All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: New Paradigm?
PostPosted: 16 Apr 2011, 12:55 
Administrator

Medals: 20
Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
So here's the deal. We're going to change up how we handle the Weavers. But only slightly. Basically, anyone can play any of the characters. (Which I think was brought up before, but didn't take hold. Now it's a rule.) This means if Mage disappears or whatever, then myself or Les could write for Wolf, or if I disappear then Mage or 1337 or Les could write for Ike, etcetera. You get the idea.

This is being done mostly so that the Weavers don't just curl up and die when I'm gone for more than a few days, since, as we can see, getting them going again isn't easy.
To help this process, anyone who's leading an RP will need to make sure they share their plans for the RP, in detail with at least two other people, so that those people can continue on in case of the leader's absence. I'll make sure to get a second person in on the plans for the Crucible stories asap, and I'll refresh Mage's memory on it as well.

So, why should there really be an interest in keeping the Weavers going at a steady pace anyway? I mean, we aren't in a rush, right?
Well, technically correct; there is no rush. But, as some are aware and some aren't so much...the Weavers have a tremendous amount of "stuff" in store for them. And by stuff, I mean stories, mostly. So many, in fact, that Mage and I have been talking in terms of years during our chats over canon--and that's if we're moving steadily.

We aren't moving steadily.
So I figured I'd share a little something--a kinda snapshot of the future.

At the moment, the Weavers have one RP/Story going on: Patefacio. Patefacio is the first story in what I've kinda dubbed the Crucible Trilogy--which you've read about before. The Crucible is only one small arc near the start of the first Mega-Arc for the Weavers. There are two of such Mega-Arcs ready to be told, with a third forming slowly. That's why it would take years to tell all there is to tell.

What I'm going to post next is the last scene from the last story in the second Mega-Arc. It's a sorta floating-point deal--more stories can always be put into the arcs before this scene occurs, pushing farther ahead. But the fact remains that if we don't keep moving, we'll never know the events surrounding the following scene. You'll never know why it happened, and so forth.

And for those of you angsty about spoilers: rest assured that the following is so isolated from current revealed stoof that pretty much all you could know about it are some of the characters. Not all of them, at that.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2011, 12:56 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
A green light blinked off on a familiar nearby console, and a palpable silence fell over the room.

Icarus stood, partly suspended in the air, still wholly under the arch save its hands and head, which clenched Wolf's own hands and peered at her with a sort of walking-dead desperation, respectively.

“Oh...â€

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2011, 16:45 
Veteran

Medals: 1
Funniest (1)
So how would this new system affect the autoing rule? And, since this RP seems to have a storyline, how would you implement that storyline if anyone can play anybody? And how would we who know not the great plans laid forth act in such a world? It seems like we couldn't really do anything important, unless told to.

Also, I'd just like to say that I totally called that Wolf's name was [##########].

Living in the limelight, the universal dream for those who wish to seem.
Those who wish to be must put aside the alienation,
Get on with the fascination,
The real relation,
The underlying theme.

The World From Here

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2011, 18:16 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Experiment 1337 wrote:
So how would this new system affect the autoing rule? And, since this RP seems to have a storyline, how would you implement that storyline if anyone can play anybody?
Well, Zeth did say that RP leaders need to share their plans for the RP with at least 2 other people, so presumably only people who know how the story is supposed to progress would be autoing a character that is controlling the development of the story. (We've had a similar situation on Mercury, where someone started an RP and then disappeared from the forum, but he'd told me what his basic ideas were. No-one's been autoing his character, since the character hadn't taken on a major role, but I've been making sure the RP kept going in the right general direction, both through my character's actions, and through discussion with the person whose character ended up being the party leader. If it did become necessary to auto the original leader's character, either of us would be in a position to do so.) Presumably those in the know could ask other participants to auto certain characters, and give guidelines about any requirements, or people whose characters interact with the character of a missing participant could auto that character's interaction with their own.

I think the proposal sounds pretty workable, and I'm very much in favour of it to help to reduce the likelihood of RPs stalling.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2011, 22:07 
Administrator

Experiment 1337 wrote:
So how would this new system affect the autoing rule?
Well, basically autoing just got souped up. Anybody could auto anybody if there's a reason to. Thing of it now as, instead of writing a story with different people writing for different characters, they're now writing in segments that may or may not include all the characters.
Quote:
And, since this RP seems to have a storyline, how would you implement that storyline if anyone can play anybody? And how would we who know not the great plans laid forth act in such a world? It seems like we couldn't really do anything important, unless told to.

See Dino's post, pretty much. Anybody can play anybody if they need to do so. They aren't necessitated to do so. And, as Les mentioned, there'll be more people who know what's going on, so, for example, if I disappear, Mage could keep the story pointed in the right direction. If Mage and I both disappeared, Dino could do so. Or it could be Mage is leading, and then you and then me, and so on and so forth.

Trust me, it'll make more sense once I get Patefacio moving again and start demonstrating it. In addition, something that ocurred to me more recently is to utilise the OoC thread more. Perhaps whoever's leading could just post in the OoC saying, "Ok, we need to work toward accomplishing X," and then all the players will know what to write for a certain stretch of time, and then the leader can post a big detail or event and then post in the OoC thread again. Making sense?
Quote:
Also, I'd just like to say that I totally called that Wolf's name was [##########].

How have you been pronouncing that? I've been pronouncing it as "bracketHSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHbracket".

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2011, 07:22 
Veteran

Medals: 1
Funniest (1)
Alright. That cleared it up. Thanks.

And yes, it's "bracketHSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHbracket".

Living in the limelight, the universal dream for those who wish to seem.
Those who wish to be must put aside the alienation,
Get on with the fascination,
The real relation,
The underlying theme.

The World From Here

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2011, 11:38 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
I do actually know what Wolf's full name is (was?). I'm just being a jerk and refusing to tell you all.

Zeth wrote:
if I disappear, Mage could keep the story pointed in the right direction. If Mage and I both disappeared, Dino could do so.

If everybody disappears, check the obituaries and hide in your basement.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2011, 13:09 
Administrator

And who will we call for help?

Screaming "bracketHSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHbracket" really loud just sounds funny.