All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: The Hunter's Realm
PostPosted: 02 May 2011, 03:33 
Dino

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
As someone who is pretty unfamiliar with most of the old Realm stuff I'd be very interested to see a profile of Alren and some more detailed backstories.

PostPosted: 02 May 2011, 11:36 

Medals: 1
L Award (1)
Yeah. I was trying to avoid spoilers(yes Zeth, River Song does use that word) in Richard's profile, but the old Realm was so chaotic that some of the revelations might seem to come from left field at best. I figure at this point I ought to update his profile.

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2011, 19:03 

Medals: 4
Best Artist (2) Absentee (2)
So while I'm working over Jayge and Raine's profiles in my head, I've also been working out the finer-ish points of just how the Human-Tyranid/Metroid hybrids work. Would it be worth posting up a possibly long-winded runthrough up here (or in the reference topic), or would it be better to just leave it for explaining within the plot?
And yes, if my oh-so-reliable attempts at masterminding work out, there will indeed be at least one or two opportunities for such a thing to be explained...in length...bwuhahaha!!

As someone who really enjoys contractions: It's what it's.

Also I make games sometimes!

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2011, 11:10 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
It'd certainly be good to have some idea of how they work. I personally don't mind how that comes about. Since Keris had never met any of these people before she arrived on the Realm, she naturally has no idea about their physiology, so I don't need the info for RPing purposes, but it'd be nice to find out about it eventually. So from my point of view, having it come out gradually in the plot would be perfectly acceptable.

On the topic of information, I'm finding it increasingly hard to RP in the current situation with no idea at all about where the different parts of the Realm are in relation to each other (especially as Keris has a map, and so should be able to find her way around to some extent, despite the dimensionally transcendental nature of the ship). Until Zeth is able to finish his maps, is there any general info about roughly what's where? (For instance, which direction from Fuel Storage would have the most areas that the party haven't already been through, and would such a direction take the search party near the library to run into Viral?)

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2011, 09:16 

I could try and whip up a veryveryvery rough area plan from that kickass sprite up thar, but it would literally be that sprite blacked out and carved up with little white lines, and some text overlayed onto it saying what each section is. 'Course, I never did know which bits were where anyways xD; so I couldn't really do more than guess and apply my own somewhat lacking form of logic to it...

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2011, 15:56 

L Award (1)
The ship is approximately 1000m/333m on the outside, and bigger on the inside. Logically, on an assumed walking pace, it would take about twenty minutes to reach one side from another, going by outside dimensions. Due to the increased size on the inside, coupled with the 25 odd floors, it would take several hours to a day to scour the entire ship room by room. My best guess is that much of the space is taken up by the larger rooms (the two hangar bays, the shooting range, and the weapons depot, both of which being titanically large rooms) though really, most of it is likely individual rooms serving alternatively as either personal rooms or cells, depending on furnishings and which way the locks are programmed to work. At any rate, the current group likely hasn't explored a fraction of the ship, which is where the sensors gaps come in. It means we only have to search selected areas.

That said, getting from one part of the ship to another is much faster than it would be otherwise, due to the unstable dimensions of the ship. if you know where you are going specifically, the correct answer is that everywhere is near everywhere else, when it needs to be. Of course, the searching will still be a bit long just because of the multiple locations and the newness of this fact.

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2012, 17:51 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Newcomer (1) Most Serious (1) The Merger Contest (1)
I am guessing this is the next Answer to the Treasure Hunt.

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2012, 19:51 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
You guessed correct!

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2012, 21:49 
Veteran

Well, colour me Surprised; and alas, my Erring Streak is broken.

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

Post subject: + Moderator Oversight
PostPosted: 13 Apr 2012, 13:25 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Hokay Realmers: we're making a slight adjustment to the system to keep things running smoothly and continually.
It's struck me that since this iteration of the Realm is much more integrated and linear in the manner in which it progresses, but lacks the freedom of character-swapping and familiarity that the old Realm had, the primary reason that it stalls out when it does isn't so much that interest is gone but that we often get stuck waiting on one person to take the next step but they're necessitated to be gone for a while for whatever reason. Then somebody else is busy and schedules start getting weird and we never resync (which is weird because this whole setup is on a forum where you can post whenever, but at the same time, we end up co-ordinating independently via PMs and IMs and whatnot--it'd make an interesting sociology study, I think) and it stalls out.

Well I'm out to fix that.

Naturally, I realise that some people probably have lost interest--grown out of the Realm or what have you--and it would be silly of me to expect to force them back into playing the game or to simply takeover their characters (which I personally see as their 'property' unless they offer them to someone or the characters have a history of being handled by multiple participants).

So here's what's going on.

Chaz, having probably the most extensive and deep knowledge of Realm lore aside from DH and having been promoted to Moderator, is being made primarily responsible for 'picking up the slack' so to speak when it's really necessary that one or another character's input is required to continue he plot. He'll take a light hand in auto'ing character actions when they're holding up the flow of the story for too much time (how much is mostly his discretion; it's not exactly an exact science sort of thing). It was preferred that he be a mod to handle this so that if it's really necessary he can make light edits in past posts to keep things linear and continuous.

I will be playing much the same role; Chaz and I keeping this system tweak going when one or the other of us ourselves need be absent for a while.

It should be noted that the actions we take will be primarily undertaken with the intent to remove the affected character(s) from the action, not make their participants' decisions for them or to kill them off.

Unless such is, like, you know, unavoidable.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2012, 12:31 

So Zeth and I have been talking about putting together a pin-up calender for the Realm, using everyone's Realm characters as the models, and including some interesting dates, such as character birthdays and important things that may or may not be plot relevant. Hopefully this will be hilarious fun.

Ideas so far:

-Richard in EVERY month, doing something random.
-Most characters in swimwear, either being sexy, silly, or both. Preferably both.
-Perhaps a short character bio on the page, covering favourite foods, height, weight, and all that silly stuff.
-Cassius in a cowboy hat. Also, the Realm gets a pool once we're done with it.
-Shaina's frat-boy moment.
-Christmas group-shot. Lots of red and green. Also, cake*.
-LOTS of procrastination on my part :D

So, any ideas from our lovely audience? Also, who wants which months? I have no idea how to decide who gets what xD;

*cake may or may not be of falsified existence.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2012, 17:53 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Ethan was telling me about this earlier. I LOVE the idea! (Especially his idea of having Cassius in a cowboy hat, sunglasses and almost nothing else. :P) I was also amused by the suggestion of having Keris in the middle of the year, between months, standing here fully clothed, not taking any part in it at all, and looking disapproving. Though, since the centrefold picture is usually double size I do feel maybe it should be devoted to a more influential character. (Shaina's possibly soon to become iconic bum in the air underwear pose?). Actually, I was thinking afterwards that, even though it would suit Keris' character (at least in the present state of her relationship with the others) to want no part of it and stand there fully clothed, it might be quite fun to have her wearing something entirely inappropriate and be looking really cross about having to do it.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2012, 21:26 

L Award (1)
I'm assuming that Jayge will be drawing. Honestly, While the idea of a Cheesecake style calendar amuses me, I'm probably more amused by just having the Realmers in Iconic situations. Like Keris being Tsundere over the Hamburger will probably stick in my mind for quite a while.

Admittedly, Some of these moments being Cheesecakey notwithstanding. Like Shaina.

Also, The Richard sprites are designed with him gradually loosing clothes...

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2012, 22:16 
Administrator

The more I think about it, the more I kinda like the iconic scene portrayal too. Maybe we could shift from the pinup calendar to something more like character spotlights, which would incorporate a bunch of character data like Jayge mentioned at the outset. Here, take a look at what Girl On The Moon does for Search For The Truth for an example of what I'm thinking:
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/192/c/f/sftt__drax_by_girl_on_the_moon-d56ttuc.png
Obviously we'd probably enlarge the picture area since Jayge's art is the focus.

The pinup deal could be an optional extra as Jayge thinks up scenes, maybe? I mean clearly Shaina and Cassius would be easy, Keris and Tim would be too. But others not so much. It would be easier on Jayge too, this way, I'm thinking, since every time he got bored with or lost focus on or just needed a break from the character spotlights he could do one of the pinup scenes for fun in between.

Also, here's a good scene:
Quote:
Morgan Grey says (23:17)How would he react to being given a Chrysophyte and the Book about them?
Zeth Holt says (23:17)
Cassius loves plants
Morgan Grey says (23:17)
(It would tell him that Blue or White Light is best for them; most Elegine Lightbulbs are yellow.)
Zeth Holt says (23:18)
Takarans in general love plants
Remember I told you that?
Morgan Grey says (23:18)
They have something in common with Illyrians... I never thought I'd see the Day.
He'll probably have a room like a jungle
Morgan Grey says (23:18)
I see.
I picture in my mind a scene on a planet at some point in the future
Zeth Holt says (23:19)
Cassius and Tim bickering fiercely and then suddenly both stopping and rushing over to some unknown flower and fawning all over it together.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2012, 01:36 

L Award (1)
If we're going to do Individual Characters, I think we leave it to Jayge to dictate the theme of the calendar, be it Cheesecake or simple depictions. I do think that Richard in every month might be a bit too much. Perhaps, if he wanted, Cheesecake for the Main month pictures, and cute scenes in the gap before the first and after the end of the month.

Also, if everyone is that amused by the idea that it could be used as an actual plan, then perhaps a new thread.

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2012, 02:19 

I found the idea of Richard gradually losing clothes to be amusing xD Thinking on it realistically, this could be an utter monster of a project, depending on the size of the calender and what we want to put in it. I'm quite fond of the iconic scenes thing though, that could be massive fun :) Especially if we can figure out how to present each scene in a short web-comic style, or single frame.

What I think we need first is a list of exactly how many images/pages we want (that is, any in addition to the regular twelve months, front/back, and centerfold), then what we want to put in them. Once we have that, we can figure out how is best to portray them, then work out a staple layout for the actual calender.

Also, Takaren, Vulcan, and Illyrian holidays :D

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2012, 09:49 
Administrator

I've never actually thought about Takaran holidays...

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2012, 17:08 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
I checked the Star Trek sites and I don't think there are any canon Romulan ones either, though I'm sure I could make some up.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2012, 18:01 
Veteran

The Illyrians (and Elegines by extension) have a different Calendar (which is 420 Days), though they do have at least two Holidays, which resemble Christmas and Easter...

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2012, 07:50 

Hmmm ^^; maybe nevermind the holidays then.

Just so people are aware, I've just finished updating pretty much all of my character profiles. Some only have small changes, while others are quite noticeable. I've added a temp picture for Raine, and am working on finished pics for every character. Most of the changes are simple updates in terms of where I want to take the character's various storylines where I didn't quite know what I wanted to do with them beforehand, and won't have any real impact on how things are going for quite some time, and then some are simply me gearing up to have these characters take the Dromes seriously. The rest is me finally getting around to finalising the profiles ><;
No new abilities or anything that'll throw the plot, just some definitions and clarifications to make things easier on all sides. Hopefully.

Also, fixed the spacings in Wraith's profile :D

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2012, 10:23 
Administrator

You know, going back to the drawings and such, for practice, Jayge, you could try drawing an appearance image for each of the character profiles. If you wanted. It would certainly help get down the 'look'.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2012, 12:26 

Depends on what we mean by appearance image xD;

I could probably attempt full-body pics of the Realm characters, though it would take time. I'll give it some serious thought when I get back to the UK, I'm definitely going to be drawing my own characters, and will hopefully be able to put them up in colour once I'm back in Chelt, as my tablet is there at the girlfriend's place, though that won't be until early august ^^; So...pencil sketches are possible, but that's about it until then.

On the same note though, if people would like me to attempt drawing their characters, I'd certainly enjoy the practice. I would recommend that you search around for reference pics that can be used, as these speed things up remarkably, especially on smaller details. I may even try several different 'styles' and see which one works best for the realm...For some reason, I'm imagining a weird chibi-ish thing to be quite effective, though it may just be me looking for an easy way out.

At some point, I should probably settle on a distinctive style ><;

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2012, 15:59 
Veteran

I do like having my Characters drawn — that alone appeals to me greatly (as in, that alone would appeal to me even if there were nothing else attached; the other Things do, too).

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2012, 10:38 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
I usually try to draw my characters, even if I don't post the drawings - it helps to make them more real for me. But if you fancied drawing Keris (or either of my new ones when they appear), I'd be delighted; I love your drawing style.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2012, 14:17 

I'm happy to hear it :D I'll have to make this a summer project xD

On another note, I'm just about finished up with writing a 'guide to Tyran Hybrids', should anyone be interested in learning more about them, I'd be happy to either post it here or PM it to people. Be warned, it's a monster of a text wall.

I will be working on a similar thing for Metrid Hybrids, though those are far less likely to appear in the RP, as I never did manage to get the group I had prepared into the Realm back when it was running smoothly, and have since forgotten or lost almost everything related to them ><;

Also, if anyone can think of a better name for the half-Tyranid or half-Metroid characters then Tyran/Metran/Metrid, then please let me know. I've been trying to get the to move away from being 'Warhammer/Metroid OCs' and into actual OCs for an age now, with little success ><; Tyran/Metran are too obvious, and I while I can shift nearly everything else into non-referenced OC territory, I just can't come up with decent terms for them ><; Moving away from Metroids and Tyranids also gives me more freedom for certain characters. While the Tyranid thing I've got going at present is working just fine, for the most part, I really need to work on the Metroid side of things, especially as Frost is going to become very important in the (hopefully) not-so-distant future, and he needs a better backstory (among other things) than 'Bamph, I'm a metroid!'

I think that the best I have so far is 'Abaraneids' [[s]almost[/s] lit: ribbed insects] for the Tyranid Hybrids, a race of gene-altering reptile/insect creatures which are still far too close to Tyranids in my head for my liking, and 'Ixcite' for Metroid Hybrids, which is a tribal-like race of humanoid creatures with similar abilities and life cycles to the Metroids. Any ideas/Opinions?