All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 23 Dec 2013, 22:19 
Dino

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
"Sure," Magda replied, her voice equally low. "Once we know what we're going into I'll make sure we're stocked with whatever we're likely to need - including the immuno-suppressants. Probably got a couple in the pack already - you never know if someone might stumble across something they suddenly find they're dangerously allergic to when we're out in the field. But I'll make up another set, specifically tailored to you."

Then, keeping her voice subdued, she asked him, "What do you know about the new guy? I've heard of those Kōen-engineered soldiers. Read a report on them in one of the medical journals. Struck me as a bit dodgy, to tell the truth. Probably useful if you need a ready-made army in a hurry, but though I wasn't being serious when I asked if he was a droid, the paper implied they were little more than droids - robots in human skin, almost. This guy sounded like he could think for himself so he must be some kind of special advanced class or something, but I haven't seen any published research on his type. Does he have normal human brain functions? Couldn't get much on him from the scan, other than that he's chock-full of metal, like he said. If his biology and augments block scans he'd better not get himself hurt too badly - hard to fix injuries reliably if I can't see what's going on inside my patient."

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2013, 23:07 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Newcomer (1) Most Serious (1) The Merger Contest (1)
Noah heard Cormag muttering something about Immunosupressants, and then Magda answering him.

Must be the Medic, he thought, but he did not think to listen in until he heard the Word Kōen pronounced. He was not a normal Person, he knew, but he was reasonably certain that he could think and feel about the same as one; Dr. Mori had implied as much shortly before she had left him, and had told him about the Law that might force Kōen to release him...

He did not get hurt often, but here was a Doctor: that was far better than an average Field Medic; he wondered if she might be able to help him understand some Data the real Nature of which eluded him, but could he trust her? She had been rather intrusive with her Scanning, but perhaps she only meant to collect Data so she would know how to treat him. She mentioned having been joking, but she had proved hard for him to read... And what was her Name? Magda? She had not introduced herself, but Noah had seen it written in the Messages sent by Cormag, presumably to Wulf, and in the one that returned. There was something familiar about it. He pulled out what looked to be a Handheld Computer several Sizes too small and tinkered with it. He held it rather close to his Face, and appeared to interact with it by Gesture rather than using the Touchscreen directly.

Dr. Magda Feinmann, formerly of Tondam, who are trying to collect for a prosthetic Arm... he pondered after some Seconds of scanning Things . No more likely in with them, and thinks Kōen sketchy enough, and that they are; there would be worse People to ask for Help.

Noah wanted to say something, but was not certain what at first; he slackened his Pace a little, so that he ended up walking beside Magda.

'I'm a free Agent, I do this because I like it,' he muttered to her. 'Sorry for scrambling your Scan — I didn't realise you needed medical Data — but my electric Field makes it hard for Scanners to work anyway. I've had to be private about that Kind of Thing since I left Kōen...'

He stopped rather abruptly when he saw that he was about to step into Mengfu's Office.

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2014, 14:47 

The group came to halt right in front of, and for a moment Cormag actually considered ringing the doorbell. He cut the sentiment short, however, opening the door and waltzing right in.

"Business as usual, I see"

He heard Mengfu's nonchalant statement as he planted himself on the coach right before Mengfu's desk. He could not help but snicker to himself. It was certainly a boon to be part of the spec ops teams. Briefings were just infinitely more comfortable in Mengfu's private office than in the briefing room.

---

Mengfu observed the gathered team. Oddballs they were for mercenaries. The newcomer towered above all of them, a Kōen product of the most ridiculous sort. Tatsu's were some of the most feared shock troopers in the galaxy and the advanced Augmentation of this specific unit was straight off the charts. If augmentations like that became far spread - Mengfu guessed - firearms needed a major overhaul, metal slugs just would not cut it any longer. But far more impressive than the technology itself was the fact that this unit - no this Noah Rajueil as he called himself - was self-aware. Why Kōen would refrain from their usual conditioning on this Noah was quite the riddle.

He nooded towards Noah, "I see that you have acquainted yourself with your future comrades. Very well, this spares me the effort of briefing you personally."

The main stay of the spec ops team did not pale on terms of weirdness, either. Magda Feinmann, sporting the usual down-to-business look of a merc, nonetless baffled most people at closer inspection. Personal history aside, you'd rarely find anyone with academic interests on the front lines, much less a highly qualified - and quite well reknowned - scientist.

Wulf Argoyle would have appeared very normal anywhere but on a merc gig. Wulf's been mistaken for a common salaryman more often than not - much to Mengfu's amusement even on the battlefield. Neither demeanor or appearance would ever betray the fact that this guy was little short of being hell itself unleashed on the battlefield.

And then there was Cormag. In terms of oddness, it appeared that at least four men were fit into that small frame of his. Some days Mengfu really questioned why he'd even bother with all the shit Cormag was giving him. But he held the record of longest surviving pointman in Fenris' history. Mengfu was pretty sure that not all of that midget's grit came from his augmentations.

After he was done with his short musings about the team, Mengfu hit a button on his keyboard, having the LCD coating on the wall behind him spring into action, providing additional information and schematics as he got ahead with the briefing.

---

"The main branch has commisioned us, meaning the Fenris Corp. garrison at Artemis station, to deal with a special task commisioned by the Tondam Corporation.", while it was not usual procedure to provide details above the contractee, Mengfu had decided long ago - Back on that damned gig on Minos Prime, when he was still running in a squad with Wulf and Cormag - that need-to-know extended much further than what the branch dictated, "Specifically, their branch for Xenotechnology. Their operatives had uncovered a relic that apparently proved the existence of a extinct space faring civilization predating humanity by millenia.", the screen behind him lightened up to show a diagram specifing the planet the artifact was discovered, the route the operatives took to bring it back - cut short halfway back to artemis station - as well as photographs of the artifact. It did not look overly impressive, a crystalline construct - not unlike some of the commonly used data storage crystals - framed by what appeared to be an antiquated circuit board, the only remarkable thing about the artifact was it's state of decay - or lack thereof. "It turned out that keeping Fenris out of the loop on their venture into No-Sec was not the smartest decision ever made by the Tondam Corporation. As the pirate group known as 'Nova Blood' liberated the investigation team of both their lives and their cargo"

He paused for a moment as the image behind him switched over to an operations plan, "So now it falls to us to recover their little toy.", he sneered, "As we do not have the necessary ressources to launch a fleet that far into No-Sec on short notice, you are tasked with performing a deep cover operation. For this case you will be stationed aboard a Assault shuttle outfitted with an FTL drive. Furthermore I have arranged for a somewhat amicable Nova Blood priate captain to pick your shuttle up in a side branch of the outer arm and deliver you right into the respective Nova Blood base. Although the necessary benifits of cooperation and disadvantages of betrayal have been made very clear to the respective pirate captain, it is part of your task to supervise this individual, and if doubts about the captain's intentions surface you are licensed to use lethal force to any extent you consider necessary."

He waited a second to give the team time to contemplate the initial stages of the operation, "On locating and retrieving the package on the pirate base, you are to scramble their defense systems with an specially commisioned computer virus - which you will receive on the shuttle - and then outrun any possible pursiuers. If matters do not proceed as planned, you are to secure the station and use its FTL comms to send a distress call." - Channel information showed up on the screen - "It might be a drag, but we will have mustered a sizable task force by then."

He sat back down on his chair and crossed his arms, "Any questions?"

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2014, 16:06 
Veteran

Noah very carefully sat in a Chair near the Sofa onto which Cormag had rather unceremoniously deposited himself. He had learnt early that most Furnishings were not made to carry Men of his Weight, so he often fretted over breaking Furnighings because he did not particularly like to find himself sitting on the Floor. The Room itself was much nicer than those he had before encountered, and the Man at the Desk — that would be Mengfu, he guessed — looked professional enough.

---

Noah attended to the Briefing with a Measure of visible Interest: the Device sounded to him like something from a Story in a Pulp Ezine rather than a real Target, but he imagined the Thing would be rather less-interesting in Person. As long as he was paid, he supposed that how interesting the Target Object was ought to be irrelevant to him; he found it rather odd that he was being told such clearly sensitive Information at all, and wondered if that meant he ought to be more suspicious, if it meant that far more were being concealed, or if it meant it might be worth his While to make more permanent Arrangements with this Organisation. All told, the Information and Method seemed clear enough, though he was uncertain about the Trustworthiness of a Pirate Captain, and that the Group were simply to place themselves in his Hands struck him as more than a little strange.

'What, may I ask, does this Captain gain from helping us?' Noah said, and he looked rather concerned. 'If it isn't something which outweighs what he stands to lose, which might include his good Standing within his own Organisation and with it his Life, I have immediate Doubts about what it is that he means to do.'

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2014, 13:05 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Magda pulled a chair over from by the wall and plonked it down beside the sofa before removing her backpack, sitting down and crossing her right leg over her left. The backpack she placed in her lap and rested her arms on it. There was still space beside Cormag on the sofa, but the seats of lounge furniture were lower than those of office chairs and she didn't like the sensation of being looked down on by Mengfu.

The opening words of his briefing were enough to make her groan inwardly. She was trying to avoid Tondam, not work for them!

"I trust," she said in response to Mengfu's invitation for questions, "that this mission's a black box as far as the client is concerned - so long as we get the job done they won't start asking about how or, more importantly, who? You know how things stand between me and Tondam."

She paused for a moment and then added, "And like..." she looked across at the big man, "...Noah, was it?... I also have misgivings about this pirate captain. He must have been promised something pretty major if he's willing to take that kind of risk, and I can't help wondering whether he's got some ulterior motive, not to mention that having to supervise him is going to detract from the level of focus we can give to our mission objective. Couldn't we just knock him out for the duration and hide him away once he's got us inside?"

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2014, 16:56 

Cormag snickered as he outed his guess at Mengfu's anwers: "Lemme' guess, extend one hand and arm the other, eh?"

Mengfu nodded absentmindely at Cormag's remark, "Indeed, I'd be more forthcoming about the details of the deal, but secrecy was an integral part of it. It'd be an ill omen to be the first to break it.", he paused for a moment before addressing Magda specifically, "Your concerns about the employer are duly noted, Miss Feinmann. Even though I would have prefered to keep you out of this assignment, but as it is, we are awfully short on employees with training suitable for specc ops."

After a short pause he continued, "Rest assured, however, that the details about the operation stay purely inside this room. Furthermore, your standing as an active employee of the Fenris corporation should prove to be quite the deterrent for any possible lawsuits regarding your personal history."

Cormag couldn't help but chuckle, "Sly as a fox, Mengfu, eh?"

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2014, 11:22 

Wulf crossed his arms and leaned against the wall, invoking a sensation of inflection. While Mengfu's words make meaning to him, at the moment he attempted to burn the station schematics into his brain. Naturally metaphorically, although he also made a mental note to download an encrypted version of said schematic to a handheld device before he left. A ready supply of such devices were frequently made available due to the potential compromise that one could cause should a personal device with all sorts of data be lost or otherwise. There was some scholarly nonsense on the artifact in question as well, but did not seem relevant to the subject at hand. Wulf decided they would be worth a skim perhaps later. This particular bandit group was not particularly noteworthy (as much as such can be, and while much more notorious groups and individuals have operated in the past, most pirates, however nameless and fameless, were still in the end responsible for numerous shipping losses every year)

The others made interesting and (as of yet) unanswered points. Wulf, too, made a mental note in regards to the captain on the mission, and filed away a few more mental notes on that subject. As a grab and go invasion, this would require inside knowledge and no screw ups. That said, Wulf decided to throw his own into the fire.

"I do suppose these pirates likely do not have any idea of the value of what they have gotten their hands on. One man's treasure is another man's junk, I suppose the saying goes? We will need to extract the artifact while it still looks worthless to them."

He paused for a moment.

"But then again, maybe it'll get tossed out as space junk." Wulf finished with a chuckle.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2014, 12:16 

"Now that'd be slightly troublesome.", Cormag chuckled, "Last time we sieved through debris, we had to put the payload together like a goddamn puzzle. Well it certainly doesn't look too great a find to the naked eye, but considering that they'd snatched it from Tondam science vessel, it's not to far a cry that they'd actually have a guess at it's value. Say Mengfu, no chance I'd get my payment in Augs, eh? I heard these dudes got some wicked prototypes coming up. I'd kill for a shoulder implanted rocket launcher..."

Mengfu let out an exasperated sigh, "You should know by now that you're paid by Fenris, not by the contractor. If you wanted personalized payments you should have gone freelance. As for the pirates evaluation of their loot: it's definitely possible that they have no clue what they got, but as Cormag said it's more likely than not that they know pretty well that at least one megacorp wants it pretty bad."

With a keypress he deactived the briefing screen and sat down, "The operation will start tomorrow at 1400, I'd ask you all to gather - punctually this time - ", he glanced at Cormag, "at the Fenris hangar, second level, launch bay C. And for all that is holy, do not forget your gear. We are done here."

---

As Cormag made his way through the lobby, he overheard a sentence of a heated conversation Mia held on her communicator "... how should I know where Abbey's been hangig out after school? Look you can't just call me on the job, ..."

Cormag shrugged and stepped in the elevator. Looking at his outstretched hand. He hoped Magda wouldn't be stingy with the immuno suppressants. He'd rather end up with an infection than deal with another Augmentation fallout. Even though he didn't have any serious Rejection issues for a while, complications with spinal cord and pyramid tract replacements didn't appear on the list of things you could forget in a lifetime...

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2014, 12:48 
Veteran

Noah made a Note of the Location for the Departure the following Day, but could think of nothing further to say. He was still not entirely satisfied with not knowing the Motives of the Captain, but did not think it would be good to press for them. The Instructions themselves could be followed without too much difficulty, and the Value of the Artifact told him exactly why he had been offered so much to take up the Job.

----

Noah was not at all fond of Elevators; he had to lean forwards a Bit so his Head would not touch the Ceiling, and generally imagined himself too big for them. He was thankful that this one had not creaked under his Weight the first Time, and that it did not do so this Time. He recalled being told he would be quartered in the same Apartment Block as the other Members of the Group, but did not know where, exactly, that was, and there was also the Issue of the Doctor, who would need to know some Things about him, in Case he should be injured during the Operation.

'Dr. Feinmann, have you a Moment?' he asked just after they had stepped out of the Elevator.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2014, 16:11 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Magda looked up at the big soldier.

"I'm heading over to the medical bay to get things prepped for tomorrow. If you're happy to tag along then sure."

She paused, as though a thought had suddenly occurred to her.

"In fact, as the team's medical officer, I insist you come. Since your augments interfere with the scanning process I'll need more info off you and the sooner the better, in case I need to make any special arrangements. If you take a serious hit and I can't fix you, it could jeopardise the mission. So we'll kill two birds with one stone: I'll answer whatever questions you've got and you'll answer mine."

She indicated a small passageway leading off to the left just a few metres from the elevator.

"Down this way," she said, as she turned down it. Then, looking back over her shoulder she called out, "Later!" to Cormag and Wulf.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2014, 16:43 
Veteran

'Very well,' Noah answered. 'I've very little to ready myself, and have Data with which I may supply you as needed.'

He followed Magda off towards the Medical Bay after he gave a Nod in Farewell to Cormag and Wulf.

'Is there anything very specific you need to know for the Mission?' he asked while they were walking towards the Medical Bay. 'I believe most ordinary Hyposprays ought to work as desired, though most Painkillers need a larger-than-average Dose...'

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2014, 17:51 

Cormag nodded towards Wulf, "How 'bout we show ourselves in Ephesus'?", he still couldn't help but chuckle at the name of that specific watering hole, "Drinks on me."

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2014, 15:10 

Wulf knew Cormag too well to expect otherwise, as Cormag was in the middle of his suggestion, Wulf had already set the lift down to one of the lower levels. While the station was generally kept in a relatively well kept state, some parts were more well kept than others, and the place the two were headed was inclined to the less organized sense of the scale.

Recessed into a corner of the dock level, the location of the Ephesus lent it to become a popular destination for those heading to and from the station. While covered up in bright lights and other rather gaudy decorations, the rowdy character of the bar's patrons tended to lean towards a certain character type. Not particularly Wulf's type, but for his companion like a fish in water. Thus, Wulf and Cormag took up two out of the way seats and proclaimed their need for drink with a set of quick hand signals.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2014, 10:42 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
At the end of the short passage that Magda and Noah had entered an illuminated sign over a door proclaimed 'MEDICAL BAY'. The door slid open automatically at their approach and Magda led the way inside. Off to the right, a row of treatment beds stood against the wall, each with a monitor screen above it and a console beside it. The beds were currently all unoccupied and the screens blank. Directly opposite the door was a set of workstations. Even from across the room Magda recognised the layout of the data on one of the displays as being the results of a standard blood test. A technician - presumably the one who had run the test - was sitting in a chair just slightly to one side and appeared to be showing the readout to a junior medic. Magda, of course, wasn't the only medic in Fenris' employ; she headed up the department but she had staff who carried out much of the routine work and covered for her when she was out on missions. Various other pieces of equipment stood around the room, either on the floor or on trolleys, ready to be wheeled to wherever it was needed. Along the left wall were three more doors, leading respectively to two small private consulting rooms (which could double up as isolation rooms if necessary) and the lab. It was to this last that Magda headed.

The lab was empty - well, empty of personnel; it was extremely full of equipment and stasis cabinets holding samples or other perishable or hazardous materials. An alcove at the far end served as Magda's office. As they approached it she indicated for Noah to take a seat on the one chair. She herself perched on the corner of her desk.

"Don't worry - it'll take your weight," she reassured him. "So, you first. What did you want to talk to me about?"

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2014, 12:49 
Veteran

Noah briefly examined the Chair, saw Weight Limit 550 Kg. printed somewhere or other, and sat down where invited. He reached for his Handheld Computer, and said, 'I'm likely something of an oddity to you medically; you seem to have already noticed that I contain rather more Metal than might be expected, and also project an electric field —' here, he put the Computer on the Desk and went on, '— I should be able to suppress the Field enough if you should like to take your own Scan, but this Computer contains most anything you might find, if you happen to have a Device which could receive the Data. The Metals are not Parts of mechanical Augmentations — I do not technically have any without which I was grown — but they are responsible for my Electric Field...'

He made a longer Pause here, then said, 'If you need Samples, I suppose we're in the right Place for them,' though he secretly hoped very strongly that she would not.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2014, 16:25 

Besides excellent pay and what amounts to a challenging and intruiging line of work, if you were so aligned, being a Merc had his advantages. For a regular citizen, this place might have spelt trouble, but the patrons - seedy as they were - knew better, than to mess with Fenris. He took his time to survey the bar. When they had entered, a few guys had been about to vent their frustration on an hapless tourist, but their presence apparently made them reconsider their endeavour. Wulf'd picked the seats well, since the otherwise loud music that pretty much killed most any attempt at conversation did not quite deliver it's full force towards their table. He was barely done scanning the bar, before the waitress returned with a bottle of cheap whiskey and two glasses. He checked her out as she approached, easy on the eyes - albeit somewhat plain - usually he'd try and make a pass at her, but at the moment he had a far more important task at hand.

Finding out what to toast to.

"Hmm, we could cheer the new guy. Seems decent enough, that one.", Cormag leaned back on his chair, pouring the drinks, "Though there's something weird about him, I'd wager that he got some more than regular Tatsu Augs, a lot more. Well I'm half inclined to toast to home. But quite frankly, this place is far too posh for that.", he chuckled, back at the mines the term 'watering hole' had a far, far more literal meaning, "I'd drink to Magda, but she'd scurried off with that Noah person before try I could invite her along, no toast for that! Mengfu would not quite appreciate the effort, either, I guess."

Cormag paused for a moment, "Ah, I know. Let's drink to that bitch of an ex-wife of yours. Cheers!"

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2014, 17:47 

"Hah. You know I know better than thinking you need something to toast to. Cheers anyway," Wulf answered with a chuckle. He noted with mental amusement that Cormag had already blended right into the environs as his plain old self.

"The new guy's an odd one, that's for sure. And I'm not exactly sitting with the most normal companion either. If there's anything that's need to know, I'm sure we'll find out. One way or another." The last part he added after taking a rather large gulp from his glass. The music was loud, enough to throw off cheap recorders, but still there was danger against becoming complacent. And obvious as well.

"Well, they don't make 'em the way they used to, huh." Wulf phrased his tone in an unusual manner. "Although if the forms check out, the process should go pretty smoothly from now on out. How's it going on your end?"

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2014, 11:37 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Magda picked up the small computer that Noah had deposited on her desk. It was a fairly standard handheld device - higher spec than would be used by most of the general public, but it wouldn't present any compatibility issues.

"Yes, I can read this," she confirmed.

She activated the terminal on her desk and carried on speaking as she established a connection to the device.

"I'm sure everything in there's accurate but if you're able to lower that field I'll do a cursory scan of my own too. Call me distrustful if you like, but I prefer not to rely blindly on other people's data when I'm in a position to check it for myself... Ok, ready. I presume the data on this thing is encrypted or otherwise protected. Do I need to wait for you to authorise a download?"

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2014, 15:13 
Veteran

'Ready Files for Download — General Medical Data,' he said, followed by a String, almost whispered, of seemingly-random syllables, 'Tue-lei-jei-krou-liou-tue-jei.' Various Files then did as he asked, and a Dialogue Box appeared on Magda's Device to confirm that she wished to download the Files; this done, Noah reduced his electrical Field as far as he could and said, 'You ought to be able to take the Scan now.'

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2014, 16:34 

"Ah, you know, could be better, could be worse.", he leaned back as he filled another glass, "I got this twitching feeling, but it's probably nothing. Certainly don't want to crash the whole party over that." Cormag was pretty sure that'd Wulf would pick up on his allusion to his worries about potential augmentation rejection syndromes.

He nodded towards the door and continued speaking in a lower voice. "By the way, you've seen those freaky preachers? I've seen those around before, back in the pits. Back then their whole 'Black Dawn' gist wouldn't even stir the dogs...", he paused as he downed the second shot in one go, "I might just be blowing shit out of proportion. Hell, that's what I get paid for - more or less. But if you get around to it, why don't you see if you don't have some old friends that could dig out some info?", when he was finished with his rather uncharacteristic seriousness, he'd blurted out a laugh - slightly loud, but doing it's job at masking the low key conversation as a dirty joke well enough.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2014, 04:07 

"I do suppose my approach to 'digging' out information would be a bit more subtle than having you do it. That is to say, I would prefer not to dynamite the whole thing up." Wulf replied with an rather obvious, perhaps slightly forced chuckle. He grasped the top of the glass with his thumb and fingers and took a long sip. Less so much a desire to drink large quantity and more time needed to compose thoughts. Or perhaps Wulf was lying to himself and he really wanted both at once.

"But in regards, I'll give it a go. Not sure what I can do, though. You know, the usual." He paused. "They really ruin the mood, don't they..."

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2014, 06:03 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Magda initiated the download. A moment later the data was stored in the medical centre's archives, and simultaneously copied to Magda's own handheld device, which she carried with her on all missions. She opened the file and skimmed the contents.

"Hmmm... Interesting... Oh, I see!... Ah, so that's how they do it."

She looked up again as she came to the end.

"Well, you're an interesting specimen, that's for sure," she said to Noah. "I'll get that scan done now and do a comparison while I'm getting my stock ready for the mission."

Once again she pulled out the device that she'd tried to use in Mia's office earlier on and moved it around in various directions, about 30 or 40 centimeters from his body. Having satisfied herself that the scan had indeed worked this time and all the required readings were present she returned gadget to her pack.

"Well, unless you've anything else on your mind I'd say we're finished here. I'm going to start prepping for the mission. After that, I intend to go and see if O'Donnel and Argoyle are still where I'm pretty sure they are right now. If you fancy joining them, you'll almost certainly find them in Ephesus - their favourite bar."

Then, without stopping to see if Noah left or not, she headed out to the lab, slipped off the backpack and left it on a workbench, and began taking items out of various cabinets.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2014, 09:05 
Veteran

'I don't suppose there's anything else, no,' Noah answered.

He used his handheld Computer to research Directions to the Ephesus, and, after saying, 'Good Evening,' before he stepped out of the Laboratory and made his Way outside of the Building. Ephesus appeared to be rather near the District in which he had first found himself after he got off. It did not prove terribly difficult to find. He found it rather smelly and noisy when he stepped in, and began to look about for Wulf and Cormag. He attracted more than a few Stares, but nobody really seemed to wish to bother him. He found them at last in a far Corner, and sat down rather cautiously because he was not certain that the Seat would bear his Weight well — it looked rather old and rickety — but it did all the same. Cormag and Wulf looked to have just been talking of something uncomfortable, and he wondered if he were not interrupting. Just then, the Woman who had brought the Drinks returned, but Noah ordered several hot Sandwiches an an enormous Quantity of Chips and some Variety of Beer or other.

'Sorry, but I tend to need to eat a lot,' he said. He was not sure if he ought to say anything else, and could not think of anything, so he waited for his Food to get there, and to see if Wulf or Cormag would say anything...

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2014, 18:05 

"Dynamite?!", O'Donnel took on a caricatural pose, putting on a humorous act of being offendedm "I much prefer the elegant art of smashing skulls with the stock of my rifle, thank you very much.", his strained expression cracked as he burst out laughing, deliberately missing Wulf's point, "'Sides, if someone's liable to blow things up that would be you. Remember when you blew up that reactor on Minos Prime nuking that research station to obli-"

And here Cormag managed to steer to involuntarily steer a nice little joke on Wulf's cost to a topic they'd likely both prefer never to bring up again. Back in Cormag's rookie days, he'd been part of a squad with Wulf, a few others, led by Mengfu, Captain Mengfu as he prefered to be addressed back then. They'd been hired as security for a remote xenobiology research station on Minos Prime. A quite job, at least apparently.

Things started taking a turn for the worse, when a few scientist started showing signs of what, at the time, appeared to be a common cold. The only problem with that was, that there simply were no cold viruses native to Minos Prime, and the station had had an extremely tight quarantine for newcomers. Mengfu had the infected scientists quarantied on the spot. The Fenris EO responsible for the operation, one John Werner, however decided to go ballistic from the moral high ground. Within hours he had - from the safety of his office back at the Fenris HQ at Minos Prime - the whole security crew on com, lobbing all kinds of threats, from discharging them from Fenris right up to having them sued for deprevation of liberty. According to Werner, quarantine was in no way an appropiate response, to what appeared to be a common cold. Even though he played along, Mengfu had his crew continue their duty in protective gear.

Things went all fine and dandy, right up to the point when the first scientist started going clinically nuts. As it turned out, this 'common cold', was all but common. Within all but a moment the situation started heading south in a most chilling way. The cold was just the intital phase of the infection, which would then proceed to lunacy, total mental breakdown, feral behaviour with a nice touch of cannibalism, all accompanied with the formation of pox-like swellings all over the infectees' bodies.

In an attempt to regain control of the situation, Werner ordered a complete evacuation of the research station. This time around Mengfu wasn't quite as relenting. A disease outbreak of this sort on a planet housing the main administration, and a significant part of the infrastructure of a corporation that provided the galaxy with something as insignificant as breathing gases, wasn't quite the way Mengfu wanted himself and his squad to be remembered. Which ended up being pretty much being the entry point for the awkward silence between Wulf and Cormag right now. Instead of a complete evacuation, Mengfu took matters in his own hands, evacuating any healthy personell on the station while having Wulf rig the station's generator to be remotely blown. The meltdown and resulting thermonuclear blast had pretty much removed the station, as well as a good bit of it's surroundings.

In the end only two of the scientists had survived, and Mengfu's squad was down to three. Fenris' upper brass, however, was as impressed with Mengfu and his squad, as it was displeased with the conduct of John Werner. Werner ended up being the one sued and discharged, whereas Mengfu was made an offer he could not refuse. After the quarantine on the survivors of the incident had ended, he was promoted and assigned to the - quite new - Fenris branch on artemis station. Cormag and Wulf ended up getting a hefty raise, and graduating from security jobs to spec ops.

The awkward silence was broken when Noah joined them. Just when the waitressed passed by, he snatched a clean - at least as clean as it got in this kind of bar - glass from her tray, and distributed another round of whiskey.

"Hmm well, I guess you'd like something to wash down all the grub, eh?"