All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 29 Jul 2009, 05:43 
Dino

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
"Yeah," Ute replied, rather more casually than was her wont, in the hope of sounding somewhat fitter than she actually felt. "I'm just conserving my strength for the next part."

She flashed a friendly smile at Icarus. "Shall we go and see that girl?"

Pushing herself carefully away from the wall, she turned in the direction of Icarus' cell and took a few cautious steps, taking great pains not to appear wobbly. Her strength was beginning to return, she noted, but she was still far from right. She hoped they didn't have to do too much running too soon. Either that, or she'd better manage to recover in the time it took to rouse their benefactor.

As they reached the cell door, she turned to Icarus. "I'm really sorry I wasn't any use in the battle....."

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2009, 16:05 

It should be noted that while Icarus and company did their usual shenanigans in the facility, Rodney--or the Reader; it's hard to tell which is which these days--was busy staring at the door the whole time, having woken up from her information-overload-induced coma shortly after the cell was vacated. Initially, her reaction was one of panic upon realizing the cell's occupant had disappeared during her doze, which then seeped into annoyance as she spent the time alone to think that if the woman had a way to leave the cell, why didn't she bother to wake her up and drag her along? Given more time to think, the rationale behind that would become clear, but as of the moment, tensions ran high, and the Reader never operated well under pressure.

With all this in mind, her exasperation was understandable as she stared at the door, picking irritably at the blue jumpsuit while eavesdropping on the voices outside, rehearsing a caustic lecture in her head, and working up the courage (or recklessness) to go forth and express her annoyance. Without stopping to allow the possibility that the others had been captured--and even then, she rationalised it with a thought along the lines of "well, they'll find me in here, anyway"--she bent down and pulled up the door, squaring her shoulders for the sight ahead.

Whatever the Reader's expectations were, seeing two women in jumpsuits, unguarded, was definitely not one of them, and the surprise took the wind out of whatever mode of castigation she had in mind. Faced with the unbearably awkward silence, all she could say was: "Uh, hi."

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2009, 19:38 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
"Pff, 4 people in one jump? I didn't real expect you to be. Heeey look, she's up already!" Icarus said loudly as the door opened on its own to show a surprised Rodney on the other side. "Yeah, we were just about to come getcha. The guards out here are all out of commission, er, permanently, if you know what I mean, so everyone's headed out. Well, were heading out after a little while, we've got to find our stuff first. What about you? I guess you're feelin' better. If you are, we could still use your help ya know."

A few youngish people jogged by behind them, and Chas approached Icarus and Ute. "Everyone's out, and we've got an invisible girl staking out the end of the corridor before we make a break for it. Coming?"

Icarus looked back at Rodney.

"Coming?"

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2009, 20:10 

The Reader looked at the woman, and frowned, not quite believing what she had just heard. "You're not telling me they're..." The sudden urge to vomit and faint at the same time asserted itself briefly enough for her to feel light-headed, but sheer force of will managed to keep the worst of it down. Dead. Yes, they are. And they look the sort to keep on doing it again. They've got that look in their eyes, you notice now? And what are you to them, really? Something useful until you get in their way?

This new spin on things put a monkey wrench in a fix already full of monkey wrenches, to put it mildly. The choice between staying in or traveling with the escapees--killers, not escapees--became more of a dilemma, and the expression on the Reader's face as she considered her equally unpleasant options had the vague impression of a deer caught in headlights.

This moment of indecision seemed to take an eternity, though reality insisted it was only a scant several minutes. With a gusty sigh, the Reader's eyes stared at a spot of wall above the woman's head even as her own shoulders moved in a resigned shrug.

"Sure."

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2009, 04:19 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Despite her apparently confident response, the fleeting expression of panic on the girl's face was enough to tell Ute that she was pretty freaked out by all that was going on. She took a step forward and put an arm round her shoulders in what she hoped was a comforting gesture, and steered her gently out through the door. She felt the girl flinch as she touched her.

"Don't worry. We'll look after you."

Hoffentlich - hopefully, she thought.

"But we need to get away from here quickly. More guards are sure to come soon."

She glanced across at the now barely human remains lying scattered across the floor. "Try not to look at those ones. It's not pleasant. But there are more of us now. We can probably defend ourselves without taking such drastic measures from now on."

She turned to Icarus. "I wonder what the others can do. We'd better go and join them."

Knowing that Icarus would be in agreement, and still with her arm around the girl's shoulders, she began to move off, without waiting for a response.

"I'm Ute, by the way. And that's Icarus, if she hasn't already introduced herself. What's your name?"

Focusing on the timid girl's problems, rather than her own, had done her good, Ute realised. She was no longer feeling quite as exhausted as she had been only a few minutes ago, and she walked away far more steadily than when she arrived.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2009, 10:39 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
"Sure thing," Icarus responded, walking around and just ahead of the two girls as they made their way to the end of the corridor. Turning the corner, she saw the assembled prisoners standing before frosted translucent full-wall door at the end of a shorter hallway with the interrogation rooms where she had first met Glenn off to the side. The "gate" was dark now, providing for the general lack of light, but the red lights behind it were still on. It must be a dedicated system. And if that wasn't enough, Icarus didn't like the way everyone was just standing around. Surely it was a fluke that the power was still off at this point anyways...

Chas and River were near the door already, and Chas had his hands resting on the surface as Icarus walked up to him.

"What are you doing?"

Chas didn't look back at her when he answered. "Seeing if I can't break this wall. I have this minor energy manipulation thing, ya see, think Cyclop's eye blasts, and if I can find any pores or cracks or anything, I might be able to force them to expand and shatter. People are going to want to stand back if I can."

"Do you know what's on the other side?"

"Forcefield?"

"Well, I don't know, that's why I'm asking. But those lights don't look friendly."

"Right..."

Icarus smiled then. "But then again..." She turned and eyed Ute and the girl coming around the corner. "I think we can handle it."

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2009, 11:22 

The Reader really did try to speak. Really, she did. Unfortunately, her vocal cords seemed to have seized up with fear and an impending sense of doom, and all the teenager managed to get out was...something between a squeak and a strangled gargle. However, since the Reader knew her name was not something like "Squeemrlbrml", she cleared her throat and tried again, with somewhat better results.

"R-Rodney," she half-mumbled, half-stuttered, too caught up with fear to say anything louder. Her hands, deprived of pockets, fidgeted uselessly at her sides even as she listened to the others talking ahead of her. Hearing their voices, the sense of impending doom increased, despite the fact it was already past the point where she should be terrified out of her wits, and only her difficulty in speaking kept her from going the whole way and screaming. It'd be a miracle if I got out of this alive, special abilities be damned!

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2009, 17:42 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Did she say Rodney? Ute thought to herself. She wasn't as familiar with English names as with German ones, but she was sure Rodney was a boy's name. But then the girl sounded so terrified, it was hard to make out what she was saying at all.

"I'm sorry," she replied, turning her head to look the girl in the eyes as they walked, her arm still gently resting across her shoulders. "I didn't quite hear what you said. It sounded like 'Rodney'".

But she didn't get a chance to confirm it. By now they had rounded the corner and could see the cluster of people standing in front of the translucent barrier. Icarus turned and look directly at them as she announced, "I think we can handle it."

Ute was pretty sure she knew what her colleague was thinking. She still wasn't sure what "Rodney"'s ability was, but she knew the girl had been responsible for taking out the power earlier. She steered her towards Icarus.

"I know you're scared," she began, trying to sound understanding and sympathetic, "but I think you may be the best person to get us out of here. It looks like we need to open this door. Do you think you can do it? We'll all be here to help protect you if there's anyone on the other side."

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2009, 19:39 

"I'll--I'll try," the Reader muttered, trying to will the tension in her shoulders out. I can't promise I'll fall over again, though, she added silently. Willing up as much courage--or recklessness--as possible, the teenager self-consciously approached the barrier, ltrying not to look uncomfortable at all the eyes on her, and failing miserably. Inches from the barrier, though, she stopped as a sudden, unpleasant thought butted in: Now, where should I start?

Barely fighting down panic, the Reader stared at the barrier, her fingers twitching as if briefly contemplating touching it, before looking at the wall, then back at the obstruction. However, as she continued staring, something whispered at the back of her mind. It seemed familiar; in fact, it reminded her of the feeling when she tapped into the database and manipulated the sparks. She had never attempted the same thing without touching it, but on a whim, she sent her thought out and seized the whisper, digging for the source.

The world lurched, and it was with sheer effort that the Reader managed to stand upright. For a single, terrible moment, she felt stretched between two worlds: The one of flesh and blood, and the constant, energized, alive world she was dipping her toes into. Taking a deep breath, she dove into the other world, searching, not knowing what she searched, but buoyed by the feeling that she would know when she found it. For some reason, she had the nagging notion that her book was responsible for this reassurance, but quickly dismissed it. Books don't talk, she thought resolutely, before holding her mental breath and diving once more within the sea of sparks.

An outside observer would wonder if the girl had gone comatose, considering her lack of movement, expressionless features, shallow breaths, and drying eyes staring blankly at empty space. However, those who knew what was happening would notice the red lights starting to flicker. It was a small thing, easily passed off as a glitch or another; but as time passed, the flickers became more noticeable and drawn-out, until the lights blinked off with a final, defiant flash.

As that happened, the Reader's eyes blinked, snapping to alertness, and she staggered as if disoriented. The sudden transition into the seemingly lifeless physical world left her reeling, and it was some time before she could catch her breath to speak.

"I think I got it," she said with a helpless shrug, keeping her eyes to the floor.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2009, 15:06 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Ute did her best to steady the girl as she staggered, then turned to her as she spoke.

"Well, something certainly happened!" she grinned in reply. "All those suspicious red lights went out. Let's see what Icarus thinks."

She guided "Rodney" (I really must ask her what name she actually said when we're less busy, she mentally reminded herself) across to where Icarus was standing, and then spoke quietly to her colleague, aware that their voices might possibly carry through the barrier to any possible guards on the other side.

"What do you think? Has she been able to help?"

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2010, 20:34 
Administrator

Icarus blinked slowly, not turning to acknowledge Ute's question but instead playing various scenarios through her head. Had anything actually happened? If the girl had replayed her earlier feat then yes, something had, probably involving the power being cut. But even if that was the case--yeah, who was she kidding? That was the case, she could hear the seals hissing around the shield-door--this door wasn't like the others. This was big--this was heavy--this was...well, heavy. Icarus then spun around to face various members of the...1...2...13 other escapees as she spoke animatedly.

"Righto! This little miracle worker," Icarus indicated Rodney with her hands, "has just magicked us out of our cells yet again ladies and gents! Problem this time is, even with an unlocked door we're trapped if we have no doorknob."

Doctor Glenn Martin tripped in the gloomy control room and swore as he placed a hand on the back of a chair for support, leaning over to speak with the attendant occupying the chair at the same time.

"Still nothing?"

The attendant, a man who definitely looked his role as a computer-guru, was typing quickly into a laptop with an irritatingly bright backlit screen sitting on his lap.

"No Doctor, I think I've got it. Sent a request to the independent EDaRNet RAIS mainframe in North Bay just a little while ago, and they're sending our state retroinstances right now. All our data and system infrastructure is still here, it's just that all of them are redirecting to this," He gestured at all the monitors about the room displaying their psycho-terror-esque message.

"Whatever it is." Martin finished for him.

"Wherever it came from." The techie corrected.

And just on cue, the lights came on, and the screens cleared. A telecom unit on the far side of the room crackled to life with the voice of Major Thornsbury.

"Hell no Hart, if you have to kill them!"

Icarus was continued her speech as the lights came on in sequence, starting from the end of the hallway from where the group had come.

"So does anyone have doorknob?" Concerned talk erupted amongst the escapees as the other noticed the power being restored. nobody acknowledged Icarus' question; of those who were paying attention she received blank stares for her metaphors. "Dang it--" Icarus raised her voice to regain everyone's attention "--does anyone have a way to physically open this door short of blowing it up? Power's back, that mean that seal will reactivate any second..." More blank stares, and at least one smirk from Chas. Icarus bit her lower lip and nodded her head irritatedly, motioning for everyone to back up into the hallway.

"Do it Chas, quick before power restores to whatever was backing that thing up."

Lieutenant Archie Hart, leading his platoon from the rear, LSAT in hand, rounded the corner as the lights flickered back into life. The platoon's gun and head mounted lights remained on, perhaps lending some disorientation to the assembled rabble on the other side of the carbon nano-crystalline blast-door with the apparently disabled heat deterrent.

Luckily for him but not his men, most of his platoon shielded him from the door's explosion with their lives.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2010, 04:35 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Ute flinched, instinctively turning her back to the door to shield both her face and Rodney, as the explosion occurred. They had all retreated a short distance as Chas worked his magic, but even so, a few fragments of the structure came flying past. Fortunately for the little rabble though, the main force of the blast went in the opposite direction.

As the dust settled, she looked round to see a very shocked-looking officer and a few soldiers, battered and bemused, unsteadily getting to their feet behind a heap of fallen bodies. There was blood everywhere. Of the survivors, a couple had managed to keep hold of their guns, but others were still scrabbling around on the floor, trying to locate where their weapons had ended up.

Already, some of the more gung-ho members of the escapee band were running towards them, ready to take them on before they could regain their composure. Ute suddenly noticed that one of the soldiers on the ground wasn't bothering to get to his feet, but was already raising his gun from a kneeling position to target the onrush of teenagers. In a moment of panic for their safety, and before she'd even had time to stop and think about what she was doing, she had teleported directly on top of him and grabbed his gun as he was thrown back to the ground by the unexpected force of a woman landing on his shoulders. With the gun now in her hands, she 'ported a few feet behind the remains of the platoon and aimed it at the officer. She knew nothing about these weapons, but she hoped it was already cocked and ready, otherwise this wouldn't be much of a threat and she'd be in trouble.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2010, 23:23 

The Reader coughed as the explosion blasted a cloud of nanocrystalline carbon in her face. Waving a hand in front of her face in a futile bid to stave off the dust, she managed to avoid a couple seconds of dawning horror in her attempts to placate her offended lungs, and eventually her vision cleared enough to see what was happening; namely, the flatfooted officer and his few surviving subordinates over a mass of motionless bodies sprawled lifelessly on the floor. She only stared at the corpses long enough for her suddenly slowed thoughts to register what they are, and quickly averted her gaze, staring at the still-living soldiers as if she could absolve personal culpability by not looking at the dead ones. Some basic, reptilian node of her brain started beating itself relentlessly against the padded walls of her mind, shrieking incoherently with fear and panic.

Everybody's dead, Dave, said a cold, detached part of her mind over the mental howling. Even us. Even them. Even me. They're hypocrites. They say they don't want to kill, and look what happens. How many more dead bodies will I see beforetakecovertakecovertakecover

Her body and mind seemed to be running on two separate channels. Even as her thoughts screamed to take cover, she continued to stare dumbly at the spot where Ute was, trying and failing to comprehend the fact that one moment, she was standing next to her, and the next performing a body-slam on one of the bodies. Pocket monsters, the detached part of her brain continued. Old. Never liked past the first two seasons. Withdraw. Take cover.

We're dead! We're all dead! Shrieked the part of her brain still able to feel fear.

You're not the only one with a gun, bitch.

Unconsciously affecting an exaggerated caricature of some random stealthy role model, the Reader quietly slipped behind an escapee that hadn't done a Leeroy Jenkins towards the platoon, trying to keep herself behind the mentally designated "meat shield" and clutching her book to her chest in the manner of one hoping that it would stop a bullet at the intervening distance between the two parties. Despite that, she occasionally glanced back towards the corridor where she came from, as if gauging the chances of a full-tilt run if the worst happened.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2010, 17:40 
Administrator

Icarus practically flew back around the corner before pausing in dismay at the scene. More deaths. Just earlier it hadn't even given her pause for thought, and now it did. She didn't know which was more scary: that she could legitimise the killing of the soldiers in the detention area or the sliced up corpses at the end of this hallway. She couldn't help thinking of the marvellous book she could write on the potential introspection of that moment--given Icarus' tendency to look only ahead, death in itself never bothered her. Committing murder? That was different. It was also too late.

Unfortunately, the soldiers not among the front five or so who were shaking the shock of the explosion off prevented her from pulling out her typewriter. Despite their gear, Icarus recognised the leader, standing in the centre of the group as the same one she and Ute had encountered on their capture. Before Icarus could react, however, she saw from the corner of her eye Ute flicker out. Anticipating her movement, Icarus turned her head sharply to spy her colleague 'porting in to snatch a weapon from one of the still more disoriented members of the troop and then 'porting behind the entire group. Icarus admired the stunt, but couldn't help thinking it desperate. Even with the five taken out from the blast, there had to be more than thirty men and women in the group. About a full platoon Icarus guessed.

However, there were two other facts to consider which made accepting Ute's actions as foolhardy rather difficult to do. First, there was the fact that there were 13 other people with Icarus and Ute now, all with varying capabilities. Pity Icarus hadn't the chance to take inventory beforehand. Second, they were desperate.

As the platoon began shouting out for the escapees to surrender if they didn't want to be made squeamish at the sight of blood, Icarus took the initiative amongst the chaotic mob that was--for the moment--her own little platoon, grabbing River's jumpsuit and pushing her back in the process.

"Not yet River. Chas! Can you throw a nice vague 'forcefield' around them?"

The lanky blonde nodded once with a slight smirk. "Can't say how it'll hold up, but yes."

Icarus waited anxiously for half a second as Chas stood there. Her eyes wide, she spread her arms out by her sides in the universal sign for "Well?"

Chas sighed and struck a strong pose as if ready to cast something, "You didn't ask if I actually would..."

A slight reddish flicker of light flashed around the opposing soldiers with their raised weapons, startling them and cutting short their shouting for half a moment. A tentative hand reached out to touch where the light had been and quickly found Chas' handiwork--and looking for all the world like the most absurdly dressed street mime. Icarus stood on her tiptoes and dodged to look past heads until she managed to spot Ute on the other side. She cupped her hands around her mouth to shout.

"Care to join us, Ute?" Winking at her comrade, Icarus then turned her attention to the soldiers, who were forming up according to some order from the commanding officer present. "Right, would anyone in there care to just chat? Because I feel terribly unwelcome in this little spa of yours, even though I was promised it would help me. Really, your service is terrible. Though I do give you top marks on not shooting everyone the moment you saw something unexpected. I really liked that bit."

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2010, 19:35 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Ute didn't need a second invitation. Since Icarus and she were ultimately responsible for getting their little band of followers into this situation, she also felt felt responsible for doing all she could to ensure their safety, but now that the danger of them being shot was no longer so immediate, she was relieved to be able to 'port back to Icarus' side.

"Sorry," she murmered, somewhat bashfully. "That soldier was aiming at our people. I couldn't let anything happen to them."

She glanced down at the gun, still in her hands, and then at the fallen soldiers. Memories of her parents' work in the resistance drifted back to her. She knew her father, especially, had the blood of many soldiers on his conscience. He had always argued that it was for the greater good, and she accepted that. Maybe some, even most, of the individual victims had not been evil, but they were still the instruments of an evil regime, and life in general was cheap - executions and assassinations were commonplace. But here... she didn't like what was going on here, but could these people really be called evil? Or just misguided? She and Icarus had come to this world, a world they didn't belong in and had no reason to be interfering with, and already they had been party to the deaths of two separate groups of soldiers - just ordinary people doing their jobs.

She listened as Icarus spoke to the now imprisoned platoon. Her colleague's manner and tone of voice were just as they always were: the same sarcasm; the same dry wit. Was she really as unaffected as she appeared?

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2010, 15:26 
Administrator

Lieutenant Hart held his LSAT casually to his side as he begrudgingly pushed his way to the front of the group to speak with none other than the lying bitch he'd put out a few days ago. He didn't know who this lady was, but he was really getting sick of her. He flipped up the visor of his helmet as she finished jabbering.

"I'll talk with you if you promise to stop treating this like a game."

Icarus turned her head sharply. "No games then! Name, rank, number, soldier!"

Archie held a hard look, almost scolding at the mocking of his "no games" condition, but complied. "Hart, Arthur Kenneth. Lieutenant. Mars 88 01 12 07 91."

Icarus blinked for a moment, not recognising the string of letters and numbers, before letting it go with the thought that this universe had developed an unfamiliar system. Not that it really would have mattered. Icarus didn't know enough about how the military actually worked anyways.

"Righto, Lieutenant Hart. I won't play games with you if that's what you want. I'll just ask plain and simple: Would you mind telling us where all ya keep all the stuff you stole from us? Once we get it back we'll be more than happy to just get out of your hair. You can live your lives and we can live ours and everyone wins. Good? I think so." She turned to look at her comrades of the moment. "Sound good to you?" A few slow nods before Icarus spun back around. "Good. Good, good, good, good, good." She took a purposefully teetering step forward towards Lieutenant Hart. "Now, please, do tell me. I didn't think this place would be so dangerous and I'd really like to just get myself and my friends out of here before anyone else dies. Cross my heart and...well, hope not to die."

Archie's expression was curious at the simple demand and curious change in demeanour distributed by the woman. Personally, if he had expected anything, he would have expected a plea for directions to the exit. Maybe more theft of weaponry or irises so that clearance to the exit wouldn't be a problem. But instead that. He figured if they had planned on blitzing wildly through the complex to find the exit they would have tried to take advantage of the doors to the right which led to interrogation. Not that that would have helped them any, as the other entrance-exit to those rooms led to a hall just like this one, and the rooms could be individually sealed. A containment measure which could have obviously been engineered for more convenient areas.

"What exactly makes you think I would just tell you? I guess you could threaten to kill me, but you just said you don't want anyone else to die. Is that a lie? Because you did kill your handlers."

Icarus' forehead furrowed in a look not dissimilar from hate as she pushed her face up to Chas' invisible wall and stared Hart in the face. Slightly difficult owing to the height difference. Icarus took the moment to mentally screw caring about the less than pretty jumpsuit and shifted to a taller and more modest frame, stretching making the arms, legs, and torso of the suit a good deal too short. She didn't bother with the tight pulling feeling at the shoulders it caused either, too involved in staring down Arthur Hart, Lieutenant, a few of whose colleagues' mouths betrayed a mild squick feeling at the subtle transformation.

"And you think we just had a the jolliest old time doing that, don't you? Well you know, there's a good reason that some people actually do enjoy killing so much, ya know? Because as long as they're happy, it means they're distracted from how miserable they are. Besides, you don't seem bothered by the fact that you're ready to plug any one of us." Icarus pulled away from the invisible wall, turning her face as she shifted back down a handful of centimetres from the unpleasant and unaccounted for pulling at the shoulders of her jumpsuit. Tougher outfits than she expected, apparently.

"I'm doing my job."

"Oh! Oh!" Icarus hit herself on the side of her head with a universally recognised "D'oh" expression, "What a brilliant excuse! She again stepped closer to Hart, "I'm just doing mine. You know, the whole 'living' thing." She deliberately watched the Lieutenant as she stepped back farther to join the rest of the group of escapees, who had been watching quietly, and then smiled broadly, her near schizophrenic personality more evident than it had been in weeks. "Now, directions please. I'd hate to not have you boys and girls home in time for dinner."

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2010, 09:36 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Ute was impressed by Icarus' performance. The Riftweavers normally operated in the shadows as it were, avoiding interaction with ordinary people as much as possible. This was the first time she had heard one of her fellows actually conducting negotiations. Icarus' style was certainly unconventional, but this Lieutenant Hart appeared to be taking notice. Or, at least, he was listening. Whether he would be willing to co-operate in any way still remained to be seen.

She waited in silence, tense. How would the Lieutenant react? Would Chas' barrier hold out? Could all the other escapees be relied upon not to do anything rash?

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2010, 10:21 
Administrator

Archie decided at this point, his best chance would be to simply stall the group until Major Thornsbury managed to coordinate another manoeuvre. Didn't seem like it would be that hard the way the woman went on.

"Fine, I'll tell you. It won't do you much good if you can't get out anyways. Or do you know something we don't know?"

Icarus rolled her eyes. "You leave getting out to me. Just because there aren't doors doesn't mean there aren't exits."

"What, you plan on having your friend teleport fourteen people out of a mountain? Or are you just going to blast indiscriminately until you've blown your way through? You're likely to kill someone again that way."

Icarus twisted her neck to each side, popping the vertebrae in frustration. "I'm too genre savvy to monologue lieutenant." She motioned to the group with her--Ute, Chas, Rodney, River and the rest--to move forward. "Obviously you're not going to help. Good bye." The group started hesitantly pushing their way past the invisible wall containing the soldiers and the wall, a tightspot but passable. The soldiers watched with a glazed look, seeing their targets almost pushing past them but unable to snatch. Archie noticed Rodney as she shuffled past with her head down.

Now, as the reader may have inferred at this point, Archie wasn't a particularly sappy kind of man, but like anybody, he was far from an emotionless automaton. He remembered Rodney from her pick up. And wasn't every pick up really like that? For whatever reason, when these people--correction--kids, whenever these kids became those "moments" on so many monitors and papers, their lives were destroyed. Why else had this science experiment lasted so long? Where else were these kids going to go now that the big bad government had turned them into freaks? And, god, now they had a purpose. Following that lady.

Archie switched off his comm unit, knowing that the only reason it hadn't been filled with screaming this entire time was because Major Thornsbury and the scientists were too busy listening to what was to them "a miraculous display of spontaneous coordination," or to the scientists anyways. Major Thornsbury probably just wanted to maintain some sort of stratagem. But in any case, he leaned forward until the side of his helmet touched the invisible wall:

"When you exit this corridor, turn right and go through three lockpoints before reaching Extended Examination Containment. That's where all of your guys' stuff is. You'll need identification to get past the lockpoints, and odds are you'll be contacted by another group of us before you get to EEC. Can't help you there." He nodded once to the Reader and then pulled back to his men, the closest of which gave him perplexed looks.

"Oh, ow, they're in my head," he mocked. His TEO and the other two soldiers who had heard the exchange got the message, and quietly went back to looking clueless.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2010, 16:02 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Ute obediently moved forward in response to Icarus' gesture. She was grateful that she was slim enough to slip through the gap with ease. She looked round to check that the rather heavier Rodney, and some of the bigger guys, could all get past the constriction. Fortunately, all made it without trouble, even though one or two had to turn sideways to manage it. Rodney looked very ill at ease, she fancied, and Ute herself found it disconcerting to be passing within inches of the soldiers' stares.

She found it even more disconcerting when, as they waited for the last few to ease their way through the gap, she heard Lieutenant Hart's voice pipe up and give them directions. She stared almost in disbelief. A negotiated compromise she could have understood. But to suddenly make such an announcement unilaterally made no sense to her.

She paused for a second to take in the information, and then turned to Icarus.

"That actually sounds like it could be truthful. Do you believe him?"

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2010, 15:58 
Administrator

Icarus swooped down to pull the little box which she had figured by this point served the dual purpose of access and identification from the only fallen soldier from the earlier blast outside the invisible wall. Seeing it wouldn't come off so easily and that removing the entire jacket from the fallen soldier would be too time consuming, she began dragging the body to the door, a fellow escapee moving to help her after a moment. The door opened automatically as they approached it with the body, looking into a large, curved hall ribbed with piping over a mostly cement floor with a rubber mat covering the centre, running in both directions.

"Well if they wanted to keep the secondary exits as far from the labs as possible, my hunch is we head left." Icarus heard Ute say something after that as she directed the rest past her into the hall. "What?"

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2010, 02:57 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
"Never mind", Ute replied as she observed Icarus directing the group in the opposite direction to that given by Hart. "I just wondered if you thought he was worth listening to. Clearly you don't."

She glanced down at the dead soldier, now lying near the door. She wondered how much benefit there would be from taking the risk of pausing to remove the box, or whether any of the escapees had the strength to rip the jacket quickly.

"We can't take him with us. How long do you think we have before they reprogram the doors?" she wondered aloud.

Then again, they had Rodney with them. She seemed able to override most electronic systems - if she could be relied upon not to lose her nerve. At present the girl was standing on the edge of the group, staring at the floor and giving the impression that she really didn't want to be a part of this. Ute took the few steps over to her, still paying attention to Icarus, but hoping to be able to provide some reassurance. She could well imagine that with two groups of soldiers now dead, even if this latest incident hadn't been intentional, they must look like some kind of terrorist group.

"How are you doing?" she whispered to the frightened-looking girl.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2010, 18:56 
Administrator

Icarus gave Ute a confused look and followed her as she went back to chec k on Rodney, "Who was worth listening to?" As Ute wondered aloud about the doors, distracted, Icarus gave a dismissing nod. "If door lady can pull another rabbit out of her hat we're fine. Now who said what?"

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2010, 04:42 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Ute turned from Rodney and gave Icarus an equally confused look.

"The lieutenant. Didn't you hear him? He seemed to be looking at ..." she hesitated, suddenly aware that she had never confirmed with the girl whether her name really was what it had sounded like. "...Rodney," she mumbled, in the hope that, if it was wrong, no-one would notice.

"Just as she was going past him, he said something about turning right and going through three lockpoints before reaching Extended Examination Containment, and that's supposedly where our belongings are. He said we'd need identification to get through, and we'd probably encounter more soldiers on the way."

Ute looked back at Rodney for confirmation.

"That is what he said, isn't it? It may well be a trap but, if so, why warn us to expect more troops?"

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2010, 10:50 

Because he might be the only nice guy around, the Reader thought, but did not voice aloud as she concentrated on a spot in a wall, trying to use it as a focus to settle her emotions. What were they? Fear? Yes, it had been there from the start, but over time, the terror had muted to a dull anxiety. Even the most awful stench would grow tolerable if endured long enough. Anger? Maybe there was some, but if so, who was she angry with? Thornbury? Herself? Probably. Mom was always telling me that my attitude was going to make me an easy target. Look what happened. Guilt? Oh, yeah, definitely there. As soon as she identified the familiar voice speaking to them from the other side of a questionable barrier, she felt like she had been punched in the gut by one of the soldiers. The pain of betrayal stung, but who was the betrayer?

She looked up, and became aware of Ute looking at her expectantly, as if seeking a reply. All the navel-contemplating, and she completely forgot the question being asked of her. Typical.

At a loss for context, the Reader shrugged helplessly, not trusting herself to speak just yet.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2010, 19:20 
Administrator

((OoC: Sorry I haven't posted in a while--little obsession on the side kept me busy when I wasn't in bed sick.))

Icarus decided to waste precious seconds on a sceptical look. "Well frankly, do we want to trust the enemy over common sense?" She paused and pondered briefly, lifting a hand to twirl her hair before adding, "Then again, guess it makes about as much sense to trust 'common sense' as the enemy when nobody's ever seen the inside of this place." She stopped twirling her hair and began turning back to the left again, "But really, I can't think of any reason to trust him, can you? Either of you?" Looking over her shoulder she gave Rodney a sly look through slitted eyes. "Can you? If he thought you were special enough to tell, then have you got a reason to believe it?"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next