All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 23 Aug 2012, 10:41 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Newcomer (1) Most Serious (1) The Merger Contest (1)
'Oh, it's going quite nicely, Dear,' Pamela answered, though she was more than a little concerned after what she had heard her Handler say, though they had ordered rather more than they could eat, and so did have some to share, though Pamela had pocketed some Cakes and Cookies for her Pokémon — the ones who would eat the Stuff, anyway; she thought it rather a Shame that Tilly ate only Rocks and Soil, and that Cassie seemed to get everything she needed from the Air and Water, because Eating was such an enjoyable Thing. 'This is a wonderful Shop, and Tilly absolutely loved Aran: I think they're going to get on splendidiously; you needn't feel obliged to join us if you prefer to eat alone, but I'm never averse to good Company, and I think it's best we all get to know each-other if we're to be working together.'

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2012, 13:42 
Dino

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
"Yeah, I wish somebody'd get around to telling us what work they've got lined up for us all. We can't be here just for research purposes, surely - we've all got abilities they can't reproduce so they can't be trying to learn about us to pass on our skills to anyone else, and materia and Pokémon - or spirits" he pointed at Mirasa as he said the word "- won't help anyone produce a new vaccine.

"You're staff." He addressed this to Mirasa's shadow. "You must get told things. Do you know what they want us for? If I knew what we were being prepared for, maybe I could do some more specific training, instead of just shooting fire at robots in a lab, or running round the park. Or getting fat on cake."

He lifted the plate in the direction of the two new arrivals, grinning. "Here. Both of you. Have one before we both become obese."

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2012, 18:36 

Medals: 1
L Award (1)
"I'll be fine." Replied Mirasa's handler before sitting at a different table not too far from the group.

Mirasa looked at the table for a bit looked at the two available spots, assuming she moved a chair over. Either a spot with her back exposed to the window and therefore the street, or a spot with her back exposed to the shop... neither a particularly great option. "Yeah Shade, I know, it's a terrible propostion... Err... Could you watch behind me please? Thank you." She said, sitting down in the seat with her back to the shop. "So anyways. No, I don't suppose they could replicate our powers. But ultimately, what they're doing is as much training as it is testing. Assuming the same as the other guys, you'll eventually get approached by the guys in uniform and offered a deal. You go deal with an important task, and when you are done, you don't need to come back. Just tell them wherever you want to go and they'll take you there. When I explained I'd only ever been here and my home, they explained that I could tell them what I wanted this place to be like, and they would take me there. But obviously it's a dangerous job, other wise they'd just have those guys with guns do it, so they want us to be as capable as possible."

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2012, 21:50 
Veteran

'I was hoping he was going to answer the Question, but I can't say I'm terribly surprised he didn't — it would be nice to know for what we are preparing so we can better prepare for it, after all,' Pamela said. 'Though I'm quite certain we'll all know about whatever it is soon enough.'

Then she took a bit more Cake and another Sip of Tea.

'Of course this is all very secretive, Dears, so I don't suppose they can go telling us Things, no matter how they concern us,' she added.

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2012, 22:18 

L Award (1)
Mirasa Shrugged. "Well, it is possible that they're not saying what they want us to do because they have nothing for us to do yet. I mean, I'm assuming the last team completed their mission, it's not like things that these guys cannot solve by shooting things or using their sciency things are bound to come up all the time. I mean, they managed to take us on an individual level each, right." She then gestured at one of the cakes and then herself.

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2012, 23:01 
Veteran

'Well, Dear, I ended up here because of something the Unown did, but I suppose they do use their Technologies in rather unsettling Ways,' Pamela answered. 'If it weren't for my Pokémon, though, they probably wouldn't have much interest in me — I can do so little myself compared to them; but where are my Manners? You were speaking to somebody I can't see earlier — why don't you introduce us?'

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2012, 05:27 

L Award (1)
Mirasa gave Pamela and odd look. "Well, they know who you are as much as I do, and you can't see them, but I suppose I can give you their names. They are my friends Undine of Water, Salamander of Fire, Gnome of Earth, Sylph of Air, and Shade of Darkness. And they keep lots of people around for apparently no reason. I mean, James is kinda scrawny, and he doesn't seem to be able to talk about anything that makes any sense." She said, eating a slice of cake.

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2012, 10:06 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
“Oh, I remember James,” said Aran. “Met him when I first arrived. He seemed to know about my world somehow. Said something about a video game. No idea what that was all about. But I couldn’t get him to understand how materia works.

“But I must say, this dangerous task thing sounds interesting. I like a challenge. So long as it’s not TOO dangerous. I don’t have any desire to get myself killed just yet," he added with a grin. "Though I should think if we’re working as a team, between us we’d be a match for most situations. Your Tilly looks pretty formidable, and you said Pokémon are used for battling where you come from, so I presume all of them are good at fighting.”

He addressed this last comment to Pamela, but then turned to Mirasa.

“What exactly do your spirits do? Act as spies? Foretell the future? And do they have anyone one else lined up for this team? I haven’t seen anyone I could identify as one of us, but unless they’ve got a minder tailing them, or I see them emerging from a testing session there’s not much way of knowing. It’s not like we look any different from ordinary people – well, my sense of fashion’s a bit skewed, I admit.” He chuckled as he a glanced down at his attire. “But you two look pretty normal.”

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2012, 10:47 
Veteran

'Yes, Dear, they're all good at fighting — Tilly is my strongest, but don't think the others can't outdo her at some Things,' Pamela answered. 'I can only move Things by thinking, but that's not an uncommon Skill, at least where I come from, and my Ability to do so is rather weak, and the Aura it makes is oddly-coloured, and it showed up very late in my Life, too; normally you know it when you're young, but I never had even the slightest Idea I had them until I was past forty.'

Then she laughed and added, 'I think I may have said too much — I've no need to make myself look any older than I already do.'

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2012, 11:05 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
"Ah, but with age comes experience. That's never a bad thing."

Aran winked at her.

"So it's not just your Pokémon who have abilities then. You've been hiding your talents!" he said, adopting a mock accusing tone. "So, you can move things around, I can damage them - or speed them up, protect them, or heal them - and Mirasa can do... what Mirasa can do with her spirits."

Once again he grinned at Mirasa.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2012, 15:38 
Veteran

'It's nothing a lot of People I know can't do better — Espers and Aura-Users are usually very much better if you want somebody to do dangerous Work,' Pamela answered. 'And I'm really proud of having lived so long; I've never seen a Spirit, before, though,' and here she turned to Mirasa. 'Can you tell me what they look like?'

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2012, 17:25 

L Award (1)
"Errr... it's sort of hard to establish. I mean, they don't particularly look like anything unless they choose to. What every they wish to, I suppose. Depending on the circumstances, Some may pick something they think I'll get, or if it's a spirit of someone I've killed or found dead, they tend to keep the form that hey understand. As for what they can do, well, Yeah I suppose they work as spies. Not sure about telling the future though," She turned around, "You guys can't tell the future, can you? No, they can't tell the future. Well, no more than you can. Someone points a gun at you, you get out of the way cause you don't like that future. Other than that... well, it's hard to tell you without a demonstration, and they're not too keen on demonstrations in the shopping district." She said, pointing at her handler and her Choker. "And they chose the dress, in regards to me looking normal. Apparently me having pockets is a no-no."

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2012, 17:17 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
"Well, I look forward to making their acquaintance at some point in the future, in a place that isn't the shopping district," Aran replied. "Here's to a long and happy working relationship."

He raised his teacup in a toast.

"Oh, and may I add that your pocketless attire is most becoming."

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2012, 18:28 
Veteran

'Oh, no, now I'm losing YOU to her!' Pamela said, though she could lardly stop herself from laughing as she did so; then she raised her Teacup, too, and added 'and may we all find ourselves quite safely somewhere quite comfortable and not be bothered by this odd Group again.'

Then a Thought entered her Head and she said 'we really must bring any others we meet here, Dears: perhaps we ought to have a Day where we all meet and talk each week — we'll work better and hopefully all come out alive if we get to know each-other.'

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2012, 09:23 

Medals: 4
Best Artist (2) Absentee (2)
Xander woke with a start, his eyes wide as he sat up. Taking a moment to calm his breathing, which was somewhat difficult for some reason, he looked around the room. A distinct improvement on the last one he had awoken in, better lit, and slightly more spacious. He shifted into a more comfortable position and checked his belongings- the two large, rectangular pouches at his belt, each containing a spell book, were still in place and untouched, his clothes were rather cool, though equally unscatched. He uttered a low curse upon realising that his staff was gone, once again, and he worried that his earlier freezing may have damage the books, but they were nothing he couldn't replace with time, and he would address that later.

He was just about to stand up when the disembodied voice sounded into the room. Xander was surprised at this, not because he had not seen its like before, as a spell with a similar effect was quite common on his world, but because it meant he was being watched this time. A business agreement? So these are the people he was 'sold' to. The voice seemed somewhat pleased that he was awake...the Station would be where he was now then? This was becoming interesting. He chuckled slightly at 'explosion worthy', so they at least knew about his magic. He had given them a fair exposition, he supposed.

Then he tried to draw up his mana in an attempt to find the source of this voice, assuming it to be a magical projection, and a deep-set frown crossed his face. He looked down and, for the first time, noticed the circlet. Such a small thing, and he couldn't sense any magic from it...but then he couldn't sense any magic around him at all, even from his tomes. It would be a serious pain trying to circumvent the effects. Later then, he decided, for now he would attempt to learn more.

"Xander. My name is Miles Xander, last scion of the Miles World Shipping Company of Burleigh, and previously a scholar of the Hawthorn Academy of Magic. Though I suppose that matters not here. An odd phrase that, to relate one's life to a card game, I shall have to remember it." He looked around the room again, this time searching visually for the source of the voice, then he stood up, and waited for a response. He would be reasonable, he decided, and perhaps he might find opportunity here.

As someone who really enjoys contractions: It's what it's.

Also I make games sometimes!

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2012, 19:01 

L Award (1)
Mirasa looked at the two people holding their teacups aloft. "Err... You are going to drink those, right? And what exactly is my dress becoming? Wait, losing him to me? Are you Flirting with me? Wait, what?" As this happened she began turning, the waiter Callum walked up behind her and she reflexively fell out of her chair and scrambled to her feet and towards the door.

Her Handler then put down the tea he had ordered with a sigh and stood up, calmly following her with a decent range, muttering.

--------------

"-Yes, that is rather irrelevant in your current situation. Now, since you appear to have finished thawing, I would recommend you leave the chamber lest it start heating the water in your eyes.-" The voice said deadpan.

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2012, 23:39 
Veteran

'Well, that was certainly strange,' Pamela said, and she was very clearly trying very hard not to laugh, which she did when Mirasa was quite gone. 'I'm afraid we may have scared her off, Dear; I do feel rather bad for her Handler: he didn't get to have a nice Break for Tea like ours did.'

Then she looked rather concerned and asked 'do you suppose we ought to go and find her and tell her it was merely a Joke?'

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2012, 09:39 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Aran continued staring towards the door after Mirasa's departure in a state of mild bewilderment. His expression was mirrored by that of Callum, who was still standing behind her chair, where he'd been on his way to ask if she'd like to order anything.

"Err... yeah. It rather looks that way. I guess we'd better go after her. If we're gonna be team mates scaring her off before we've even started isn't the best strategy."

He slurped down the last of his tea and stood up.

"Probably about time we moved anyway. Thanks, Callum. Delicious as always. Till next time."

"Sure," the waiter responded, still somewhat distracted. "Next time."

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2012, 11:06 
Veteran

Pamela finished her Tea in Turn, and then she took one of her Pokéballs, which she threw, and which released the large, rather devilish-looking Dog, to which she said 'Jeanne, Dear, we've had our guest run away,' here she gestured towards the Chair where Mirasa was sitting. 'Now you're not going to go chasing her right away — that should probably scare her more, but I want you to pick up her scent, just in Case we've lost her.'

Jeanne sniffed the Chair as asked, and then returned to Pamela's Side as she was heading out the door rather more briskly than might have been expected.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2012, 12:05 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
"Wow! You think she's literally run away?" Aran exclaimed, accompanying Pamela to the door. "I thought we'd find her walking off down the street, probably just feeling a bit flustered. She must be really paranoid! Could make building team spirit challenging to say the least!"

He reached the door and peered outside.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2012, 13:09 
Veteran

'She has some very erratic Tendencies,' Pamela answered. 'I was thinking it might be better to be safe than sorry, though I suppose there aren't really many Places she could have gotten to.'

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2012, 17:32 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Aran stood and looked carefully up and down the street.

“Well she’s certainly not in sight now,” he confirmed. “She must have taken off at a run. Surely a bit of flirting couldn’t have scared her enough to make her literally run away. Looks like we either leave her be and hope she doesn’t shun us for evermore, or you deploy… Jan, was it?”

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2012, 17:48 
Veteran

'Jeanne,' Pamela corrected. 'And yes, Jeanne, Dear, it looks like we'll need you to find our Friend for us after all, but don't do anything to scare her.'

Then Jeanne began to sniff and then set off at a brisk Pace, and Pamela followed quite quickly behind — they soon found themselves looking into an Alleyway outside of which Mirasa's Handler was standing, though which Jeanne did not look too keen on entering. Pamela peered into it, and then asked the Handler 'is she quite alright?'

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2012, 23:13 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
Kepler arrived in his quarters a few hours later. He had spent the interim since the last post checking, revising, consulting and tweaking some of the various test chamber development groups. He had a good excuse to do so, since his actual task lately at any point he wasn't being wherever he was summoned while 'on call' (i.e. all the time) had been cyberneural emulation studies on what James had repeatedly explained was called an Aperture Science Personality Construct, but much of the facility continued to refer to as an 'Unknown Artificially Intelligent Body'. They were actually ridiculously simple things compared to what James was used to working with, and he had successfully replicated the actual mechanism quite a while ago. The software wasn't much of a challenge either, but he had been dragging that out for a nice long time with vague excuses and indications that it was simply too foreign to be able to explain that easily. In actuality he had been playing with it.

He had walked into the lab, accessed his workstation, unsealed his work files, which any higher up could also access, but James was the most pro at working with, and so they couldn't make 100% sense of, and uploaded his most complete package to one of the replicated spherical cores. Still deactivated, he reported that he'd sorted out a new variant ready for testing and taken the new core--he called the package he'd uploaded JACK, or James' Alternate Core K, much to the confusion of some other employees--to the reconstructed Aperture Originated test field. Once there, he'd connected JACK to the system and made sure that it was properly interfaced before allowing the core's monorail-esque travel rail to connect to the rest of the chamber's system of said rails. The premise of this entire exercise was the ability of these particular variety of artificially intelligent devices to make appropriate and efficient decisions in the field of...basically what the entirety of the rest of the facility was already doing. Made enough sense to Kepler; any time you could cut costs and retain absolute loyalty in an employee by making sure that employee was an automaton instead of a person, it was good for business. Especially business unpopular with large populations of people.

Of course, Kepler knew JACK would preform perfectly fine. It was essentially a Portal version of him inside a little metal sphere. What could go wrong? Actually, lots of things could go wrong in the general principle of the thing, which is why Kepler was making sure JACK was going to be the first of the recreated personality cores to be installed and run through this system. It would make things easier for Shaina.

After that, he had chosen to stroll into astrometrics and reveal to the flight captain who was put in charge of experimental spacecraft flights that some of the ships from the Galaga set were in fact prone to kamikaze runs and muddled the issue of whether or not this was a feature inherent in an autopilot or AI or if it was purely based on the decision of the assumed pilots within. That would delay those tests for a little while.

Then there was checking the weapons vault inventory. Just to be certain.

Then...home. Or his quarters, anyway. And now, well, here he was. Wanting to avoid eat up any more of the current post with irrelevant details on his quarters, he didn't bother giving it any sort of look over, but instead went straight for a few shelves in one corner, pulling out two open-topped boxes of three on the shelf and bring them to his bed. Each of the three boxes had various items he had collected and been allowed to keep in them, and he had sorted the items into various categories according to whom he associated the items. Of the two boxes he had chosen was the one containing items he matched with the Pequod's current group of test subjects and the one that contained items he matched with Realm crew members. He dumped them all on his bed, and then sat down beside them, sitting cross-legged on the centre of the bed. He picked up two of the items: a shiny red and black Cherish Ball and one crindar. Thinking something over, he put them down and instead picked up a paperclipped bunch of papers with generic looking alchemical circles drawn on them and a red-tinted crystal.

'How entirely quaint,' Kepler said to himself. 'Imagine having to draw out some maddeningly complicated diagram any time I had the whim to do someting as mundane and simple as cast a light on the dark.' Kepler retreated into his mind palace.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2012, 13:26 

L Award (1)
"In terms of general mental soundness? No, I'd say she's far from alright. In terms of what just happened? Yeah, once she's had a moment to process what just went on, she'll be alright. This likely has as much to do with the waiter getting behind he while she was flustered and let her guard down as it does being flirted with, though I wouldn't say it wasn't a contributing factor." The handler said, leaning on the wall.

---------

Meanwhile, Around the corner, Mirasa sat on the ground, knees up. "You were supposed to warn me when someone was walking up behind me! Sooner than that, he was already right behind me when I turned around! Yeah, I know it was a small building... Okay yes, I got a little distracted, I wasn't expecting it, what was I supposed to do?.. What?! No I'm not going to flirt back... Well for one, he was joking. Besides I wouldn't know how even if I did try. 'You look cute in that dress.' 'Why thank you. You look like you could survive back home for longer than a week.'... Well yes I could compliment his clothes, but eventually he'd have to figure out I'm shamelessly aping him. 'nice dress' 'nice shirt' 'you're cute' 'you are also cute'. Urg. Fine. Yeah, I should go apologise. yes, I know they're right outside, I saw the old lady poke her head in the alley."

Formerly Avalon

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next