All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Patefacio OoC
PostPosted: 18 May 2010, 18:51 
Administrator

Medals: 20
Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
Righto gang, this is it. The Crucible Trilogy will official begin on Friday 21 May, 2010. Role Play information as follows.

Patefacio
What makes a Weaver?

Soundtrack: (Links included)
Opener: "Let the Day Begin" - The Call (Very bad quality)
Track: "Song of Song" - Murray Gold
Track: "Noble Girl About Town" - Murray Gold
Track: "Riders of Rohan" - Howard Shore
Main Conflict Theme: "Voice Inside" - Your Favourite Enemies
Villain Theme: "Voodoo" - Godsmack
Track: "Spiderman Medley" - Epica
Track: "All is Not Lost" - OK Go
Credits/Preview: "Colossus" - Lightning Bolt
Comic Relief Track: "Walk Like an Egyptian" The Bangles

Some further notes:
Crucible overall will be the major force behind establishing and publishing Weaver canon. Among the canon that will be touched on in Patefacio will be:
-Hasbro's backstory
-The position of Ignatius as Wolf's second rather than Never
-What makes a Weaver a Weaver
-The nature of time travel in the Weaververse
-Asgard's backstory
-Multiversal anomalies resulting from the existence of Fic universes.

Of note here and now is the replacing of Never for Ignatius. This fact will be treated in story as if it has always been. Since the Never was, er, "never" reintroduced since the Weavers revamp way back when, there is no conflict in having her role completely replaced by Iggy.

Any questions? Post them here.

EDIT:
Mage's and my own schedules ended up not syncing today regrettably, so it looks like launching will be held over a day until we can both be here to start it off.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2010, 15:41 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Right, long last, but it's up. Patefacio is officially launched.

A word though, before you make your first post:
The start of this story involves some specific jumping after the end of an unspecified other event outside of Midgard. Play along at the start however you want, but take your lead from Mage and/or I. For one specific example: make sure you let us describe what haapens immediately before, during and immediately after jumps.

Other than that I can't think of anything pressing; have fun.
Remember, be smart in this RP. Once things get moving--and you'll be able to tell when they do, should happen quite quickly after everyone's made at least one post--the story will increasingly be decided by actions your characters make, questions they ask, how they interact with other people, etcetera; more and more as the story continues.

Your character can and will die if you do something stupid--so can other characters if you screw them over. Put yourself in their shoes.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2010, 13:50 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
Okay guys, I do appreciate that you all are being on the ball about posting, as a lot of our RPs have gone down because no one posted for ages. Having said that, just because you can posted doesn't necessarily mean you should. (I know it's a bit early to be complaining, but I'm going to do it anyway.) If you're in a situation where you don't know enough about what's going on there for your character to interact with what's going on without just making things up (which you should NOT do) then it's best to just wait until someone does describe what's going on a little better.

Case in point: writing about how your character runs down the street for a bit and then stops because you don't know what they're running towards tends to just interrupt blocking. If you waited for me to post, you would know what was in the alley enough to describe your characters dealing with it. It'd be understandable if I didn't post for ages, but I was only gone for one night. So instead what we get is everyone on the team managing to run off faster than the character who can run fast enough to start blurring, while not even bothering to defer to their captain aside from giving her puppy-dog eyes for a minute. No harm done in this situation, I'm just mentioning it here so hopefully it won't come up later.

Also, Red, you keep slipping into the present tense. Posts should only be in the past tense.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2010, 14:21 
Administrator

Concurred completely with the above. I am very impressed that everyone's staying on the ball with posting as well--that tends to be our Achilles' Heel. I just want to add a quick note to help for future instances:

If you're having trouble deciding whether to post or wait, think on the characterisation of your character. I'll use the running to the alley as an example. It's actually quite in character for Icarus to run off with no directions. For Hasbro and Ute it's a little more questionable. Ignatious running off without Wolf in this particular instance is highly suspect though. I'll explain why I believe such. If you disagree with any of my assessments, let me know. I tend to view it as something of a sliding scale of independence in relation to Wolf.

Reading over Icarus' profile, it's pretty obvious that it's actually quite plainly unstable. It has a tendency to do unpredictable, illogical things sometimes, and in general be the most schizo-ish character in the bunch. All things considered, it's the most independent character in the group. I put it at the farthest of the independent end of the sliding scale.

Hasbro has a deep loyalty to Wolf and Iggy for rescuing him from, well, he had no idea where at the time, and was probably pretty freaked out. However, that being said, he basically raised his own family from the time he was old enough to plan a farm layout, mother and sisters included. He is still quite independent. I put him as the middling independent character on the sliding scale.

Ute lived under a fairly repressive regime for the majority of her life, and has displayed quite a submissive streak because of it. Some time has passed, and she has become a bit more independent--particularly evident during her development in the SOSN RP. It isn't enough to erase all of her past life's development though. I place her as the middling dependent character on the sliding scale.

Ignatius is extremely capable in all regards, and after being alone and isolated from all contact for so long, he is entirely capable of being in command of the Weavers if the need called for it. In this sense, he is very independent. However, his isolation drove him to a hard edge of logic and order, which includes a strict observance of the established rules of a society. The "society" in this case would be the Weavers' pseudo-hierarchy, which places Wolf as the Big Cheese. In Ignatius' mind, Wolf is to be obeyed at all times, unless it is logical to believe that her judgement is severely impaired. (I say severely because Ignatius may be hard-edged enough to follow her even if she appears to be just "a little bit off." When you consider that, it actually makes Iggy a very dangerous character. If Wolf is led astray, and he is always at her side, then he will go astray with her.). I place him as the most dependent end of the sliding scale.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2010, 15:30 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
I accept the criticism, although I will say in my defence that I did consider whether it was appropriate for Ute to follow Icarus before I made my post. It was precisely because of her experiences in SOSN that I decided that, despite her ingrained respect for authority, she might just be tipped in favour of watching Icarus' back, especially as it had only gone down a nearby alley. It wasn't as if it had left the area altogether.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2010, 18:31 
Administrator

I stand corrected. Understandable.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2010, 11:51 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
No, you're not wrong. It's very in-character for Ute to want to support and protect Icarus (her profile states that once someone wins her trust she is very loyal and will risk her life to help them), but it would probably also have been more appropriate for her at least to check with Wolf first.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2010, 15:36 
Administrator

Just thought I'd throw this out there:

As of this time there has been at least one fact thrown into the story that could noticeably alter the flow of the narrative depending on whether or not one particular character registers it.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2010, 00:58 
Administrator

Hm, actually, 1337, Hasbro's lived in Midgard for a while, and even with the differences in landscape, it's safe to assume the skyscrapers are in the same place. Especially since they even picked out the apartment building where Wolf lives and the old alarm room was/will be/is.

He probably would know how to get downtown.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2010, 21:53 
Veteran

Medals: 1
Funniest (1)
I edited my post to fit.

Living in the limelight, the universal dream for those who wish to seem.
Those who wish to be must put aside the alienation,
Get on with the fascination,
The real relation,
The underlying theme.

The World From Here

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2011, 08:16 
Administrator

Right, if Mage's up to it, I'd like to play just a little back and forth with her in Patefacio to get things going again, then everyone can post again.

When everyone can again, I'll post here would we should be doing.