All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 03 Sep 2012, 18:03 
Dino

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
"Maybe I should apologise," Aran said, looking somewhat abashed as he stepped round from behind Pamela, whom he had followed to the spot. "I was only trying to be friendly. I flirt with Pamela all the time. I know she doesn't ever think I'm being serious."

He turned back round to address Pamela.

"I bet you'd run away too, if you thought I was," he remarked with a laugh.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2012, 06:12 

Medals: 4
Best Artist (2) Absentee (2)
"Water in my- I see." Xander blinked in register of surprise, then walked towards the door to the chamber.

Not sure of what to expect, he was once again surprised, though he did little to show it, when the door slid open with a light woosh. After a short pause, he stepped through.

As someone who really enjoys contractions: It's what it's.

Also I make games sometimes!

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2012, 10:52 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Newcomer (1) Most Serious (1) The Merger Contest (1)
'Perhaps we ought to simply wait for her to come out,' Pamela said. 'Then again, goodness knows what she's thinking in there.'

Then she paused a Moment and told Aran 'If I thought you were serious, I should be more surprised than worried, though you're really far too young for me, and I don't think Tilly would approve of it at all.'

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2012, 04:35 

Medals: 1
L Award (1)
Mirasa stood up and brushed herself off. Apparently, everyone else had congregated outside the alley. She appreciated the trust, really. She then walked out to the rest, hands at her sides. "Erm... I probably should not have run off. I do not think it was necessary, but I guess it is good that you were concerned for my well being."

"Honestly, I was more worried you get bumped into by someone and throttle them." Her handler replied.

"I see... well... I suppose it was lucky I found that alley to hide in rather than anywhere with too many people. I think I am going to go back to my apartment. The cake tasted good." She said, walking slowly out of the alley and away from the group.

----------

When Xander walked into the new room, he noticed that is was split, quite clearly down the middle, by what appeared to be a glass window. On his side, there was nothing but a bench on the wall, while the other side has a few people and machines. "Well, your vitals are fine, and you're able to walk under your own power. A few of the interns thought that you may have been using your magic to active sustain yourself. Which is a rather foolish thought. Anyways, we sort of lack a medical history. Which is the real problem getting people from slavers that work with Pirates I assume, lack of respect for the processes. Oh, and I suppose safety protocols. This means that we'll have to run that blood sample, to see if you have any communicable diseases and such. It would help if you'd be forthright about any current ailments or dietary concerns though, at the very least for your own convenience." Said a thin man of medium height writing things down in a bound paper Book as he spoke. The man was wearing a white lab coat open over a brown turtleneck, and a pair of glasses. He wore his hair back in a short tail, not extending an inch past the knot.

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2012, 12:13 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
"Sorry if we made you jittery. No harm intended," he called after her as she set off down the street.

"Well that all went well for a first meeting," he remarked sarcastically once she was out of earshot. "Is she always so nervous? But anyway, I think she's got the right idea now. Time's getting on; I think I might head off back to my apartment too if that's all right with you. Though if you're also gonna go home, might I have the pleasure of your company for a little longer? Since we live almost on top of each other, I presume we'll be headed in the same direction.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2012, 12:45 
Veteran

'It shouldn't be a proper Date if you didn't walk me Home,' Pamela answered, and then she offered her hand and laughed a little. 'And here I was thinking you were a Gentleman!'

Jeanne continued to pad on behind Pamela, who added 'I've only met her a Time or two before, but she does seem very strange, and I'm not quite certain what is going on in her Head; her World must be a very dangerous Place, and I have the Impression that she's accustomed to having to defend herself quite regularly. Mine isn't perfect, but I shall be very happy to go back to it once all this Silliness is done with,' here she paused and looked at Aran 'it might not be a bad Idea for you to come back with me if you've nobody to go back to in your own World — I've a Number of Acquaintances who could help you make a Life there.'

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2012, 05:42 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
“I am a gentleman!â€

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2012, 05:49 

To his credit, Xander took in the details of the room quite quickly. He was thrown off by the vast differences between this place, his homeworld, and the ship he had woken on in between, and it only now occurred to him that not all things off of his world would be similar. He didn't waste time chastising himself for that belated revelation.

"It is possible, on my world, to prolong the life and enhance the body with magic, though I have never had cause nor need to do so." Xander said in way of reply to the man's first point. He figured that as the man before him would probably be some form of scholar, he had that careful, analyzing look about him, he would probably appreciate more information, and that may in turn help Xander to gather some information of his own. "If I had been doing so, I would have lost control of the spells the moment I fell unconscious, which would only prove to be a problem over time." Not strictly true, there were plenty of ways to control a spell while unconscious, but they were complicated, and he didn't give them any thought at present. "As for your concerns, I am, to the best of my knowledge, an aged, but perfectly healthy man. I do have an allergy to the banan fruit, though I doubt that I'll encounter those here." He stopped as the man made more notes into his papers, waiting for him to finish, then decided to ask a question of his own.

"Might I ask where I am, and what I am doing here?" He already had a fair idea of both, but he wanted to see what kind of response he would get almost as much as he wanted the answers.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2012, 18:53 
Veteran

'Oh, I know I'm in a different one from my own — there are no Pokémon anywhere in this one,' Pamela told him. 'It would probably be possible for me to get back right away if I had that Case — it contained the Tiles, which called the Unown that brought me here — but I'm quite certain it was left behind when I was swept away, and I doubt anybody is going to think to come after me with it. I was not the only one investigating the Ruins, granted, but I left no Instructions for using those Tiles behind, but I hardly knew what I was doing myself. Regardless, they've promised to take us wherever we like, and I'm going straight back to Celandine City as soon as I can.'

Then Pamela thought for a Moment.

'I don't have any Unown myself, but I doubt you know what they are,' she went on. 'I did have several Books and Papers with me when I was swept through — if you come up with me, I can show you.'

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2012, 11:46 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
"Is that like 'Come up and see my etchings'?" Aran laughed. "Sure, I'll come and take a look. Might be interesting to see things relating to another world."

It wasn't long before they reached the apartment complex where they both had their quarters - the accommodation district where all the test subjects were housed was within easy walking distance of the side of the shopping quarter that held the tea shop (one reason why Aran visited it so often). Aran touched a panel beside the double doors at the entrance and they slid open to allow them access to the lobby. It was quite plain and utilitarian, with pale blue walls and a dark grey, tiled floor. A screen to one side of the doors continuously ran through information for residents, interspersed with adverts. A small control panel allowed said residents, or visitors, to select specific items that they wished to view in more detail, or switch to the station's public computer network. Near the screen stood a small table and two chairs. Someone had made an attempt to make the lobby look more homely by hanging a few posters around the walls, and a small vase of cut flowers stood on the table. Directly opposite the doors was an elevator, which Aran and Pamela made for.

"Which floor are you on?" he asked, once they were inside.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2012, 14:26 
Veteran

'Three,' Pamela answered. 'This isn't the prettiest of Places — I much prefer my House in Celandine City, which is far less-bland, but it is, I suppose, better than not having any Place to stay, or being locked up, or somesuch.'

Jeanne had continued to pad along behind, and had entered the Elevator with Pamela and Aran.

'I haven't done terribly much with my Quarters, but I don't particularly want to make a Life here,' Pamela said. 'I hope whatever these People want done is done with quickly enough.'

Then she led Aran to her Room, which was not terribly unlike the Corridor outside, except that the Floor was carpeted. Jeanne deposeted herself on the Floor, and then Pamela released all her other Pokémon, who made themselves comfortable throughout.

'Now for those Books,' she said, and then she went to the Shelf and took three from it — Legendary Pokémon of the Aldens Region by C. Linden, Essays on the Development of Myths, by F. Dornwald, and The Tale of a Terribly Dangerous Coat, by C. M. Grey. 'Oh, my, that one has nothing to do with anything,' Pamela remarked when she saw the third one. 'It's a nice Read, but that isn't why we're here.'

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2012, 19:17 

L Award (1)
"Your location is classified, though being on a space station cluster. That means a collection of relatively stationary structures linked together. I understand you haven't gotten into the rocket age on your planet, so the concept might be complicated, but try to keep up. As for why you're here, none of my business. You've neat abilities, which makes you a test subject. Or a priority personnel. I can never tell the difference, frankly, it's not important. I have a blood sample from when you were unconscious, and I am to work science with it The rest isn't important. As for your allergy, it's possible similar proteins may be found in other foods, but I should be able to suss that out. The readings are giving you a clean bill of health, bar some dietary concerns, but I imagine that comes from your last hosts, and that light show that you treated us to." The Scientist commented.

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2012, 10:53 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Aran picked up each book in turn and leafed through it, pausing to read the occasional paragraph a little more carefully, and voicing questions, half to himself, as he went.

“So these legendary Pokémon – if they’re this rare, they must be on the verge of becoming extinct. That’s sad. There must surely have been others at some time – unless they’re mutants – what happened to their rest of their species?

“Fascinating myths. It sounds like some Pokémon function like gods. Does your world have a religion? Are all animals in your world referred to as Pokémon? I know these books are about Pokémon, but there never seems to be any mention of any living creatures other than Pokémon and humans.â€

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2012, 14:37 
Veteran

'Yes, I suppose they are rare, though they don't seem to like to interact with Humans terribly often,' Pamela answered. 'I don't think any of them are ordinarily endangered like Lapras or Kangaskhan or Farfetch'd, though: their Numbers have always, from what we can tell, been small, but that is because their Habitats seem to have a rather low Carrying Capacity for them, and because they don't seem to be terribly prolific naturally.'

Pamela then showed him the Page about Unown.

'They resemble Letters, and seem to live in a Dimension of their own,' she said. 'They seem to be quite numerous, though we know so little about their Biology I can't tell you much about them other than that they seem to be able to warp Reality in a Fashion we do not understand when gathered in large Numbers; individually, however, they are quite weak.'

Then came the Question regarding Religion.

'I'm not quite certain what you mean by that, Dear,' Pamela answered. 'People still pray to Spirits and very ancient Pokémon in some Places, though it's often for the Sake of Tradition more than anything else; I don't think the whole World ever had one Religion — it tends to vary immensely from Place to Place because of how the legendary Pokémon show up, though I suppose there is generally the Reverence for them and for Nature; also, I rarely hear the Term Animal employed, though when it is, it tends to refer to non-herbaceous, non-mechanical, and non-metaphysical Pokémon with biological Systems much like those of Humans.'

'You may borrow that last Book, of course,' Pamela added. 'I've read it many a Time, and I suppose you might like it yourself; it's Part of a rather long Series — I don't have any of the others with me, though.'

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2012, 17:18 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Aran was a little nonplussed by Pamela's mention of mechanical and metaphysical Pokémon.

"So not all Pokémon are alive in the normal sense? Are mechanical ones like robots? What are metaphysical Pokémon? Ghosts?"

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2012, 17:31 
Veteran

'Well, Dear, they're all alive as far as I can tell, though there are some which are physically machines,' she answered, and here she pulled another Book which was titled A Field Guide to the Pokémon of the Aldens Region, this one by G. S. Linden, at the same Time leaving the other ones she was holding suspended in Midair by a faintly-perceptible black Force which outlined them, and turned to a Page detailling Magneton. 'This one is composed of Magnets and Metal, you see, but it can think and is quite alive, you can be sure; I don't think it's quite susceptible to poisoning though, but nothing metal is.'

Then she flipped through the Book and showed some others — Electrode, Bronzong, Metang, and suchlike, and then added 'as for metaphysical Pokémon — some are, in Fact, Ghosts, or something very like what is traditionally considered a Ghost;' and here she flipped through to Gastly. 'You see, it can pass through solid Objects, and is not quite tangible if it does not wish to be, and also can float about, though as for whether it's the Soul of something dead or not, that is still not clear to us. There are many others like it,' here, she showed him Frosslass, Mismagius, and Duskull, 'though not all of them are quite as able to pass through solid Objects, like this one,' and here she flipped to Sableye. 'But this is all probably a bit much for you — and I'm probably going a touch to fast — but yes, not all Pokémon are Animals; as you've seen, Cassie is a Plant, and Tilly is a Mineral, though she resembles a Dinosaur: as you saw, she eats Rocks and Soil.'

Then she passed him both the Novelette and the Field Guide and asked 'do you have any more questions? If you like, you can read that Book if you want more answers, but I wouldn't mind telling you anything else you might want to know.'

Here, she saw that the Books were still floating and said to herself 'now isn't that silly of me leaving them floating like that,' and telekinetically put them back on the Shelf.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2012, 18:13 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
"Wow" Aran replied as he took the proffered books. "You have some very interesting life forms in your world. There are - were - whatever - some pretty strange things in mine too, but I'm fairly sure everything mechanical was man-made, even if some did seem to have some pretty advanced AI. Shinra - that's the company I worked for - they pretty much ran the world - made a lot of that sort of thing. Some people used to say there were ghosts in parts of Midgar too, but they were probably making it up.

"But thanks for these. If it's ok with you I'll borrow them overnight and let you have them back tomorrow. Now I know which apartment you live in I can drop them in to you easily. For that matter, I really ought to get out of your apartment and back to my own. People will talk," he remarked jokingly.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2012, 18:30 
Veteran

Pamela laughed at the Thought of People talking, though she was beginning to wonder if Aran might not flirt with the wrong Person someday and make her quite sad, or worse, quite angry.

'You may borrow them as long as you like,' Pamela answered. 'I've read that Story a dozen Times or more, and I wish I had the others, though knowing this Place you could probably actually find them if you looked hard enough. As for the Field Guide, I normally carry it on the Chance I might need it, though I seldom have cause to consult it, and I don't think I'll be meeting any other Pokémon for quite some Time; and if you need to go, don't let me keep you too long — my Pokémon will all want feeding soon, I suppose, and it is getting rather late.'

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2012, 19:18 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
"You're very kind," he answered. "And it's not that I need to go. Wouldn't want you to think I was trying to get away from you - that wouldn't be very friendly at all, would it? But I've imposed on your time for long enough. I'll let you feed your Pokémon, and I'd better go and do the chores around my own quarters that I should have done this morning."

He turned to head for the door.

"What a pity the organisation's contribution to our living costs doesn't extend to hiring servants," he added with a laugh as Pamela accompanied him to the door of her apartment and opened it to let him out.

"Well, thank you again for the pleasure of your company," he said. "We must do this again. Have a good evening."

Once the door was closed again and he was alone on the small landing that served as the lobby to the two flats on this floor, he stepped across to the lift once again.

"Floor five," he said as he entered, and returned without further incident to his own accommodation.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2012, 21:20 
Veteran

With Aran gone, Pamela went about feeding her Pokémon — she had been able to acquire most anything she needed to prepare their Food as usual, and she was happy for that, if nothing else; then she went into her Bedroom, which contained little more than what she had found in it: a Desk, a Bed, a Chair, and another Shelf; she had gotten some new Clothing after her arrival — she had chosen what was most like her customary Wear, which, beneath her Coat, consisted in a white Blouse and a grey Skirt alongside a very sensible Pair of Shoes which were nearly always black, like her Hat and Coat — though it was very clear that she regarded the Accomodations as temporary and not worth the Trouble of improving. She hung her Hat and Coat on a Hook and then went to her Desk and took a small, black leathern Book from one of the Drawers — her Diary, of course — and wrote down a Summary of what had happened that Day, which she had enjoyed very much.

Some Time later, she showered, and remarked to herself that she ought to find a good Hairdresser soon, if there were any aboard the Space Station, because her grey Hair was beginning to show; though she was not quite the Picture of Youth, Pamela had aged quite gracefully, though she was not very fond of how very grey her Hair was beginning to go. She went to Bed shortly thereafter, with Jeanne and Millie quite comfortably snuggled up with her — she had retained that Habit from her Childhood because she had never married — she had no living natural Relations at all, in Fact — though she had never really been lonely — and soon she was off to sleep.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2012, 02:23 

Xander took in every word from the man carefully. 'Classified location' put him in mind of the urban myths about the 'godheads' and their shadowy operations, a fiction on his world that was too close to being probable to ignore completely, and while the exact concept of this 'space station' escaped him, he figured that it was likely to be quite isolated from everything else. A place where scholars may conduct research in peace then? 'None of my business'... There was a a distinct pecking order then, with smaller tasks carried out in isolation from other scholars too keep them from piecing together the whole on their own. It didn't sound as though this man minded such an arrangement, and Xander wondered if he would either. What he did mind was the idea of being a test subject, so he hoped that 'priority personnel' was more applicable to him. That seemed unlikely though, so he decided to worry about that later.

He couldn't help but chuckle upon mention of his previous 'hosts'.

"I must say, the food was quite awful there. Had an odd charm to it though. I do hope that my... 'Light show' was not particularly disruptive. I merely thought to return their rather pitiful show of hospitality with a suitable one of my own." He was smiling calmly as he talked, it had been quite fun to let loose like that, though he wondered if he would get the chance to do so again any time in the near future. He doubted it. "These tests then, will they take very long to complete?" He asked, wondering how long he would be stuck in this room for. "Also, may I ask about the location of my walking stick, or at least enquire as to its well-being? It is an object of rather dear value to me, and I would like to know that it is being treated properly." He kept his voice as kindly as he could manage, though he was already devising an array that should be able to bring it to him, should he get the chance to write it and draw upon the mana to fuel it.

It was a difficult prospect, with so many limitations and obstacles, but, well, let it never be said that Miles Xander does not enjoy a challenge.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2012, 22:58 

L Award (1)
"Yes yes, clever jokes about killing an entire ship of people doing what they could to get by. I'm certain the mouths they were trying to feed would love to see you live on stage. They certainly weren't saints, but try not to let your great act of justice get to your head." The man in the coat said dryly. "And the testing will last as long as you do. We have no intention of causing your death, but well, Science. Right now we're in the prep phase. As for the Stick we've been informed to keep it out of your reach. Dangerous or something. It is being studied separately."

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2012, 10:39 

"I was being serious, they failed to keep a potentially dangerous captive suitably secure, and annoyed him. A lot. It was hardly an act of justice so much as a group of slave traders falling short of the prerequisite for survival. I'm sure that many of their number die on a frequent basis simply because of their line of work, just as they are sure to kill a great number for the same reason. I merely vented my anger." Xander's eyes narrowed slightly as he watched the scientist, he was beginning to dislike him. "A pity." He said, in regards to his 'stick'. "And what, may I ask, will these tests consist of?"

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2012, 17:33 

L Award (1)
"You're sitting in a cell with a gleefully sociopathic scientist staring you after you shot yourself off in a rocket to god knows where. If we'd decided that you were too much hassle, you'd have thawed out improperly, then suffocated to death. I hardly think you're in a position to remark on the standard's of people's survival instincts. It is raw fortune that you've survived this far, not your knack for longevity." The man glared back. He then re assumed a neutral stance and tone before talking again. "You will be tested in all manner of forms, from physical stress tests on your form to technical tests on your special abilities. And before you contemplate it, if you try anything hinky while you have access to your powers, our men are much better trained than the guards on that shipping vessel, and will remove your head before you even get to contemplate that they exist. So don't."

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2012, 18:20 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Aran kicked off his shoes by the door, put the two books down on the living room table, instructed the computer to start up one of his music playlists, and flopped down on the sofa to survey the room. While he wasn’t a total slob, he wasn’t the tidiest of people either, and by the end of each day he was usually left with the residue of his day’s activities, waiting to be cleared away. Keeping the place clean wasn’t an issue – the apartment came equipped with a small domestic robot that could be programmed to do basic cleaning jobs – but keeping it tidy was another matter. There was always clutter. Over the weeks that he’d been here he had been accumulating odds and ends to try to make the flat feel more like a home – he didn’t have anywhere else to call home, after all – and a number of his acquisitions still hadn’t been placed in their intended locations: in one corner were two cushions, still wrapped in polythene (or something akin to it), a decorative bedspread, a framed picture, and an assortment of packaging from items that he’d already put away. In addition, the dishes from his breakfast, the wrapper from the cereal bar that had served as lunch before he went out running, and an apple core were still on the table, several food packets were standing around in the kitchen area, and through the open door to his bedroom he could see the towel draped over a chair, where he’d left it after his shower. He knew that several items of clothing were also lying around in the bedroom, waiting to be laundered.

After several minutes he finally stood up with a sigh of resignation to put the flat to rights. Once it was all done, he’d get himself ready for bed and then relax and spend the rest of the evening reading Pamela’s books before retiring for the night. Outside, he knew, activity in many sections of the station would continue around the clock, but according to the chronometer – as well as his own body clock – it was getting late, and he would soon be ready to sleep.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next