All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: The Kitchen
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2014, 10:42 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Newcomer (1) Most Serious (1) The Merger Contest (1)
Timothy's Expression changed rather little through Raine's Account, but he was taking in everything she said quite eagerly, and was rather disappointed when it stopped so suddenly.

'Mine probably isn't terribly interesting to you,' Timothy answered. 'It's only a single Planet, the Fifth in its System; most of it is green and hilly, forested, or else mountainous. Stories have more varied Places, like Jungles and sandy Deserts, but the only Deserts we have are cold. I'm from one of the larger Cities — Damsonbury — which is only a little to the North of the Dividing Line. It would be rather hot if its Elevation were not so high. Our Ships are nothing like this one, but we seldom engage in Space Travel. I do believe that People once rather frequently went to the Moon, but nobody does that now. Our Population is stable, and a good Part of our World uninhabited, so we've no real Need to go and find others. I'm really fairly physically ordinary, as far as Men from it go; and there is also a greater Difference of Size between Men and Women than what I have seen here. I'm not really sure what else you would want to know.'

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2014, 15:11 

Medals: 4
Best Artist (2) Absentee (2)
"So does everyone use magic on your world?" Raine asked, wide-eyed and rather curious herself. She found it rather hard to believe that any race would settle for just one planet, or that they had no trouble all fitting on one. But then it was somewhat plausible that Timothy's people was just one with a relatively low population growth, so that could have explained it. "Haven't you guys ever considered going out and exploring at all? I mean, I really can't imagine many people would be content to just sit around on one planet their whole lives when you've got the technology to go elsewhere."

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2014, 15:39 
Veteran

'Some People use more Magic than others, but everybody has at least a rudimentary Knowledge of it, rather like how most everybody can sing, to some Extent, but some carry Tunes better than others,' Timothy answered. 'Of course, some People are better than others at doing certain Things with it.'

He pondered her Question about leaving and exploring further, and said, at last, 'I can't think of many People who would want to make an extended Trip away from the Planet itself — I find it very comfortable — though I suppose it must have seemed adventurous at the Time when the Planet itself left the Old World. I remember I read an old Story about People who went back back after Animals: we were made to suffice with what we had, so the Planet is, itself, biologically uninteresting. If the Biosphere of the Old World is as bad as we imagine by now, most of the Species we did not have the Chance to take with us are extinct. I suppose we must seem rather parochial, but it is a World where People find contentment rather easily. It would be nice to know what is become of the Old World — we aren't sure that it's the original Home of our Species, and our best Guess is that it isn't — but the Dangers of doing so do not really outweigh what we might gain.'

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2014, 20:06 

"Well, I guess that makes sense." Raine admitted. Having lost one world would certainly be enough to make a race look after the next after all, right? "You probably don't have any problems with overpopulation either, I suppose. If there are ever too many people around you could always just shrink them down all itty-bitty with magic, couldn't ya?" She seemed amused by this prospect.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2014, 21:01 
Veteran

'The Magic that shrinks only lasts a few Hours at most on something alive,' Timothy answered. 'That's the Problem with Magic: it doesn't last very well on Things that are alive unless it is native to the Organism. I can help your Body to mend itself, and it seems to inhibit making Scars, among other Things; we aren't entirely sure why it inhibits some Things, like the peculiar Kinds of Heat, or,' Timothy consulted his Pad for a Word here, 'the Radiation — do I say that correctly? — given off by Elements forty-three, ninety-four, and seventy-five, erm, no, seventy-six — seventy-five is the one that carries Oxygen in Blood...'

Timothy trailed off, but then looked like he had remembered something.

'Do you happen to know where Syn is? I've something to talk to him about if he isn't too busy.'

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2014, 17:26 

"Periodic elements? I don't know very much about those myself." Raine shrugged, very little interested her when it came to the sciences, though she did have a particular advantage when it came to biology. "Hm... I don't really know. You might be able to find him on your PAD, if he's got his on him?" She suggested, finishing off her latest cookie. "You gonna leave these here if you go looking for him?" She asked, glancing greedily at the plate and back to him again.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2014, 19:42 
Veteran

Timothy moved through several Rectangles on the Pad, though what he was doing was not visible to Raine because of how they were sitting. He looked first as though he had found something, but then as if he had lost it.

'I don't seem to be able to find his exact Location, but there is a Function to send him a Message,' Timothy said. 'I think that a good Idea.'

Timothy entered the following and sent it directly:

I still have your Cylinder from before, and do not know what to do with it. If you come and find me in the Kitchen later, you may have it returned to you; I likely go for my Medical Examination now.
— T. Chartier

'There, that ought to do it,' he said. 'As far as the Cookies go, the Replicator ought to be able to make as many as you like;' here, he made Magic to fetch the Wrapping that he had left on the Counter, which appeared to be written in some Form of Chinese Characters. 'I imagine you could show this to it and get them; I probably ought to go to the Medical Bay now and make certain I'm not hazardous to anybody's Health.'

[To the Medical Bay, stopping in his own Room to fill a few Phials with various bodily Substances.]

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2014, 13:06 

Medals: 1
L Award (1)
A little while after Timothy left the room, some scuffling could be heard under the table before one of the seats were pushed back and a familiar voice emerged

"You leave anything to nom on, or should I consider looking elsewhere?"

[Richard from wherever he went after the Bridge]

Richard then hopped up onto the seat and looked across the table to Raine.

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2014, 10:40 

Raine grinned at mention of the replicator being used to generate cookies.

"Now now, I can't go letting myself go like that, think of all the weight I'd put on." She said somewhat sarcastically, though she did pull the plate a little closer to her as she added "I'll just stick to these. Have fun being prodded in the everywhere by a strange elf."

She sat and nibbled on another cookie as Timothy left, enjoying the taste and texture. She really doubted that the replicator would ever be able to produce something quite as good as real food, there was some quality to food that always seemed to have been lost in translation somewhere. Regardless, she could feel her body reacting to the relatively sudden influx of sugar, and decided that, as nice as they were, she should really stop eating them all now.. perhaps nobody would notice if she took the plate back to her ship?

She felt a pang of unease thinking on that. Her ship was still hibernating in the hangar... Perhaps it was now safe enough to wake it and feed it? She'd have to ask M about that, as he seemed to be calling the shots now. She was sure that she could convince him that having a craft capable of making away trips and transporting people and cargo would be beneficial sooner rather than later, and she could always go out and scavenge for resources should he want her to make it up to the crew, or the Realm, or whatever. She was musing on this she heard Richard scuffling, it made her jump.

"You're a sneaky one, aren't you?" She said, more defensively than she would have liked, as he found a place on the chair opposite her. "You can have the rest of these, if you like cookies? You look like the type to like cookies." She nudged the plate in his direction, not paying attention to Richard's rather diminutive stature at present, and leaving it a little out of reach. "The cook recommended I use a replicator if I wanted more, he's gone off to the medbay to get checked out by that elf, so I wouldn't count on any good food for a little while." she added, calming herself. It wasn't like her to not notice someone entering a room, but then now that she thought about it, Richard was really difficult for her to keep tabs on while she couldn't see him. This was weird for her...

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2014, 17:22 

L Award (1)
"I'm not exactly a slouch in the kitchen myself in all honesty, though I imagine being a foot or so tall would put a hamper on my ability to move from the counters to the stove efficaciously, let alone pull a pot off the stove." Richard replied, hopping up onto the table and sitting crosslegged in front of the cookie plate, grabbing one. "And really, I prefer my food done by hand over processed by a replicator. And yeah, I have a habit of just turning up when and wherever suits me. It'd be a real buzzkill if I had people and things stopping me all the time."

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2014, 20:23 

"I'll have to ask how you manage that sometime." Raine grinned, thinking that it must be because of his present stature that she was having so much trouble detecting anything from him. She knew that Tyrans were universally poor at picking up anything innately magical, or related to the Warp in any way, and she knew that she would have had issues keeping track of Caulder for exactly that reason were his suit not so loud and noisy, but did that explain Richard? She couldn't remember if she had had this problem earlier, before he used up all of his energy to punch Dasah, but something about the idea made her doubt it. It must be because he's so compact, everything about him was quieter now, except for his voice, she supposed.

"I could handle the heavy lifting, if it'd help?" She offered, trying to take her mind off of it. It didn't really matter if she had trouble figuring out where Richard was, outside of her field of vision. Especially at present. He could look after himself after all, she figured.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2014, 00:12 

L Award (1)
"Naw. Someone else's circle now, it'd be rude to step in without permission. I can wait till we get to our destination. There should be plenty of food as guests of a major corporation." Richard replied, grabbing another cookie. "Why, you any more hungry yourself, I'm certain I could find the chef if you wanted more. Or would you rather just talk. Obviously looking for the chef would require me leaving."

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2014, 09:50 

"Nah, I'm pretty much full." replied Raine. It wasn't strictly true, but that was more due to a Tyran's nature of storing nutrients and biomass, she could simply keep eating forever if she wanted to, she'd just have to deal with the aesthetic changes of having eaten so much, and she'd much rather just not. "Do you have anything to talk about?" She asked then, leaning forwards to prop her elbows against the table and rest her chin against the backs of her hands. She hadn't talked much to Richard before, she realised, he seemed quite interesting, even compared to others on this ship.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2014, 17:00 
Veteran

[From wherever he went after the Medical Bay]

Timothy returned with several more Bags under his Arms which looked to contain more Foodstuffs. He nodded politely to Raine and Richard before depositing them in the Food Preparation Area. This done, he tapped a Message to Syn on his Pad which read, Returned to the Kitchen after medical Examination, and can return Cylinder when needed and sent it off before stepping back over to the Table where Raine and Richard were talking of... he did not know quite what.

'Hopefully, the Electric Larder is more full after this,' he said; and, he asked Richard, 'Do you wish me to me to make you something as well?'

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2014, 00:21 

L Award (1)
"Oh, I've got several things I could talk about. Primary advantage of getting old, I could tell stories all day and it'd be a drop in the barrel. Downside I suppose is knowing where to start, there are a lot to choose from."

As Tim Walked in, Richard looked over to him. "Oh hey, Apparently I don't need to get up to find him. I mean, I knew I was good, but that sort of exceeds expectations." He said, flexing his tiny arm as he did so. "Hmm, food? I think I'll let you decide. Your new job is as much about picking the meals as it is cooking them."

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2014, 20:32 
Veteran

'All right, let me see what I can do,' Timothy said, and then there came various Noises of Chopping and Grating, and, a little later, of something frying and Things being taken out of Bags and stowed in various Places. The Room began to smell of Bell Peppers and Beef again. Timothy emerged with a Plate as full as the one he had eaten earlier himself — Richard seemed to change Sizes, so he might well eat it all, but it was quite easy to make, and had come out a little better this Time — and set it on the Table with a Knife and Fork.

'If you like some, there is also Tea,' he said. 'I rather like this whole Cooking Thing, but I only know this one Recipe so far...'

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2014, 16:38 

"I'll be sure to look out for a biography the size of this ship sometime then." Raine nodded at Richard, smiling, and deciding that she'd really need to talk with him more sometime. He was interesting. Timothy's return distracted her though.

"Don't worry about it Tim, you'll learn more, I'm sure." She grinned, "At least you're fitting into your role here pretty easily."

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2014, 00:01 
Veteran

'I'm happy you think so,' Timothy answered. 'This is a peculiar Place, but I think I might begin to like it. The Novelty of it was unpleasantly shocking at first, but it makes me feel as if my former Existence was a little... if not parochial, than at least somewhat constrained. There seems to be a great Deal here of which I could never have thought... Sorry, I suppose I started to ramble.'

Timothy looked rather pensive for a Moment, but then almost smiled when he asked, 'Do you mind telling me how you came to be here? I think you said something about growing up on a Fleet of some Kind before, but you appear to be rather different to everybody else on Board, who all appear to be different to each-other, so I guess that this Vessel is of little, if any, Relation to it.'

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2014, 01:09 

"It's always interesting coming across new things on hubs like this ship." Raine agreed, nodding, "I'd never have even dreamed of a machine that could match me in close quarters, for one thing." she said with a sullen frown, though something in her posture said that she'd happily try again if she ever got the chance.

"No, I grew up on the Tyran Hybrid Capital Fleet, where the largest, eldest and most capable living vessels in the Tyran race gather, and the greatest of our race crew them." she said with an air of wonder. "Well, it may not be all that in practice, but it was a nice place to be. Lots of conveniences that you don't get in one of these metal-hulled d-...ships." She had been about to call the Realm a dead-ship, typical slang for any vessel not of the Tyran race, though for some reason that felt really wrong to her. Curious, but not enough to warrant much more attention, she shook it off. "Did you have anything in particular you wanted to know about the fleet?" she asked, turning her attention from the strangeness of the Realm to Timothy.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2014, 01:40 

L Award (1)
"I'd like to lay claim to most different, if it is all the same to you." Richard said, taking the fork and digging into the plate. "Not too bad. Maybe a little work on your seasonings. Won't tell you which, you can figure out that for yourself. If you're new to cooking though, I'd recommend starting with eggs. the possibilities aren't as open ended as beef, but they are still versatile and I find them to be kinder to a newer chef." He continued after taking a breath and then eating the food again.

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2014, 08:10 
Veteran

'I'm not entirely sure I know what a Tyrian is,' Timothy answered — he had some Trouble pronouncing the Word — but looked very curious. 'You seem to be able to change yourself into other Kinds of Organisms, I cannot quite imagine how this would work, but I suspect that is a Trait common to your Kind, as Tievre is to mine? And what, exactly, do you mean by living Vessels? Do you mean that you make them of living Matter rather than of Metal, Glass, and Ceramics?'

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2014, 19:44 

"'Tyrian' is short-hand for Tyranid-human hybrid. You've probably never seen a Tyranid before, and probably would be better off never seeing one, but our entire race is the product of some deranged Sith Lord wondering what would happen if humans ever achieved the same level of bio-technology as seen in those cosmic terrors." Raine replied, a tinge of what sounded like sarcasm in her voice, mostly directed at the Sith Lord in question. "He found out, and now we're a galaxy-spanning civilisation on par with the other big guns of the universe. The bio-morphing is something of a racial trait, we naturally produce a chemical called polymorphine, which enables us to shape biological tissue pretty much as we desire. Technically anyone could use the drug to do this, but we've got a bunch of other organs dedicated to making us better at it naturally than any other species ever could be, so yeah, it's pretty neat."

As if to demonstrate her point, Raine's eye colour shifted several times, to a number of wildly different hues and patterns, while she spoke, finally settling back on bright amber again. "We grow our technology, so by 'living vessel', I mean a ship that is alive, or rather, a living thing that is used as a ship. No metal, glass, or ceramics, unless they're naturally occurring due to augmented biology. What's a Tee-ver?" She asked, mispronouncing it fairly poorly.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2014, 20:20 
Veteran

'I've never heard of a Tyranid before, but I gather it's some Manner of Organism which has Capacities similar to your own?' Timothy answered; he found it a little disconcerting to see Raine change her Eyes like that, but did not let it show. 'And what, exactly, is a Sith? Some Kind of Lord, like a Duke or a Viscount?'

When Raine asked him what Tievre was, he answered, 'Oh, sorry, that's the Word for what I've been calling Magic in this Language, though that Term appears to be so broad as to be rather useless; Tievre —' he pronounced it more slowly, ['tʲiɛ̯v.ə] it was something between TYEV-er or CHYEV-er (more towards the Former) said non-rhotically, 'is, more precisely, a Thing which allows one impose the Imagined upon Reality, and also the Principle by which it is done. It is something like Thought or Imagination itself; it isn't material, and does not appear to be a Kind of Energy like Heat or Light because it operates rather unpredictably, and can be created, and also destroyed, though only by stronger Tievre, or else the Wish of the one who made it that it be no more... If you are capable of making it, you can also see it when it is present in large Concentration; the Mind generally represents it as a yellowish Glimmer, though it has no Properties of Illumination. Any Transfer of Energy triggered by it has a Net Loss of zero unless you wish otherwise... is there anything specific about it that you wish to know, or do I ramble?'

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2014, 00:01 

"The Tyranids are...really not nice. They're a hive-mind governed race of essentially mindless omnivores. They travel from planet to planet, explore, evolve, conquer, then eat everything, and leave for the next one with the evolutions and biomass they gained on the way backing them up. We've learnt a lot about conducting war from them, but not much else, to be honest. As for the Sith, they're from somewhere else entirely. I don't know much about them, but I think they fall into some darker side of some religion based around a form of physics-based magic call the Force. They organise themselves into pairs, with one master and one apprentice, and often have a whole 'evil empire' thing going for them. This one in particular specialised in Sith Alchemy, which is the rather questionable 'art' of using the Force, and various other things, to influence and augment biology. Not really a nice crowd." Raine explained, though again she seemed to have a pointedly noticeable disdain for both the Tyranids, and the Sith.

"So... it's kind've like... molecular telepathy?" Raine looked at the giant, plainly confused. "I guess? I don't know much about magic at all, and my science is pretty limited." she shrugged, "I think some of our psykers could do that, force imagination on reality I mean, only they use the Warp to do it, so that's kinda dangerous." She sat back in her chair, thinking about it more. "I guess it's sort-of like an external polymorphine then. While I can modify my body as I like, you can modify the world around you, right?"

She chuckled lightly at Timothy's question though, "You do ramble, but so do I, I guess." Then she sat up with a start. "Oh, I should really go do that medical exam thing. Best to get it out of the way quickly.." She pushed herself up from the table and stood up. "Thanks for the meal Timothy, and I'll collect on one of those stories another time, Richard." She smiled, waved, and left for the corridors.

[Raine to the Corridors]

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2014, 00:32 
Veteran

A good Deal of what Raine said made precious little Sense to Timothy, who had never before heard of a Hive Mind, and the Thought of Religion and Magic being related struck him as odd. Some of the Clergy did know it, he supposed, but it did not really have any noteworthy liturgical Function of which he could think, and the Thought of an Evil Empire raised Questions of the Quality of the Work of Origin in his Mind. What Sort of Empire could really survive if it were evil? That sounded rather like something that ought to collapse under its own Weight. Her Thoughts on what Magic might be were also rather confusing, since he was not certain what she meant by Molecular Telepathy, though that sounded wrong. He could only surmise that the Warp was a Kind of Distortion very unlike Tievre, which worked in a very orderly Fashion.

'The Impositions on Reality that I can make are not unlimited — I must at least somewhat comprehend, or more importantly not misapprehend — the mechanical Process which is to happen, though the Understanding can be intuitive rather than composed of discrete Facts,' he said at last. 'I cannot suddenly make Things into what they are not materially, though extra Properties can be added, like Magnetism to Leather...'

He broke off there, and bade her good-bye when she announced that she would go for her medical Examination.

'Sorry, but I think I have a great Deal of Reading to do now,' Timothy said to Richard, and, with a polite Nod, he left.

[To Elsewhere.]