backwards as Cassius left the Kitchen.

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2013, 02:06 
Administrator

Cassius restrained asking about Richard himself again, instead opting for a more obvious, general question. "I do indeed have a suggestion, relating to the earlier events regarding the dromeanthrope. For what reason, precisely, was it awoke at all? What information were any of you hoping to glean from it?"

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2013, 02:19 

L Award (1)
Richard looked at the elf for a moment. "Well Basically they did repairs and reworks to the ship. The best, fastest way to figure out what they did, and if any of the changes might help us with our current situation would be to ask one of them. I will admit that I had missed a step in the language barrier issue."

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2013, 02:20 
Administrator

Cassius slowed his step, in surprise. "They affected substantial changes to the composition and function of this vessel?"

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2013, 02:32 

L Award (1)
"Well, pretty much the entire vessel was in the state of that room we were just in. They appear to have been working towards things like making it functional in the slightest. Frankly, the only reason we were on your planet was that we were tired and we didn't want things like the life support failing while we slept. Oh, and the mysterious whatever it was that kidnapped half our crew when the power failed. While we were away the Dromes moved in and started fixing things up." Richard continued walking backwards down the halls.

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2013, 02:35 
Administrator

Cassius followed, somewhat shaken at the revelation. "So if I to understand you with accuracy: this is larger an alien vessel to you as well? Am I too assume this is to blame for not knowing precisely what would happen if one of the...'tech savvy' crew members were to begin the fabrication of additional facilities? Does this not bother you in the slightest?"

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2013, 02:46 

L Award (1)
"Like I said, I don't bother thinking about what I can't control. I'm not tech savvy, and as such I don't even know if there is anything worth worry over. So I choose not to worry. And at any rate, I keep telling everyone that I'm not an expert on this ship. I spent maybe a month on it before in the past. Oh right. Yeah honestly None of us have much experience with this ship It's a rather old ship, and most of the crew have about a days seniority over you." Richard replied.

Formerly Avalon

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 331 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next