All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 20 Jan 2015, 18:56 
Administrator

Medals: 20
Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
"Making glib and mildly irritating commentary I can do. T-B-H: I never understood what the last phase of the evaluation tests was supposed to test anyway," Kepler continued. "We can't even see what they're seeing. For all we know they could xanthophobia, that's the fear of the colour yellow. How is that going to be relevant in the big picture? Unless you plan on putting them in a huge yellow room when they misbehave. Maybe it would have wallpaper--yes, wallpaper with subtle little designs in it like in that story by--"

"James!" the man behind the desk called out authoritatively. "Enough. You want a clever literary reference here's one for you: yours is not to reason why; yours is but to do and die."

"Alfred, Lord Tennyson. Charge of the Light Brigade. Tim Curry cited it in Clue. Good movie, multiple endings caused some narrative inconsistencies." Kepler paused and looked at the stares around the room. "Point taken, carry on."

"God," Masters commented drily. "Why did you ever let him--"

"Have coffee again? It didn't work when you tried to stop it before anyway."

"Jim."

"My name isn't Jim, that's the name of--

"Stop talking."

"Okay."

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2015, 15:43 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Newcomer (1) Most Serious (1) The Merger Contest (1)
Pamela was fairly certain she knew what was about to happen: though she could not make out what Xander or Alyssa saw, nor had any inkling of how they really felt because she was too far away, there was little doubt that their worst fears would soon be brought upon them. It may well have already been happening to Alyssa, for her expression suddenly changed, and became first perplexed, as if she were looking at something which did not make sense to her, and then — the next expression was more difficult for her to pin down, but it seemed to be a mixture of fear and disbelief, mingled perhaps with more confusion. She prepared to note the reaction, and thought I really disapprove of such things, but I haven't really approved of much about this place since I got here beyond the general acceptability of its amenities, but they're scarcely ample recompense for the feeling of something strange, and not altogether savoury, being about. I suppose it will be good to know how these newcomers react to seeing what frightens them, but the method of ascertaining it is still rather inhumane. I suppose I oughtn't to expect much else from this organisation; something about it reminds me of old Sakaki, and I think his daughter may well be on the same course, though it's probably beyond me to stop them by now. I'm sure the Tsuwabukis of Hoenn would oppose him, but he seems to have taken an interest in a new company in Kantō. I hope that young Okido and Kikuko may bring him to his senses yet...

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2015, 18:59 

Medals: 4
Best Artist (2) Absentee (2)
Xander was perplexed. He didn't perceive the lights dimming, yet the room was darker somehow. There was no visible way for air to leave the room, yet there was a distinct chill. He was certain that the doors hadn't opened at all, so nothing could have entered after him, but...

He didn't like this.

The old mage looked around the room with an edge of desperation that he tried his damnedest to hide, attempting to spot the intruder he was certain was here with him, but knew couldn't be there. There was simply no rational way for something to have followed him.

All at once, he made a sudden conclusion, the room got noticeably darker, and he felt an incessant need to shore up every barrier he could think of around himself. There was no rational way that creature from earlier could have just eaten his magic, yet nothing had even slowed it down. The lights were still emitting photons, his arrays told him as much, yet the room was darkening, or rather, the darkness was spreading. It couldn't have followed him, could it?

He dispelled his arrays and cast a number of barriers around himself, trying to think of a way to protect himself first and foremost. Condensing air into a physical wall, perhaps? If there were enough trace elements of metal or dust in the air around him, perhaps he could construct something that might serve better? Should he pull materials from the walls around him? He didn't know what they were made of, so that may prove difficult, and throwing a wall at the beast earlier had done nothing to it. He was missing something here, he thought.

Before he could think further, he heard something that at least confirmed his suspicions; the low growl that could only be the creature resonated throughout the room. He made a small noise, and poured more magic into his barriers, trying desperately to figure out where the sound had come from.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2015, 19:23 
Veteran

Pamela shifted her focus to Xander, and closely checked the readings of what his magic was about: He's making a barrier spell of some kind; it would be very nice if I could see what it was he feared — I wonder if there are things like that odd creature he's just had to face on his own world; if there aren't, that may well have become his worst fear, but if there are... I suppose he may well think he has to face what he fears most twice in one day. That is really most unkind. I should very much like whoever designed that gas, if it were for such purposes, to be subjected to it; that might well lead to a fine moral lesson for him. I shall also take them both for tea later, if I am able: I think that will be very nice after all the unpleasant things that happen here.

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2015, 23:51 

Medals: 1
L Award (1)
The Man in Charge looked about the room for a moment. "Now that Kepler is no longer rather successfully distracting the meeting, I was actually primarily inquiring as to personal observations of the two person's character, rather than how they fared on the test."

"In terms of personality, I'm not sure if Kember is an apropriate candidate for the Harpoon Initiative. She's too young." Answered Joseph.

"Odd, you didn't seem to have any issues with Mirasa, whom is likely even younger." replied the accountant, cutting Masters off.

"Older." Kepler interjected.

"What?" asked the accountant quietly.

Kepler sat quietly. "You've aready broken your vow of silence, get it out already." sighed the boss.

"Mirasa is older than Alyssa by roughly a year." He responded after a bit of fidgeting. "Aran Saber is also in that general age range."

"How do you... Whatever, the point stands. It's a little late to worry about her age given who is already in the project."

"Age isn't just about how long you've been alive. Mirasa's world enforced learning the skills she now has and an eat or be eaten mindset. Saber is a practical combat savant with what seems like years of training under his belt. From what I've seen Alyssa might be able to claim she grew up in a rough neighbourhood."

"And what then?" Inquired the Scientist from Pamela's room. "Does she go to live with you in some ersatz Fatherly relationship? We already have samples of her poison and her Acid, along with DNA if we determine we need more, such as her protective coating. As you point out, she has no known expertise that would make her useful to us on a longer term. It is frankly easier to give the girl a modicum of survival training and some teamwork exersizes than it would be to teach her a skilled trade for her to be of use on the station. Xander, on the other hand..."

"You can't be seriously considering..."

"Currently Xander is the only person whom has an ability we might be able to replicate than we haven't been able to effectively take and control yet. While there is certainly a degree of biological predisposition, his abilities function nearly as a science, rather than a reflexive tapping into raw power. If we're going to advance in this field this will likely be an important first step. Sending him off on a suicide mission would be a waste of potential."

The boss sighed again. "Very well, I don't have time to deliberate. Continue testing the young lady. If she proves you wrong then there shouldn't be any objections. See how the mage responds to our insentive program. I'm calling this meeting Wallace, We're likely going to be having a chat when I get back. You can all leave my office now." He ended, giving the accountant a pointed look.
--------

Aran woke up in a white room on a reinforced bed, with three walls around him and a curtain to the side. On the wall opposite the foot of the bed was a panel a woman in a white coat was working at. He could feel the odd sensation he had come to associate with having his magic sealed off.

Eventually the doctor noticed something on her desk and turned around to face Aran. "Good to see you are awake." She said, walking towards his bed and then holding up a hand "How many fingers am I holding up?"

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2015, 20:05 

Medals: 4
Best Artist (2) Absentee (2)
The growling continued, louder now, though this did nothing to help Xander distinguish the source. He couldn't tell if the creature was just moving around him really quickly, or if it was somehow everywhere at once. He also couldn't tell which he liked least.

The darkness was the problem, he decided in a moment of clarity. If he could see, he could assess the situation. As it was, all he could do was guess. He drew a quick array to cast out a burst of bright light and threw it forwards into the darkness in front of him, only to see it disappear entirely, with nary a blink. His first reaction was terror. The creature must have eaten it, and would continue to eat anything else he used to try and defend himself. Was there any point in trying further?

His mind was, thankfully, more rational than that. Some part of him realised that he could still feel the array out there, in front of him. He could still feel the tiny drain on his magic. But then where was the light? Perhaps the creature was engulfing it, more than consuming the array, perhaps it was feeding from it instead? Xander forced himself to focus on curiosity more than his fear. He created new arrays, several of the same kind as before and a few that would behave a little differently, and cast them about himself, each to a different part of the room.

He waited, but still there was only blackness. He could still feel the draw of magic, but there was no light. His arrays were moving, some were pulsing, others were dancing, he could feel them all, but he could see nothing. Frustration was taking the place of curiosity, to the point where his fear was almost forgotten. Almost. That incessant growling was still shearing the edges of his senses, and.. could he see something moving? Somethings moving in the darkness? Xander shook the thoughts from his head, he needed to concentrate.

One more try then, before giving up on lighting the room. He left his arrays where they were, If nothing else at least he'd be alerted to the creature consuming them, and would be able to locate it based on that... hopefully, and began drawing a new one. This array was more complex than the others, it would cast light in a variety of spectrum, alternating between them upon command. It would also emit a low heat, to assure Xander that it was working in that respect, as well as a slight outward pressure, just enough to clear the air of any denser particles that might be obscuring vision. At least some part of this must work, he half-thought, half-prayed, bringing the array up in front of him and casting it.

Two things were confirmed to him in that moment. Two facts of objective truth. The first was that his array worked perfectly. He was near-blinded by the light for an instant, the heat washed over him almost pleasantly, and he could feel the low pressure ruffling through his clothes and whipping a few loose strands of hair about. The second was that this creature was playing with him.

As the room light up before him brighter than a star, the only shape he could make out was that of the creature's large face inches from his own, a wicked, fanged smile broad across its face. A piercing, grating shriek tore out from the beast, an awful peal that near-deafened the old mage. In his shock, all of Xander's arrays collapsed, his barriers fell, and the magic stored in his wards erupted outwards all at once.

Had Xander remained conscious, he would have found himself struggling for breath, but otherwise only barely singed at the epicentre of a very potent explosion. He hadn't, however, and instead collapsed as his legs gave out from beneath him in a combination of abject terror and sudden exhaustion.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2015, 22:10 
Veteran

Pamela had to adjust the light filters on the screen as Xander made increasingly bright lights, and, though she did not know what, exactly, he was seeing, the way he made new magics which had no clear purpose to her, as the room still appeared brightly lit, did imply that his great fear, even if it were not the monster with which he had just met, had something to do with darkness.

I shall have to be very careful around him, she thought. I may not be quite as frightening as that — whatever they said it was... dark fae, whatever that meand, I believe — but my only power is that of darkness, and that might make him uncomfortable (more so than he already is, at least); he looks rather badly in need of something calming: I think I shall recommend chamomile to him once the time comes; yes, yes, chamomile tea, with a few nice coconut bars, will be very nice, and I might have some myself as well. Alyssa will probably like some, too. She appears to be quite young — I wonder if she will like my Pokémon; I am told that young people from some realities know of and are fond of them, so I hope that she will like meeting real ones. I think I should like it if I had never encountered them before. Now wait, what is...?

Pamela abruptly broke off there and adjusted the camera again; it had grown quite bright, and then, all at once, there was a huge magical reaction of some kind which detonated a large explosion, and then she saw him fall unconscious. She maintained her composure, but was really very worried for him. Such as these disgust me, she went on, and she frowned a little, though only barely noticeably. He seems not to be greatly injured, but a discharge of energy of that magnitude could have done him great harm. I do not know what he may have done to himself with that odd magic of his, but, had I been caught in it, I doubt very much that I should have escaped so well were I not to fade into the shadows to avoid it. I suppose that Jeanne would not have minded it too badly — it likely would have triggered her Flash Fire, but even then I am not really certain it would be good to risk it. I suppose I comprehend the rationale behind this testing, but I do not think it good to begin with something so severe, especially when the results of a collapse of his magical system were unknown; I suppose these people may well have known about it and not cared, but that is not exactly better. I look forward to the day when I can wash my hands of this place for good, though I have some doubts on the ability of these people to live up to even one of their promises.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2015, 10:55 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
For a moment Aran was confused as he a regained full consciousness: this wasn't his bedroom; where was he? But it only took a few seconds to recall his fight with the droids and to realise he must be in a medical facility. Still, he had no recollection of being brought here. Had he passed out? He had no recollection of that either, but then, if he was unconscious, he probably wouldn't. He chuckled inwardly at the idea. He remembered felling the big battle droid, and his horror as that small one had shot at him when he was too exhausted to fight any more. Well, whatever had happened, it clearly hadn't killed him. He wondered if his last ditch attempt to stop it had worked or if the authorities had intervened and put an end to the fight. That was a question he could ask later. For now he turned his attention to the woman working at the console on the far wall. She had her back to him but he he could see she was slimly built under her white coat, and had brown hair cut in a neat bob. He was just wondering how old she was when she turned round and spoke to him.

Aran looked up at her face as she approached. Mid-thirties, I reckon. Not bad looking either, and nice figure to go with it, he thought, dropping his gaze a little.

"How many fingers am I holding up?"

"What? Oh, err..." He shifted his attention to her raised hand. "Three, if it's not a trick question and you're hiding some invisible ones somewhere. But you surely don't expect me to be focussing on fingers when there are so many more attractive parts of you to look at."

He shot her a cheeky grin.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2015, 20:56 

L Award (1)
As Aly turned her head, her fears were confirmed. Lying on the ground was a young unmoving boy. Suddenly she looked around her, scanning the room for exits and only finding one, which she ran towards.
------

"Excellent! Your libido is still functioning properly." Replied the Doctor, oddly chipper. "It was possible the medication we used to get you up and back to fighting shape may have had an adverse effect... Although perhaps it had the opposite effect..." She trailed off perhaps having supplied a little too much information for comfort.

Before the Doctor or Aran could continue, a murmuring could be heard on the other side of the curtain.

“Honestly, you’d think that she’d be able to sleep soundly with all the sedatives in her system. It’s like something is conspiring to keep her awake.” The doctor said moving around the curtain.

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2015, 18:19 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Alyssa already knew exactly what had happened. This was the moment she had discovered for the first time that she had a venomous tongue. She already knew the other children had gone running out of the room to alert the staff. In a moment Matron would come rushing in, followed by two other staff. They'd call for an ambulance and the police, and try to resuscitate the boy - Matt; she could even remember his name - while Matron tried to bundle her out of the door and into another room. And her own rising panic would cause acid to seep from her skin and burn Matron's hands. Matron would scream and everyone would turn on her and drive her into the little room as though she were a cow or some wild animal. And then the police would come and announce Matt was dead and try to take her away. And they'd grab her and they'd get burnt and everyone would be calling her a monster and talking about bringing in people experienced in handling dangerous mutants, and she'd be screaming and crying, and darting about, trying to escape, panic-stricken at the threats and the talk of locking her away. And she'd want desperately to stop hurting people, but she wouldn't know how, and they'd keep getting in her way so she couldn't help touching them, and more people would get hurt.

No! She couldn't let that happen. There was no way she could face that again. Even though she knew full well how it all played out that time and knew they failed to catch her, the memory of it filled her with horror. She had no idea how she came to be back here and thus no idea about whether events would run their course as they had before or whether some variable had changed that would make things play out differently. She prayed to whatever gods might be out there that it wasn't the former - because there was one variable she knew had changed: she now had the benefit of hindsight. She knew that any moment now three staff members would be coming through that door so she needed to make a dash for the other...

There was no other door! There had definitely been another door to that room! Where was it!? Why wasn't it there!?

Mustn't panic! Mustn't panic!

She could feel her heart pounding. She felt chilled but she was sweating. No, that wasn't sweat; it was acid. But that shouldn't be happening; she could control that now. Why wouldn't it stop? Stop it! she admonished her body, but it made no difference. She could still feel the acid oozing out between the scaly nodules of her skin. This isn't right! I don't even have to think about this normally. What's going on!? Why won't it stop!?

She had to get out. She had to get out right now before anyone tried to stop her. No time to worry about what was wrong. Just go. Now! She bounded towards the one remaining door, hurled herself through it, and collided full-force with Matron.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2015, 10:49 
Veteran

Pamela watched Alyssa scan the empty room with an expression of sheer horror. What can that poor girl be seeing? she wondered. From what I have read of most incidences of human culture, she may have been persecuted for her unusual abilities, and, if I were to hazard a guess, she might be reliving a part of it now. It would be useful to know both place and manner, but I can detect nothing of her feelings from here. Why are they even testing her now, when she seems to possess so little combat experience? Though Mirasa is, I suppose, nearly the same age, she seems to be far more accustomed to fighting, and, old woman though I may be, if I have all my Pokémon, I am quite a match for any of the others. She will want some tea after this — I must take her out for some...

Next, all of a sudden, she saw Alyssa run forwards, and the room move to accomodate her, and then trip over, as if she had hit somebody.

She must feel trapped, Pamela thought. She is looking for a way out, but of what? Will she be able to interact properly with the others when the time comes to do... whatever it is we are to do?

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2015, 02:34 

L Award (1)
As Alyssa bumped into the Matron, the older woman gave way immediately and fell backwards, her arms and sleeves shielding her face from the acid. "Alyssa Kember, settle yourself!" she half shouted. "There are men arriving to take you someplace safe, but in the mean time I need you to wait in my office."

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2015, 18:34 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Alyssa barely noticed the impact with the matron. She ignored the command and lurched forward, only to find herself being grabbed by both the staff members who had accompanied the matron. But this obstacle was almost instantly removed as they simultaneously screamed in pain and let go as the acid made contact with their bare hands. And straight after, she heard the matron gasp and try to stifle a yell of her own. She didn't look back but she knew what had happened: the fabric of the matron's sleeve had only protected her arm for the time it took the acid to soak through. Now it had made contact with the skin of her arm.

"Alyssa! Stop!" she cried after her in a voice that betrayed the pain she was in. "Where do you think you're going to go? You need help!"

More staff appeared, drawn by the commotion, and tried to head her off.

"Don't touch her!" the matron yelled at them.

All the newcomers hesitated, clearly confused. Someone who had been about to reach out pulled their hands back abruptly.

"She a mutant!" The matron explained through clenched teeth.

"I'm not scared of a mutant kid!"

This new voice, a deep male one, came from the caretaker, who chose that moment to come striding in through the front door.

Alyssa found herself thinking, maybe somewhat irrationally, given that in the circumstances it was the least of her worries: But I'm not a kid any more!

"Let's get you somewhere quiet," he went on, "until you've calmed down."

And without further ado he strode up to her, took her in a bear hug, lifted her off her feet and swept her, as she fought to free herself, through an open door to one side of the lobby and into the matron's office. The whole thing took maybe five seconds but he had barely entered when he staggered, dropped her and passed out. Already the whole front of his synthetic overalls had melted away, along with much of the sweater and shirt that he had been wearing underneath and the exposed skin of his chest and arms was a livid red and rapidly blistering.

Alyssa stood staring at him in horror as in places the skin began to turn black and disintegrate. This wasn't what happened! She remembered the caretaker arriving and grabbing her, and yes, he was one of those who had been hurt, but not this badly! Then it struck her - she had been a child back then: not so so big or so heavy, and she hadn't been able to fight him anywhere near as strongly as she had just been doing. He had had to hold on to her far more tightly this time, and her greater size had meant more of his body had been in contact with hers this time around. The other staff were now crowding round the doorway, varying degrees of shock and horror apparent on their faces. Tears began to well up in Alyssa's eyes. This was the very reason she had been running. This was what she had been so desperate to avoid, but instead she had just made things even worse than before.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2015, 23:39 
Veteran

"I believe she may require better psychological conditioning before she's really ready to fight, or at least some training to help her think more rationally when under duress," Pamela thought as she added it to her notes. "I can't say that I think it's occurred to her that what she sees is not real. None of my Pokémon are really good for healing — it's rather unfortunate that I didn't have Hildegarde or Isolde with me when I went on that investigation — but perhaps I was able to figure out that it was an illusion so soon because of the impossibility of it happening here, though the image itself was terrible and not at all easy to get rid of without Refresh or Aromatherapy or Heal Bell..."

Here, she stood and, though she continued to watch Alyssa, wondered if there were really much more for her to observe, or if it would be better to try for some degree of damage control with regards to the psychological trauma whatever she was seeing would certainly inflict. It was, of course, not impossible that she could gain some new power, or rather discover one she did not before know, but that was not terribly likely.

Without looking to see who it was, she asked whoever was nearest to her, "How long are you planning to keep her under such conditions? Becoming unconscious seems to be the order of the day, but that might be a touch severe for her."

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2015, 16:39 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
After the doctor disappeared from view Aran tried sitting up. Having established that being upright didn't result in any dizziness or other unwanted side effects he pulled back the cover, swung his legs over the side and tried standing up. He felt somewhat weak compared to his normal state and a little stiff from his earlier exertions, but otherwise there didn't seem to be too much amiss. He was sure that if he wasn't pushed into another battle for a day or so he'd be back to normal in no time.

He was curious about who might be on the other side of the curtain. The doctor had referred to 'she'. He wondered if it was anyone knew. Without consideration for the other patient's privacy he padded to the end of the curtain and poked his head round to get a glimpse of the next bay.

PostPosted: 07 May 2015, 00:41 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Kepler looked up from a fog of images he'd conjured in his head and stopped twitching his fingers about as if calculating something as he entered the room and Pamela asked her question.

"It's science? The conditions are set. Changing them prematurely would defeat the entire purpose. I would liken it to a battle gambit but you seem like the sort of person who was probably more into co-ordinating anyway." Kepler paused. "Then again, there are plenty of moves in co-ordinating intended to maintain a low crowd appeal so that the pokémon can potentially capitalise on it late in the show. I'd say you could compare it to that except the desired outcome is gaining knowledge and not winning anything. Also the point is for the setting to remain constant rather than change at the end. So I guess actually it's nothing like that at all." He pulled a little plastic wrapped thing from his pocket. "Hard candy?"

PostPosted: 07 May 2015, 14:24 
Veteran

"I'm not fond of hard candy, but thank you," Pamela answered. "I had guessed that the desired outcome was to gauge proficiency; this young woman seems to have control of her powers, but even a cursory inspection of her reactions would show that, though she hasn't had the easiest of lives, she hasn't the mental and physical conditioning of a soldier or any other like individual. She would do well if she had more training of the kind, I am sure, but you and yours know well enough that I disapprove of your methods, and am ready to have done with whatever this thing you wish us to do is as soon as possible. And, in spite of what the children's media depicting my world may suggest, Pokémon battling is about controlling the situation rather than making a spectacle — that's what contest battles are for. Scoring and whatnot are more complex than the serials make it look, and it has a far bigger following among those who only keep Pokémon casually. Believe it or not, you actually have to be sixteen to have a license to train Pokémon, and they can and frequently are revoked. The stories of ten-year-old children going about with Pokémon far more powerful than they would ever have can be enjoyable, but they aren't much more real to me than they are to you. There may well be a variant of my world in which they are so, but the idea frightens me a little... I suppose I need not tell you more. I do not expect this interests you any more than the motivations of this group interest me."

PostPosted: 07 May 2015, 16:28 
Administrator

"To be fair it's not disinteresting because of the groups involved, I've just heard it before." Kepler chuckled to himself, becoming distant again. "'You and yours'. It's funny because it implies I have people. Oh!" Kepler pointed excitedly at Pamela. "You ever have a Gardevoire? What about a Blaziken? Volcarona? I feel like I could do some great things with those."

PostPosted: 07 May 2015, 21:13 
Veteran

"I have none of them myself, but I know people who do have them," Pamela answered. "And I took it that you were one of those who operate this facility. You would probably also not do well with a Gardevoir. I don't see in you what it would take to draw out a Ralts, at least not in my iteration of the world. I could test you to see for certain, but you would probably find that disagreeable, and I see no point in it. I'm sure you could find one in one of the games, and do whatever you like with it. Mine does have the Fairy-type, if that is of any concern to you, but Mega-Stones are unheard-of, and sound like something out of a penny dreadful. Many of the more disturbing Pokédex entries in the games are, however, surprisingly accurate."

PostPosted: 10 May 2015, 18:46 
Administrator

"You're very superior," James observed nonchalantly. "You should be careful because in stories like these it usually ends in an ironic fall." He looked at where Pamela herself was observing. "So what else are you thinking? About this I mean."

PostPosted: 10 May 2015, 22:01 
Veteran

"The gas makes you relive a trauma, or experience something based on your worst unrealised fears," Pamela answered. "I imagine that young woman is hallucinating something terrible, and think she may succumb to it, since she appears to have had the least exposure to prolonged psychological distress in combat and combat-like situations. She may not, however, though I think this gas test too extreme to start, as you already know. I imagine your employers, or whatever relation those who operate this organisation have to you, may have had her given some psychological evaluations, of course, but I have no access to them if they have. Now that we're on the subject, who, exactly, are you? You would appear to be a slightly enhanced but otherwise ordinary human in better physical shape than is usual for researchers, though your capacity for social interaction is rather below par; and yet, I detect something strange in you. I can perceive stray emotions and impressions, and from you I get some that are very odd when compared with those of the other members of the crew of this... whatever you would call it. You also imagine yourself more witty and amusing than you really are, but that is something rather frequent."

PostPosted: 10 May 2015, 23:07 
Administrator

"I don't think I'm witty. And I know I'm not particularly amusing. Actually if anything I'm an irritant but people do their best to at least thinly veil the fact that they are only tolerating me because I know things that nobody else does. I'm an outsider. An observer. A student of elemental plot interaction. Though on the topic of knowing things about other people and things that aren't obvious I'm really more interested in your abilities. Your character profile is sort of vague about how they work or why you even have them. I mean it's not a normal thing in the pokeverse, so it's not just an average origin setting thing."

Kepler spread his hands out dramatically, "For example: how would you know, without having read files on me or had any demonstration via interaction, that I'm ' a slightly enhanced but otherwise ordinary human in better physical shape than is usual for researchers'?" He put a finger to his lips in a stereotypical thinking gesture. "You say I appear that way, but as we've already established you and I haven't had that many interactions. Even if we had, you'd have to be dependent on my behavioural expressions to suspect any sort of enhancement. But why assume that over some sort of savant-type ailment? I never do anything exceedingly physical--probably do even less walking around than you do--and wear concealing clothing, so you can't even rely on appearances or behavioural analysis to deduce I might be anything less than physically inferior to the average researcher." James twiddled his thumbs. "Though physically underwhelming, in terms of plot your character is...out of bounds."

PostPosted: 11 May 2015, 00:18 
Veteran

"I wasn't aware I had a Character Profile, but I suppose it isn't that far-fetched," Pamela answered. "I can't answer for why it's vague, because I did not write it, but if you will show it to me, I might, perhaps, be able to fill in some blanks for you. To answer some other questions, your face is not a handsome one, but it lacks some of the doughiness of other researchers. Your neck, a part of which I can see, also shows slight traces of muscle. Further, though your clothing is bulky, it is not so in such a way as is trying to conceal a bad figure. You may simply be lucky in this regard, but I can also detect that your mind has had some unnatural alteration done to it, which is probably an enhancement, but I am not quite a psychicer as some you might see in the game, and I cannot read your mind directly. I believe that some episodes of the animated serial depict people gaining psionic powers, albeit rather limited ones, from exposure to Pokémon who have them. This is actually not infrequent in my iteration of the world, though it isn't certain whether they are actively bestowing them, or simply drawing out a latent tendency. It is also known to happen with other kinds of Pokémon — Ghost, Grass, Fairy, and Dragon all have documented cases, but no others do. When I say that no others do, I should specify that I am the only known case of Dark-type Pokémon having such an effect. The Esper-type, of course, has the highest number of reported cases, with Ghost being second. Ghost-types tend to lend clairvoyance — the character Matsuba hadn't been born by the time I left my iteration of the world, but some of the powers he is implied to have in the game — the ability to see into the past or future — are not terribly uncommon under prolonged exposure to Ghost-type Pokémon; this is actually considered a drawback by many, since the visions are frequently random and of a disturbing nature. Fairy-types seem to grant the ability to commune with invisible spirits, but may also simply cause insanity; they are also known to inspire artistic creation — Valerie is a good example of the last one — and to cause the mind to take on a child-like character. Grass- and Dragon-type Pokémon can bestow healing powers and the ability to communicate with Pokémon, but cases of this are exceedingly rare, and are attributed to the Viridian Forest in one drawn serial. Like many franchises that span various media, supernatural powers in humans are portrayed differently across canons. Many of these abilities are stronger in my own iteration of the world, however, and were probably purposefully made so by the author of the abandoned fan work from which I come. Mine were likely invented by the individual responsible for my iteration of the universe, who very likely drew upon all these sources. The man I suspect of being my author is also simply always a bit vague with how supernatural powers work in his writing, now that I think on it. No system to which I've had access has, however, had any complete record of anything by him that I did not already know; but, if you know games and fictions so well that you fancy you stand outside of them, you might simply ask him yourself, if you can find him."

PostPosted: 12 May 2015, 01:46 

L Award (1)
"Very interesting to know, though it would be of great use at least to your allies if you could nail down the specifics of your rather nebulous powers." Replied the scientist from before. "And It would be rather remiss of me if I neglected mentioning that James is not one of us. He has little more to do with us than you do I'm afraid. Got picked up by some entrepreneurs some time ago, but failed to live up to our standards regarding physical ability. We were deliberating between live experimentation and just tossing him out into the vacuum when he revealed himself to be a resourceful source of information. Which I suppose puts your request to pull the young girl out of her test in a new light, when you think of it." He gestured towards the monitors.

"At any rate, Your request to have her test stopped is both pointless, as even if we opened the doors, the toxin would still be in her system, and any anti toxin would take more time than you're asking for, and shows your lacking in knowledge of basic psychology. Soldiers and the like tend to have an even MORE difficult time with this phase of the test, trust me we've experimented with them. The reaction between the toxin and Post traumatic stress disorder can be extremely unforgiving. The girl, on the other hand, while obviously frightened by what she is seeing, is otherwise behaving in a rational calculated manner, rather than shutting down rather uselessly. I recommend you watch and observe more closely, rather than bickering with such an obtuse man."
------------

As Alyssa looked about the room, she heard voices from outside the door.

"She shouldn't be able to get out of that room. Can you lock the door till someone who can deal with her shows up?"

"But what about Mike? He's still in there with her!"

"Did you see what the mutie was doing to him, there is no way he's still alive."
-------------

On the other side of the curtain Aran found the doctor standing over Mirasa, the girl laying prone on a bed similar to the one he had been on, wearing a hospital gown from what he could see under the blanket. She had an IV in her arm and was muttering faintly, but otherwise didn't appear conscious. As Aran walked up the Doctor turned around. "Hmmm. It's good to see you're standing upright with no difficulty, but you really shouldn't be over on this side."

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 12 May 2015, 14:25 
Administrator

Kepler nodded. "Failure, obtuse, that's me. A bit presumptuous on my physicality and a bit flighty on subjects, but not bad for an impromptu test. As long as you don't actively try to usurp M's role you should be a sufficient addition to the team comp." Kepler nodded to the scientist. "My job here is done. I'm going to go watch Farscape, maybe. Love Farscape."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next