All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Something For You
PostPosted: 07 Jun 2009, 13:55 

Medals: 1
Commer of the Year (1)
Never held the thing she'd defeated by one bony arm-claw. It was dead, thanks to a thin shard of steel embedded in its brain, but it was still intact, and Never poked it with a thin metal stick.

"Ike, what is this? Have you ever seen the like of it before? I've seen something similar, but it was ages ago, and the appearance was somewhat different..."

Setting the thing on the floor, she located her gun, and then stopped and sniffed the air. Repeating the action, she made a noise that almost sounded like a happy yelp, and promptly began digging through a pile of stuff, finally extracting a small brown drawstring pouch made of a material that resembled leather. She sniffed it, then opened it and sniffed the contents before drawing them out and rubbing them against her cheek. The contents themselves were uninteresting, just a small handful of dried leaves, but Never knew their value. The name of the plant had long escaped her, but she knew it was a powerful healing herb, that it was from her home world, and that this pouch was hers.

"I do adore surprises." She put the contents back in the pouch, tied the strings of the pouch around her belt, and then stood.

"Either I have been here before, or the thief who took my pouch came here... or both." Muttering to herself, she holstered her gun and ran her fingers over the pouch before rejoining the others.

Looking the Captain over for wounds, Never frowned. During the battle, Wolf had been... different. Faster. Perhaps it had something to do with this building. Whichever, this whole thing was making her uncomfortable. This building was old, and the glass flickered with images of things that Never would much rather stay forgotten. When they had been running through the hallway, Never had watched the glass, and watched the faces that had swirled in it. Some of them had spoken to her, but she couldn't quite recall what they'd said. Only that there'd been names, and laughter. One name, weaved in among the rest. Someone's name. Her name? Never had had so many names in her lifetime, she had forgotten which one was her original name.

"Captain, will we be heading back now?"

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2009, 14:47 
Administrator

Medals: 20
Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
Icarus riffled through the contents of the backpack, not finding any weapons, just its standard gadgets.

"Pff, beats me. I doubt just these could collect and hide all this stuff though. And they're not stupid; I mean, they were kinda sorta cooperating in their attack, each one going after someone else. I'd bet there's more. Maybe a leader of some sort too." ICarus poked their guide in the ribs as it shouldered the backpack, feeling comfortable with its familiar weight. "Eh, wanna fill us in on these things, or you gonna just stand their like Ewan does?"

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2009, 21:42 
Veteran

Funniest (1)
Hasbro strapped his weapon belt around his waist, hid the rest of his knives in the folds of clothing, and then turned to Ike.
"Some kind of extradimensional freak, maybe? That thing moved a hell of a lot faster than it should be able to, given its size. I mean, I couldn't make out the form of it while I was fighting, just a blur."

Living in the limelight, the universal dream for those who wish to seem.
Those who wish to be must put aside the alienation,
Get on with the fascination,
The real relation,
The underlying theme.

The World From Here

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2009, 17:24 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Ute stood listening as the discussion went back and forth. She had no wisdom of her own to add, but she was very interested in Lieutenant Neverblade's assertion that she had seen creatures of this type before. And Lieutenant Shadowblade was certainly right about their speed. They had been uncannily fast. Was it possible that they could be from outside this dimension that they found themselves in?

She waited to see if their guide could shed any light on matters.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2009, 17:27 

Commer of the Year (1)
Never picked up the creature again and held it towards Hasbro.

"Here is your chance."

Setting it on the floor next to his feet, she started rummaging in the junk, grabbing steel and putting it in a rough pile next to her. She rooted out a few other odd things, a couple gems, a gold necklace, and more metal.

Holding the gems and the necklace up, she examined them. One of the gems was most certainly from the Second World, or someplace like it. She had never seen anything else like it, a glittering crystal prism that glimmered with a touch of fire at its heart. They were beautiful, but worthless in their world of origin. The other two gems were a deep blue with elegant spirals of silver winding through them. The gold necklace was generic, a braided cord with a clasp at both ends. She pocketed the fire crystal for her collection, and held out the other gems and necklace to Wolf.

"Do you think I should give this to Hayden, or would you rather take it?"

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2009, 18:46 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
Wolf shrugged. "Give them to Hayden, if he wants them. I have no use for jewels."
Their guide was rummaging through the mess with a fascinated look on his face. "My God. The things we could do with these....things." He stood up, holding an elegantly carved knife in one hand and a fine watch in the other. He appeared to become aware of the conversation very suddenly and shook his head. "We don't know much about these creatures, only that they have been poaching from us ever since we arrived. They seem to live to collect lost things....Jakol has theorised that they represent some kind of niche in the hospital. He says that with everything out of whack in this place, things appear to fill gaps. Everyone wonders where their missing stuff goes, right? It just seems to vanish into thin air. Jakol things that enough belief and energy have combined to actually create something that does make lost things disappear."
He shrugged again. "I have no idea if he's right. Would one or two of you mind accompanying me back to the Hall? I need to bring up some more numbers to go through this stuff and transport it back, and traveling alone in here is never a good idea."

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2009, 18:48 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Icarus hovered by the door, waiting for the others to finish. It tried not to be impatient, but it seemed like they would always take forever, whereever they were in this world. Maybe it was the things floating around in the windows, whatever the crap they were, but the Weavers had done far more standing around and talking in dark, unsecured hallways in this world than they had anywhere else Icarus had been with them. Not that he didn't like chilling for a moment, but how were the Weavers--or their guide for that matter, what was his problem? Didn't he know this place?--to know that an entire band of armed...things, weren't about to turn the corner and go for their throats?

It was all rather unnerving to Icarus. It stepped back into the room with the loot and pulled open its backpack, holding it close to the ground and shoving stuff in.

"Here, just put it all in my pack and we can sort it out when we get back to the big room. No problem there, right?"

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2009, 16:43 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
"And if you want more than will fit in Icarus' pack," Ute added, I could teleport back here with a sack, now that I know where "here" is, or even with a blanket, if you don't have a sack. So could Lieutenant Shadowblade. No need to endanger any more of your people; we could avoid the corridors altogether."

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2009, 21:34 
Veteran

Funniest (1)
"Assuming that the rooms are safer than the corridors. Maybe everything that's dangerous stays out of the halls because they figure that everything else dangerous is in the halls, and don't really feel like getting killed. But still, we know this room and the one housing the Ravaged are safe, for now, at least, so we can travel in between them."

The real relation,
The underlying theme.

The World From Here

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2009, 10:06 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
"That's what I was thinking," Ute agreed. "This room is close enough to 'port to in one jump. Even if more of those creatures return, two of us should be able to fight them off. They are fast, but not strong."

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2009, 11:47 
Administrator

Icarus stopped shoving stuff into the backpack to look up at the two, "Remind me again how we know this room is safe? We just had three mini-assassin-things jump out of it trying to kill us."

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2009, 13:26 
Veteran

Funniest (1)
Hasbro snorted and, with one swift movement, flicked two knives into his hands. "That's how we know it's safe. These blades have made mincemeat of things nastier than I care to remember."

The real relation,
The underlying theme.

The World From Here

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2009, 18:35 
Administrator

"Well forgive me if I'm not totally secure in the thought of you, who had enough trouble with one of those, versus a horde of them."

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2009, 18:47 

Commer of the Year (1)
Never turned away to search the corners of the room, her eyes crinkled in silent laughter. Thinly coating her shoes with steel, she moved aside piles of debris, until she'd searched everything on the floor.

"Well, they are certainly not inside any of the piles of junk, not that anything with sense would voluntarily crawl inside one of those... Ike, would you happen to have any helpful gadgets on hand to aid in sensing these creatures?"

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2009, 19:01 
Administrator

"Well I don't really know until we have another live one. I mean, I can tell you right now they aren't ID-based, so there's nothing special there." It shrugged its shoulder to point out the backpack, "And apparently when I packed this thing I didn't have hunting in mind. There's only some really basic stuff." Icarus smiled though. "I do have some mapping gear, luckily."

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2009, 20:27 
Veteran

Funniest (1)
Hasbro pointedly ignored Ike's snide remark, and continued with his life.

"Good," Hasbro said. "We can finally make a map of this place. That would need exploration of the place, though, but I'm up for it if you are."

The real relation,
The underlying theme.

The World From Here

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2009, 18:57 
Veteran

Wolf started, realizing she'd been listening to the conversation listlessly. She'd been a bystander in many of the the exchanges among her team, but usually she paid more attention than this. It was those voices again, surely, weaving words around her. The sooner they got out of this place, the better.
She voiced her opinion. "I'd rather we just found out what's going on and left. I don't like it here-it's just not right." She nodded to Shadow. "If you and Ute want to help our fine friend here transport some things, go ahead-but for God's sake try to keep out of trouble. Try to avoid any massive undead armies lead by blights against Creation, hmm?"
Shadow winced.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2009, 09:37 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Ute nodded emphatically.

"I promise not to fight anything. If there are any problems, I shall 'port straight back."

She picked her way over the mounds of assorted items towards their guide, and began discussing with him what sorts of things they could make the best use of. Unlike Icarus, she could only carry a single armful, and she picked out a selection of the most useful looking articles. Having acquired as much as she could carry, she returned to the guide.

"Would you like me to take you back to your friends? I can teleport with a passenger."

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2009, 16:32 
Veteran

The guide paused, then shook his head. "No. Hayden told me to stay with you, and I will. But, what you could do is teleport back and bring someone along with some sacks and baskets or such, since I really doubt we could bring all this along in one go anyway." He gestured at the piles of random objects that obscured the room walls. "Ask Hayden-he'd have a good idea of who to send."

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2009, 12:58 
Veteran

Funniest (1)
"If it's alright with you, chief?" Hasbro asked. "Ute and I will go ahead and 'port to base, and then 'port back with more stuff."

The real relation,
The underlying theme.

The World From Here

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2009, 14:24 
Veteran

"I said yes, didn't I?" Wolf nodded to her teleporters. "Just be careful."

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2009, 15:44 
Veteran

Funniest (1)
"Rightio," Hasbro said. "Ute, with me." With that, he grabbed an armful of equipment, mindful in case any of it was easily breakable, and shadowstepped. The darkness enfolded him in its sweet embrace, and when he opened his eyes again, he was in the Ravaged's room. He set the stuff down, careful, and teleported back.

The real relation,
The underlying theme.

The World From Here

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2009, 18:31 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Ute, already carrying all she could, acknowledged her superior's command and followed his example. Almost instantly she was back in the crowded room where they had spent the night. She was a little surprised when the lieutenant set down his load and disappeared again. Ute carefully placed her armful of clutter beside his on the floor. She was aware of many eyes staring at her, not interested in her as such, despite her unusual mode of arrival, but in the pile of new equipment. She looked up at the nearest faces and smiled, before standing up and surveying the room in search of Hayden.

The lean, dark-haired figure was easy spot: he was already moving towards her.

"What did you discover?" he asked, as soon as he was close enough to speak without raising his voice. "Where are the rest of the party?"

"They're safe," Ute reassured him. "We ran into some strange, aggressive little creatures, but after we defeated them, we discovered that they were hoarders. We found our belongings, and these." She indicated the pile of assorted oddments beside her. "There is a whole room full of this stuff. Your guide has remained with our party, and Icarus is collecting things in its backpack to bring back here. The guide suggested that we teleporters - " she gestured vaguely in the direction of where Hasbro had stood a moment ago " - could come back to fetch one of your people and some containers to carry more of it in. Do you have any sacks?"

Hayden stared in amazement at both Ute and the mess on the floor for just a fraction of a second before resuming his air of authority and calling over one of his people, a biggish man of around 30, with curly, sandy-coloured hair.

"Rick, see if you can find some sacks. If not, get some of the larger cardboard boxes." He turned back to Ute. "How are you planning to get back? We don't have any teleporters we can send with you. You'll have to go on foot. Maybe I should send more than one person to give extra protection."

Ute smiled reassuringly at Hayden. "It's ok. One person will be safer. I can teleport with an extra person. The other Riftweavers will be there to offer protection when we arrive. But thank you for your offer."

Rick duly returned with two sacks and a box and Hayden took him aside. Ute saw Rick glance at her with a look of apprehension, but eventually he nodded, said something to his leader, and then came back over to her. "I guess I'm as ready as I ever will be, he said."

"There's nothing to worry about," Ute assured him, carefully keeping quiet about the fact that she'd teleported with a passenger for the first time only a short while ago. She took a firm hold of the man's arm and seconds later they were back in the treasure room with the Riftweavers.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2009, 18:57 
Administrator

Icarus laid it's backpack aside and sat down with its back against a wall, moving aside a mound of "stuff" to do so. All things considered, Icarus wondered where all these things had come from if the Ravaged were so hard up anyways. And how did they survive in the first place if they never left the hospital? It's not as if they could scrounge for wild berries and maize in a building. Mushrooms. Maybe.

But, such was not its concern, and it set about getting some sort of map ready. Such was, regrettably, much more easily said than done; the place didn't seem to have any navsat system in place outside to connect to, and there weren't any local networks to leech off of. It hadn't expected a local system anyways. Icarus didn't know the history of the world this place came from or what time period the hospital come or even how long the Ravaged had been here, but just looking at the place: it was old. Too old for an electronic age at any rate, which made network leeching useless. There were always other options though.

Icarus stood back up and tapped their guide on the shoulder to get his attention. "Hey, is that big room we started off in close to the middle of the building?"

"It's central enough, why?"

"Just want to try something is all." Luckily it was that moment that Hasbro appeared back in the room, looking for more to carry. Icarus grabbed its backpack and crammed the hackwatch it'd been using inside quickly before grabbing him. "Hey Hasbro, could I hitch a ride back to the big room real quick? I need to set up a gathering station."

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2009, 21:03 
Veteran

Funniest (1)
Hasbro shrugged. "Sure, if you can handle it. I've seen you Jump before, and it's not pretty. But, if you want to." When Ike had successfully latched onto Hasbro's arm, he stepped into the shadows and disappeared. To him, it was just another journey through time and space, but who knows what it was like for his passenger. When he stepped out of the shadows, they were in the large room once more.

The real relation,
The underlying theme.

The World From Here

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next