All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Something For You
PostPosted: 09 Apr 2009, 17:21 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
Things aren't right here...

A thousand years or more of instinct behind her, Wolf found herself clambering to her feet before she was even fully conscious. One hand found a knife at her belt and she turned, her coat swirling around her.

Her team lay unconscious around her. Wolf did a quick headcount-Never, Hasbro, Icarus, Ute. She checked them all, tilting their pale faces upwards and checking their wrists for a strong pulse. As fas as she could tell, they were all safe and fine, but out cold.

What caused this?

Wolf examined the room she had found herself in. It was bare and gray, with a shaft of dirty sunlight coming in from one cracked window high up. Dust and spiderwebs lay thick in the corners, the lighter dust on the floor broken all over by footprints. A doorway long since bereft of a door led into a corridor that vanished into darkness within a few paces.

What is this place, and why are we here?

Wolf stared down the length of the hallway, trying to recall her last actions, but everything was a blur. Shaking her head, she knelt down next to Ute, gently shaking her, waiting for the Riftweavers to rise.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2009, 17:49 

Medals: 1
Commer of the Year (1)
Never blinked twice, sprang onto her feet, and, seeing the current situation she and her companions were in, began swearing under her breath. She had quite a large vocabulary of curses, having been exposed to many different tongues in her long lifetime. When she was finished cursing in one language, she moved onto another, until she got bored.

Standing, she brushed herself off and checked herself over for any injuries before moving to kneel beside Icarus. He was unconscious, but otherwise seemed fairly healthy, though the face her currently wore was a bit pale.

"Captain, are you uninjured?" She looked over at her Captain with a trace of worry in her eyes. It bothered her that she had been unconscious. An unconscious person was of no help to anyone.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2009, 17:51 
Dino

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Ute was lying under a tree in an apple orchard, trying to count the apples on the branches. It was a warm sunny afternoon and she wanted to relax, but she knew she had to get all the apples counted. But each time she started, a horse came up and nudged her in the shoulder and made her lose count. She started to feel irritated. She turned to shoo the horse away and, as she did so, it suddenly turned into a human, and it was trying to shake her.

Gradually Ute's mind drifted back to consciousness and the dream faded. But the shaking didn't. She opened her eyes. Captain Wolfblade was bending over her. Ute gasped.

"Captain! I'm sorry! Did I doze off?"

Ute started to sit up and suddenly noticed her surroundings. This wasn't where she had been before she fell asleep. In fact, this didn't look like any part of their base. It was a grey, dusty, empty room. She didn't recognise it at all.

"Where are we?" she asked, and then saw Icarus and Hasbro lying sprawled on the floor. She gasped again. "What's happened?! Are they dead?!"

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2009, 19:08 
Veteran

Funniest (1)
Just as Julia gasped, Hasbro sprang up, hands and feet whirling, prepared to deliver a smackdown on whoever had done this. He touched nobody. His eyes opened, ears and muscles tense for the slightest sound. There were people beside him. People. It took him a moment to recognize who they were. His companions. His comrades, fellows-in-arms. Never, Ute, and Wolf were up. Icarus still lay facedown on the floor beside him.
"Who did this?" he growled.

Living in the limelight, the universal dream for those who wish to seem.
Those who wish to be must put aside the alienation,
Get on with the fascination,
The real relation,
The underlying theme.

The World From Here

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2009, 21:37 
Veteran

Wolf raised a hand. "Calm down, everybody." She helped a shaking Ute to her feet. "No one is dead. I'm fine, Never. I don't know how we got here, but..." She paused, trying to think. "...this isn't the first time I've had my memories screwed with. Probably won't be the last. I don't like it, but I've gotten used to it. We'll figure it out. Right now, the best thing is to stay calm and get everyone moving again." She crouched next to Icarus, shaking him gently. "Come on, Ike."

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2009, 12:26 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
While the captain tried to rouse Icarus, Ute went and peered through the doorway. Outside all was dark and silent. She looked up at the window, wondering whether she could teleport up there and take a look outside, but it didn't look like there was anything she could grab hold of once she got up there. It would be better for someone who could fly to check it out. Ute paced the room, feeling frustrated. She wanted to do something useful while she waited, but there didn't appear to be anything to do.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2009, 12:48 
Veteran

Wolf eased herself back up. "I'm going to take a look at that window."

She flew up towards it, enjoying the feeling of moving through the air. The window was smudged and stained, a good yard above any tall human's head. Through it she saw an overgrown field surrounded by trees. By the looks of it, it was late summer outside, the gold grass in the field just starting to turn brown, the emerald leaves on the trees darkening at the edges and the flowers wilting. Storm clouds were gathering slowly, and the sky had taken on a yellowish color, the sun was shining too brightly through a thick scatter of off-white clouds that obscured the blue sky around it.
Wolf stared out at the scene, troubled by it. There was something off about it, something not exactly right. It only took her a moment to figure it out.
Nothing was moving.
No breeze stirred the grass or swayed the trees, no insects buzzed in the air, the clouds did not shift or move in the sky. Everything was perfectly still. The landscape suddenly seemed eerie and strange. Wolf pulled herself away from the window and landed on the floor, unsettled.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2009, 16:51 
Veteran

Funniest (1)
Hasbro could tell something was wrong as soon as Wolf landed. Something in the way she dropped onto the floor was less controlled than it had been in a long while. No, something was wrong, and he intended to find out what. So he asked.
"Hey Wolf. What did you see?"

The real relation,
The underlying theme.

The World From Here

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2009, 17:45 
Veteran

Wolf quickly outlined what she had seen from the window. "As if we needed any more signs that something is very wrong here."
She glanced at Icarus, still sleeping. "Any change from Ike?"

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2009, 09:43 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
In response to Captain Wolfblade's question, Ute went over to where Icarus was lying. His breathing was steady and slow. He appeared simply to be asleep. Ute gave him a gentle shake, just as the captain had done to her, but he didn't stir.

"No change, Captain," she reported. "What shall we do about him?"

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2009, 10:16 

Commer of the Year (1)
Never shrugged.

"We are not going to be leaving this building until he awakens, if we can leave at all. There is nothing we can do to speed his awakening, so I say we leave him be for the moment."

With a push, she lifted off the ground, flying up to hover by the window. She pressed one hand onto the glass and stared out into the silent world beyond.

"Would you like me to get rid of the glass, Captain?"

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2009, 10:36 
Veteran

Wolf jumped up and grabbed Never by the wrist. "Don't-don't do that. Really. It...wouldn't be a good idea."

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2009, 20:08 

Commer of the Year (1)
Never nodded.

"I would have not done it without your command, do not worry."

She drifted back to the ground and sat, folding her wings into her body. This room made her nauseous, and she wanted out. There was something bad about it, and it was much too small. There were no clues as to where it was, or why they were even there. If someone had brought them there, Never hoped they showed up soon. She wanted answers.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2009, 13:20 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Ute sat down beside the sleeping Icarus. She was worried about him. The others had all woken within a few minutes of each other. Why hadn't he? And with him unconscious, their hands were tied. They couldn't leave him here, and if they carried him with them and they ran into trouble, having to protect him while fighting could endanger them all. She stared in the direction of the doorway, contemplating.

"Captain," she said eventually, "would it be possible to create a gate back to Asgard, take Icarus back to Midgard Below, and then return here to investigate? If he woke up soon afterwards, he could trace our ID energy and follow us here."

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2009, 20:34 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
"Like a hundred pictures hanging on the wall."

"Yes. And no."

"Yes and no?"

"Define picture James. Anything can be a picture. A painting, a mental state, a memory. A life."

Icarus woke without a jolt, not even a movement besides its lips. "That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard." Realizing the uncomfortable position it was in, Icarus rolled over and wrinkled its nose, folding its arms up to prop up its head and looking at the rest of the weavers standing around it in the bleak room. Ute was seated rigidly nearest it, a look of almost naive concern on her face. Never, as usual, had a look of cool calculation on her face, while Hasbro looked stern and alert, and Wolf looked simply perplexed, maybe a bit irritated. Not that Icarus wouldn't be in their situation.

It blinked. Ooo, wait a second...what is our situation anyways?

"Sorry if I missed anything, I, uh, well, you know." It sat up and instead used its gray arms to prop itself up as it sat crosslegged and leaned slightly back. "Mind filling me in on what kind of mortally perilous place we're in now? And nobody has my pack, do they?"

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2009, 20:39 
Veteran

Wolf smiled. "Nobody really knows at this point, and no, 'fraid not." She bent down so she was eye to eye with the younger Weaver. "You alright? You took a while to wake up. Any injuries? Concussion? How many fingers am I holding up?"

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2009, 20:54 

Commer of the Year (1)
Never watched Ike wake up and carefully checked him over with her eyes. He looked fine, and if he was well enough to worry about his knapsack, then there was no need for her to be worrying about his health.

"You have not missed much. None of us know much about our current situation, besides the fact that outside this room lies a strange and dangerous world."

She leaned against one of the walls and ran a finger along it. It was smooth, and she couldn't tell what it was made of. It felt almost like metal, but stranger. Most likely, it was this world's version of metal. Strong, durable, white...

"We're in a prison cell, are we not?"

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2009, 20:54 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Icarus stood up and swatted Wolf's hand away. "I can see your darn fingers. I'm fine, just a little...disoriented." It slumped its shoulders in dismay at the response about the pack. "Figures. I'm kinda useless without my pack if we need to do anything tricky with natives. Do we know anything about natives yet? All my gadgets were in my pack too..."

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2009, 21:01 
Veteran

"It is a pretty ineffective prison cell that has no door," Wolf said dryly. "And no, we know nothing about the natives. For all we know, there are none. But Icarus has brought up a good point. Everyone, check your inventories. I want to know what gear and what weapons we have, and how well they're working."

Wolf checked her own pockets, which took a while. She was wearing her coat over her usual working clothes, but found that there was almost nothing left in her pockets, save a few odd trinkets, all more or less useless, and she had nothing left of her weapons. The rest of the team yielded the same results. Wolf sighed: no gear, no weapons, no memories, no idea. She shrugged. There was only one thing to do now.
She led the Riftweavers through the open doorway into a lightless hall.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2009, 21:18 
Administrator

Icarus didn't bother checking the status of its inventory. Nearly everything it carried while in base form was in the pack, as the the clothes it wore while in this form only had two large cargo pockets--and it'd have felt anything in them hitting its leg. Icarus followed the rest out slowly, taking absorbing looks about the room as it left. It felt rather bad about apparently being the last one to have woken up, but didn't let the thought trouble it overmuch. From the feel of things, it hadn't slowed them down much, and besides, somebody had to be last.

What felt more disconcerting was the fact that all five were walking into a black maw with no light, no weapons, and no clue as to what could be in there or where they were to begin with. Icarus resisted the urge to express how rash this seemed, knowing that really, they had no other choice.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2009, 21:29 

Commer of the Year (1)
Never checked her pockets, and shrugged. She did not carry much in the way of weaponry, but her gun was missing, and that irritated her. That gun had been useful, and she wanted it back. When she discovered the culprit behind this unwilling adventure, she would make them pay, no doubt about it. Luckily, whoever had stolen her weapon had left her watch.

Thank goodness. Never sighed and rubbed the crystal face of the watch lovingly. It was still in perfect working order, recording every second of time. There were so many dials and hands it was impossible for most people to read, but she could tell the time perfectly. It had been exactly 2,623,499 years, 6 months, 4 weeks, 3 days, 17 hours, 16 minutes, and 33 seconds since she left home, in the time of her home world. In Earth years it would only be around 2,000 years. Time passed so much faster back in her home world.

Never followed Wolf, staying just behind her right shoulder.

"Just for curiosity's sake, what time is it back at Midgard?"

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2009, 21:35 
Administrator

Icarus saw Never rub at her novelty and spoke up with a voice much more chipper than it felt in response. "Who can tell? I know I don't have my watch, literally nothing but the clothes on my back. Anyone else?" Seeing some shakes of the head, it added, "You're lucky you have that still."

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2009, 07:55 
Veteran

Funniest (1)
Hasbro was pleased at the darkness. With this, if and when they got in any trouble, he could use his shadowstep to no end. True, it hampered everyone else, but to him, the dark was like a key to unlock his true potential. Of course, he hoped not to have to use it, but if everyone else kept being so loud, they might have no choice.
"We'll need to find our equipment," he pointed out. "I think that should be the first order of business. Without our equipment, we can't really do anthing else. And we can't replace it."

The real relation,
The underlying theme.

The World From Here

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2009, 10:35 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Ute had no need to check her inventory. She had noticed as soon as she awoke that the belt carrying her dagger and an accessory pouch had disappeared, and the pockets of her skin-tight trousers were virtually useless for keeping anything in. She knew she had nothing on her person.

She looked about nervously as they proceeded down the dark hallway. There was just enough light reaching them from the room they had left for her to make out the floor and walls immediately around her, but she couldn't see more than a few paces ahead.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2009, 13:58 
Veteran

Wolf carefully led them down the dark corridor, straining her eyes to see ahead of her. The hall was almost completely dark, with no source of illumination save the dying glow from the room they had left. They walked for several minutes, conversation withering away until the only sound was the shuffle of their feet across the tiled floor.
After what seemed far too long, Wolf saw light up ahead. The corridor opened up into a large, desolate room, lit by grimy shafts of sunlight coming from the huge, glassless windows set into one wall. The room was littered with junk, what looked like old cloth sacks and empty bottles sunk into pools of stagnant water that had collected on the floor. There were a few muddy footprints tracked around the hall. They seemed to come from nowhere, although they clearly led out the door on the other end of the room. Wolf carefully walked over and looked out the windows. From this side of the building, she could see a vast field stretching away, bent and dry under the heat of summer. The sun was setting, blood red and filling the sky with fire.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next