All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: The Kitchen
PostPosted: 17 Apr 2010, 17:27 
Administrator

Medals: 20
Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
A moderately sized room with the real kitchen being a small, nicely built and efficient affair in the far right corner. Behind it are two doors beside each other, one leading to an empty and thawed freezer and the other to a similarly empty and dark pantry.

The rest of the room remains a massive tripping hazard, with no lights on anywhere to expose the upturned tables and chairs scattered all around if not attached to the walls. Bits of trash and former meals lie about the tipped trash containers that hadn't been dumped into the incinerators before the old crew's departure.

Post subject: Re: The Kitchen
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2013, 13:30 

Medals: 1
L Award (1)
[Richard and Cassius from corridors]

Richard entered and looked around. "I suppose getting the kitchen back up to snuff wasn't something the Dromes considered necessary." He stated with a sigh. "You see anything back behind the bar? I doubt we'll find anything in here, well not anything non perishable."

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2013, 17:37 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Cassius's face belied disgust at the appalling state of the Kitchen. "I did not think this particular locale was supposed to be such a dishevelled..." he gave up searching is gratuitous vocabulary and settled for something succinct, "mess." At Richard's word, the elf looked around somewhat blankly, and began picking around the mess across the room with careful steps, careful to keep his riding boots as impeccably clean as possible. On his way to the cooking area he activate the lights using the wall panel near the door. Most of the lights came on, though one of them made a sharp sound between a crack and a snap and flickered rapidly before settling into a very low, gloomy sort of glow. The rest of the lights were brighter, but still seemed not quite as bright as they should have been. Not that Cassius's superior elven eyesight had any real difficulty with it. Maybe a human''s would. Cassius didn't bother himself thinking about it.

"I observe nothing of any noteworthy edibleness..." Cassius reported as he rested a hand on an island in the midst of the cooking area. "Save the spattered remains of what I suspect were some odoriferous form of condiments at a time long gone, if that holds any appeal. How utterly disappointing. Supposing we replicated new ingredients to prepare a course of, these facilities are not fit to be considered for perhaps being fit to use."

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2013, 18:01 

L Award (1)
"Well, I suppose we could see if any of the more tech savvy crew members know of a way we could have thi place condemned and see if the ship has any protocals for contructing a new room out of whatever the ship uses to make the spare rooms, but we'd better wait in case it uses the same supplies as the replicators. Besides, I doubt this room would take that much work to fix up." Richard replied as another light broke.

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2013, 18:13 
Administrator

Cassius spied something under a counter with an "ah!" as Richard replied, and darted a hand underneath to grab it, triumphantly displaying a can of...something that appeared to be unopened. And unlabelled, save a black block print in a language he couldn't read in an alphabet he didn't recognise. He gave Richard a look and then lobbed the can gently to the little man.

"And how, precisely, would that work, provided that one of the aforementioned crew members could affect it? Or do you not know?" The latter was a simple, honest question, but luckily Cassius had a knack to make it sound condescending and patronising nonetheless.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2013, 23:37 

L Award (1)
Richard caught the relatively large can and put it on the floor. "Haven't the foggiest. Which is why we'd get our geniuses on it. Tech geniuses that is. Hmm... Looks like beans. I can do a lot with beans. I suppose we need a can opener though."

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2013, 23:59 
Administrator

"I can provide a solution. Would you be so kind?" Cassius held his hands open to indicate Richard tossing the can back, which the miniature man did, rather awkwardly. Cassius investigated the can for a few seconds before running a forefinger and thumb around the rim, and then simply taking the top off.

"Sufficient?"

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2013, 01:26 

L Award (1)
"I had kindof expected that to take longer. We don't exactly have anything to cook it with." Richard replied. "Unless... I have a crazy idea, follow me, keep hold of the beans." Richard said, leaving the room for the Hallway.

[Richard to Corridors]

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2013, 01:29 
Administrator

Cassius looked around again before carefully retracing his steps out of the warzone kitchen. He scowled as a mushy bit of mystery something stuck to the edge of his boot, waggling it to try and fling it off as he hopped out of the kitchen, beans in hand.

[After Richard]

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2014, 23:33 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Newcomer (1) Most Serious (1) The Merger Contest (1)
[From the Bridge, by Way of the Corridors]

The first Thing that struck Timothy when he opened the Door to the Kitchen was the Smell of Rubbish that had been about for God knew how long. It looked as though a Cataclysm — and a very filthy one at that — had been visited upon it.

'I would dearly love to see Agata's Reaction to this,' he muttered to himself. 'She would go on for Days about it, I'm sure, but she would also have it clean in a Second. I ought to have learnt that cleaning Magic of hers... how did she it...? I probably ought to make some Light...'

Light was something he could make easily enough. He did something which looked rather like tapping the Air, and soon everything was gently illuminated from a Glow of very ambiguous Origins, which laid bare the whole of the sordid Affair. Timothy searched his Pocket for a Handkerchief and thought very hard about a Wind that would blow about and gather all of the... Crud, he supposed... together into it, and then let it go. When it was done, there was a large Ball of Sludge pinning the hapless Handkerchief to the Floor. He went to it directly, made Magic to shrink it, and then punted it into the Chute which the Pad told him would lead to the Incinerator, which he hoped was still functioning.

Next, there were the Furnishings, which were all lying about in a most unseemly Fashion. A good Part of it was probably broken, but he made Magic to right it all, and then waved his Hand and moved the broken Items into a Heap closer to the Door. Those could be dealt with later. He wondered if the Replicators could not summon up replacement Furnishings, perhaps in a better Style. The Size of them might mean he would have to make them in Pieces and put them together, but there was a whole Day ahead of him, and rather little to do. The Strangers were probably not interested in him, and he would prefer to keep it that Way. Appointing himself to what seemed a relative Sinecure had seemed a good Idea at the Time, and, if nothing else, it would give him Time to adapt. This was a brave new World, and it had such People in it...

He moved next to examine the Food Preparation Area, which had its own Share of Filth (which was magically inserted into the Incinerator Chute with little Ceremony). There was a great Deal missing, from Cookware to Cutlery to China to Cookables, and Timothy had no real Idea of where to begin with that. Cookware and Cookables, most likely, and then the Apparatuses used for Cooking themselves. They appeared to be at least theoretically functional, but there was no Power to them, and that would have to be addressed. The electric Larder was also thawed, so perhaps Cookables ought to come after the Apparatus to house them was ready, so he set about checking Things with his Pad...

Restoring Power to the Electric Larder was surprisingly easy, though according to the Pad, it would take it some Hours to get cold, but some Magic made it so directly. Next, there was the Stove, which had various Dials which apparently controlled the Temperature and whatnot. These, he was not entirely sure that he understood. He tried turning one, and it made a foul-smelling Gas, but no Heat. He very quickly turned it off and magically waved the vile Odour away. It smelt of rotten Eggs. Perhaps there was something rotten somewhere in the Stove? He tried making Magic to remove whatever rotten Thing was producing the Smell it, but nothing came. He tried another Knob, and ended up turning it far enough that it clicked, and then made a little blue Fire. That was novel — he had only ever seen Wood-burning or electric Stoves before — and the Fire was warm enough. He tried the first Knob again, and found that, if he turned it far enough, the Thing would click and make Fire as the other did. He tried all four of them, but that made it rather hot, so he very quickly switched them all off, which extinguished the Fires directly. Nothing seemed to happen when he tried the bigger Knob, but then he saw that there was a Door below, and when he opened it, found a very hot Oven. Through a Hole in the Bottom, he saw what he imagined must be more Fire. It went out when he switched off the large Knob.

'Strange Things seem to be a matter of Course now,' he said to himself. 'I suppose I get used to them, however. I am here some Time, so I had best make myself comfortable. It would probably be good to actually learn how to cook, too, but I somehow doubt that anybody is going to wish me to cook anything with the fancy Machines about that make any Food you could wish at once... Better safe than sorry, though.'

To begin his Study of Cooking, Timothy turned up to his Pad, and, after searching through the Rectangles, managed to get a Cookery Book to come up, which he began studying directly.

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2014, 01:45 

Medals: 4
Best Artist (2) Absentee (2)
[From the Bridge]

"You'll wanna be careful with that gas." said Raine from the doorway. She'd nearly walked straight into the room a minute or so earlier, but decided to hold back and observe Timothy's searching about. "It's a wonder they're still using such outdated tech on this ship, I mean, what with the replicators it's a wonder there's a kitchen here at all." She walked into the room now, and took a look about herself. "I guess it's more for the feel than anything else, right? Like, a weird kind of nostalgia. You'd miss out on a lot of chatter if everyone just ate in their rooms all the time, so a place for the crew to congregate and eat makes sense, and I guess that with a ship like this, home-cooked meals would really make the heart grow quite fond." She seemed to be a lot more relaxed now than she had on the bridge, and in the mood to talk a fair deal. "Good job cleaning up by the by. I heard this room was a bit of a tip earlier."

Raine found her way to a chair beside one of the tables nearer the middle of the room, pulled the chair out and turned it about before sitting down on it. From here she could see most of the room, and her attention was, for the most part, on Timothy.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2014, 02:50 
Veteran

Timothy looked up from his Reading. He had been looking over a Recipe for Bell Peppers and Beef, which looked easy enough.

'I never saw Gas like it before,' he said. 'Stoves were always Electric, or burnt Wood, as far as I know. Its Smell is repugnant, but it seems to make Heat enough. Do you wish me to cook something for you?'

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2014, 07:06 

"It's made to smell that bad on purpose, especially for species with bad noses. The stuff if pretty easy to ignite, so there needs to be a way to tell if there's a leak. Makes sense, right?" Raine cocked her head a little, finding it odd that the big man wouldn't know these things, though she could understand that he simply must not have been exposed to them wherever it was that he came from. "Sure, if you're cooking." She added in response, smiling broadly at the prospect of food. "I'm never one to turn down a good meal."

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2014, 11:15 
Veteran

Timothy nodded when Raine told him why the Gas was so offensive. He was a little surprised when she took him up on his Offer, but it would be good Practice.

'Give me one Minute,' he said, and then he took a Drop of Time from himself, went back to his Room to use the Replicator, and then came back a little less than exactly a Minute later with his Arms full of Bags of what were presumably Utensils and Ingredients.

'I think this should be everything.'

Timothy laid his Bags on the Counter, and took from one a Fry-Wok, and Spoon, and a rather comically large Knife, and from another several Containers of Things in various Languages, several of which had Chinese Characters on them, and from yet another several green Bell Peppers and a good Quantity of raw Beef. Next, he turned to his Pad and began to read the Recipe, which he followed with rather excessive Preciseness: first, there was putting the Oil into the Wok and adding a Spoonful of Ginger and Garlic, and he was very careful about putting them in in perfectly equal Measure, and then heating it up. He turned the blue Fire on for that, and then laid out the Beef on a Cutting Board from yet another Bag and started slicing through all of it at once. He applied rather too much force, and cut the Cutting Board itself, but managed to stop before cutting completely through the Counter, but switched to a somewhat smaller Knife and managed better after (though the Cutting Board did get several rather deep Gashes before he was done).

The Garlic and Ginger needed to be removed from the Wok, but that was done easily enough with Magic. He simply tossed it into the Sink, and then added the Beef, which bubbled quite ferociously; before he could Magic to keep the Bubbling contained to the Pan, a drop of hot Oil hit him on the Wrist, and he rather instinctively mended it and made a Note to put Magic on the Wok before adding the Beef next Time. It cooked quite quickly, so Timothy rather hurriedly turned to the Peppers, and also got some Onions out of another Bag. Rather than using the Knife, he waved his Hand over them, and they all fell cut to pieces. He also magically removed the Seeds and the undesirable Parts of the Onion before throwing them in. It all sizzled and smelt rather strongly, and he watched interestedly as the Vegetables changed while they Cooked.

At the End, he poured off a good Deal of the leftover Oil and took some pre-cooked Noodles from a Bag and added them in with some Water and stirred them about for a Minute or so, until most of the Water was vapourised. It looked enough like the Picture in the Cookery Book then, he supposed, and there were no further Steps to follow, so he extinguished the little Fire and looked at Raine.

'I think it's done,' he said.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2014, 16:50 

Raine had been watching intently, her appetite growing in conjunction with the rising aroma. She was grinning almost wolfishly as Timothy turned to tell her it was finished.

"Mmmm, that smells great, looks pretty good too." She said, standing up from her seat and moving to one closer to the kitchen, so that she could see it more closely. She didn't really need to move closer, really, but the smell was stronger, and it was nicer near the heat of the cooker. She was really beginning to see the appeal of large kitchens. "Did you make enough for yourself too big guy?" she asked, still beaming.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2014, 17:20 
Veteran

'I should hope so,' Timothy answered; he showed Raine that the Fry-Wok was quite full before he took two Plates from one of his Bags and divided it evenly between them, into two sizable Mounds: one, he presented to her alongside a Fork, and the other, he kept for himself.

'I hope it isn't too bad,' he said. He looked down at what he had made — it was not the prettiest Thing he had ever seen, but it was not burnt, and it smelt edible enough — and then sampled it. It was certainly not the best he had ever eaten, but it was certainly edible. He fetched some Fabric Napkins from yet another Bag and then took a Seat at the Table at which Raine had been sitting.

'Won't do to let it get cold,' he said, and then he started eating. Though he spilt none, he did eat surprisingly quickly.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2014, 05:06 

"Agreed." Raine nodded, having taken the plate and fork, set them in front of her, and promptly began stuffing her face. She also managed to avoid spilling any, but gave Timothy a run for his money concerning the speed at which she practically inhaled the food. She did eat slowly at first, granted, when she was interested in the taste and texture of the meal's components, but once satisfied with the quality, she immediately concerned herself with the quantity, and attacked the plate ferociously.

Once the solid food had been cleared from the plate, she put the fork down without pausing to take a breath and readily picked up the plate, beginning to lick it clean. She did pause after a moment, catching herself and looking up at Timothy with the slightest hint of anxiety betrayed in her eyes. Only for a moment though, as she scowled to hide it quite successfully.

"Don't judge me." She said before finishing the job, and returning the plate carefully to the table, satisfied by the meal. She wasn't one for judging a meal by its looks, she was an omnivore of the truest sense after all. She'd eaten a large variety of interesting and sometimes disgusting things before without so much as a second thought, but she had to admit that it was a very pleasant meal to eat. She'd never eaten peppers cooked in this style, and had tried fried beef only once or twice, but she had to admit that she was quite fond of it. The meal somewhat reminded her of how Syn used to cook field rations in various an interesting ways the few times they had worked together in the past, though she tried not to think too heavily on those memories. They'd only make her angry now.

"Not bad, Chef." She smiled a little crookedly, almost as though teasing. "You can make that one again anytime."

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2014, 11:11 
Veteran

Timothy smiled a little at how quickly Raine ate what he had made. She finished a little before him, and then began to lick the Plate, which made him snicker a Bit. He wondered for a Moment if she were about to eat it, or spit some Kind of Acid on it to dissolve it, but he could always get more Plates if she liked to eat them, he supposed, and it was not a particularly fine one. She looked a little anxiously at him for a Moment, but then went back to her Licking. He finished eating a Bit before Raine finished licking, at which he asked, 'Do you mean to eat the Plate?', which she answered by telling him not to judge her. He shrugged and watched her go about licking it clear.

He was secretly very pleased when she said that it was 'Not bad', but imagined that Raine was not terribly difficult to please as far as Food was concerned.

'Do you want anything else?' he asked. 'There's some Tea and a Kettle in one of the Bags — I think I might like some myself — and also Cookies, if you want something sweet.'

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2014, 20:07 

"Plates aren't particularly nutritious anyways." Raine snorted lowly, as something of an aside. "I think I might pass on the tea, but I do like sweet things." She said, perking up a little visibly. Sugar was something best reserved for a treat, after all.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2014, 20:48 
Veteran

Timothy nodded and got up. He took the Plates back to the Kitchen with him and laid them in the Sink. They could be dealt with later. Next, he fished about in one of the Bags and brought out a Box of Tea, a Kettle, and a big Bag of Sugar. He filled the Kettle with Water and took a small Pouch from the Box of Tea and tossed it in. He did not bother to ignite a blue Flame this Time, but rather tapped the Kettle and whispered something which sounded like, 'Boil!', and the Kettle started whistling, but it died down quite quickly. He took a Bag of Cookies from another, and opened it and dumped the whole of the Contents onto a Plate, over which he waved his Hand to put them in a better Order. They were big, soft ones made of something rather Coarse — perhaps Oatmeal — and had varied Lumps of sweet Things interspersed. He also got a very large Mug from yet another Bag, and walked over to the Table with the Cookies and the Bag of Sugar. When he sat down, he made Magic to fetch the Kettle after he had laid the Plate between himself and Raine, poured himself a Cup of Tea, and magically added Sugar and made the Liquid stir itself.

'How do they look?' he asked while taking a Cookie. After a Bite, he found that the Lumps in that one were Raisins. It went very nicely with the Tea.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2014, 00:26 

"They look tasty." Raine nodded, smiling lightly at the treats. She reached for one and took a bite, smiling a little wider at the taste. Very tasty.

"So, do you use magic like that for everything then?" She asked, looking up after a rather larger second bite.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2014, 09:37 
Veteran

'I don't suppose I really think about all the Things for which I use it,' Timothy answered; he was rather amused by how big Raine's Bites were because she looked a rather small Person. 'It is not a novel Thing in my own World, though I can do a few Things that most People do not know. I use it to make Tea rather frequently, but many People do that...'

He paused a Moment to finish his present Cookie, took another, and went on, 'Do you want a Magic for something?' before he started eating it.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2014, 23:31 

"Nah, I can do fine without any hocus-pocus." Raine shook her head a little, finishing her own cookie quite quickly and reaching for another without hesitation. "I was just curious is all. It strikes me as odd that, for example, the whole idea of having a kitchen in a place like this would be to get people together, and enjoy good, hand-made food, rather than the stuff that the replicators can pump out. Using magic to do things for you just seems, well, a little odd to me." She looked quite thoughtful as she sank her teeth into her second cookie. "I suppose it's more natural for you, given that it's your magic, and that it'd be commonplace wherever it is you're from, but still, just strikes me as odd."

The second cookie lasted no longer than the first.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2014, 23:41 
Veteran

'Hocus-Pocus?' Timothy asked, confusedly. 'Is that something like my Magic from your World, or at least from Works of Fiction from it? I own I know rather little about whence anybody aboard this Ship is come; what is your World like?'

Timothy leant forwards a little and looked very curious when he asked his last Question, and started on his next Cookie while he waited for Raine to answer.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2014, 03:18 

"Hmm, hocus pocus is just another word for magic. I guess it's a little mean, actually, it's usually used to describe magic that isn't taken very seriously. In cultures where magic isn't common, or even where it doesn't actually exist at all, 'magic' and 'showmanship' are often one and the same... It's a weird concept to explain, I guess, and I don't think I'd do it much justice. Just take a look at Street Magicians sometime when you're bored, that'll probably do a better job."

Raine reached for a third cookie and took a smaller nibble, thinking before she started talking again.

"My world... well, I guess I don't really have one. I grew up on the Tyran Hybrid Fleet's flagship, the Behemoth. I mean, there are plenty of 'homeworlds' that fall under the fleet's jurisdiction that I've visited and spent a number of years on, but the Behemoth is the place I've always thought of as home. My race also isn't really the kind to have a planet of their own, I guess? Sorry, I don't mean to sound so evasive, it's just that we Tyrans just kind of terraform new worlds, rather than having come from one. Each one is pretty different, we try to change them to fit certain purposes, like some parts of a planet will be altered to provide housing, another for a place to generate enough food and energy to keep the world working independently, and then some space for research. There's always research going on, everywhere." She caught herself talking somewhat quickly and stopped somewhat abruptly, taking another nibble of the cookie. "And now I'm blabbering, which must be boring. So what's your world like big guy?"