All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: The Main Hangar
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2013, 22:00 
Administrator

Medals: 20
Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
M looked at Shepherd and Richard squaring off. "Something you'd like to share with the entire class, Richard?"

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2013, 23:02 

Medals: 1
L Award (1)
"Basically when I was younger I founded a company and over the years it became a giant conglomerate that spanned galaxies and formed it's own government, since it was bigger than most governments. That got tedious and I left to go be a bounty hunter and general purpose adventurer. Now we're being arrested by the policing arm of that company. I think that counts as Irony." Richard said. "Now I'm sort of lacking a method of proving my identity. No Driver's licence you see."

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2013, 10:09 

Medals: 4
Best Artist (2) Absentee (2)
"Whelp, this is going well." Syn smirked. "Never thought I'd get put in jail for something Richard can't do. It's a pity I'm not carrying any senzu beans, though I'm sure I could lend a hand if you wanted to destroy a star so badly." He shrugged openly, what were they going to do, he reasoned, shoot him for making a joke?

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2013, 16:39 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
"I knew it!" Keris hissed. "No matter how properly we try to handle anything, no matter how innocent we might be, Richard always comes along and causes a scene!"

She turned to address Richard: "We weren't being arrested until you came along! I'm perfectly willing to believe you really are the founder of this organisation, given what we've seen and learnt of you in our interactions so far, but what is the point of turning up here and making grand claims like that to someone who doesn't know the first thing about you and who has the power to have us all imprisoned if they don't like what they find, when you have no way of backing up anything you're saying?! I know we Romulans are sometimes accused of being antagonistic, but at least we have a warrior culture as a basis; you just do it out of stupidity! Think before you act!"

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2013, 17:07 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
M put an arm out against Keris to indicate she hold her temper as Shepherd watched impassively.

"Well, take back what I said earlier about everybody falling into line," he said with a resigned little sigh. People didn't understand how real procedure worked. "But regardless of your internal problems I'm still not here to arrest you. This is an inspection; I'm only inclined to get the cuffs out if I find something I shouldn't. Speaking of which," he waved forward in a dismissive manner with two fingers, "get moving corporals."

As the corporals indicated gathered their squads, Miranda leaned in and tiptoed, Shepherd leaning over to oblige her diminutive stature besides his own as she whispered into his ear. He looked at her and then shrugged with his eyes and nodded. He beckoned one of the corporals back over. "Zabesh!" A sinewy looking man with olive-tanned skin and almost iridescent black hair came over and stood to attention.

"Sir?"

Shepherd motioned to the Realmers, "Keep your squad here with them for moment. Need to make a call." He and Miranda then made their way over to their shuttle and went inside, out of sight.

Shaina looked to Zabesh. "What's that all about?"

"I don't know ma'am; just follow orders."

"She suggested to Shepherd getting the Pinafore to send them Elder Family Magometric data so she could verify Richard's identity with certainty," M informed them. Getting questioning looks, he continued with a shrug. "She didn't obscure her lips." Shaina looked impressed.

"Didn't realise the TARDIS could fine-tune enough to maintain that skill with translation...cool."

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2013, 17:28 

"I should really learn how to do that." Syn grinned, "I do hope they don't make a mess of my room, I've only just gotten it back how I want it." he added with an overly exaggerated sigh.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2013, 15:21 

L Award (1)
"You were middle management back home, weren't you Keris. A person approaches you with a frank and businesslike demeanor and you instinctively fall in line because he's now the one in charge and is taking control for the best of everyone. We have half our ship locked up in their rooms while they interrogate our newly christened Captain, perform a decidedly not routine inspection to see if anything is amiss on a gasless space ship with decidedly less than a skeleton crew. And given half of our Ship is unidentified Alien Races and a brief scan of the logs will show we prematurely broke a quarantine," Richard here turned to the Pinafore officers, "Which was completely legitimate, no one was sick, someone just triggered it to run an impromptu jail cell." And then turned back to Keris." We are most definitely not getting leave of this ship beyond a secure facility bar executive mandate. And that's assuming that the Ship doesn't have anything illegal on it. Which, between the Dromes and the Space Pirates, it might. They could have left any number of things we don't know about, like biological weapons, Technology to open holes to the Warp, Phazon, a weapons system that outclasses the maximum limit allowed on a civilian vessel, and I suspect they won't take 'that was here when we got here' as an excuse. And I said I couldn't prove who I was, not that I can't activate the executive privilege protocals. I'm just buying time till I remember them. It's been a century or so since I updated them. Proving who I am is just faster, since I don't think the little brat can remove me from the company charter." Richard had stopped pacing and was now sitting down.

"Oh, and suggesting that your entire race has the right to do stupid stuff because you're a warrior culture is insulting to both of us. You're basically saying that I'm not a warrior, and that your people are all individually too stupid to look beyond what ties you together to come up with something beyond 'hey, lets pick a fight with those guys'. Which I'd like to think isn't true given your own actions aboard this ship."

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2013, 16:21 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Keris glowered at him, but kept her voice calm.

"Now you're taking the argument to ridiculous lengths. Of course that's not what I'm saying, but being antagonistic might be more understandable if you were a member of a race like mine, who had been raised in an environment where aggression is the norm and a show of force is often preferred to diplomacy. I have seen no evidence of that kind of kind of culture in you. You merely enjoy demonstrating a total lack of respect for anyone in a position of authority. Given your own power and what we have now just learnt about who you probably are, such an attitude is somewhat understandable, but that doesn't make it acceptable, or helpful, especially when the rest of us are not privy to your plans, or even your identity. Your concerns are all valid, but you could very easily have undone all M's attempts at diplomacy. We're lucky that this Commander Shepherd appears to have a sense of humour. And please note that I am a member of an aggressive race and I do recognise that there are times when diplomacy is better than antagonism.

"But now is not the time for this debate. What's done is done and your job now appears to be to try to remember those protocols, or to prove your identity by some other means. From what M just picked up, it sounds like that woman may be contributing to that shortly."

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2013, 17:26 

Syn turned to the Corporal, Zabesh, his tone pleasant.

"Don't mind them, we are all friends here, I promise. They'll probably kiss and make up later."

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2013, 11:39 
Administrator

Zabesh simply stood there. Professionally, to his credit. M slid his tongue over his teeth, thinking, but turned to Keris. "Perhaps you and I should talk later." At this point Shepherd and Miranda re-emerged from the shuttle and made their way over again. As they did, M made to greet them again, but Shepherd waved him down as Miranda pulled a small, stubby cylinder type of device from where it was lodged in the side of her extra-chunky PAD thing.

"Right, so, since we're going through the trouble of this anyway, you're all gonna get an at least general scan so I know what you guys are for certain." He nodded to Miranda, who pointed the cylindrical scanner in the direction of the grouped Realmers and began zig-zagging it through the air. Shaina laughed.

"Keris, look: it's a tricorder." Shepherd rolled his eyes but said nothing.

Satisfied with the brief group scan, she made her way past M and Keris and knelt down to scan Richard in particular, more slowly this time. She didn't make eye contact and when done said a stammering thank you before moving on to Shaina and starting another personal scan. Shaina looked surprised.

"What are you doing?"

Miranda looked at her, "...Magometric scanning...?"

"Well don't bother; I don't screw with that stuff unless I have to."

Miranda shrugged and looked down again, "Well I guess you had to. Hold still please." Shaina looked indignant but confused. "It's not actually you," Miranda expounded as she continued, "some sort of LAMA--Localised Ambient Magometric Anomaly."

"What kind of anomaly?" Shaina asked, interest and mild concern seeping into her tone.

"Don't know. Have to collate the data back at the Pinafore and let them analyse and compare."

Shaina accepted this answer without much fuss, until a moment later her face darkened a bit. "Oooh that Tim."

M held out his hand in her direction as Miranda finished up her scan and moved on to Syn. "Shaina, don't make assumptions. Especially if they're going to start more fighting. Maybe we should talk later too."

"You're a captain of circumstance, M, not everybody's dad," Shaina said dismissively.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2013, 12:25 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
"Well I for one would welcome a talk later," Keris said. "Precisely because M is a captain of circumstance. We're all from different backgrounds, with different views about what is acceptable or appropriate. It would be good to lay down some ground rules concerning what he expects of us and what we expect of him. Assigning some roles might prove useful too - assuming this secforce doesn't suddenly find something nasty that we didn't know about and decide to incarcerate us or something. If people have jobs to do there might be less friction."

She paused for barely a fraction of a second before turning to M.

"If Shaina suspects that Timothy is responsible for the anomaly concerning her, maybe we should summon him too and see if that device detects any correlation. If there's an innocent explanation for any anomalies it would be better to identify them sooner, rather than later."

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2013, 12:32 
Administrator

"That was a cue to stop talking for the moment," M replied stiffly.

Shepherd smirked, but wasn't particularly amused. "Don't know what it is, but it doesn't register as a threat or anything even close to it. We'll reserve the right to use company equipment for company matters." Meanwhile, Miranda finished scanning Syn with a look of interest and stepped backwards to be beside Shepherd again, enraptured by her device, which she replaced the scanner in. "Well?"

"Sent off the data on Shaina and Syn to the Pinafore, but...data they sent matches this Richard within acceptable margin of error attributed to drift and natural fluctuation." She looked at Richard briefly with big eyes before smiling nervously and turning her head to Shepherd again. "That's really Richard Lethain III," she said blushing.

Shepherd looked at the diminutive figure anew. "Well. That's really something. I...guess that makes this your party now, sir." He raised a slow but otherwise clean salute. "But you understand that protocol even over you means I need to make some notifications if you want to exercise any authoritative prerogative."

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2013, 22:04 

L Award (1)
"Hmm... If the family knows I'm in the galaxy, they'll be upset if I don't give them a call. I'll need to get a lift to the Corporate Headquarters when we're done here. Which should be soon. Emris you're the Captain of the ship. Don't let it go to your head, but that puts you in charge of the search and rescue business. Note that if they do find anything amiss, my hands are still tied. Shep, Where do I sign?"

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2013, 13:31 
Administrator

M nodded but seemed to be thinking to himself, not looking at anybody in particular as Miranda handed Richard her device so as to deal with the authorisations and necessary notifications.

"Perhaps Syn, Shaina, Keris and I could accompany one each of the search parties while you deal with this, Richard? And if you have a destination in mind, I don't see why we can't allow the search to go on while we're in transit, if that's permissible by protocol, Commander?"

Shepherd nodded with a sort of tired sigh. "Not exactly regular, but I'll see about making it happen."

Miranda, meanwhile, was watching Richard with almost childish admiration. "My aunt's a Lethain, you know?"

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2013, 21:12 

Syn had been smiling rather passively as the conversation continued, up until he was the subject of Miranda's scanning, at which point he couldn't help but catch her eye, then deliver a needlessly exaggerated wink, and mime blowing a kiss. Her reaction amused him as she continued, but that wasn't the important part of this for him, he was far more interested in Shaina's scan, concerning the possible implications of Timothy's magic, and Richard's scan. That M and Keris hadn't turned up anything particular, apparently, was also something that interested him, but he filed that away for later. All it meant to him presently was that the anomalies that had brought them here were probably not magical in nature. Either that, or the energy signatures left by such anomalies had worn off by now, which could have been useful information in and of itself, it made little difference; but he was enough a victim of Chekov's marksmanship from previous endeavours that he knew not to overlook such things by now.

He was, however, particularly amused by Miranda's attentions to Richard.

"He's older than I am, you know. Probably tired of women a lot earlier too." he said with what he considered to be obvious jest in his tone, then thought to add another rather pointed wink. Then he had to spend a moment deciding whether or not he cared about this woman's opinion of him. That took him longer than he'd liked to have admitted.

Last edited by Zeth on 08 Nov 2013, 01:11, edited 1 time in total.
Added Header for Indexing

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2013, 01:12 
Administrator

"O-o-ooh no," Miranda stammered, her face reddening , "I don't--I mean I wouldn't. I've just heard so much about him..."

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2013, 18:20 

L Award (1)
"Yeah, I'm great. And I'm keenly aware of my age, unlike some people." Richard said, grumbling the last part. "Perhaps when we have more time, you can tell me more about you and your Aunt. I do like to keep tabs on the relatives."

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2013, 16:43 
Administrator

"Good, that's settled," M said. "Corporal Zabesh, if you would like I'll take you and your squad and allow Keris and Syn and Shaina to pair off with their own squads. Richard, Miranda, Commander," M put a hand serenely to his chest and then opened it forward in what Shaina supposed was some form of salute. "I leave you to your devices. I will pay particular attention to the ship comms if you should need me. Everyone, perhaps we could search what I anticipate being the less intensive and less interesting areas first, such as cabins, common areas, storage; then proceed to command areas and conclude with ship function locations such as engineering fuel storage?"

"Acceptable, sir," Zabesh responded, snapping off his own sharper and more traditional hand-to-head salute and then calling his squad over. Shaina stood on her tiptoes and then jumped up two or three times to see over the heads of the assembling men and women."

"I only see one lady squad leader: I call her, whoever she is." Shaina scrambled to the side and cupped her hands around her mouth. "White hair lady Squad Leader Lady!"

"Corporal Fenton, sir" Zabesh offered helpfully.

"Corporal Fenton Squad Leader Lady! I'm taking you!" Part way across the hangar, Corporal Fenton looked at Shaina blankly.

"Fenton!" Shepherd called out, "She's your search escort; form up with her."

"Thanks pops," Shaina said over her shoulder to Shepherd as she turned to talk to Syn as she walked backwards toward Fenton. "Have fun with your sausagefest, Casanova," she said, waving at the emberkin and smiling snootily.

[M and Shaina with their squads leave to begin their ship searches; starting time skip for my characters, the search should take a few days]
[Shaina picks up again in the Bar]
[M picks up in the Escape Pod Docks]

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2013, 13:21 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Keris stood impassively as M and Shaina left with their respective search squads and the remaining two squad leaders came forward into the space now left by the vacating troops. They halted a short distance in front of herself and Syn. The one who stood closer to Keris' position, a stocky, dark-skinned man whom Keris judged, assuming he was human, to be in his late twenties or early thirties, gave the impression that he had been on the verge of saluting but then thought better of it. He most likely recalled M introducing her as 'Subcommander', she reasoned, but she was currently dressed as a civilian and held no office aboard this ship. She could see that he bore the same rank insignia as Zabesh and Fenton. So a corporal then. She certainly felt no obligation to show special respect towards someone of such low rank, though in the circumstances a little more politeness than a Romulan of equivalent rank could expect from her might be wise. She acknowledged him with a nod.

"Corporal."

"Corporal Simango, Ma'am," he responded. "If you'd be so kind as to accompany my squad..."

Keris nodded again.

"Tell me where you wish to begin, Corporal, and I'll take you there."

Simango signalled for his squad to join them. He conferred very briefly with Keris and then the party exited the hangar in silence.

[Starting timeskip.]

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2013, 21:16 

"Wait, what?" Syn cried in dismay as Shaina snooted her way out. He stepped up onto his toes and jumped up much the same way Shaina had, scoping out the remaining groups. "Sunnuvah..."

"And we'll be looking after you, I see." came a curt greeting from a tall, wide-shouldered male humanoid, a corporal like the others, checking his weapons in their holsters after Keris' escort had made himself known. "Corporal Gabren." The man continued gruffly, "I trust you'll comply as your fellows have so far?" He seemed to be amiable enough, though rather rough around the edges.

"Oh, I suppose. Pity I missed out on the eye-candy, but you'll have to do for now." Syn put on his best grumpy-face and huffed a little, which made the corporal visibly bristle.

"As you say." He responded with narrowed eyes. "Alright, form up team. We've got a fair deal of ground to cover and a very strange man to cover it with." He waved his arm to call up his squad, and Syn followed as they departed from the Hangar, making jokes before the soliders had even finished assuming formation.

It wasn't all bad, Syn had figured the moment he realised that there were still females in the team escorting him, and he wasted no time teasing the names out of each of them. But he would still have to get Shaina back for this one.

[Bamph, timeskip]

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2013, 02:39 

L Award (1)
Richard watched everyone off with a wave and turned back to Commander Shepherd. "I suppose I'll need to head to the CO of your ship regarding the logistics of an escort back to the HQ, yes? Well then, Commander, Milady, Shall we be off?" He asked the Commander and Miranda, walking onto their Shuttle. "For the record, I call Shotgun."

[Time skip, then Richard to Bridge after skip.]

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 05 May 2014, 20:23 

L Award (1)
[Richard from Medbay post an entirely different time skip later]

Richard walked into the hangar, the door opening in front of him as he did so.

"So, who's ready for a field trip?" he asked to the room in general, before looking around. "Huh, first one here. Didn't see that coming. That's not you hiding in the corner is it Wraith."

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 05 May 2014, 20:56 
Administrator

[From the Med Bay before the time skip]

"I would be more than pleased to participate in such a venture into such an unfamiliar but presumably domestically sound field," said Cassius, walking into the hangar. He was dressed in everything he had come aboard with: kopideke, sword and the pistol One had found and returned to him included. Also included was a matching Stetson, which he had spent not a little bit of time replicating over and over from the ship's computer with little tweaks until it was just to his liking. He hadn't been certain what to do with the smile pile of Stetson he'd generated and ended up simply throwing them away. He didn't think it was important to bring up; he was just glad to have "his" hat back. It still needed a bit of wear to feel right though.

The elf looked around. "Wraith. The one who did not did not deem it necessary to contribute to the greater good of expounding the knowledge of medicinal science and insight."

PostPosted: 06 May 2014, 17:25 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
[From elsewhere]

Keris entered the hangar slowly, having completed a security tour of some of the areas of the Realm that she hadn't previously had any cause to visit. She found herself in two minds about this shore leave. On the one hand she was interested to find out what this Lethainland was all about, not to mention simply getting the chance to experience another new environment in this universe she now found herself in; on the other hand she was acutely aware that her knowledge of the ship's systems was still not as detailed as she would like. She couldn't help thinking that it might be of benefit to stay behind and have a chance to study in peace while the others were out of the way - no-one could know if one day it might be necessary to lock down or activate a specific system in a specific location at a moment's notice, and the difference in the time taken to issue the command instantly or to consult the computer first might be the difference between an intruder being apprehended or escaping, or between avoiding or suffering major damage to the ship. In the end she had decided to compromise and had downloaded some files to her padd for study in any idle moments, but she still felt slightly guilty for abandoning her post.

Her unease wasn't exactly alleviated by the realisation that apparently the only two people to have reported for shore leave so far were the two who had previously done the most to rub her up the wrong way. She sincerely hoped that the party wouldn't consist just of the three of them. If that turned out to be the case she might still change her mind and spend the time studying.

"No-one else?" she queried as she stepped over to where Cassius stood, with Richard, still diminutive, at his side, and began looking around the hangar.

PostPosted: 07 May 2014, 07:32 

[From elsewhere, most likely his room given a few slight changes in apparel]

"Surely you'd not count me out of a chance to kick back, relax, and see the sights?" Syn smiled widely as he entered the hangar, arms wide at his side, and ever the centre of attention. "Keris, you wound me." He added, his grin turned mocking. "I hear that LethainLand's got some good attractions, always did mean to drop by and try it out. Oh! Hey, Richie-Rich, if I don't like any of the rides, I can come to you for a refund, right?" He teased, stepping towards the temporarily diminutive red-head.

"Also, I dare say I spied a beach up there on the approach, so should I pack swimwear? I never could decide between a bikini or boardshorts..." he frowned as if this were the single most important issue in the world. The weight of the situation did not quite reach the rest of his face, however.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next