All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Patefacio
PostPosted: 20 Jul 2010, 16:47 
Dino

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Ute hadn't been able to hear the whispered exchange between Icarus and Hasbro, so she had no idea what it was that Icarus and Iggy were trying to figure out, but she was as interested as anyone in the girl's story (and not least in what had become of her two brothers). She moved in closer and watched with interest, but also some apprehension, her hand still wielding the dagger after the fight, as Icarus offered their assistance to the girl.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2010, 17:38 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
The girl reached out a shaking hand and let Icarus help her up. "Kate," she said. "My name is Kate. Can you help us, please? My brothers...they just...they're....something happened to them. They're running around...just wrecking things....it's like they lost their minds when it....it....happened. I don't think they know what they're doing. But I couldn't stop them! Please? Please can you help?"

Wolf sighed, tapping her fingers against the side of her coat. "Excuse us just a moment," she said, and pulled Icarus aside. The rest of the team followed them to the head of the alley.

"Alright, Ike," Wolf said. "You're my technical advisor. What the hell is going on here?"

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2010, 09:12 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
Icarus gave a funny face at being pulled by its shirt to the side before shrugging.

"Does it look very 'technical' to you? Doesn't to me. Besides those clockbots over there that is. Which seems a bit suspicious, unless they came out of whatever rift caused all this." Icarus rapidly spun on its heel and struck a thinking pose, again emulating Sherlock Holmes. "What we have is very simply an assemblage of unknown variables centring about one family." It began pacing quickly in a very small space, "This, my dear friends is not something we are unfamiliar with, and we must face with all our regular fortitude and, er," it stuck its nose up in the air with mock arrogance, "verisimilitude." Coming into the group, Icarus stopped the Holmes act. "I don't know what's going on, but I figure if we take a moment to examine Kate here a lil' closer so we can see exactly what's up with her, then we can find her brothers more easily, and if we do that, then I'm betting our odds of finding anything else effected slash affected by this rift will go up. And learning about the rift prolly means learning about how we got here in the first place."

Icarus held up its hands to demonstrate its next statement: "One plus one is more than two, because it solves Kate's problems, it solves this worl--well, our world's problems, and it may solve our problems. And if you give me a moment, I can link to any satellite mapping and positioning networks that're here."

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2010, 18:49 
Veteran

Wolf took in a deep breath, closed her eyes, and tapped her fingers against the side of her coat. Thoughts whirled and clicked about in her head. She moved ideas about like pieces on a chessboard, shuffling various bits of information. To Wolf, being a leader-especially of a group like the Weavers-was more like playing a long, complicated and deadly game than anything else, with the whole world as her opponent. One preset strategy would never work. You had to adapt, and be able to move on the fly.

She opened her eyes.

"Alright, Ike," she said. "Do that for me, quick as you can. Ute, go check on Kate over there. See if she has any major injuries, anything you think is life-threatening or will be soon. If she does, report to me before you do anything. Otherwise, patch up any minor wounds as best you can and just sort of...see to her. I think she's in shock more than anything. But," she added, lowering her voice and giving Ute a significant look, "don't let yourself get caught off guard. We still don't know for sure if this is all just an elaborate ruse. On that note, Hasbro. You're on guard. Do your best to keep a lookout for any more monsters, goons, traps being sprung, anything like that. Get going, you three."

Wolf turned to face her severe second-in-command, who stood stiffly at attention. "You're my beta wolf, Iggy," she said. "I need your take on this. Tell me what you think."

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2010, 19:50 

Iggy looked at Wolf as she asked him for his thoughts on the subject. He stayed at attention, even while he listened to Wolf's address to the others.

Iggy thought hard on the subject, calculating what he needed to do with everyone. He thought over Wolf's decisions and he knew that Wolf had done what he would have done.

"I believe that you have done the best with what we have at this moment, according to my calculations, everyone is paired with the job that they do best. Even though, you have stated so, I would suggest that we exercise a bit more caution. I hope that is satisfactory Wolf," Iggy stated as he looked over the rest of the Weavers.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2010, 20:14 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Icarus tooled around with its hackwatch--as it was most of the time anyway. This Midgard, if it was Midgard, had a pretty sophisticated system of networking, and was quite secure, even from the technology in Icarus' hackwatch, which it had acquired from Wolf's acquired bag of tricks when it'd met her. She said she though it'd come from a trip to a world in the 34th century, relative to her era.

Icarus kept an ear trained on Wolf and Iggy, beside it as it worked. Again with the Holmes imitation, it said, "Elementary my de-ahr Ignatius. But what have you to say about our conundrum of circumstance, eh old boy?"

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2010, 11:21 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Ute nodded in acknowledgement of her orders. She paused just long enough to hear her team-mates' responses then, after shooting a look of mixed exasperation and admiration at Icarus for the way he was still playing around with silly voices in a situation such as this, made her way cautiously back towards Kate.

She did her best to present an air of gentle confidence in the hope of reassuring the girl, but underneath Ute herself was still far from being at ease with her. She hadn't needed Frau Wolf's exhortation to be on her guard: Ute had had misgivings ever since Kate's first strangely intoned words, and her comment about them all being "like this now" was still ringing in her ears. What had she meant? Was her current appearance not her natural one? Was she going to turn violently insane like her brothers? Was her story even true? It had been very lacking in detail.

"I've just been asked to check you over and make sure you're ok," she said as she came up alongside the girl. "You look a bit beaten up. You can stand, so I don't think you have any serious physical injuries, but we should make sure. And it looks like you're still in shock; I suggest that you sit down again. Or better still, lie down. Here - you can rest your head on this."

Ute stripped off the clingy black sweater that she had been wearing over her black tank top and equally black jeans, rolled it up, and placed it on the ground. The thought had occurred to her that getting Kate to lie down could serve several purposes: in cases of shock it was always good to have the patient lying down - preferably with their feet higher than their head; it would also facilitate an all-over check for injuries; and finally, if Kate did try something unexpected, it would be far harder for her to move suddenly from a prone position.

Kate looked a little apprehensive but, to Ute's relief, complied without demur. Ute knellt beside her and, after surreptitiously confirming to herself that her dagger was in its correct position at her waist, began to work methodically over each part of the girl's body, checking for lacerations or internal injuries.

"Tell me if it hurts," she said.

Kate winced once or twice at the gentle pressure from Ute's fingers, but there seemed to be nothing obviously wrong beyond some bruising and grazes. Ute couldn't tell anything from looking at the girl's strange eyes, but since she was conscious, with nothing seeping from nose or mouth, she had to assume there were no head injuries.

As she worked, she talked to the girl, both to reassure her, and in the hope of gleaning more information.

"Your people look quite different from mine," she eventually remarked casually. "My people come in various colours. Do yours all look like you?"

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2010, 13:19 
Administrator

Kate shook her head. "No, just me and Matt and Brody. We're human too you know. Well, were." She was wearing a tank top not dissimilar from Ute's own, and rubbed her bare, white arms, looking at the bizarre greenish-black veins marbled across it. "Would you mind if I borrowed your jumper? I don't really want people to stare... We all looked like you, like everyone else--except for your grey friend." She shifted uncomfortably for moment before continuing in a hushed whisper, "Are they a boy or a girl...?"

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2010, 14:49 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Ute's eyes widened at Kate's announcement that she was human. It hadn't really struck her until that moment that of course "Kate" was a human name. But then it could have been an alien name that coincidentally was a homophone of a human one. But Matt and Brody... you wouldn't have three aliens all with human-sounding names.

Was in der Welt ist denn mit deiner Haut geschehen? she wondered to herself. Then what in the world has happened to your skin?

At least that answered one of the questions in her mind - was this the girl's natural state? - but it opened the way to many more. However, before Ute could voice them, Kate asked to borrow the jumper and, as Ute helped her to sit up and picked up the jumper to hand it to her, she moved on to ask about Icarus.

Ute was unable to suppress a chuckle at the query.

"It's neither," she replied, grinning at Kate's obvious confusion. "But Icarus too was once human."

Just like you, she thought. I wonder...

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2010, 22:31 

Iggy's glanced at Icarus briefly before continuing speaking to Wolf.

"I believe our current location and circumstance to be no coincidence or accident," he said, bluntly. "We know this is Midgard, but of another time or alternate timeline, judging from simple appearances. Based on the girl's account, and what we know from experience, it is most likely a rift of some sort has been at this relative location at or near our time of arrival. It is highly unlikely that this rift would be the sole cause of our misguided landing, as it has never affected us such before." Ignatius' look varied none as he continued, typical of his deadpan demeanour, "However, given the presence of the droids pursuing the girl, and the fact that time travel is restricted to users of high technology, high magic, or both, it is reasonable to assume that there is another intelligent entity at work in this situation."

At this point Ignatius hesitated verbally, his face stating otherwise, clearly drawing a further conclusion but unsure of it. "What is worthy of note is the ease with which the droids were defeated. As Icarus noted, they possessed virtually no defences. Given the apparent level of technology present and the ability to build such mobile constructs with enough power to at perform combat, a lack of defences is both curious and potentially worrying. It could be that this is a trap, and we were meant to find this girl and those machines. On the other hand, we could have simply happened upon something completely unrelated to us, and we are here we are by mere side effect of whatever is happening.

"One thing we may be sure of is that whatever entity is behind the droids, it is not official. They have no reinforcements, no identification, and no means of non-combat defence. This is completely at odds with their surroundings in a technologically advanced society, with clear guidance and maintenance processes in place."

Iggy turned back to Icarus to act on his reasoning: "Icarus, there should be recoverable memory in those robots, provided your device did not destroy it. Even these clock-work robots would have some sort of memory module, even if controlled remotely. I would suggest that you get to that, the quicker you do, the faster we can get to figuring out our little dilemma."

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2010, 00:00 
Veteran

Wolf nodded, feeling her mood slip down even more than it was already. There was, after all, a reason why she kept Iggy as her beta, aside from seniority and lack of other options. Sure, she spent a lot of time idly wondering if he had Asperger's, but he rarely failed to bring up a good point. In this he had pretty much pinned her own feelings. It did feel like a trap. What were the odds of them being dragged out of time like this only to discover something like Kate and the robots only a minute after they landed?

No, the whole thing did indeed feel wrong, but what to do about it? It wasn't like Wolf had any idea how to get back to regular old post-apocalyptic Midgard, and she'd be damned if she let something like this go anyway. Wolf hated beyond anything the feeling that someone was messing with her, and she was hardly going to let it go without a chance to mess back.

Now what?

Not a lot left to do until either Ike got something from the robots or Ute got something from the girl...or both. Wolf sighed and leaned against the nearest available wall, then slowly slid down until she was sitting on the rough ground. She ran a hand through her hair, noting in the back of her head that she really needed to get a shower.

Sometimes, she mused, [i:93beeed8ed]being the leader just doesn't seem worth it...

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2010, 18:23 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Ute decided to see if she could get any further clarification of Kate's situation. As the girl pulled the jumper over her head, Ute knellt down, close enough to talk comfortably, but out of immediate reach.

"Would you mind if I ask you some more questions? If you can tell us exactly what happened, it may be easier to help you."

She paused and, after receiving a brief nod of acceptance from Kate, continued.

"Firstly, you said you and your brothers were being chased, and there were some things that you hadn't seen before. Was it those things that were chasing you? Did they come out of the rip in the sky? And did that all happen here, or were you somewhere completely different?"

Ute felt a bit unkind, pelting the bemused-looking girl with questions like this, but in a way they were all one question that amounted to 'what exactly happened that triggered all this?' But there was one more thing she particularly wanted to ask.

"Also, you told us that you and your brothers were changed. They seemed to go insane, but you didn't. Have you noticed if anything else about you has changed, other than your appearance? For example, can you do anything that you couldn't do before?"

Ute tensed as she asked this final question. If the girl was nothing more than what she seemed, it should be harmless enough, and she very likely wouldn't even have considered the possibility. But if she was something more, if she was hiding something and merely posing as a frightened child, it could trigger a reaction.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2010, 01:11 
Administrator

Kate seemed to sort of collapse in on herself, and hugged herself with her skinny arms as if she were cold. "The things...the droids? I don't really know if they came through the rip, hole, thing. I don't really know if something could or not. It wasn't really a rip, uh..." She contorted her face strangely, "It's really hard to describe, I didn't seem as if it should exist at all. And those things were just there at the end. They could have come through? Maybe they didn't? But they had to have--where else would they come from? And no...not really. I just look like a gene-surgery gone wrong..." She looked past Ute at Icarus, who had knelt down over the fallen droids while she had been talking.

As for Icarus, it had scrambled to retrieving what it could from the droids per Iggy's direction after it'd done all it could with its watch, which for now was churning through code to crack its way into the dominant satellite system's data relays. Icarus knew it wouldn't take long, but might as well get to work; after all, they didn't know if they were on a schedule or not yet. Luckily, the hackwatch could handle both jobs with ease. Ignatius had taken a step up from behind to watch Icarus work, as well as listen more intently to Kate as she answered Ute's questions. He folded his arms across is chest as he studied the girl, who in his opinion actually did seem sincere. Her body language and speech at least seemed to suggest it.

Kate regained her composure and refocused on answering Ute's questions. "And it happened here, in the city, but not...here."

"What area, more precisely, did it occur?" asked Ignatius, his arms still folded.

Kate hesitated, as if trying to remember. "It was an alley, kinda dirty...blocks from here. But I'm not exactly sure if I could find it quickly, I was just running, not looking where I was headed until you found me." Icarus looked up in interest for a moment. What were you doing in an alley in the first place?

"Describe the event in more detail, if you could."

"It...uh...the sky just sort of flashed red, it seemed, and this being...distortion thing was ripping the sky apart. There were other people, I know, but I don't know what happened to them. I just know Matt and Brody were screaming and went running off. Maybe they're perfectly fine, but just like me, I don't know. Maybe they were being chased too?"

Ignatius scowled. He knew the girl would undoubtedly be confused and disoriented had she been through a crossover experience, but it didn't help the fact the her information was both scant and vague. Save the sky flashing red. So far as Iggy knew, that wasn't something that happened regularly. Then again, it was a rift--there were bound to be things he had not yet witnessed about them. Add this to the fact that in the Weavers' line of work, they did not often witness the start of rifts, only the effects and prolonged actions of them once they had begun. However, something she mentioned concerned him deeply.

"Other people were there?"

Kate nodded sheepishly. At about the same time, Icarus leaned back from its knees to fold its legs underneath it, clearly finished. It looked up to Iggy and shook its head, "Not a scrap of worthwhile data. My bet's the pulse really fried the brains outta these things. Not that they could have had that much programmed into them in the first place. They're crazy basic." The hackwatch suddenly rang out a tune that any gamer would recognise as being from the Legend of Zelda, "Oh! We have maps people!"

Ignatius chose to ignore the maps comment for a moment, pressing Icarus a question further, "How basic exactly? Is there nothing unusual about these droids at all?"

Icarus shook its head with a n empty expression on its face. "No...not really at all. Nope. Nada. Enough to make 'em move and to recognise a target and go after 'em."

Iggy raised a hand thoughtfully to his chin, "So there's no chance, in your opinion, that these could be connected to the other people at the scene?"

"What? You mean like people being turned into clock-bots? No, not at all, not in my opinion, no. I mean, with a rfit I guess it's possible, but I'd expect something way more sophisticated. Something way more cybernetic."

"To the contrary, you said there was just enough to recognise a subject and pursue it. A subject, or exactly one particular subject?"

Icarus shrugged. "I really dunno. I mean, could it choose a new target? It could probably recognise a threat--it did with us--but would it be able to change its priorities? I can't get any data off of them, so I can't know for sure, but I would put money on no, no it couldn't. Also, does anyone else suddenly desire food? I could really dig some chow right about now. Mmmm, something with hot melted cheese..."

Ignatius ploughed ahead, "So it is entirely possible that if these did not come from the rift, then they were meant specifically to capture this girl."

"Well, definitely possible, anyway." Icarus lithely turned on a foot while pushing itself out and then jumped, hopped, skipped to Wolf. "I see there's a place selling quesadillas juuuuust down the street."

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2010, 22:49 
Veteran

Medals: 1
Funniest (1)
A thought occurred to Hasbro as Ignatius spoke. Someone outside the government. An external entity, intelligent, capable of building robots- however, they either didn't have the smarts or the resources to build good ones. Osiris knows they were always tight on capital, and Icarus was surely smart enough...

Finally, he spoke. "This is an alternate universe, right? There's one group of 'Weavers in our universe, so wouldn't it make sense for there to be more in other universes? We operate outside the law. We're always short on cash. What if... what if these are our robots?"

Living in the limelight, the universal dream for those who wish to seem.
Those who wish to be must put aside the alienation,
Get on with the fascination,
The real relation,
The underlying theme.

The World From Here

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2010, 15:10 
Administrator

Ignatius stiffened at Hasbro's suggestion.

"An alternate timeline is only one possibility..." He was aware that he did not even sound entirely confident in his own statement, not because it wasn't true, but because he was thinking of possibilities surrounding Hasbro's. On the one hand, none of the Riftweavers were from the Asgard Universe originally, and seeing as all of them frequently jumped in and out of the universe, had never fully acclimated to the universe's causality. But...there was definitely an exception to the 'Weavers. After all, when Ute and Icarus had brought Chaz and River's group back to Midgard, they'd never left. Settled on the far side of the city, not far from the suburbs. They had acclimated, which, though not in a negative sense by any manner, was the 'Weavers fault.

Ignatius also had serious doubts to the droids being of direct 'Weaver production. Icarus was certainly clever enough to construct one, as was Ignatius himself, but it was unlikely that either of them would create something so basic. It just wasn't their nature.

Then again...

And the surroundings. If this were an alternate universe to the degree suggested, it seemed unlikely the group would be able to recognise such a clear landmark as the apartment building. Not impossible, simply improbable.

There was another possibility that seemed to provide more plausible answers.

"A far more worrisome, though related concern, Hasbro: If this is in fact our Midgard but in another time, is this our future? Our far future? It would explain the remnants of established landmarks, the apparent high level of technology, and account for what I believe is your line of reasoning, as we would have indeed existed in this location's past."

Icarus rolled his eyes from its location near Wolf, who was listening to the conjecture with a sober expression but remaining quiet for now. It stepped back toward Iggy, taking the opportunity to grab its backpack from where it'd dropped it on the ground, "If we helped make this place, Iggy, then don't you think our landmarks would be more...prominent? Oh, and you're implying that either we settled this place with half a planet's worth of people or that Chaz's group's got some sort of super fecundity thing going on, because this place is huge. And don't forget that even our Midgard showed tonnes of evidence that the people there before us were crazy advanced. Seems more likely this is Midgard's past, not future."

"You're assuming that the people we've brought to Midgard didn't bring more. Other than this, your reasoning is eqaully sound..."

Kate has been flicking her eyes between Hasbro, Ike and Iggy the entire time, looking confused. "I-I'm sorry, I don't understand...what are you talking about? And if you understand what's going on here...I hate to sound selfish, but is there anything you can do for me? Or more for Matt and Brody? I don't even know where they are, but if they haven't got their minds back they could end up hurting themselves." She picked herself up, putting a marbled hand on Ute to express her thanks, "If you can't, I understand, and thank you for helping me, but I need to find them."

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2010, 13:17 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Ute had been about to remark on Icarus' sudden desire for cheese. It needed to eat so little that she had rarely seen it actually hungry. But her thoughts on that subject were quickly overtaken by the exchange of theories between Herr Usi and Icarus. And by Kate's plaintive plea.

Ute reached out a hand of her own and took a gentle but but firm grip on the underside of the girl's arm to support her.

"Are you sure you're ready to stand up? You still look a bit wobbly," she asked in a concerned tone.

Then she turned to Wolf.

"Errm... I was thinking it might be good to find Kate's brothers if we can. If they have lost their minds in a crossover, they could be a danger to others as well as themselves... But of course, you have more experience of this sort of thing than I do," she added hastily.

Then she paused again, wondering if there was anything that could be gleaned from the group's past experiences, before continuing: "Have any of ever you seen rifts before like the one Kate described? I was just wondering if similar sorts of rifts might have similar causes..."

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2010, 22:21 
Veteran

"It's not...it's not an alternate us," Wolf broke in through the chatter that was becoming steadily more confused. "At least, it almost certainly isn't an alternate us. Beyond the realm of reasonable possibility. We can rule it out."

Now everyone's eyes were on her. Except for Ike's; he was still staring at the quesadilla cart down the street. Wolf sighed. Note to self: when we get home, procure some Ritalin for Icarus.

"Look," she said, "we're not of one dimension, are we? Not of one place. I picked you guys up all over the place. The old...the...the Weavers that were before...before we are now, they came from so many different dimensions you wouldn't believe it. Tons of them. There cannot be another dimension where there are perfect alternates of us as we are now because there is not one dimension now where we are as we are, just one in which we decided to camp for a while. The chances of alternates of us forming this group as Weavers are just...it's not gonna happen. We're unique, let's say that."

She took a deep breath and ran her fingers through her hair. "Now, as for this being a future us...that's possible but it would mean that something very strange is going on. We don't travel in time. We're...we go horizontal, we don't go vertical. We can't. So if we ended up in the future of our own timeline, that means someone's screwing with us. But even then, I'd lay my bets easily that this is not a future Midgard. The sky is different. You saying we got a new sun and atmosphere sometime in the future? And built a whole city? I'll admit, stranger things have happened, but it's just not where I'd lay the odds. Whole point of this is, I really don't think it was us that built the robots, in any way, shape or form. I think we're dealing with something else here."

"Ute is right." She nodded to the young Weaver, who blushed. "We've stood around long enough. Whatever the cause, there's something amiss here, and we need to solve it. And then we'll get some quesadillas. Alright?"

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2010, 22:56 
Administrator

Icarus suddenly shook its head to clear its head from its cheese-filled fantasies at Wolf's decision.

"Heck yeah! But," it swung its backpack around and rummaged inside for a moment, "I didn't bring any costumes, just the Rydberg." It looked to Wolf, "Scrunchy?" Wolf smirked slightly and pulled a spare hair scrunchy from one of her own pockets and tossed it to Icarus, who easily caught it. Shifting into a teenage male with stringy dirty-blond hair to compliment the super-casual look of the simple vest, plain tshirt,baggy extra long shorts (though not extra long from the gained centimetres) and beat up backpack, he put the hair back with the scrunchy. Pulling a pair of sunglasses from the backpack hung over one shoulder completed the bum high school student look.

"I'm good to go," he said with a lower, dopey sounding voice. He looked to Kate, who expectedly looked shocked, "Where...exactly...?"

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2010, 14:18 
Veteran

Kate didn't respond immediately, just staring at Icarus with concern.

Wolf came over to her, "Don't worry, he does that sometimes."

Icarus tilted down his sunglasses and winked, "You should see when I have to seduce guards." The remark earned him a withering glance from Wolf before she turned back to Kate.

"But still, where did your brothers head to?"

Kate blinked before looking back to Wolf, "I...have no idea. They just ran off. It was in the direction of downtown though." She motioned in the direction of the skyscrapers that towered over the general location from nearby, a few of the earliest air-bound home vehicles hovering around them. "They could be anywhere in there by now. I doubt they could be hard to find if they look like me though," she said, as she self-consciously rubbed her marbled arms hidden by Ute's jumper.

"Don't be too sure," Wolf replied, thinking of the immediate effects of a crossover on how people perceived you. Though, this was a really advanced society; it may not have made any difference.

She tapped her foot on the ground, thinking. Normally she hated the idea of splitting up-it just never went well. Especially in an unfamiliar and highly unsecured location. But she also disliked putting all her eggs in one basket. If she was leading her team into a trap, then at the very least she could try to make sure that only half of them fell into that trap, hopefully leaving the other half in a position to get them out.

"Right, here's what we're going to do," she said. "We're splitting up. Icarus and Ute will go with me. We'll go by the rooftops. Iggy, Hasbro, and Kate will go by the streets. We'll still head in the same direction, but this way if we wind up facing something on either the ground or in the sky, the other half of the team won't be as vulnerable. We still don't know exactly what happened to Kate's brothers, or what they can do. Alright?" She waited a moment, but nobody raised any objections. "Good. Ike, I'll carry you. Grab on. Let's head downtown."

She waited for Icarus to grab onto her piggyback-style, then leaped up the alley wall. She ran along it as easily as if it were a horizontal surface rather than vertical, heading up and up towards the tops of the nearby buildings, into the sky.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2010, 12:34 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Ute gave Kate's arm a reassuring squeeze before letting go. "Don't worry," she urged. "Mr. Ward and Mr. Usi will look after you."

It felt very strange to be using "Mr."; she always addressed them, and thought of them, as Herr Ward and Herr Usi. But this was Midgard, not Earth. She knew nothing about Kate's background, and the likelihood was that the girl would not be familiar with German terms of address.

Having checked that the two men were indeed ready to take care of their party's new recruit, she watched Wolf for a second or two as she ascended with Icarus and then, having ascertained the point that their leader was heading for, teleported to the appropriate roof.

Kate, once again, was left looking shocked and confused at the sudden manifestation of yet more strange abilities by her rescuers.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2010, 17:12 
Veteran

Medals: 1
Funniest (1)
Hasbro turned to Kate as Wolf flew to the rooftops. The girl was scared, understandably. Fright was good in appropriate amounts, but fright too easily turned to panic, something that would get one killed in combat. She needed some reassurance.

"Don't worry, Kate," he said. "I won't let anything touch you. If you see anything out of place, however, I need you to let me know so I can take care of it. Iggy and I can't watch everywhere." He started towards the street. "Iggy, if you could keep an eye on Wolf, Ike, and Ute, to make sure we go the same way, I'd appreciate it. Let's go."

Living in the limelight, the universal dream for those who wish to seem.
Those who wish to be must put aside the alienation,
Get on with the fascination,
The real relation,
The underlying theme.

The World From Here

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2011, 19:18 
Administrator

Ignatius nodded at Hasbro before placing a hand on Kate's shoulder, calmingly.

"Hasbro is correct, for he is easily capable of incapacitating any opponents with his abilities. My ability is less discreet than his however, so do not be alarmed as I utilise it."

Kate nodded slowly as Iggy removed his hand and suddenly divided into three separate clones of himself. The one nearest to Hasbro opted to take the lead with him, as Two nodded to an over-wary Kate and took a position beside her. Three brought up the rear as they all started making their way forward.

Icarus felt his feet dangle beneath him while he clung to Wolf's shoulder on their ascent. He had no fear of heights, but all the same, such trips were always a perfectly balanced combination of terror and exhilaration. It didn't take them very long at all to meet Ute at the tip of the building, which wasn't as tall as the not-too-distant skyscrapers. The other buildings laid out in the cityscape before them seemed to grow progressively taller as they neared the main downtown area, with few drops down to lower rooftops. Icarus had always considered it to be a fairly impressive display of urban planning, which remained mostly evident even in the dilapidated version of Midgard that the Weavers were more familiar with.

Which reminded Icarus, who directed his attention to his hackwatch, still tracking their location with Asgard's evident satellite system, that this was a valuable opportunity to gather some information on the city and planet. Waiting for Wolf to make the flying jump over to the next roof and then stop to wait for those on the ground to catch up, Icarus let go of her shoulders as Ute materialised beside him and set the device to record the names of the various streets, roads, avenues and alleys of the city as they passed.

Not that it mattered that much. After all, who were they going to be giving street directions to back at their Midgard? Chaz, River, and Rodney's group? Unlikely. It was interesting to note that the park area that was present in their Midgard was not present here, though. And besides, who wouldn't want to know more about their own mysterious home? In their time, all the information seemed to have been eradicated somehow, right down to the books and street signs.

Wolf motioned for Icarus to resume his firm grip on her shoulders as Kate, Hasbro and the Iggys caught up below and she prepared to fly over to the next roof. He leaned his head in close to her ear as she leapt into the air, "Psssst! This doesn't seem very efficient!"

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2011, 17:55 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
As Icarus resumed his previous position on Wolf's back, Ute once again waited for her leader to... well, take the lead. Then once again she teleported after her and arrived on the next rooftop fractionally before her. She knew that both of them were well able to proceed a lot faster than this, but the other half of the group, following on the ground, didn't have it so easy. She peered down towards their last location at the foot of the building they had just left, keen to check that everything was still ok with them. She knew that the two men would take good care of Kate, but, as the one who had sat with her and looked after her while she was still reeling from the shock of recent events, she felt somewhat responsible for her.

From this new vantage point, their colleagues were obscured from view by the walls of the the previous building so Ute peered over the edge, waiting for them to come into view. It seemed to be taking a worryingly long time...

The earlier listlessness that stemmed from shock had evaporated and been replaced by a surge of adrenaline. Kate had no idea what was going on or who - or what - these people were, and the fear that had earlier caused her to retreat in on herself was as strong as ever; she could feel her heart thumping vigorously in her chest, and whenever they paused she felt weak at the knees. But now at least she was doing something. These people had agreed to look for her brothers and that thought drove her on. More than anything she was determined to find Matt and Brody.

She made her way along the street surrounded by her - now - four protectors. The adrenaline coursing through her body seemed to have given her heightened senses. She was alert to every sound, aware of every movement around her. Even the smells from the traffic forced their way into her consciousness. And of course, just like her escort, she kept a firm fix on the wearabouts of the party on the rooftops. Her head felt clearer too. Earlier, everything had been muddled, as though each thought had been trying to fight its way through cotton wool before it reached her consciousness, but now she was focused on the task at hand, and trying to think ahead.

The trio up above, who must have been waiting for them to catch up, suddenly abandoned their current rooftop and made for the next one. Kate couldn't see exactly where they had landed, but she was fairly sure which building they had made for. Up ahead, between the ground-based group and that building, was a busy road. The chances of there being a gap between any of the automatically guided vehicles large enough for their group to reach the other side on foot would be pretty slim. She hadn't been down this particular street on foot before but...

Ah yes, there it is!

"This way!" she suddenly shouted to nobody in particular, and pulled agitatedly on Iggy Two's sleeve while veering in the direction of a dully gleaming silver fence close up against the wall of the adjacent building a short way ahead. It enclosed a sloping travellator that led down beneath the sidewalk.

"It goes under the road," she added, a little more unsurely, by way of explanation.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2011, 21:38 
Veteran

Wolf landed on the next roof with a soft thwump. She let out a slow breath and took a moment to get her bearings back. "Do you have a better idea, Ike?" she asked. "Because if you do, go right ahead. Say it. I'm listening."

She peered down over the edge of the building without any particular concern. If Wolf had ever had a fear of heights, it had been eradicated long ago. Now, though, she had concern for something else.

"Where are they?" she said. "They just disappeared...did they go under the road?"

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2011, 22:51 
Administrator

Icarus bobbed his head mockingly behind Wolf's back, but suddenly grabbed a tighter hold of her as she landed, jarring him.

"Well...not really. I'd say use the satellites, but that sort of specialness needs a wee bit more than a watch. If you want to drop in on a hardware store though..." As they waited for the others to emerge from the street tunnel, Icarus gazed about the city above and below. Around them, the buildings were growing steadily taller; soon they'd be getting to the skyscrapers, and Wolf would have to find an alternate way of travelling, the rooftops being too cold and too high to see to the bottom accurately from. Down below, there were far more people than in the alleyway, bustling about like people tended to do in a real city like this. The occasional cart vendor appeared on a corner here and there, and sleek Early Future Era road vehicles alternatively zipped by or crawled through jams, varying by street.

All things considered, however, the city reminded Icarus of Aquilia, a city in mainstream Takari. Much like New York, but so orderly and much much cleaner. Course, it had its problems to, but, well, yeah. It was like that.

Icarus put a finger thoughtfully to a scruffy goateed chin thoughtfully, "You know, this Midgard's pretty nice. But I'm thinking of redecorating. I'm thinking...abandoned post apocalyptic ghost town. What do you think?"

Ignatius One, standing on the moving side walk that lead under the street, watched the walls intently as they waited the short distance to the other side. What would ordinarily have been a simple, dim tunnel had both its walls covered in advertising. The displays were all holographic, and all moved with them to some degree before fading away to allow others to project. The tunnel had obviously been constructed with such a purpose in mind, since the side walk was a comfortable width (having two lanes, one in either direction, of course), and the tunnel was well lit with a warm light, designed to make the observer feel comfortable. It was also obviously very well maintained, which was a point of particular interest to Iggy, since, after all, they were in the centre of a booming metropolis. And immaculately clean underground tunnels full of advertising just wasn't something one is accustomed to seeing in the centres of booming metropolises. He expected more gum wrappers and graffiti, to be perfectly honest. Although, upon a further observation and deduction...

It was very clean for a secluded but well travelled downtown city location.

The advertisements were in several languages, definitely including Mandarin, English, German, Swahili, Russian, French, Japanese and Spanish, though there could have been more that he missed.

They were all human languages.

The advertisements themselves were quite interesting, to say the least, and ranged a large variety of topics. Some of them showed shiny new models of cars similar to those outside, very sleek and hyperaerodynamic. The advertisements that Iggy could read also made reference to standard automatic satellite guidance and manoeuvring systems, which was the long way of saying the cars drove themselves most of the time. Other ads catered to the individual, talking about loan offers, foods of every ethnicity and mystery, and self betterment treatments. One that Iggy couldn't read nevertheless proved informative by the few terms he could grasp at a glance and the images associated with it. The images themselves would have been enough, even without the one or two more obvious terms, showing a three dimensional representation of a double helix with nucleotides being replaced, and then an image of a plain looking woman morphing into an obviously better-than-real model.

The society is obviously highly technologically advanced and has a highly sophisticated consumer culture. Almost certainly capitalist.

The quintet reached the end of the tunnel, the moving side walk sloping upwards somewhat sharply, evolving into an series of escalator-like steps. Ignatius One looked behind him at Kate. Now that they were actually entering the downtown area, there had been a steady increase in pedestrian traffic, yet somehow none of them seemed to have taken any notice of the marbled skinned girl, whose face was clearly still showing and had been looked directly at a number of times. Although, it seemed obvious to Iggy...

...there were no alien species present in this location.

So, utilising the information he had garned from the immediately previous observations, it also seemed that apparently...

...post-birth genetic manipulation was common enough in this setting that an odd looking person that it didn't stand out.

This was confirmed by the fact that as he inspected passer-bys more carefully, it was clear to see that a number of them did seem quite physically impressive. Very few blemishes or balding heads or oversized ears or noses. And yet, this was clearly not Earth or Terra.

No place on Earth in any time stream Ignatius was aware of had this sort of diversity in such a relatively compact location.

Ignatius One put a hand out to stop Hasbro, the others stopping behind him at a street corner just before the first of the truly massive skyscrapers began.

"I believe we should stop for a moment. If my thinking is correct, we are going to have some difficulty locating Matthew and Brody." He turned to Kate, "A question. Is this Earth, or Terra?"

Kate shook her head without any look of perplexity. At this point, the group she was with didn't have much they could shock her with.

"Are you familiar with Earth or Terra?"

"Yes, of course. It's the capital world."

Ignatius nodded sagaciously, "So this is a planet colonised by humans. What is the year?"

"2329."

Iggy nodded again. He then looked upwards, peering for--ah, some heads peeking over a rooftop. He waved downwards for them to meet him on the ground before turning to Hasbro again as his doppelgängers returned to him. "This is why I insist that we always carry communicators regardless of whether use is anticipated."