All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Patefacio
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2011, 01:06 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
Wolf did a double take, her attention skipping away from the street below before she realized what she had seen. Her beta was waving at them.

"Really miss telemics," she muttered under her breath. To Icarus and Ute she said, "Going down now."

She felt Ike tighten his grip around her shoulders as she stepped off the roof and hovered down to the ground. It was always a strange feeling. Like falling, but...not.

Wolf touched ground and let Icarus scramble down off her back as she nodded to Iggy. "You've got something, then?"

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2011, 12:06 
Dino

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
As soon as Wolf left the rooftop, Icarus clinging to her shoulders, Ute made a quick estimation of the distance to their colleagues down below and disappeared from sight. As before, she arrived before her leader. She took the few seconds of waiting to step over to Kate.

"Are you ok?" she asked, concerned that this might all be too much for the girl so soon after her traumatic crossover.

Kate nodded and smiled shyly. "Everything's been so strange. I don't know what to think. It's all very scary. And I've never seen people like you before - who can... do things."

She paused and glanced at Iggy, standing beside her, and then across at Wolf, who was just reaching the ground.

"But I must find my brothers. I'm so worried about them! I'll cope - for their sakes."

Ute nodded in understanding, then looked enquiringly at Iggy. She was as interested as Wolf to know what Herr Ward had to say to them

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2011, 18:12 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
Ignatius didn't return the nod, though not in a rude way; it just wasn't something he did when there was work to do.

"We will never locate the brothers in this fashion." The others only looked at him blankly for a moment before he continued, "Observation and deduction to this point have led me to conclude that this society is advanced enough to notice their presence regardless of any crossover effects on perception, but also that they will never be taken as anything other than eccentric but not unusual members of the society."

Icarus cocked his head to one side, gazing through lidded eyes behind his sunglasses in a dubious manner, "Objection, Herr Forehead! Present evidence."

Ignatius complied without acknowledgement, "This city is very clean, though highly and densely populated. The population is entirely human, though, by confirmation," he indicated Kate with a gesture of his hand, "this is not Earth or Terra. However, as I've observed from the streets and underpass, the society here is very technologically advanced, to the point that visually evident genetic manipulation after birth is both possible and readily available. I can only conclude that this is why no individual we've passed by have noticed Kate. If they have taken no special notice of Kate, then why should we expect they will of be of any help in indicating the location of her brothers?"

Icarus wagged a finger over the scruffy bit of dirty-blond goatee on his chin thoughtfully. "She described them as half crazy," he looked to Kate, who nodded emphatically. "People tend to notice people doing crazy bizarre crap. I know." Icarus pulled his sunglasses down just a hair and winked.

"By definition, insanity is rarely predictable," retorted Ignatius, without missing a beat. "We should not rely on that to be a necessary indicating factor. Additionally, Midgard is quite large. Given they could be anywhere--assuming they haven't actually found a way out of the city in the first place--by the time we arrive at the location of their noticeable acts, it may be that none of the witnesses present to those acts remain at that location. Or they've been removed by authorities."

Ignatius next indicated Icarus, "You are currently accessing their satellite map systems?"

"Yeah."

"Is there any way we could simply utilise what monitoring equipment Asgard and Midgard already have established to locate the brothers?"

Icarus held up his left wrist, which had the hackwatch on it at the moment--he swtiched fairly often-- and looked at it, again, thoughtfully. "Well if we just wanted to literally look, with out eyes, I doubt that'd be a problem, though it might hbe even more disadvantageous than what we're doing now. For anything more advanced though, I'll need some great support than this little watch. It's a miracle worker for sure, but this Asgard is pretty...advanced. I mean come on," Icarus held open a hand toward a passerby on the opposite side of a moderately busy street, almost knocking another passerby in the face. The second passerby gave Icarus a scorching look, but kept on her way without a word. Icarus ignored her and continued, "The watch intercepted a passive collection scan from that guy over there, and in return he activated four overhead sprayer nozzles that marked him with an invisible radio-substance. I bet if I checked the common channels right now I'd see that few cops are on their way to arrest him right now. And nobody else has realised this."

Kate looked Icarus with an expression perfectly between dumb, amazed, and concerned. Iggy raised an eyebrow.

"I do not understand how you could have known all that from one passive collection scan."

Icarus repeated his tilting down of his glasses and winking, "You're not the only observant one, yo." He abruptly replaced the sunglasses and folded his arms across his chest, turning his head away from the group with mock arrogance, "In any case, if you guys wanna throw some extra computing power at me, I bet I can find these guys with a little'o'miltech magic up above."

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2011, 19:55 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Kate looked at him quizzically.

"How much computing power?" she asked uncertainly. "Would this help you?"

From a pocket she pulled out a small rectangular device and handed it to Icarus. Then, suddenly realising that these people had equipment that was totally different from anything she knew, and so might not recognise hers, she added, "It's my public network access terminal. But it's a computer in its own right too. Or there's the computer system for the apartment block - that's quite powerful. I could take you to my home, if you want to access that. But you'd have to know how to hack into it. Only the residence co-ordinator is supposed to use it."

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2011, 17:09 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Icarus contemplated for just a moment. Given the apparent sophistication and integration of technology in this Midgard, it was reasonable to assume that the apartment block would in fact be able to provide said vague "computing power." And on top of that--if it connected to the device that Kate had just produced, no matter where Kate was located--and Icarus bet it could--then it should easily be able to communicate with a sat. It was just a matter of breaking and entering.

"Righto then, the apartment block mainframe!" Icarus twirled exitedly about on his right heel while simultaneously putting a mockingly thoughtful hand to his scruffy chin-hair again, "Make it so." He spun around again to resume facing Kate and the others, and then leaned over dramatically to look at Kate closely in the face, causing her to lean away just a tad, probably taken aback at the invasion of personal space, "And would you mind if, on the way there, I take a little look at your portable terminal?"

Kate clenched her hand about the device, though her unsure expression did not betray any fear or anger of any sort, "I'd rather hold onto it, to be honest. Each person has their own person device. Lots of security and personal information on it, you understand..."

Icarus pulled back abruptly, "Well snap. Righty then, just lead the way then," he offered a sheepish smile and scratched the back of his head, "that is, if everyone else is ready to go; Wolf?"

"Don't worry, we're actually not too far away from home," Kate assured Icarus and Wolf before Wolf responded.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2011, 20:16 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Kate immediately tapped her terminal, dragged a finger across it, and then tapped it a couple of times more.

"Ah, there's a free cab on the next street," she remarked, and then tapped the device twice again.

She looked up at Icarus and then Wolf. "This'll be quicker than walking."

She looked along the street to the next intersection and a few seconds later the vehicle that she'd been looking out for came into view around the corner. The bright red, driverless car stood out amongst the rather more subdued colours of most of the rest of the traffic. As it approached the group it pulled out of the traffic stream and came to a halt by the kerb, level with Kate. Doors slid open and Kate climbed in, inviting the others to join her.

"Six people, Building 36, Block 19, Upper Park Street, she announced to the car's guidance system.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2011, 23:24 
Veteran

"Quicker than walking," Wolf muttered under her breath as the bizarre little group piled into the car. "Only the way you do it."

She couldn't honestly say that she was in any way happy about the situation. Odd enough already and now here was a girl who was, effectively, a complete stranger, leading them into an utterly unsecured vehicle to go to who knew where. Wolf had always been rather dubious about getting into cars that hadn't been thoroughly checked over, although granted, Wolf's idea of thoroughly checking a car over was to dismantle it and then put it back together using pieces of other cars. She was not particularly encouraged by the fact that the car had no driver, either. Such things could be hacked.

But she didn't see that they had another choice, at the time-and time was of the essence here- so with a heavy internal sigh she slid into the car after the others. It was somewhat cramped inside, which only made Wolf more uncomfortable. She watched the city speeding by, arms around her folded knees.

Icarus had better pull through, she thought grimly. Or no quesadillas for him.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2011, 08:14 
Administrator

Icarus hurriedly made his way around the car to the vestigial driver's seat--on the left side of the vehicle, American style,--with comically stiff limbs. Not that he honestly expected anyone to challenge him on the front--if anything untoward went down, they were going to need someone who could crack the automatic driving system and do a good job driving.

Well, could drive, anyway.

The others piled into the car clown-style, but there still wasn't room for Ignatius to climb in after the other five had crammed in.

"Ng, this isn't going to work," Hasbro said, pulling his arm out from being pinned between his body and the passenger door behind the driver's seat.

Wolf turned around from her position in the front passenger's seat. Kate was in the middle, leaning forward almost to the front of the cab, making room for Hasbro on one side and Ute on the other. She nodded once and started to get out, unexpectedly losing her balance and grabbing the roof of the car to steady herself as she made to do so. "Oh, huh. Mm, it's ok, take my seat Iggy. I can...keep up..."

"No, I'll get out," Kate objected, starting to climb over Ute.

Icarus blinked and shook his head, like something was in his eye. "Shouldn't you kinda be showing us where...to go?" Ignatius was the first to realised what was happening, and started pulling Wolf out of the car, but was stopped suddenly from behind by a pair of hands marbled like Kate's, and another pair brought a hypospray-type of tool to his neck, which sounded a small hiss. Iggy was out before Wolf managed to tumble out of the car and faceplant on the sidewalk. Kate pushed Ute's leg out of the way and tripped a bit on her own way out of the car. She looked back at the car with a cold, expressionless gaze, where suddenly, all the Weavers were snoozing.

"Put him next to Ute." She ordered the other two who had appeared from nowhere. One was a bit tall, but stockily built, like a light-armour tank of a man. His short, scruffy hair was black and his skin was white with black marble-veins like Kate's, as was the other man's, whose hair had gone white, and was about as tall as the other man, but was lanky and gaunt. The heavier one pushed Ute to the centre of the back bench seat, while lanky hefted Iggy up with strength greater than he should have had, and then deposited him next to Ute per Kate's instruction. Iggy's head rolled to the side, coming to a rest on Ute's shoulder as Kate herself picked Wolf up and settled her back in her seat. From behind the three, at least one or two bystanders were looking on curiously.

"It's what happens when you're drinking lace all night, right folks?" Lanky said to the on-lookers as he closed Iggy's door, who shied away at being addressed. If there was ever a standard amongst universes, it was that in big cities, you just didn't weight yourself down with other people's problems.

Kate ducked into the cab again, "Correction: five people, Building 36, Block 19, Upper Park Street," she confirmed, then closed Wolf's door.

PostPosted: 12 May 2011, 22:39 
Veteran

It was an odd thing, but the first emotion that followed consciousness into the light was not fear or anger so much as embarrassment. Wolf had spent her life running in and out of situations that threatened loss of many things, including limb and life. After a time, the apprehension of it had worn off, replaced by an almost adolescent belief in one's own immortality. But Wolf had always expected-or at least hoped-that when, in the taking of her life the old Weaver crew was finally gone forever, it would go done with energy and battle and many casualties on the other side. Even before she opened her eyes, she knew that the only reason she was alive now was because for whatever reason, her captor had decided that it should be so, and that brought with it a twitch of aggravated shame.

Unless of course she wasn't alive, in which case the afterlife was proving to be a very disappointing place.

Reluctantly she cracked open an eyelid, surveying her surroundings through an irritated slit. Her immediate impression was of a cold and sterile room, which did not surprise her at all. She was restrained to what appeared to be an operating table of some kind, never a good way to wake up. The room around her hummed quietly with the noise of several machines going about their work.

Raising her head up as much as her restraints were allowed, she glanced around the room. The rest of her team appeared to be equally bound down on a row of identical tables, though she was the only one awake as yet. On the other side of the room the wall was hidden behind several large glass tubes, in which vague human shapes floated in stasis.

"Whelp," Wolf muttered, letting her head fall back down on the cold surface of the table, "this can't be good."

PostPosted: 12 May 2011, 23:04 
Administrator

"A correct assumption. Though it goes without saying that you haven't need of me to confirm that." A smooth, low, feminine voice came from behind Wolf and to the side, where should couldn't see. A woman, presumably the owner of the voice, strode suddenly into view and stopped abruptly at Wolf's table's side, placing her hands gently on the side, and smiling.

It wasn't a very nice smile.

"It will not be getting any better either." The woman had thick, voluminous, jet-black hair that framed a bronze-skinned face that, admittedly, was very pretty, though it was marked by a hard expression. A curious expression that Wolf had trouble reading. Something between malice and intense pleasure. She turned her head, though she didn't take her stabbingly intense green eyes from off of Wolf. "Kate. You, Matthew and Brody move all of them except Icarus to the individual cells." She turned her head to address Wolf again, "Now that you'll be waking up, we don't need you observing anything, nor communicating any plans."

She looked over as Kate arrived with the other two marble-skinned men who had approached the car in tow. Kate came up behind Wolf, bending down and detaching something from the back of the table, and beginning to move the table, with a still weak Wolf on it, away. The black haired woman called softly after her as Wolf was wheeled away:

"My name is Kesi, by the way, Wolf. Try not to forget me this time. I promise you won't."

PostPosted: 13 May 2011, 21:45 
Veteran

"Don't be so sure," Wolf called back, painfully aware of how utterly ineffectual any comeback she could produce would be if she was making it while being wheeled away strapped to a table. "You have a life as long as mine's gotten to be, all the whiny little bitches just tend to blur into one."

If Kesi had a reply, Wolf didn't hear it. She sighed and closed her eyes, quite honestly trying to remember if she had ever seen Kesi. But nothing presented itself. She could be someone's sister, someone's lover. Someone who saw the wrong thing. Someone who'd been slighted by a passing comment. Someone gravely offended over being left behind. Like Alyssa Hart all over again.

My life has gone on for just too damn long, Wolf thought glumly. It's getting to be like some badly-written fantasy novel where you wind up consulting the appendix every other sentence just to remember what's going on. I liked it better when it was Aldrich who had to keep up with all of this.

PostPosted: 19 May 2011, 13:59 
Administrator

Kesi ignored the comment as Kate wheeled her away, and instead turned her attention behind her and a small dividing panel that rose about a metre and a half up. Icarus was on its own table, still snoozing blissfully, behind the panel. Kesi picked up a helmet with what looked like a blast shield attached to it and settled it over Ike's blond hair before raising her hand and making a flipping motion with her wrist at a nearby instrument panel. A few LEDs blinked across the dome of the helmet as the machine slowly and quietly began its task.

-----

Ignatius's eyes opened calmly. His mind was surprisingly immediately lucid--that being his first thought. Was one lucid if they had to think about whether they were lucid or not? Could they judge that of themselves? Oh well.

Pushing himself up, he noticed he was more or less exactly how he had been earlier, though his gun and coat were missing. Nothing handy in enabling an escape. And escape. Escape from...

...a small room. Ignatius judged it to be about three by three metres, spotlessly white, totally empty, and with one smooth, bright light set about three or three and half metres high, flush with the ceiling. All things considered, however, Ignatius was grateful for the light and the white colour of the room, else it would have been crushingly claustrophobic. He couldn't even tell where the door was. Was there a door? Had he been sealed in this room alive? But what good would preparing such a room be if that was all it was going to be used for? No, that wasn't the case. There was a way in and out of the room, Iggy just wasn't sure what that way was yet.

Ignatius Ward sat himself more properly, cross legged, in the centre of room and closed his eyes again, almost in a meditative posture, to think.

PostPosted: 20 May 2011, 10:25 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
The first thought that entered Ute’s head as she came round and saw the walls of the small cell around her was, Noch wieder? Her mind was drawn straight back to that time at the Cheyenne Mountain Facility when she and Icarus had been overpowered and she had awoken to find herself locked in a cell with a teleport-inhibiting field all around it. Not that this cell looked much like her prison back then: compared to this that cell had been positively comfortable. At least it had been equipped with… something. This one was devoid of anything at all. She was lying on the floor in a totally featureless white box with a light, well out of reach, in the ceiling. Other than that, there was nothing. She lay motionless for a few minutes while she gathered her thoughts and ascertained that, physically at least, she felt ok, though she couldn’t really remember what had happened in the car. All she knew for certain was that the ‘Weavers were all getting into the car with Kate, and then she found herself here.

She peered around the cell once again, looking for any hint of an exit. There was none.

Na, ich hätte herausfinden sollen, ob’s möglich ist, von hier hinaus zu teleportieren – I should find out if it’s possible to teleport out of here she thought rather halfheartedly to herself.

She didn’t expect for a moment that her captor had been so naïve as to leave her that opportunity – after all, Kate had witnessed her ability – but she knew she had to check out all the possibilities. She also knew from the last time, that it was likely to be painful. With a sigh she stood up and attempted a port through the wall facing her. Exactly as expected, she was hurled back by a forcefield of some kind that sent her skidding in an undignified heap across the floor. Exactly as expected the same thing happened with the three remaining walls, the ceiling and the floor. With a shrug of resignation, she lay down on her back, hands clasped behind her head and knees bent, to rest her bruised limbs and to think. She sincerely hoped that other opportunities for escape would present themselves when someone, presumably, would have reason to enter her cell, whether to bring food or to interrogate her. She wondered how the other ‘Weavers were. She could only assume that each one of them was in a cell just like hers. Would any of them have more luck than she did?