All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Something For You
PostPosted: 21 Jun 2009, 19:14 
Administrator

Medals: 20
Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
As they reappeared in the big room, Icarus let go of Hasbro's arm and tottered about a few steps disorientedly. "What a rush...T-thanks, Hasbro." It took a moment to shake its head and wait for the room to stop spinning before sloughing off its pack beside Hayden's--who had been standing not far off--feet. It caught the sight of Ute and a passenger disappearing out of the corner of its eye.

"Uh, Hayden?"

"Yes?"

"Have anyone who's good enough with sensor systems and raw data collection devices?"

"You mean someone who's good with computers? Good with technobabble? Good with science?"

"Um," Icarus shook its head with a goofy smile, "Pretty much!"

Hayden smiled wryly, "As a matter of fact, I do. Follow me." Icarus stood again, but took a step to the side and held aside its own tools as he dumped a pile of loot from its pack first, smiling guiltily as a few things scattered about the floor around the nice stacks a few the Ravaged were making nearby as they sorted what they already had.

"Right, heh, coming, coming..."

Hayden didn't make eye contact but continued talking as Icarus followed him in the direction of the far side of the room. From the platform where the 'Weavers had first entered, it would have been to the far left, but none of them had been in this area yet. Maybe it was the slightly dimmer light. There was a perpetual twilight farther away from the windows.

"You know, I didn't expect you to be the techie in your little group."

Icarus bobbed its head as it looked around at the squalid half-enclosed rooms that had been cobbled together from wood, cardboard, pitched blankets or tarps, whatever really. "Yeah, I get that a lot. What'd you think?"

"I'm not sure. The stern one perhaps, or the shy quiet one."

"Pff, Never's too busy being an old maid to worry about anything with more than a keyboard and mouse. Ute maybe, but she's not been around long enough to know stuff."

"Not around long enough? How old is your motley band?"

"Uh, I dunno. It's just kinda...been for a while. Ask Wolf or Never, they've been together the longest."

The duo approached an area sectioned off from the rest by a few vertically erected PVC piped with heavy blue tarp suspended between them. The sectioning ended before it reached the wall to their right, so as to form a sort of doorless entry to the area, which Icarus noticed a very dim glow coming from. Hayden led the way toward the gap as he nodded in response to Icarus' last answer. He stretched his hand out to direct Icarus inside. "This is it."

Icarus poked its head around the corner before entering, peeking for the source of the glow. It saw a single, large glass plate, which had chips and crack in it, but looked as if it may have at one time been a wall of one of those big fishtanks you see inset in the walls of doctors' offices and fancy restaurants. It was emitting the glow, apparently in the form of a bright, plain, oldstyle computer desktop. This was miraculous to Icarus, mainly because the glass pane was not a monitor, and had a jumbled mess of cables, ribbons, wires, and tubes duct taped in a messy web behind it, apparently providing the image in a way Icarus couldn't even guess at. Sitting in front and below it--it was pointed down at a slight angle, since wit was hanging off a complicated scaffolding of more, smaller PVCs--was the back of a wheelchair. This arrangement was in the corner formed by the tarp and PVC sectioning. The other corner had a large pile of...stuff in it that Icarus could easily bury itself in. Next to the pile was a bike with a mass of wires where the back wheel should be and a beg block sitting behind it.

"Evony," Hayden called, "I brought someone you might like."

A pair of hands appeared on top of the wheels and the wheelchair turned, revealing a slight, pale girl with stringy brown hair. She looked somewhat malnourished to Icarus, moreso than a good deal of the other Ravaged, and had a book sitting in her lap and a black fiber glove with metal fitting on her right hand. She looked about Icarus' own age, which was a pleasant surprise. Most anyone it had encountered who had technical experience on its level were a good deal older in apparent age. When she spoke, the voice was startlingly healthy and pleasant to Icarus, who had expected something thinner or weaker from the certainly unhealthy looking girl.

"Oh good," she caught sight of Icarus, "uh, who is it?"

Icarus dipped its head just slightly. "It's ok, you can ask what it is. I get that a lot too."

"Now that," she rolled herself a little closer, "would just be rude." She held out a hand to Icarus politely, "Evony Sinclair, you?"

"Icarus." It took her bony hand and shook gently, almost fearing it might break it. Again unexpectedly, the grip was firmer than it thought it would be. Not exactly a lumberjack's shake, but not a limp fish either.

"Icarus, nice to meet you. I guess you're with that new group that joined us, huh?"

"Yeah, that's me."

Hayden chirped in from behind the two. "Icarus is the technology guru for the Riftweavers. I'd like you to help him sort a few things out. He probably has a good few things you couldn't get your hands on before." The girl's smile brightened considerably, and Hayden continued, "Where's Jackie?"

Evony chuckled quietly before raising her voice in the direction of the large pile of junk in the opposite corner. "Jackie! New toys!"

The pile shifted a bit before erupting, another little girl with brown hair and ridiculously huge reflective goggles popping up. Icarus laughed; she looked like a gopher popping up from its hole.

"What kiiiind of new toys?"

"Really new toys."

The other girl pulled her goggles forward before letting them snap back on the top of her forehead and wincing slightly at it. She narrowed her eyes then and took in a deep breath. "Yes. New toys." She scrambled out of the pile and quickly made her way over to the group. Hayden grinned and shook his head as he walked away. Evony turned her attention back to Icarus.

"Icarus, my sister, Jacklyn. We're twins."

Jacklyn and Icarus stood only half a meter apart examining each other. Icarus noted that Evony was definitely not lying, they were identical. Jacklyn though had dirty smudges all over her skin and looked as if she was a little healthier than her sister. She also had her brown hair pulled back in a ponytail instead of letting it hang to her shoulders like Evony. Whatever "Jackie's" analysis of Icarus was, she summed it up shortly as she stuck her hand out to shake.

"You're interesting enough, let's see what ya brought."

Yes.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2009, 11:02 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
As Ute and her new companion materialised in the room with the 'Weavers, it was immediately apparent that their guide had not been wasting time while she had been away. He was busy sorting through the jumble and already some semblence of order was beginning to develop. Near to the door where they had originally entered was a growing pile of household utensils. Then came a pile of electronic bits and pieces. Beside that was a smaller collection of medical supplies, and then a mound of clothing. In all, half a dozen heaps of various sizes extended out across the room.

Rick, after quickly looking around to get his bearings - and his balance - released his arm from Ute's grip and strode over to talk to the guide, leaving the containers on the floor. Ute left them to their discussion and, instead, picked up the cardboard box and began to fill it carefully with medicines and electronics.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2009, 17:32 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
Bored, Wolf started helping the guide (Iskaius, wasn't that his name?) sort out the stolen treasures. Shifting through a stack of old photographs-some of which were truly disturbing-medical reports and other loose papers, her hands touched something that sent a shiver down her spine.
Curious, she shifted through the papers and dug out an ancient envelope. The paper crackled under her hands as she turned it over. To Maribelle Wood was written across the front in delicate gold ink. The envelope had seemingly never been opened.
Wolf stared at it. This was important. That much she knew. The key to getting out lay within her hands.
But what to do with it?
She turned to Iskaius. "Do you know if there's someone in the Ravaged who's postcognitive?" When he looked blank she added, "Like...somone who can tell things by touching them? Like get memories of things from items?"
"Oh!" Iskaius nodded. "Toby Landers can do that. Why?"
Wolf waved the letter. "I need him to check this out."
She carefully slid the letter into her coat pocket as Ute appeared. Wolf nodded to her. "Catch your breath a moment, then I need you to take me back to the hall. I need to ask Hayden about something."

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2009, 11:29 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Ute paused in her packing as the captain's nod caught her eye.

"Of course, Captain", she replied as soon as her commanding officer had voiced her requirement. She didn't really need time to catch her breath - a couple of 'ports over such a short distance, even with a passenger, weren't too taxing - but she took the opportunity of a respite to quickly finish filling the box before picking her way across the still well-littered floor to join the captain.

"I'm ready, Captain," she announced.

Having carefully positioned the box in her grasp, she proffered an arm for Wolf to hold on to. Once she was sure the captain had a secure grip, she turned her mind towards the hall and the two of them vanished.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2009, 13:48 
Veteran

Wolf felt the world spin around her, then settle into place. She'd teleported before, but never with Ute. Overall, she thought, she preferred Jumping. She nodded to her youngest team member as she let go of Ute's arm. "Thanks."
"You too, Captain?" She turned at the sound of Hayden's voice. "Come to join the party?"
"I need to see a certain Toby Landers," Wolf said.
Hayden raised his eyebrows. "Toby? Why?"
Wolf showed him the letter. "This. It's important, and I need to know why. It's so old, though, I'm afraid to try to open it."
Hayen stared at her for a moment, then shrugged. "Fine. Come with me. Apparently I'm giving tours today."
He led her across the hall to a space near the large windows. There was a boy sitting in an old, broken down wheelchair, his legs stretched out in front of him, obviously enjoying the sunlight. One eye was closed, the other hidden behind a ragged piece of cloth tied around his head.
"Toby," Hayden said gently, and the boy opened his eye.
"Oh, hello, sir," Toby stammered, starting to rise. Hayden shook his head, motioning for him to sit down again. "Have you met Captain Wolfblade, Toby?"
Toby shook his head nervously.
"Never mind. She has something for you to look at it, if you're feeling up to it."
Wolf knelt down so she was on Toby's eye level and handed him the letter. The dark-haired boy gave her a shy smile and took it.
"It was written to a girl," he said slowly. "A young girl. She was eight or nine, and....the person who wrote it....feared for her. The girl was....worried. But the letter never got sent. The girl never read it. She's been looking for it ever since."
He shook his head and handed it back. "I'm sorry. That's all I can. It's very old."
Wolf nodded and slipped the letter back in her coat pocket. "That's alright. Thanks, Toby."
She stood up, ignoring the stares of Hayden and Toby as she thought. What now?

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2009, 20:24 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Icarus was on all fours, sifting through the pile of "stuff" with Jackie as Evony looked through Icarus' backpack.

"So, uh, how exactly do you fit into this group exactly?" Icarus asked.

"You mean with the computer stuff?" Evony replied, "Well, you can imagine paper's pretty scare around here, but Hayden says 'keep records,'" she mocked Hayden's voice, "so we keep records. And even though it's tough living here, people do enjoy a rousing game of Minesweeper now and then, believe it or not."

"Minesweeper?"

"Yeah, that game where you have to click the little boxes and figure out where the bombs are, you know?"

Icarus shook its head slowly, nothing it'd ever heard of. Jackie meanwhile let out a whoop and held a rusty looking rectangle from the pile, "Found one!"

Icarus grabbed her wrist and pulled the box closer to look at, still in her hand, "No, this is a USB and PS/2 accepting external hard drive. Everything I have is ribbed." It referred to the equipment it carried with it, which had a more advanced connection, which was basically a few tiny points jutting from the end of a ribbon of fiber optics. Unfortunately, the most advanced connection directly installed in the hodge-podge thing running beneath the monitor was an ancient USB 1.5 port that ran a max transfer rate of 240 Mbps. This meant that they had to find some sort of converter if they wanted to save all the time of Icarus having to actually make one. And they'd need to find the materials for that anyways. All in all, it meant that even if Icarus got this thing going, it was still going to be considerably slower than what it was used to. Still, Icarus preferred doing this over trying to cobble something together to jack into its hackwatch, that wouldn't be very nice.

Jackie jerked her hand away, "Yeah, but I already know where a PS/2 and Ethernet accepting server section is."

"What good does that do us?"

"Well, then we'd just need to find an Ethernet to rib connector."

"But how much daisychaining can we do and your machine still read it right? And besides, how are we gonna know if the server section can even do that?"

"You've got the nice gadgets! If I can build that," Jackie pointed at the cobbled together mess of a PC under the monitor, "and that," she pointed at the monitor itself, "and she can write software to make it work with a glove with practically nothing, you can make this work with all your stuff."

Icarus giggled, "And I thought my stuff was second hand."

"Yeah well, you get out more."

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2009, 18:16 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Having brought her captain back to the hall, Ute thought she'd better hang around. Captain Wolfblade would most likely want to be returned to the other 'Weavers once she had finished her business here. One of the Ravaged came up to see what she'd brought in the box, and showed her to a small cupboard at the far end of the room where a meagre supply of first aid materials was stored. He seemed quite excited at the sight of some of the things that Ute had brought. Ute herself didn't have the first idea what most of the medicines were for, and couldn't identify many of the other materials other than a few basic items like bandages and syringes.

Having put away all the medical supplies, the man eyed the electronics. "I don't know much about these," he said. "I think we'd best take them to Jackie. Come this way."

He led Ute towards the sectioned off area.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2009, 13:43 
Administrator

Icarus and Jackie might as well have been playing a game they called Twister for as much crawling around each other as they did in following 20 minutes, trying to find more parts, wedging themselves behind the Ravaged's computer-thing under the monitor, and standing on each others' shoulders to mount receptors for the sensor array. Icarus found it hard to believe, but it was actually having fun despite the challenges and grimy surroundings. The twins were witty and lighthearted even though they lived how they did, and knew more or less anything Icarus was talking about--a rarity indeed in Icarus' experience when it came to things computer oriented. The Riftweavers were all techies to one degree or another, but Icarus was a techie among techies; the others occasionally got lost when it entered technobabble, though it tried to keep that to a minimum anyways.

"So Icarus, how exactly will all this be, er, running, once we've got all the hardware in place?" Evony asked.

Icarus swung back while keep its grip on the PVC pipe making up the top part of the frame of the section, "Oh that's easy, all the software and adaptable drivers I should need are stored in the watch. You could go ahead and send that to your machine, the watch is wireless and mostly backwards compatible. It's only a few gigs of data anyways."

"Uh, how many gigs?"

"About 40, give or take a few. Wait--" ICarus dropped to the floor, bending its legs to catch the fall, "don't tell me we can't move all that to your machine."

Jackie sat down cross-legged on the floor next to Evony's wheelchair, "We probably could if we had another hour or two to burn, and wanted the system to crash everytime we tried to run it."

Icarus made a face. "Ew. I guess we could run it through your machine but keep the files on the watch. But that would be just as slow...Well wait! If we just had your system act as a big collector, it could just feed all the raw data to the watch and the watch do all the work. It could handle it. The only reason I didn't try running everything into the watch in the first place is because all the analog receptors would have to be actually need some sort of physical connection. That'd be a bigger pain then all this was."

Evony nodded. "K, I'll start working on that then." She clipped the watch around her wrist and began working her way through the menus that appeared in a halo around her hand.

Jackie yawned, "Guess this'll be working soon then, huh?"

Icarus gave an exaggeratedly vigorous nod, "Yep!"

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2009, 14:10 
Veteran

Wolf was hearing voices.
She tapped one foot behind her as she walked, staring blankly ahead. Hayden fell into step beside her. His silence was of a different kind, a predator's waiting that seemed to mock the brooding silence around Wolf.
"Where are you going?" Hayden asked.
"Down," Wolf said, without really thinking about it.
Hayden took this in stride. "There aren't really any stairs around here. If you want to get to the basement, the closest route would be through the body chute."
"That sounds unpleasant."
Hayden smiled sharply. "Back when this was a real hospital, they built it so they could take the bodies out without alarming the living patients. Wheel a corpse out on a gurney and give it a shove-" he gestured with one hand- "and no one need ever know that yet another one's kicked the bucket. We can climb down it if you want, there's a way into the basements from down there. A bit tricky, but I'm sure we can manage."
Wolf finally looked at Hayden, catching him by surprise. They stared at each other for a moment: Wolf's sea-glass-green eyes and Hayden's dark gold.
"Lead the way," Wolf said.
Hayden nodded to someone passing by, bringing them nearer. "We're going to need some rope here," he told them.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2009, 16:21 
Administrator

"Try it again, try something smaller," Icarus suggested as the three of them huddled around the hackwatch on Evony's wrist. "Fermions are a tricky thing, they are. Usually I just play with the settings until something comes through."

"How efficient," Jackie mused with a bored expression across her face.

"It works. ...Usually. Anyways, anything yet?"

Evony creased her brow, "Do you see anything?"

"Well, no..."

"Then no, not yet. Lemme try something else."

Evony balled her hand with the watch on it into a fist, keeping any of the options from being selected as she took her left hand, now with the glove on it, and went to work modifying the options for the analog data transmission through the Ravaged's computer. A second later, a tiny, hazy, static-filled, incomplete three dimensional model of a gothic-esque modeled building in the shape of an L appeared over Evony's right hand.

"Got it." She said, smiling. "Now this is big news."

Icarus jumped excitedly, "I'll say!" It reached for the watch, "Here, lemme get it to Wolfy."

Jackie put her hand on her hip and cocked her head, "Wait a second, I think the people who have been living here kinda deserve to see this, don't you?"

"Fine," said Icarus, "All three of us will find Hayden and Wolf together."

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2009, 17:54 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
"Jackie and her sister, Evony, are our techies," Ute's guide explained to her. "They're just through here."

The two of them rounded the end of a blue tarp held up by plastic piping, and were confronted by a scene of organised chaos. Ute was quite surprised to see, not just the two girls, but Icarus too (though she immediately realised she shouldn't be surprised at all at that), surrounded by all kinds of equipment that she couldn't even begin to identify. The three of them were all huddled around Icarus' hackwatch, which one of the girls appeared to be wearing.

"Fine. All three of us will find Hayden and Wolf together," Ute heard Icarus say at that moment.

"Oh, err...., hello," she mumbled, feeling like she was intruding. "I came to bring some electronics and things that I collected from the other room. But it looks like you're just leaving. If you're going to find the captain, maybe I should come too."

She put the box down on the floor and waited for them to move.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2009, 17:55 
Veteran

"I'm not letting you go without one," Hayden insisted. "It's too dangerous. That tunnel is old and ruined, the old tracks going down are rusted, there's all kind of junk laying about, the whole thing is drenched in rainwater and mud, there are things growing down there, and it's on a dangerously steep incline, and those are just the natural hazards. Now put the damn vest on."

"It'd be better use on someone else," Wolf said stubbornly, giving a scornful glance at the climbing harness Hayden was shoving towards her. "I can get down easily enough."

Hayden stared at her for a long moment. "Are you suicidal, Captain? I don't encourage suicides. I've had to deal with enough attempts."

Wolf shook her head impatiently. She was about to say something else when she spotted two of her team members making their way towards her.

"Ah, good." She nodded to Icarus and Ute as they stopped in front of her and the still-frowning Hayden, pausing for a moment to examine the two Ravaged girls behind her. Apparently her youngest team members had found some friends. "You have something to report, I hope?"

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2009, 20:02 
Administrator

"Well of course I do." Icarus sent a look of mock hurt to Wolf, while taking the hackwatch from Evony and putting it on its own wrist with a satisfying click. It clicked the band around the face of the watch a few notches until the three dimensional model appeared again. "Hayden, Wolfy, may I interest you in a hopefully accurate map of the hospital?" It leaned in and put a hand to its mouth, "By the way, you might want to take this offer, 'cause if you're planning on going down that chute there, you're definitely going to want someone to navigate through what looks like a factory of some sort. Well obviously, not a factory underneath a hospital, but something that looks like one. I guess in a hospital it could be a--"

Hayden interrupted with an irritated look on his face, "Crematorium and boiler room, we know that already."

Icarus looked at him disbelievingly, "You go down there a lot, huh?"

"Certain ones of us have been there before, yes."

Icarus withdrew its hand with the watch and covered it with its other hand, also turning its back on Hayden. "You've come to a T in the corridors just beyond what looks like a morgue. Do you go left or right if you want to get out of the Basement?"

Hayden blinked, "Well, I mean, we haven't been down there that much. If I were there I could probably--" Evony coughed, and Hayden looked at her sharply, "Yes?"

"I think, she, um..."
"Called your bluff, Hayden." Jackie finished for her.

Hayden gave a heavy, rough sigh. "Fine." He grabbed the climbing harness tight and shoved it at Icarus, "You can come."

Icarus accepted the vest, but didn't put it on. "Excellent! Nice doing business with you Mr. ...Hayden did you say it was?"

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2009, 21:14 
Veteran

Wolf could not resist a proudly smug smile at Hayden's cross expression. "There you go, Hayden. A vest for someone who needs it more."

"Shut up." Hayden checked the straps on his own vest. "We still have one more."

"Yes, I suppose we do." Wolf grabbed the vest from the cracked box beside them and handed it to Ute. "Would you like to come help us investigate the basement, Ute?" she asked in a tone that implied it was not exactly a request.

Hayden growled and swore under his breath. "Fine! You win! Kill yourself, see if I care!" He snatched up the climbing gear and stalked off, two of the Ravaged nervously following behind him.

Wolf smiled and sauntered after him, hands deep in the pockets of her coat.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2009, 21:30 
Administrator

Icarus and the girls watched the scene mutely from the side, with wide eyes. As Wolf followed after the angry Hayden, Icarus poked Ute in the ribs again.

"Any clue what that was about?"

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2009, 17:21 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
"Egos?" Ute proffered. She really had no idea. But she knew the 'Weavers' party wouldn't need those vests.

"I wonder why the captain wants to go down there, though."

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2009, 10:13 
Veteran

Medals: 1
Funniest (1)
Hasbro noticed the group gathering over near a pit, saw Hayden argue with Wolf over some kind of vest-looking thing, and thought You know, I should probably be there right now. So he disappeared into the shadows and reemerged just as Ute stated her curiosity.

"Maybe there's something of importance down there. Or maybe she likes deep, dark, evil places. You never know with her."

Living in the limelight, the universal dream for those who wish to seem.
Those who wish to be must put aside the alienation,
Get on with the fascination,
The real relation,
The underlying theme.

The World From Here

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2009, 22:46 

Commer of the Year (1)
Never stood in the corner, her hands firmly in her pockets, looking around helplessly for something to do. She could not find her Captain, and she was unused to being around such large groups of proud people. She wished to be of use, but she was unsure of who to talk to, and there was no one around that looked approachable.

"Umm, lady?"

Looking down, Never met the eyes of a small, fire-haired girl with soft cornflower eyes and a hesitant smile. Upon further inspection, she also held a small, well-worn doll, which she held up for Never to see.

"Can you fix it? Mamma said you came with the people who came to help, which means you must be able to do something. You'd better."

Pouting, the girl pushed the doll closer to Never, who just stared down at her with glassy shock. This was a situation to which she was not accustomed. In her long life, she had never dealt with children on a regular basis, or even from a close distance. Vaguely she remembered chasing after a small, blue skinned, cherub-winged boy, and wrapping cloth around the private areas of numerous infants of all races, but that was different. Those were infants, who did not talk, and who she could hand back to their mothers as soon as they had been taken care of. Children were terrifying. They could cry and shout and then look at you like you had just killed their best friend, all over a broken popsicle stick. She knew it to be true, she had seen it with her own eyes.

Swallowing, Never knelt down in front of the child, and held her hands out for the doll. She met the girl's eyes again, and smiled hesitantly. Hopefully, she did not scare the girl. She did not believe that her smile was frightening. She happened to like it quite a bit, actually..

Luckily for Never's impeding mental breakdown, she was rewarded for her effort with a smile of the child's own.

"I'm Anna." The girl, Anna, lifted her chin a fraction of an inch as she watched Never study the doll and the ripped seam the traveled all along its side. Never smiled at Anna again, less hesitantly this time, and tapped the rip.

"I can fix this. I will not even need to sew it shut. I cannot replace the lost stuffing, but I can fix the rip..." She frowned. "That is fine with you, correct?"

Anna nodded, and giggled. "Cor-rect!"

Never frowned again, unsure if Anna was making fun of her speech. The girl did not seem to be speaking in a rude manner, so Never smiled in genuine amusement, and slid her finger along the broken seam, weaving the two sides of the gap into each other until there was no sign that the hole had ever been there. Handing the doll back to Anna, Never held out her hand. Anna, understanding, shook the offered hand with as much firmness as a small girl could muster, and smiled up at her new friend.

"What's your name?"

"I'm... Never."

Standing, Never looked, and saw her Captain, finally, with the other members of the Weavers. She waved to Anna, who said solemnly, "If you don't come back, I'll miss you, don't worry."

Touched, Never nodded, and then turned and walked quickly to join the others, her wings melting into her back. She stopped beside her Captain, and turned to Ike.

"What exactly is going on?"

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2009, 23:30 
Administrator

"Blamed if I know. Wolfy's keeping us waiting to go down in there while she does something with Hayden. I got a map, so I'm going. Ute's going," It gave Hasbro a funny face, "Hasbro's apparently doing whatever he does, and then you showed up. You now know everything I know. By the way, you meet the Sinclair twins yet?" Icarus jerked its head over to the girls standing next to him.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2009, 23:36 
Veteran

"Hey, Never." Wolf, spotting her lieutenant walking up, circled back around and took Hayden's momentary distraction at the hands of one of the Ravaged as an opportunity. "D'you think you could make a harness for Shadow? You and I don't even need to climb, but I don't want to hear any of my team's bones crunching today, if I can avoid it."

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2009, 02:19 

Commer of the Year (1)
Never shrugged. Hasbro was just like that. It wasn't always a bad thing.

She shook her head.

"Not yet, no. Care to introduce me?" She grinned and raised an eyebrow teasingly. "Or have you forgotten your manners, little Ike?"

Turning to her Captain, she placed a fist over her heart solemnly, her eyes crinkled slightly at the edges with hidden amusement.

"No worries, Captain, I would put them right back together." She looked at Hayden, then back to Wolf. "Are there sufficient amounts of cloth and such? I can attach the harnesses to them, if you wish."

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2009, 14:57 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
At Icarus' mention of the Sinclair twins, Ute turned to them and smiled. She had guessed they were the "Jackie and Evony" whom she had been told about, but she hadn't been formally introduced, since Icarus and they had just been on the point of leaving when she had arrived at their little cubby-hole.

Captain Wolfblade, meanwhile, had doubled back and returned to them, so she turned her attention to her commanding officer. The captain, it would seem, was keen for them all to wear the safety harnesses that she herself had argued against wearing when Hayden had been there. Ute hadn't considered them necessary. She had been expecting to teleport down the chute, either in stages, or in one go, depending on how far down it went. She hadn't planned on climbing. But maybe the captain wanted them to stick together during the descent. There might be safety in numbers, heading into the unknown in a place like this.

She picked up the vest, that still lay where it landed after the captain had thrown it to her.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2009, 18:55 
Veteran

Funniest (1)
"No," Hasbro replied. Then, to the twins, "I'm Second Lieutenant Shadowblade. Sinclair, was it?"

Living in the limelight, the universal dream for those who wish to seem.
Those who wish to be must put aside the alienation,
Get on with the fascination,
The real relation,
The underlying theme.

The World From Here

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2009, 20:51 
Administrator

Icarus ignored the comments from Wolf, seeing as they weren't directed at it anyways, instead darting behind the twins and pulling them together in something resembling an open-ended group hug. Leaning its head towards Evony first and then Jackie, Icarus introduced them. "Evony, Ute, Never, Hasbro; Jackie, Ute, Never, Hasbro; Ute, Evony, Jackie; Never, Evony, Jackie; Hasbro, Jackie, Evony." It finished its rapid-fire introduction with a wink at its swap. Evony gave a short laugh while Jackie just rolled her eyes. "Everyone, the Sinclair twins; Sinclair Twins, everyone. Except Wolf, who's actually standing behind us..." Icarus quickly and suddenly let go of the two and grabbed Evony wheelchair handles, spinning her around to face the Captain. "Wolfy, Evony; Evony, Wolf; Wolf, Jackie; Jackie, Wolf! That's everyone!" Icarus stopped for a breath, and only a breath, "Anyone have any food?"

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2009, 15:18 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
"You're actually hungry?" Ute questioned with some surprise. Icarus seemed to need so little food that it was rather unexpected to hear it asking for it when she herself didn't feel too empty. But now that her attention had been drawn to the subject, it struck her that she was in fact very hungry. She had merely been too busy to notice. The thought of food now was starting to make her mouth water.

"Captain," she asked, turning to Wolf, "how long do you expect us to be down there? Maybe we should try to eat before we set off."

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next