All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 31 Dec 2012, 23:32 
Administrator

Medals: 20
Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
[youtube]oAg4yjEmerU[/youtube]

First of all, let me apologise to Tyler about getting this thread posted. Some stuff came up unexpectedly that I couldn't put off at the time I told him I'd have it posted and following that it just skipped my mind altogether. No excuse, but regardless, that's not what you came here to hear about. So.

Welcome to Masaoka Shiki's Sci-Fi ToH.
Some of you may remember the Shakespeare's Tomb of Horrors we attempted a good long while back and that didn't really work out. In that instance, the premise was that a player selected a character written by Shakespeare and wrote from the perspective of that character in an RP about a titular Tomb of Horrors, the environment of which was played by a DM. In addition, since it was William Shakespeare's Tomb of Horrors, everybody had to write in iambic pentameter. We softened that to merely writing in ten syllables lines because, well, not everybody can write even passable true iambic pentameter.

This time we're going to try something new. We're going to use characters from various science fiction franchises instead of from Shakespeare's works. And we're going to write in a traditional haiku-esque form, where each set of three lines must be in the form:

five syllables here
and then next seven go here
and then five again

Of course, real haikus aren't quite that simple, and real haikus are only three phrases (traditionally), but obviously we'll need more than seventeen syllables per post to continue the RP, so as long as you post in multiples of three, with each morae set apart, we'll be cool. Either Tyler or I will make the first post, demonstrating.

Yes, Tyler will be our DM. What that means here is exactly what it says on the tin. He will be the Dungeon Master, and thus will be controlling the environment. I'll just be a participant in the actual RP. My role outside the RP will be hosting it as you see with this post. I'll determine what's a suitable character and primarily be on the watch for conformation to the form (though it'd be appreciated if everybody kept an eye on everybody else in that regard; makes things easier on everybody).

That having been said, I'm leaving the setting entirely up to Tyler. If he has a traditional ToH setting he wants to use, he can modify that one to be sufficiently "science fiction", or if he wants to use something from outside the typical ToH scope, he can do that. Or he can create something entirely original if he wants to do that. Or if he just can't think of anything I can give him one from the ones I have stored from the Shakespeare ToH but never got around to reading and he can sci-fi-erise one of those. As long as he makes it apropos to a science fiction theme, I'm not going to meddle in the setting. To Tyler: PM me any questions about that. I really just want to give you all the freedom.

As far as characters you can play: any canonical character officially published in a franchise that may reasonably considered science fiction is game. That franchise may be print/comic, film/television, or videogame.

What this means is that, for example, characters from Driftspace or the Elegian tales or the Realm would not qualify. I don't know if Paul has published any of his sci-fi forum-supported works via gaming, but I would like to discourage those if amenable (things like the Freikorps). It would also mean that characters such as your OCs from SWTOR would not be eligible as they are not canonical. Characters from Infinity's Blades or Game of Thrones would not be eligible because they are fantasy genre.

Franchises like Star Wars and Warhammer 40K kinda straddle the fence between fantasy and science fiction. That having been said, I'm not going to remove them as options, but I would just like to ask that you think seriously before choosing a character from franchises such as those. We don't want to have characters who can just force persuade any given sentient enemy into acquiescence or some Eldar who can read your every thought. That would be too overpowered. If lightsabres are to be a factor, shoot me a PM so we can settle out whether or not they may be overpowered in whatever setting Tyler generates. If you choose a melee Star Wars character from a canon setting temporally set before the films, possibly consider arming your character with a vibrosword. Things like that.

All things considered: just keep in mind we want "Team Awesome". We do not want "Sith Eldar and her Motley Crew". If possible try to choose characters most other people will be familiar with the origin franchise of at least.

Some franchises you may consider drawing from (not an exhaustive list by any means):

Andromeda
Babylon 5
Battlestar Galactica
Blake's 7
Cowboy Bebop
Farscape
Firefly
Doctor Who
Half Life
Mass Effect
Portal
Star Gate
Star Trek

So yeah, there's some place you can start. If you want in, just post your character here (one per participant), and give some info about them in case somebody's not familiar with them and/or the franchise. A few sentences will suffice, but however much information you feel like giving is fine. No ceiling. Image of your character optional, since if they're TV, film or videogame they should be image searchable. If they're literature or just really obscure you may be more inclined to provide a picture. If you have any questions, post them here and Tyler or I will answer them. Except Tyler of course. If you have questions, just PM me.

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2013, 04:09 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
I elect to play as John Chricton, from Farscape.

John Chricton was an astronaut doing a test run in his Farscape module when a wormhole opened up above Earth and sucked him into it. He wound up lost in a distant part of the universe on a living ship full of strange alien lifeforms, just trying to stay alive. He started out as a fairly low-interest fugitive and acquired progressively more powerful enemies, successfully thwarting every one of them.

John has no particular superpowers aside from being the single most badass man in the entire damn universe. He carries a pulse pistol named Winona and has a neural clone of his enemy Scorpius (known as 'Harvey') implanted in his brain.

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2013, 06:24 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Would Data from Star Trek:TNG be overpowered?

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2013, 13:04 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Not in the slightest.

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2013, 22:19 
Veteran

Medals: 1
Kill Twilight (1)
Okay, I'm back. Give me a couple of days to get everything straightened out, both IRL and gamewise, and we should be good to go.

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2013, 23:19 
Administrator

All right. I agonised over this for various reasons for something like 4 or 5 hours after my initial choice was thrown into question. The initial choice was Aeryn sun also from Farscape. Other characters I had entertained the thought of but rejected for various reasons were Chiana, D'argo, Fourth Doctor, Chell, P-body, Atlas, Mako, Data, Hubero, Montgomery Scott, and Malcolm Reynolds.

But at long last there was one character that consistently had the widest and most useful set of abilities, that I liked, was varied from choices already posted, integrated well with other characters, and wasn't overpowered (probably).

I'll be playing the Tenth Doctor, a Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey who travels across space and time in his TARDIS, typically but not always with a human companion and always with his trusty sonic screwdriver, which enables him to perform all manner of technical wizardry. He knows a little bit about everything, and has a quirky nature that ranges from melancholy and depressed to frantic and ecstatic. Makes friends very easily with anybody who would be amenable to such and a strong independent streak--he doesn't like to be affiliated with many, if any, organisations, though he does co-operate with some from time to time; like UNIT or the Shadow Proclamation. He likes to find ways to bend the rules so as to benefit as many people as possible, but has a very strict personal code of ethics and morals.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2013, 03:48 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
And since there's now no doubt about whether I'm free to play Data, that's who I'll go with.

Data is a sentient android, serving as second officer aboard the USS Enterprise D. he was created by Dr. Noonien Soong. His positronic brain gives him a total linear computational speed of 60 trillion operations per second, he is considerably stronger than a human, has no need to breathe and so can function under water or in space, is immune to most biological diseases, and his head can function independently of his body if removed. His weaknesses are that he is not immune to computer viruses or high-level energy discharges, and it's possible to shut him down completely via the off-switch on his back or a compatible remote control device. Data has no emotions (he was subsequently fitted with an emotion chip but I shall play him as he was before that time) and, as a result, can sometimes find human behaviour difficult to understand, as well as sometimes struggling to grasp humour and figures of speech. He has a somewhat childlike outlook on life, with a fascination for new things, and he has a deep desire to become more human, leading him to experiment with downloaded personas and roleplaying.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2013, 17:42 
Veteran

Kill Twilight (1)
Yeah, sorry about the lack of updates, I've had a heck of a lot of homework lately, as in, several hundred pages a day's worth. In other words, things are going to be delayed for another week at the very least as I try to get to a stage where creating and running something I didn't even know I was creating and running is manageable.

Also, while I subscribe to a very wide degree of latitude here, I don't see how a Time Lord isn't overpowered.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2013, 15:02 
Administrator

Mostly because the very wide range of abilities he possesses are all definitively qualified by one or more things. He can't travel through time without devices, his sonic screwdriver is what enables him to be the technowhiz around 75% of the time, and any psychic abilities he may have (which I tend to play down anyway) seem to require physical contact and aren't very sophisticated or automatic. In any case, this Time Lord will be TARDISless for this, though he will have the sonic. Basically the only advantages he has over John Crichton is that he knows stupid amounts of stuff and can regenerate. And when you think about it, John carries a gun while the Doctor doesn't, which in a way is going to make him more powerful. The Doctor doesn't even kill hardly ever occasionally well maybe sometimes but always indirectly except that one time it wasn't so indirect or all those other times he basically committed genocide.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2013, 23:05 
Veteran

Kill Twilight (1)
eh, Never kills, genocide, same difference. Can any of you Who-fans at least explain to me how a Time Lord's perception of time works? When he sees the past, present, and potential future all at once, how does that work, how much does he notice, how can he sort out the useful stuff from the crap, and how does he tell the difference from the past, present, and future anyway when it's all a timey-wimey ball of stuff where even the past and present are fluid?

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2013, 01:00 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
Nope.

I don't think it's ever really been explained concretely, but he's not precognitive. As far as I can tell it's just a sort of general sense that time is, uh, well, there and, you know, working correctly. If time is being all screwed up he can tell. The show makes a big deal every now and then about how "he can see the turn of the universe!" and all that but it's mostly just cool-sounding fluff, he doesn't go around saying, "Oh, if we do this, then this will happen."

I can vouch for Zeth; if anything the Doctor's underpowered in this situation. He has no proactive physical abilities of note. He can survive some stuff that humans can't--he's more resistant to electricity (for some reason) and immune to some poisons and kinds of radiation-but he can be killed or knocked out without much more trouble than it would take to do in a human. So far he's died from being poisoned twice, falling, severe head trauma, botched surgery, and radiation. He can regenerate, but it leaves him in a highly vulnerable state for about a day or two afterwards, and it's entirely possible to kill him in such a manner that he won't regenerate. He never carries weapons. We don't know exactly how he committed genocide but we can assume he had some form of help.

Really, the Doctor gets by on being very intelligent, very experienced, very determined, and occasionally very ruthless. The Time Lords are-were-extremely powerful in a cultural and technological sense, but the Doctor himself doesn't really have any individual superpowers.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2013, 05:52 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
I agree with Mage. Time Lords as a race have/had tremendous power but an individual's power comes mainly from the technology he has access to. If Zeth's playing him without his TARDIS he is going to be considerably less powerful than Data.

As for his perception of time, the impression I've always had is that, although he can feel time in a way, and can sense if something's not right, in most respects he perceives time in much the same way that we do. The only difference is that he can travel around in time in the same way that we travel around in space. But just as we don't know what a place looks like until we've been there, so he doesn't know what's going to happen at a particular point in time unless he's already travelled to that time.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2013, 15:22 
Administrator

I think of the Time Lords as the Americans in the Cold War Era in terms of power which quintessentially makes this statement:
The Time Being wrote:
Really, the Doctor gets by on being very intelligent, very experienced, very determined, and occasionally very ruthless. The Time Lords are-were-extremely powerful in a cultural and technological sense, but the Doctor himself doesn't really have any individual superpowers.
THE unstated summation of Time Lord "power." They had/have the technological hegemony, and their culture had/has dominated any given place (or time) worth noting. As a society they are a superpower and if you go against them you will be more or less effortlessly crushed (unless you are Daleks and have unsuppressable numbers to throw at the effort, utter contempt to to motivate those numbers, and technology that isn't ass backwards compared to the opposition; I guess, really, the Daleks would be the Soviet Union of this analogy).

That having been said, a Cold War American taskforce with a Cold War American Tank in Cold War Era...I dunno, Mali or something, is an unstoppable juggernaut. Take one of those Americans, without their teammates and their tank and put them virtually anywhere you want that isn't America and, well, aside from a certain degree of prestige for being who and what they are, relative affluence, and the ability to use magical things like computers and radiation-emitting dictionary-sized cellphones and a much vaster knowledge of just things in general, there's nothing separating them from the people around them.

The analogy can be extended. If you were not a denizen of one of the countries directly involved in WWII--and frequently enough even if you were--then in the Cold War you probably were simply not very aware of things going on on a global scale. Sure, you know about nuclear bombs that have been developed, but you don't know anything about the arms race between the US and USSR other than it exists. Stealth Bombers? What exactly is that? How is it stealthy? Etcetera.

That kinda edges into the perception of time that you were wondering about. I get the impression that in general Time Lords are simply more aware of how it works, so when something is "off" they can tell more easily. They may not even be able to put a finger on how or why. It'd be like you knowing something is wrong with oyur car because it "feels wrong" or "sounds wrong", when your bike riding friend from inner Tokyo says it seems like any other car and can't tell how you have these magical mechanic abilities because they ride their bike or take the train all the time.

It's all relative, really.
Except for when it isn't.

There does seem to be a "thing" about Time Lords and "fixed moments in time" as well as being able to [usually] detect the presence of other Time Lords. I think this is related to what I just described above, but there could easily be something else to it. I see this more like being in a pool at night time and your goggles are fogged up. Somehow--most likely from the ripples and waves in the water and sound--you can usually still tell when somebody is near to you in the pool or if you're about to run into the pool cleaner device. If we assume that Time Lords just know how all these chaotic systems work better than your average sentient bear because they are around them all the time, then naturally they would be able to detect those ripples and waves from unmovable boulders in the time stream or other swimmers splashing around in it.

But yeah, all things considered, I don't think any of us consider Data overpowered, and he's clearly the most powered of any of the chars here.
It's kind nice that our characters all have a checks and balances system here. On each other in both directions no less.

Data is stronger and less vulnerable than both John and the Doctor--he could snap both their necks if so inclined.
John outguns both Data and the Doctor, and is crafty and debateably crazy enough that I think he could outmanoeuvre the too-logical-to-predict-John Data.
The Doctor could wave his sonic at Data and turn him off, and could probably simply outsmart John.