All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 21 Jun 2009, 21:10 
Administrator

Medals: 20
Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
Icarus sat down on the cot next to the girl. "Well they've got to be monitoring us somehow. I'm just not sure how either. I was hoping you could block us out somehow, but if you need to know..." Icarus didn't want to just sit and think, not when, as she had said earlier, she was inevitably going to get nailed for having this uninvited guest too.

Then it struck her.

"You already had contact with the door access pad, right? Could you sense how it worked at all?"

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2009, 01:03 

"Er..." The Reader floundered for words. "It's like, well, being hit upside the head by a--no, that's not right..." She muttered for a while before staring back at the floor. "It's like swimming--no, that's not right, either..." She began to twitch with frustration at her inability to adequately describe the workings, even as she tried out similes and metaphors, and failing to find one that works.

Resigned, she finally sighed. "Forget it," she muttered. "I just touch it, order it to open, and it opens, just like that." A listless gesture emphasized the point. "Why do you want to know?"

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2009, 11:41 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Icarus shook her head irritatedly, "No, do you know how the access pad works? How it operates?"

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2009, 16:23 

"Oh. Uh--" The Reader had sensed something when she manipulated those pads, something that she had bulldozed by without regard to their significance. "I guess...I did find something. Er, three somethings, at least."

She concentrated on one of her fingers tracing the bed as if seeking inspiration. "I think one's a magbar or whatever you call those strips on credit cards. I think, at least. I could be wrong. I'm a bit more sure of the second; I think it's an access code of some sort. Ten digits, if I remember right. And the third..." She hesitated. "It seems...odd. Kind of like the credit card thing, but not the same. I think it might be one of those fingerprint biometric things, or something..."

She shrugged helplessly. "Sorry, but that's all I can remember. I just tend to punch"--she gestured for emphasis--"right through."

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2009, 16:33 
Administrator

"No, no, excellent!" Icarus stood up and pulled on the girl to follow, "If there's biometrics involved, then there's a database. And if we're lucky, it's the database." She walked to the door again. "Ok, here's the deal, get this door open and then get in contact with the access pad. Work you magic or whatever, just look deeper until you think you found what I was talking about. Do something, anything, just screw it up. And hurry! I'm surprised we haven't gotten caught sitting here talking for a whole minute. Not really with it out there are they?"

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2009, 14:53 

"I...already have it," the Reader replied, tapping her head ruefully. "It's in here. The database, I mean. At least, if you're talking about a lot of information that I got from that pad out there." She shrugged again. "If it's what you're looking for, then what do you want to do with it?"

She stared at the blank gray wall, trying to ignore the renewed churning in her gut.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2009, 19:37 
Administrator

Icarus perked up at that. "So there definitely is then? Good. Well, just do what I said anyways. Reach back into that database and screw something up. One thing will cause another to crash and another and another; we can get out of here scot-free!" She paused, "Well, maybe anyways. Just hurry up and do it ok?"

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2009, 00:43 

Barely suppressing a sigh, the Reader slowly lifted herself off from the bed and trudged over to the door. Placing her hand on it, she let her mind drift and open itself to the flow. With a thought, her consciousness moved against the current, instinctively seeking the source.

She knew when she arrived into chaos. She was being flooded with knowledge, which burst in all directions, a chaotic, senseless babble. Her brain sputtered and threatened to burst. Thinking complex sentences was difficult. Despite the weakness, she strained to share some of her own knowledge into the seething hive, and sent her sparks forward with a silent blessing.

In the real world, the Reader's eyes rolled up into her head until only the whites could be seen. With her hand still stuck on the door, she slid limply to the floor. Meanwhile, one by one, every monitor or anything with a displaying implement flickered before blacking out, leaving only the following words emblazoned on the screen:

[font=courier]HOW DO YOU FEEL?[/font]

Additionally, woe betide anyone with speakers or similar implements, for that same message was also delivered over audio in the most deadpan and ear-grating computerised voice known to history. Repeatedly.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2009, 08:42 
Administrator

Just as Icarus was rolling her as and fuming over the girl--whose name she hadn't even gotten--dropping to a dead faint at the slightest exertion, she was also pleasantly surprised by the sudden flickering, then dying of the lights, leaving only a dim, rotating red emergency light like in the hallways. Whatever the girl had finally done had definitely worked. It even knocked out the power! Icarus figured she'd figure that out later. For now though, there was a sudden halting of the thundering footsteps which had been building outside the doors, undoubtedly because those making the footsteps had just lost all contact with whatever superiors they had. And then there was the grinding noise the door suddenly gave as the power finally petered out completely.

Icarus tried the now silent door, holding back a shout as the now powerless door slid open without the slightest resistance. Unfortunately it slid up and would fall back down should Icarus let go. So, instead, Icarus gently let the door slid back closed, got down on her stomach and then grunted trying to open the door just a smidge again so she could peek outside.

At six pairs of boots not a meter away.

Icarus gently let the door down again and sighed, looking at the now limp form of the girl beside her. She whispered, "Why, why, why?! I'm so sick of this..."

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2009, 17:54 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Ute was sitting on her bed, back propped against the wall and Lord of the Rings propped on her raised knees. Despite some noisy activity outside, she had managed to concentrate a little better this time and was starting to enjoy the story. She still wasn't very far through, but already she was finding Middle Earth and its inhabitants a rather interesting place. She remembered one of the more senior 'Weavers once mentioning that it was possible to Jump into fictional universes, and that some had even taken on a reality of their own if they became sufficiently established in the minds and imaginations of their fans. She wondered if a real Middle Earth now existed somewhere.

Dragging her attention back from these idle musings, she turned a page. Gandalf was in the middle of telling Frodo about Gollum. A rather pathetic creature, he sounded. She was reading quite eagerly now, beginning to feel a genuine interest in the characters.

All of a sudden the lights went out. And not just in her cell, it seemed. Even through the little window in the door, nothing but a faint red glow filtered in. A moment later a strange noise came from the door. She half expected it to slide open and a guard to come rushing in, but nothing happened. A sudden, barely believable, hope welled up. It couldn't be. Could it? Was it conceivable that the noise was the locking mechanism failing due to the power cut? No. They'd have failsafes in a place like this. Still, she couldn't just let it go without checking.

Laying the book gently on the bed beside her, she slid off and strode over to the door. Peering out through the window revealed nothing. No-one was visible within the small field of vision that it afforded, but whatever the people had been doing before that entailed so much stomping about, they had stopped. She pressed both hands against the door and tried dragging it.

To her utter amazement, it actually moved! She wondered what to do next. She couldn't believe there would be no guards at all in the cell block, even if they had to dispatch someone to check out the power outage, so if she opened it fully, someone would would most likely notice, despite the gloom. Gently she let the door slide shut again. Then a thought struck her. If the lights and door locks were out, what about those forcefields round the room?

Half expecting to find herself being flung back again, she tried a 'port. And the next second she was in the middle of another cell, standing in front of a very surprised-looking inmate. Ute felt a mixture of elation at escaping and slight disappointment that the occupant wasn't Icarus. From what she could see in the semi-darkness, this was a young girl, probably somewhere in her teens. She was slim and mid-height, and wore her hair, which looked like it might be brown or dark blonde in natural light, in a ponytail.

Ute raised a finger to her lips, warning the girl to keep quiet. "Security's down. The doors are unlocked," she whispered.

She went to the window, and this time she could just make out the figures of at least two guards about two cells further down. Whether there were more than that, she couldn't tell. She turned back to the girl. "There are guards outside. We can't go that way. And I need to find my friend."

"Don't worry about me," the girl replied. "I have powers too. I can take care of myself. You go."

"Are you sure?" Ute asked, sounding rather concerned. "I can take you with me. There's strength in numbers."

"Can you get me to the next cell? I think the person in there is someone I know."

Ute smiled, took her arm, and a moment later, three people stood together in the neighbouring cell. Once again Ute offered to stay and help but, aware that taking two people at a time might be more than she could manage, she gave in fairly readily when the girl again urged her to leave them and look for her friend. Thanking them, she disappeared for a third time.

As she rematerialised, facing the bed, she thought for a fraction of a second that the cell was empty, but as she turned, she realised there was a black-haired woman standing by the door, looking down at plump girl lying, apparently unconscious, on the floor. She was about to step over to speak to her, but the woman must have caught sight of her out of the corner of her eye, and turned towards her. Instantly, even in the dark, Ute recognised the face.

Icarus! It was all she could do to prevent herself from crying the name out loud. A big grin spread over her face, and she was tempted to rush over and give her fellow Riftweaver a big hug, but inhibition got the better of her. Instead, all she did was whisper, "You've changed your hair."

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2009, 20:53 
Administrator

Icarus stood up, still looking at the girl as Ute materialized behind her. Icarus turned around with a confused but amused look.

"You've changed your hair." Ute observed quietly with a grin. Icarus simply took a step to cover the distance between the two and embraced Ute in a most unladylike bear-hug.

"Well of course I did. Staying the same all the way through would've been boring." She let go of her surprised partner with a slightly more serious but still characteristically nonchalant tone in her voice, "How'd you find my cell? You haven't been in the next one over this whole time over, have you?"

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2009, 09:37 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
The next thing Ute knew, she was being gripped in one of Icarus' bear hugs. She would have reciprocated, now that Icarus had taken the initiative, but her arms were pinned to her sides by the strength of her partner's embrace.

Still grinning, she replied to Icarus' questions. "No, I wasn't next-door. I was three cells down. There's a guy in that one," she pointed towards the wall that she had just come through, "and there was a girl in the one after that, but they're both together now. She asked me to take her to him."

She fell silent for just a moment before continuing, "I'm sorry I couldn't come to find you sooner. Somehow they had worked out that I am a teleporter, and they put some kind of forcefield all around my cell. But when the power went out, the forcefields came down too, so I 'ported through the cells, looking for you." She paused again. "And the doors are unlocked. But I expect you've noticed that already. I was surprised they didn't have a back-up system."

She stopped again. Icarus, being a technological wizard, might have some explanation for that. But before her colleague had time to say anything, her eye caught sight of the girl on the floor once again.

"Who's that?" she asked, quizzically, "and what's happened to her?"

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2009, 21:17 
Administrator

"Backup systems!" Icarus gave a muted snort at the mention. "I actually thought I'd underestimated this place until that came up. It'll make walking out of this place cake." She paused and looked back down at the girl responsible for their now possible escape. "Yeah, uh, no clue who she is. She actually just walked in here a few minutes ago, woulda walked out too, but I figured she was a techno since she could just walk in and out. If they locked you up tight though, don't know why they couldn't do it for her. Huh..." Icarus shook her head, "Anyways, I convinced her to get, uh, whatever happened to happen. She kinda just...dropped though. I guess we can't really just leave her here..."

Icarus took another step around to stand beside Ute. She was aware they had been squandering precious time, and couldn't dare to do so any longer. "Right, so I'm guessing 6 guards outside, armed with at least tranqs, don't know if anything worse but we might as well count on it. If we 'ported into the middle of them, grabbed an sidearm or two, and 'ported back, you think we could spring in and out to take them out? It's a stretch, I know, but it's all I can think of. And even if we're finally able to Jump out of this 'verse, we might as well make the most of this...situation and get what we came for. And we need our stuff back!"

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2009, 10:28 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Ute considered the proposal. Even if they took the guards by surprise by 'porting in amongst them, what would be the chances of managing to grab a weapon before one of the others had time to react? And she would need to know their positions to avoid materialising inside someone. But she couldn't think of an alternative.

"Can we see exactly where they are from here? Which way are they facing?" she asked, stepping over to the door and trying to see out of the little window without treading on the unconscious girl at her feet. 'Porting into the middle of them might be difficult. Is it possible to land directly behind our targets instead, so that their bodies shield us from the others while we grab their weapons? I think I can probably disable someone from behind. Lieutenant Shadowblade has been teaching me some techniques."

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2009, 21:45 
Administrator

"At this point, I don't think it really matters, we're screwed any way we try this." Icarus shook her head again. If she nudged the door open to peak again, it would surely be noticed, it was amazing it hadn't been the first time. And why hadn't this cell been checked yet? Were the guards busy containing other prisoners? Or were they just so inept that they were standing about drooling in the unexpected blackout? In either of those cases, they probably could just teleport outside and actually kick them all senseless. But what if the guards had already fanned out and were monitoring each room? Were there that many guards there? If so, teleporting out at all would be instant suicide by soldier. If they could rush them, it would be better...

Icarus knocked herself on the side of her head with her palm. "Dur! Ute, take me back to the cell you left those other two in. We can come back for mystery-hero-girl in a minute."

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2009, 07:53 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Ute's eyes lit up, or would have, if there had been more light.

"You mean, team up with the other prisoners? That might have more chance of success. I wonder what their abilities are. The girl told me she had one. Maybe I could find other prisoners too."

She stepped back to where Icarus stood and held out her hand, inviting her friend to take hold of it. With a final, mildly concerned, glance at the girl on the floor, she gave herself a mental push, and the two of them appeared in the neighbouring cell.

The two occupants were still there. Whatever ideas they might have been cooking up between them, they didn't appear to have put anything into practice yet.

"Hello again," Ute said brightly, but quietly enough to avoid arousing the attention of any guards outside. "I found my friend. This is Icarus."

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2009, 18:31 
Administrator

Icarus arrived in the room with Ute with the unsettling teleport. Icarus had no problem exactly with teleporting with her, but deep down, there was something fundamentally disturbing about essentially not existing for a second or two. Yeah, technically they did still exist, but not really in Icarus' mind.

In the room were a girl and young man, talking in hushed tones as Ute and Icarus arrived. The girl looked to be in her mid teens, and was sinewy with dirty-blonde streaked hair--or at least that's what Icarus guessed in the poor lighting, she couldn't make out the eyes at all. she was a bit taller than Icarus was at the moment, so probably an averaging height. The guy was considerably taller, probably not that far away from 2 meters. 190-ish centimeters maybe? He also had blonde hair, but it was shaggy, and looked as if it had been cropped to just past ear length by someone who definitely didn't cut hair for a living. Probably their mutual captors. Icarus gave a sort of wave from her hip and gave a grating smile.

"Right...Anyways, I don't know what you guys were planning, but could you use a few extra hands?"

Th girl gave Icarus a wry, curious look before answering. "Yes we could, Icarus. M'name's River, this," she slapped the guy on the arm with the back of her hand, "is Chas. We don't really have a plan though. Last time there was any kind of incident in the lab or escape or anything they posted guards at each door, so if we open the door, at least one of his will get shot before the other one hits the guard and then gets shot by someone else."

Icarus was surprised, "Wait, how long have you been here?"

"Coupla months," Chas responded. "It's only happened the one time before though. I don't know the specifics, but Dr. Martin said something about some teleporter trying to escape and getting himself turned into a lead holder."

Icarus winced, "At least we know what the guards are doing." She looked between the two, "So you guys know each other, how many others do you know?"

"I only know one other girl, Ishida Rinoa," River replied. "We were allowed to mingle during a trip to exercise once. She doesn't speak very good English though, I think she's Japanese or Korean or something."

"What cell's she in?"

"Dunno."

Icarus snapped her fingers, "Eh, maybe that's a good thing, we don't have a lot of time. What can you guys do?"

"I can manipulate water," River answered, "Fire too, but not very well. I don't like fire..."

Chas chipped in, "I've photographic reflexes. Show me something, I don't even need to know what you're doing, but I can replicate it exactly within a handful of minutes."

Icarus sniffed, "That's not exactly helpful in these circumstances."

"Oh but it is. I saw the handlers carry their weapons enough before they started blindfolding me, I know more or less anything about their sidearms."

"Oh."

"Yes, 'oh.'"

Icarus turned her head to Ute. "Well Ute, what do you think our odds are with this bunch?"

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2009, 16:17 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
"I think the odds are a lot better than if we were working alone," Ute responded, without hesitation. "Their abilities sound useful, and they have been allowed out to exercise. They probably know their way around a little better than we do."

She fell silent for a moment, thinking.

"If, err, Chas, did you say?" She looked up at Chas for confirmation. "If Chas is an expert on the guns that they use here, I think I could get us one. If there is a guard immediately outside each cell, I could 'port out to him, grab him, and 'port back in with him. I'm sure 4 of us could overpower one guard. And if I took the guard from outside a different cell, such as my own, the others would probably rush to that cell, instead of this one.

'But I guess they would find us soon enough." She trailed off. If the cell had been better lit, they would have seen that she was blushing. "Maybe that was a silly idea. Icarus, you're more experienced than I am. I bet you have a better idea."

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2009, 20:26 
Administrator

Icarus clapped Ute on the back, "Yeah, fresh out in the idea department," she looked at River and Chas, "You guys?"

The two shook their heads.

"Do it Ute. But we'll only have seconds after to get in there and kick'em where it hurts."

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2009, 17:06 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Ute nodded her acknowledgement, secretly rather chuffed that Icarus had accepted her suggestion. She tried mentally calculating the distance to the door of her own cell, but decided that with guards almost certainly lining the hallway outside, it might be disastrous to get it wrong and materialise too far from her target. Instead, she took the safe route back through the cells. Having reached hers, she crept up to the door. The next bit could be rather tricky, she knew. The guard wasn't visible, which meant he had to be standing to one side of the door, and she would only know which side that was once she got outside. She would have to be ready to react within a split second of materialising. Steeling herself, she made the 'port, appearing just the other side of the door, facing straight out, but with eyes already darting to either side.

Sure enough, there was a guard, standing up against the wall, barely half a metre to her left. He reacted instantly to the sight of the escapee, but in far less than the time it took to target her with his weapon, Ute had thrust out an arm and grabbed his. And as she turned her head towards him, she could also quite clearly see the door to Chas's cell, even in the gloom. Returning there with her prisoner was just a matter of a simple single 'port. No sooner had she made contact than the two of them were gone, vanished into thin air to reappear almost instantly back in the cell with her accomplices.

Taking advantage of the guard's momentary disorientation, Ute planted a sharp kick straight into the man's kneecap. The shoes the prisoners were supplied with were quite soft, but the element of surprise added to the kick's effectiveness and the man went down, loosening his grip on the gun as he did so, and enabling Ute to wrench it from his fingers as it slid past her hand.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2009, 21:38 
Administrator

Icarus opened her mouth to say something, but by the time she had, Ute was already gone.

"Right, well--"

And then Ute was back again, a very disoriented guard with her and already collapsing on the floor. Chas bent down and gave a quick jab to the man's neck, and his eyes rolled back as his head leaned back to the ground. Icarus simply looked at Ute.

"And Hasbro still says he's better at this. Riiiight." She turned to Chas as he stood and accepted the weapon from Ute. "Nice move."

He shrugged nonchalantly, "Saw it in a movie. Had some practice once."

Outside, shouting voices and footsteps could be heard, and Icarus caught a glimpse of a helmet reflecting the red emergency light flash past the tiny window in the door. Oh crap, they could just look in here at any time! Icarus thought about their options--strike that--option, singular. She knew it would be tiring on Ute, but Icarus'd cover her once they were out...

"Ute, all four of us, around the corner, now!"

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2009, 17:01 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Ute's eyes went wide. Transport four people?!

"Err... I'll try...," she she said nervously. "But I've never tried to move more than two of us at one time before."

She held out one hand to Chas and one to Icarus. River, who had not been directly involved in the preceding action, was standing a little further away.

"River, would you please come and hold on to me?" Ute requested, and as River moved to comply, she asked, "Does anyone know of any obstacles around the corner that I need to avoid?"

Her enquiry was met with a communal shaking of heads.

"Ok then," she went on. "What's the phrase that people say in English? 'Here goes nothing?'"

With that, she closed her eyes and summoned up a supreme effort.

Her legs gave way beneath her and her hands lost their grip on those of her companions as she collapsed to the floor, blackness threatening to envelop her. But through the encroaching faintness she was just about aware of her surroundings. This wasn't the rough grey carpet of the cell. It was a hard, cold floor. And around her she could just make out a flashing red glow coming somewhere out of sight - the emergency lights from the cell corridor around the corner. She had succeeded.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2009, 23:02 
Administrator

Icarus landed already prepared to ignore the slight dizzying disorientation that accompanied her travels with Ute, and just managed to catch herself as she spun on her heel to locate the sound of the clomping boots. The clomping boots which had luckily not yet been sufficiently satiated of their curiosity at the sudden disappearance of a colleague a few doors down to notice the sudden appearance of a group of people definitely not meant to be outside the doors only two or three meters behind them. The only thought Icarus had as she threw her knee into the nearest back and Chas quite stunningly landed a mysteriously loaded dart into another handler's neck was: The American military's stupidity amazes me.

Of course, it would be nearly impossible for the opposition to have not noticed the band of escapees by now, one of their number on the floor having dropped his weapon and another also on the floor, apparently already snoozing. The group of about 16 or 18 men and women raised their rifles and shifted actions; whether they knew if their comrades were dead or not, they thought the escapees were hostile nonetheless. Not entirely inaccurate, after a fashion. Icarus dropped in time to miss the spray of bullets, hitting the ankles of the nearest soldier as Chas also shifted actions and attempted pressing himself into the inset of one of the doors, barely enough to keep him safe. Across the hall and to his left was River, doing likewise. Icarus at that point was rather put out, what with herself being the only one in the middle of fray (being hit in the gut and then the head with the butt of a rifle), and Ute laying open on the floor. It was all she could do to shout:

"Gee, could you do something River!" another blow to the side of the head and Icarus hit the floor dazed. River looked across the hall to Chas, who dropped his stolen weapon at the site of the still standing 11 soldiers.

"Well that was short lived." Chas directed his own attention to the soldiers, "I suppose you're going to knock us out again, huh?"

The nearest soldier motioned at the door, "I don't care who's cell that is, get in it, or these live rounds are going your face." The woman behind him made similarly threatening gestures to River and the door behind her. Icarus could not be seen behind the others. Chas nodded, but smiled, subtly shifting his gaze to River again as he lowered his head.

"Right. But you forgot that over 50% of the human body is made of water, right River?"

River got it then, her eyes going wide.

The soldier didn't have time to finish telling Chas to shutup and get in before a puddle formed at his feet and his shriveled carcass hit the ground like the other 10.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2009, 14:26 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Ute opened her eyes. She realised she must have passed out totally for a moment. She was lying on the floor in the same spot where she went down. But her companions were no longer with her. She suddenly realised, with great consternation, that Icarus too was on the floor some way in front of her. A few guards were also down, she could see, but a whole bunch of them were still standing, and facing her way, rifles at the ready. She didn't dare move a muscle for fear of drawing attention to herself, and Chas and River weren't within her field of view. She figured they must be down too.

Es ist alles fehlgeshlagen, she thought despairingly. It's all gone wrong.

Just then she heard a clatter from somewhere outside her field of vision, followed by Chas' voice. For one desperate fraction of a second hope returned. But it was shortlived. Chas was clearly accepting defeat. And then she heard a guard ordering him into the cell. Yes, it was all over.

But then Chas made some odd remark about the human body and suddenly, without any warning, all the visible guards seemed to just... crumple. As though they had simply shrivelled up. For a moment Ute was too taken aback to think about the cause. But then both Chas and River stepped out from the sides of the corridor into her line of sight, and she realised that somehow River must have been responsible.

Slowly she pulled an arm underneath her and levered herself up into a sitting position. She still felt rather dizzy, a little nauseous, and very weak, but she forced herself to ignore it, and soon was sitting up straight enough to be able to see that each guard's desiccated corpse was in fact lying in a pool of water. Now she understood what River had done. To her surprise she found that she felt a little shocked. In her own world she wouldn't have given it a second thought: people killed for their own ends all the time. Her own parents had eliminated numerous Nazis and government agents in their fight to bring justice to their homeland. But as a Riftweaver Ute wasn't used to having to kill ordinary men and women who were simply doing their job. It seemed.... unfair. Still, if River hadn't done what she did, they would probably all be getting herded back into their cells by now. It had been necessary.

And now River was coming over to Ute, a slightly anxious smile on her face.

"Are you ok?" she asked once she knew that she had caught Ute's eye.

"I will be," Ute answered. "The 'port drained me, but I'll recover. But what happened to Icarus? Is she hurt?"

"She took a couple of blows to the head. I don't think she's suffered anything nasty, but Chas is checking her out, the girl replied.

Chas had made his way over to the slumped form of the other Riftweaver, and was crouching down beside her. Ute tried to get to her feet but a wave of dizziness overtook her and she nearly toppled over. River put a supporting arm around her and helped her up. Then slowly and cautiously, leaning heavily on her for balance, Ute made her way over to her fallen comrade.

"Icarus?" she addressed the prone figure anxiously, and then to Chas: "How is she?"

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44 
Administrator

Icarus slapped away Chas' hands and then put her own to her temples and rubbed. "She hurts." She scrunched her eyes shut before sitting up. "Nice to see you're on your feet anyways." Icarus stood warily, but steadied herself quickly against the dizziness. Now wasn't anytime to give up at expected discomfort. "But now we've got to get going, before more goons show up. It can't be very long at all." She looked to River and Chas, "Can you make sure everyone knows it's time to leave? I know we're not the only ones in these cells." The two nodded, River a little more hesitantly, obviously shaken by the fact--which probably just hit home--that she'd just murdered a dozen people.

As the two went off knocking on cell doors, Icarus walked experimentally to Ute, who was leaning against the wall. She punched her friend gently on the shoulder playfully. "Hold it together newb, you can't go leaning on walls when we start running again. We still have to find and nab our gear and get what we came for before we can leave. Oh, and we should probably wake up that kid snoozing in my cell.

"You ready?"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next