All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: The Main Hangar
PostPosted: 07 May 2014, 15:09 

Medals: 1
L Award (1)
"Pretty sure Wraith has his reasons for avoiding medical tests. If it helps, I'm pretty sure he's baseline human." He then turned as Keris entered the Hangar. "Not yet. I'm guessing we were just the only ones not doing anything. Normally I'd point out that for the retrofitting, most of us would have to leave by the rules. But I'm pretty sure we're at skeleton crew capacity to begin with, so the argument is moot. That said, with the strange goings on, I'd argue that it is probably for the best that we all get off anyways, we should be safe at the Park and anyone messing with the Realm while we're gone answers to me. And Syn, let the force guide you." Richard added, perhaps being a bit too sagacious on the last part.

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 07 May 2014, 20:09 

Medals: 4
Best Artist (2) Absentee (2)
"Heh, I intend to." Syn smiled, reaching into his pack as if he had forgotten something and pulling out an old (very old) camera with a long neck-strap and a pale straw hat. He donned the two and instantly became the absolute visual definition of a tourist.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2014, 00:02 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Newcomer (1) Most Serious (1) The Merger Contest (1)
[From the Secondary Hangar by Way of the Corridors, after packing a few Things in his Room.]

Timothy stepped into the Main Hangar, where there seemed to be quite a few others gathered already. He saw Syn, dressed rather amusingly, and approached him.

'Is it nearly Time for us to be going?' he asked. 'I'm told we're to go and spend some Time... somewhere or other, and that it might be amusing.'

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2014, 18:25 

"Hey there big guy." Syn greeted Tim with a wave, then immediately drew up his camera and took a quick shot, with a lot of flash. "Yeah, we're gonna go have some fun, see some sights, maybe some drinks." He had a moment of realisation, and looked up and around to anyone that might be listening. "Hey, do you guys know what kinda drinks they'll have? I hope something good and heavy."

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2014, 21:32 
Administrator

Medals: 20
Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
Cassius nodded his acknowledgement of Timothy's entrance. "Assuming my gauging of the time is in fact to still be trusted," the elf pulled a pocketwatch out from his kopideke and glanced at it after popping the cover, "then there remains approximately half of an hour before we depart." Cassius looked at Syn. "A wide selection has the potential to be perused?"

[From the Bridge]

M entered from the side of the room with a slight metallic rasp of the heavy door, Commander Shepherd and a few of the Lethain SecForce in tow. Shepherd was muttering something into an invisible mic, hanging behind with his men near the entrance upon seeing the others while M continued on to meet up with the rest of them. The Nebari looked around at the assembly of pressed-by-circumstance crewmen with his signature contented smile.

"And I thought I would be the only one to arrive so soon. You must be ppretty eager to get off the ship somewhere not likely to kill you for once." Cassius raised his nose at the making light of their previous landfall.

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2014, 21:49 
Veteran

'People here measure Drinks by Weight?' Timothy asked when Syn mentioned heavy ones. 'Are there not separate Measures for Liquids?' He also politely nodded when Cassius acknowledged him. It seemed a large Number of People meant to disembark, including the Captain, who was accompanied by one of the People who apparently, quite from nowhere, seemed to work for Richard. He did hope that most of what he encountered would not be attempting to kill him on subsequent Disembarkings, but it would not surprise him owing to everything he had already seen.

Here, he turned to M.

'Captain, while I remember, how long are we to stay here, and where do we go after?' he asked.

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2014, 22:20 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
M sighed thoughtfully and rocked on his heels, clasping his hands behind his back. "We-ell as to how long we will be here: that's a bit difficult to answer. As it's been explained to me, aside from a myriad little tune-ups--predominately relating to an apparently mind-boggling amount of trash data inexplicably moving around the ship's systems--or largest problem is that the Realm's method of faster than light travel is incredibly effective, it is possibly as inefficient as possible. We had our fuel tanks depleted and the fuel...seems to barely exist. So the first matter is getting or creating some of that. Beyond that, One has proposed some modifications based on some old designs of Shaina's that could convert the system into something that uses that fuel as a catalyst instead of actual fuel--and therefore uses a tiny fraction of what it currently does." M raised a hand and pinched the bridge of his slightly crooked nose, making a face. "I don't understand it all, but the Lethain Corporation is willing to work with the designs and see what they can do. Our time here depends on how long that all takes to accomplish.

"After that..." M re-clasped his hands and nodded, mostly to himself, "After that we have a missing crewman to sort out."

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2014, 00:53 
Veteran

'I see,' Timothy answered, though he had only perhaps some Hours before thought of Vessels themselves engaging in Faster-than-Light Travel without the Aid of a Dragon's Tail the Stuff of popular Stories — the Kinds of Things that Kapori Boy would read — rather than anything seriously possible. 'Your Guess as to how it works is better than mine; what is this Fuel, and how came there to be a Device made to use it if it is so scarce?'

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2014, 01:31 

Syn had been about to explain the concept of a 'heavy' drink when M and Sheperd entered the hangar, so he waved it off with a brief sigh. He'd probably have the opportunity to show Tim what he meant later anyways.

He followed the conversation up until mention of finding Jayge, at which point he perked up quite noticeably. He managed to roll quite easily into an explanation for the Phazon, however, so he doubted that anyone had noticed.

"It's called Phazon, it's a semi-sentient, highly mutagenic substance, and is probably one of the most dangerous things in spaces, if left to its own devices." He took a moment to make sure that everyone was paying attention, then continued. "It's self-replicating, which made it perfect for fuel. So long as you keep the stuff under control, and don't burn out your entire supply in one burst, it'll keep you going forever, so long as you feed it. Kinda ruins a few rules of physics, but then hey, what doesn't these days?" He raised his camera to take a quick shot of those listening, mostly just for kicks, "Buuuuut I heard that something happened to its source, and the stuff just kinda...stopped. As far as I know, it's practically just radioactive blue slop now."

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2014, 13:23 
Veteran

'So People really do use radioactive Materials as Sources of Energy,' Timothy said; it sounded like he found the Idea excessively novel. 'I encountered a Mention of that in a History Book once, but found it rather far-fetched at the Time; you said it was called Feison, did you? And how is that written?'

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2014, 23:30 
Administrator

"P-H-A-Z-O-N," Cassius explained casually. "There has not seemed to be an abundance of adherence to orthographic regularity in this culture, Timothy. Or even much of a care as to what it is, let alone its aesthetics."

M raised an eyebrow. "Someone's been doing their homework."

Cassius sniffed. "Spelling out a word what seen on a screen is little more impressive than the feat of a common parrot." He pulled his pistol out of its holster in an apparently bored gesture of pointless haphazard cleaning of the weapon, the crystal inlays, polished wood and gunmetal already gleaming. "Regardless, the mutagenic properties were intriguing."

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2014, 01:23 

L Award (1)
"Technically, it's more impressive that you took the initiative to look up the stuff. Honestly if you actually read up on it you probably know more than half the room about the stuff. I try to stay away from it seeing as it's one of the few things that can give me a cold. I'd be much happier redesigning the engines to work on something else, Though I suppose that would... take... long..." Richard trailed off for a moment and then stopped talking entirely. he then whipped his head to look in M and Shepherd's direction. "Shep, I'm going to need an explanation as to why I'm not being chastised and the Ship impounded for having an engine that runs on an Incredibly dangerous and very illegal substance, and why you didn't interject about reformatting it to use less rather than none at all."

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2014, 07:38 
Administrator

The older man straighten slightly more from where he stood in the background of the goings-on. "Sir. Company policy has changed in regards to phazon's class of substances since your last involvement in company management. It was...reclassified, and newer containment technologies and procedures allowed safer handling of that class--" Shepherd stopped short with a short, huffy sigh and visibly resisted rolling his eyes. "To be honest, sir, I don't understand all the legal crap. Miranda sorted it all out so you need to talk to her or, god forbid the lawyers if you want details. My best understanding is you're transporting something that while really dangerous is so rare it's a loophole now. Wasn't taken into account when the legality about its class of substances was changed."

M smiled genuinely, with a bit of wile mixed in his expression. "Honestly Richard, don't you have any confidence in me?"

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2014, 14:59 

"Ah, lawyers, the true evil of the ever-developing Universe." Syn commented lightly, "Good to know that we're free to continue on our merry way with what little planet-wide threats remain aboard the ship." He added, though he blinked for a moment towards Sheperd to see if that garnered a response. It didn't, but he figured that Miranda would likely be the more appropriate of the two to watch for cues on that. Also, the Commander seemed like a dude who'd be cool with pretty much anything that wasn't immediately pointing weapons-grade munitions at his face. "I'm in favour of re-purposing the engines as well, for what little that's worth. It'd be better not to have any of the stuff floating about for the everyday idiot to muck about with. Or worse, have someone like Sirriax walk off with a full fuel store's worth of it." He scowled a little, but hid it quickly, "Best try and get that off of him when we get the chance, eh?"

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2014, 19:19 
Administrator

[Shaina and Raine from the Secondary Hangar]

Shaina strode in with a frosty, aloof air, shades already down, obscuring her eyes. She stood for a moment, glancing around behind the glasses before strolling leisurely through the group.

"How much time we have left 'fore we disembark?"

"About...uh..." M looked thoughtful and distracted for a moment as he converted the time measurements. "Fifteen minutes, I think?"

"Correct," Cassius confirmed with an eye roll. "Not entirely certain as to my feelings regarding unconditional trust of a commanding officer who is less than competent in the art of interpreting the time."

"Not entirely certain how I feel about trusting a doctor with medical knowledge many centuries out of date," M responded, his overtly pleasant demeanour turning it into a sharp sting to Cassius' ego. The elf did not respond, snorting his dismissal. Shaina raise an eyebrow in interest, ending her stroll beside Syn and pulling her pack around to reach in and retrieve a light green lollipop.

"So who's doing what?" She asked, unwrapping the lolli and popping it into her mouth.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2014, 19:37 

Syn brought his camera up to take a few snaps as the girls joined them,

"Nice shades, very oblique." He said jovially, tilting his camera, supposedly for some kinda of better angle. Raine huffed a little.

"Just don't point that at-" She huffed again, folding her arms. "I'll break it." She threatened, as Syn did the inevitable before she could even warn him off of it.

"Hey now, I'm just making memories." Syn twisted, stepping back and snapping pictures, falling into more and more ridiculous postures in as he went.

"I'll give you something to remember." Raine growled, and Syn let the camera drop, deciding not to push his luck.

"Hey now, we're all learning new things here." Syn offered up to both M and Cassius, making sure to snap a quick shot of Shaina's lollipop as he did so. "Would you believe that I've never used a camera before now?"

"Not in the slightest." Raine interjected, "I've seen you use that piece of junk before."

".. Spoilsport." Syn grumbled, pointedly taking a few pictures of Raine in a fruitless attempt to annoy her. "In any case, I'll be drinking heavily, seeing and recording the sights, and generally just chilling out. There's a beach, so that'll be pretty sweet." Raine visibly softened upon mention of a beach.

"Never been to a beach before, hard to fit one on a Hybrid battlefleet." She said with a slightly forced laugh, "Might be nice to see."

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2014, 19:51 
Administrator

Shaina rolled her tongue around the lollipop before popping it out. "You're going to the beach too?" She asked in Syn's direction. "Might need someone to reach some of the harder to reach spots with sunscreen..." She offered suggestively, freely slouching into a more photogenic pose for Syn. Cassius looked up, failing to hide his interest by doing it discretely and earned a witheringly direct look from M. Shaina didn't notice.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2014, 20:00 

"I might come along." Syn returned, taking his time lining up his shots, grinning lightly behind the camera. "So long as people don't try and splash me too much, I'd really prefer not to have to dry my clothes before come back. I've only got one outfit, after all." He chuckled. Raine raised an eyebrow, but said nothing.

"You'd best not go pointing that thing about if we do end up there." She said, cooly, "Some people might get the wrong idea. Or the right one." there was a thin edge of hostility to her latter words. "Could get you in trouble."

"Never stopped me, never will." Syn laughed, languishing one more snap of Shaina before once again turning on Raine and stealing a quick picture. "At this rate, I'll run out of film before we even get there. You should stop being so photogenic, the lot of you."

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2014, 20:23 
Administrator

Shaina was tempted into a little half smile. "What can I say? When you've got it, you've got it." She took another look over at Shepherd and his assorted minions. "Hey pops: Corporal Fenton have any shore leave saved up?"

"I don't think so," Shepherd replied simply. "Now is not a time it would be smart to be dismissing my company."

Shaina wrinkled her nose. "Couldn't hurt to ask." She looked over at Keris but changed her mind and settled back on Raine. "You want to get your hair done after we're done with the beach?"

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2014, 20:35 

"Uh, sure?" Raine responded, both a little surprised and unsure. She didn't particularly need anything 'done' to her hair, she could alter it effectively at will, aside from that stubborn patch at the back, but at the same time she was more than a little curious. It seemed that she would be having quite a few new experiences on this trip.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2014, 02:42 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Keris listened to the exchange with interest - she had no idea what she wanted to do once they disembarked; this kind of holiday resort was alien to her she thought hearing the others' plans could be useful. But as the talk moved on to the subject of the beach her curiosity shifted to puzzlement.

"Why so much interest in a beach?" she asked as soon as there was a lull in the conversation. "What do you plan to do on a strip of coastal sand? Study it?"

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2014, 03:22 
Veteran

Timothy had also hoped to learn something of what he might find at the Resort to which he was bound (and wondered all the While if Syn, who seemed to be rather literally MADE of Fire, really ought to have been swimming); he grinned a little when he saw Cassius showing Interest in Shaina, especially when it got him a rather unkind Look from the Captain.

'Are the Oceans of your World too hazardous to be enjoyable, Miss Keris?' he asked (rather quietly) when she spoke. 'People often go to the Shore as they like to swim, or else to lie in the Sun, or to play in the Sand itself. One can make surprising Things from it with a little Water added. I gather that is what would be done there, unless my own World is even more anomalous than I imagined. I may well go myself — I haven't been to one in Years.'

He wanted to add something like, Those with especially fine Figures might also find some Pleasure in showing them as Swimming generally requires little Clothing; and there are also those who, ahem, had rather see than be seen, and go to appreciate what is being shown, but thought that M's Response to the Idea of Cassius fancying Shaina entirely adequate.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2014, 21:00 

L Award (1)
"Apparently I have work that needs doing. I'll probably make my way to the beach when I'm able." Richard said with a sigh. "For everyone more interested in a slightly faster pace, The amusement park should have a number of Rides and such. When I was last here, they were working on using the Gravity manipulation systems to make a new coaster with sharper twists and turns, while still limiting the G forces on your body to safe levels, and there is also a Casino somewhere, though I suppose that is sort of out, given we effectively have no money."

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2014, 21:32 
Administrator

"Don't be such a stiff, Keris," Shaina said with an exaggerated slump to her shoulders. "I find it impossible to believe Romulus didn't have some spectacular beaches. Sometimes you act like you were brought up on Remus or something. Everything I ever saw in the movies and stuff of Romulus was practically paradisaic. Unless everything outside the capitol city was just a rock quarry and it really was all propaganda."

M noted Timothy's amusement at Cassius' predicament, filin away the observation for later. "I think the subcommander is simply more interested in indulgences of a more proactive and pragmatic type," he looked at Keris, "Feel free to correct me, of course. Generally I've found that those of us conditioned to a military lifestyle tend to feel more awkward than relaxed in beach type scenarios. I would say I've acclimated well enough, but the concept of losing oneself in a state of complete vulnerability while wasting time, money and resources and most likely drawing attention to ourselves is the exact opposite of what our entire lives are balanced on doing.

"Regardless, I'm sure a glass or two of Romulan Ale would open you up to some mess hall style storytelling, Security Chief?"

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2014, 05:23 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Keris nodded her agreement to M.

"You are correct."

Then she switched her attention back to first Shaina and then Timothy as she added, "Romulus does have some really beautiful scenery, including beaches, but for adults to go to a beach for just for its own sake seems... odd. While going for a swim might be enjoyable, playing with sand is a children's activity, and the idea of going to a beach simply to lie in the sun seems utterly pointless. I could do that in a field. Or anywhere else I happened to be. But I don't really understand why anyone would want to do it at all unless they're taking a rest during a tiring activity."

She turned back to M.

"Romulan Ale on the other hand does sound tempting - if it even exists in this region of space."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next