All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 20 Jan 2012, 02:36 
Veteran

Medals: 9
Master Debater (1) Lovable Asshole (2) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Brave New Worlds (1) The Comm's Fanart Contest (1)
Most Badass (1) Master Debater (1) Interwebz Anonymous (1)
NOTE:So, I've noticed a distinct lack of RPs on the boards recently, so I decided to start my own. This RP is set in my own IP (Yes, I've made money off of it with Shadow Regiment so it's legit intellectual property now), Tales of the Infinite Sea, or The Infiniverse. To build interest and have time to field questions, I'll be posting as much of the lore as I can before I open up signups. The Infiniverse is a complex and well-developed world, and I'd rather everyone read through these posts one at a time, rather than all at once in one hour-long binge.
Callindria: Isle of Swords

A Roleplayer's Guide

POST 1
1.0: Prelude
2.0: Basics

2.1: The Bane
2.1.1: The Elves and the Bane
2.2: Races
POST 2
3.0: Religion and the Orders-Militant
3.1: The Convocation
3.2: The Ascensionist Heresy
4.0: Other Nations
4.1: International Crises/Tensions

POST 3
World Map
POST 4
5.0: Callindria
5.1: History
5.2: Factions
5.3: Settlements and Regions

POST 5
Map of Callindria

POST 6
6.0: War in the Infinite Sea

6.1: The Three Schools of Land War
6.2: Weapons of War

POST 7
7.0: The Tierran Calendar
7.1: Baselines for Tierran Year Dates

1:0 Prelude
There is a patch of calm upon the curtain of storms, a single spot of placid salt water speckled with life-giving land in the middle of that infinite roiling maelstrom. It is barely a thousand leagues in diameter, yet continents and great nations grapple for dominance in this infintesimally tiny mote upon an endless plane of wind and fury.

For two thousand years, the nations of the Infinite Sea have warred with this single calm sea as their arena. Realms have rise and fall to the sound of drums and the staccato crack of musketry. Shining Kian, Proud Calligia and a multitude of other kingdoms, empires and principalities have awoken, arisen and fallen in the endless turmoil of war and politics.

Welcome to the Infinite Sea.

2.0: Basics
This is an RP set in my continuity, the Infinite Sea. It is sort of a prequel to a previous RP of mine: Infinity's Blades, though the world has been retooled dramatically since then. The Infinite Sea is at a tech level roughly equivalent to 1800 or so, with certain interesting advances caused by the existence of the Bane (Magic). The RP itself is set in Callindria, a tiny island kingdom in the middle of political crisis. The scope is relatively small, but will have far-reaching consequences. The RP is open to all, although I strongly recommend that you do not overreach when creating a character. I am not known for pulling punches when it comes to political machinations and people who try to play anime or high fantasy archetypes straight are in for a rude shock. Keep four things in mind:
1: The laws of physics apply, and the Bane also must conform to both the laws of the physical world and additional limitations.
2: The NPCs will be smart and rational, They are not being run by your whims, they are being run by me.
3: The Infiniverse is a fairly grim setting. Things will most likely not turn out for the best.
4: I am pretty much an expert in military history and historical combat. If I tell you something can't be done, it can't be done.

2.1: The Bane
The cornerstone of "magic" in the Infinite Sea is the Bane, or the Lifepoison, a force of energy possessed by all living things. To drain a living thing of its bane is to kill them, slowly and painfully, as they wither into dust. To overfill them with Bane leads to a quicker, but far more violent death as the vital energies explode from its overpressureized vessel. Thus, the Bane is both the very essence of life, and its antithesis. While all living things possess the Bane, only Elves and certain Humans possess the ability to sense the presence of the bane. These individuals are referred to as "Baneblooded". Those who can actively control the flow of the bane are knwon as "Banecasters".

Approximately one out of one hundred humans are Baneblooded. Out of those, only one in twenty are Banecasters. In the Northern Kingdoms. In most human states, Baneblood immediately translates to membership in hereditary nobility. Their abilities are treated as "the judgment of heaven", and are effectively a mandate to rule. Bane are divided into Calibres, based on a series of standardized practical tests. First calibre casters are very weak and can barely manifest their power. Eighth calibre casters and above are capable of direct military applications, and are often considered the only people eligible for high military command. These individuals are known as Warcasters. The most powerful of human casters rank up to the tenth calibre. These select few are capable of casting which can turn the tide of entire battles, with enough preparation and resources.

The remaining 99% of humans are Baneless, a misnomer which actually means they cannot detect or control the Bane. Barred from the nobility, this vast majority are commoners, who work as farmers, slaves, common soldiers, merchants and clerks. Short of those few who become Seekers of Martyrdom, the baneless are expected to know their place and submit meekly before their baneblooded betters. In between them are the Deathborn. A baneless child born from ostensibly Baneblooded parents, the baneless are generally considered the result of adultery between a baneblooded mother and a baneless father. As a result, many Northern Kingdoms carry out the immediate execution of the Mother of a Deathborn child. Deathborn children are, naturally, illegitimate, and cannot inherit. In addition, the Deathborn have the unique quality of being able to absorb excess Bane, though they have no control over it. As a result, Deathborn have more resistance against Banecaster attacks and cannot be detected simply by their bane-signature.

There are a few limitations to banecasting. First of all, the Bane resides only within living things and things which were immediately were living. Therefore, a banecaster can snap the string of a bow or carve a piece of furnature with a cast. But he cannot directly affect the state of a gunpowder charge or a lead bullet, something which has directly led to the primacy of firearms on the battlefield. In addition, some very rare pieces of armour and weapons are made of banesteel, specially made to absorb the Bane. This allows them to resist the attacks of Warbasters and negate bane-based attacks.

Up until about 550 years ago, all humans had the potential to be banecasters. About 20 years before the beginning of the Old Imperial Era, an event known as the Banedeath rendered increasingly more and more humans baneless, leading to the proportion of baneblooded to baneless in effect in the present. Regardless, human banecasting is heavily reliant on material aids. Baneseals - runes scribed on a strip of parchment and affixed with a wax seal - are the most common tool of the Banecaster. A single cast will require five to six hundred of these meticulously scribed one-use seals, depending on the complexity of the cast in question. Alternatively, permanent enchantments can be imbued with banerunes, permanently etched into a hard surface like a piece of armour or the blade of a sword. These runes are inset with banecrystal, to hold the bane within non-living objects.

2.1.1: Elves and the Bane
The Elves are unique in the way which they react to The Bane. Modern Takaran scholars claim that elves are more highly attuned to The Bane, while their Kian opposites claim that the Elves are abominations caused by ancient Kian experiments on humans. Regardless, Elves can manipulate the Bane with much greater efficiency, requiring neither material aids or prolonged casting times. They also manage to live four times longer and are capable of feats of speed and dexterity beyond that of humans. In addition to this, elves are all natural Banecasters, without the natural limits which human casters have. The only limitation to an Elf's ability to manipulate the Bane is the degree of training they have undergone.

2.2: Races
There are about half a dozen major ethnic groups in the Infinite Sea. Callindria is a mixing pot of just about all of them. Descriptions of the most common are as follows:

Calligians
The heirs to Ancient Calligia, these fair-skinned, dark haired humans hair from the North. Known for their gallows humour, hardiness and ability to live through just about everything, the Calligians have high cheekbones and prominent, aquiline noses. They are the main ethnicity in the Northern Kingdoms.

Kian
The Kian make up about 45% of the human population in the Infinite Sea. Olive-skinned and dark-haired, Kian tend to be skinnier and taller than most humans and are renowned for their poetic nature, outward decorum, respect for authority and a subversive, subtly obscene sense of humour.

Mhidi'yossi
Hailing from the east, the Mhidi'yossi are tan skinned and sharp-featured, their hair bleached white by the sun. A heavy and plentiful diet makes them tall and physically imposing. The Mhidi'yossi are known for their patience, intelligence and quick wit.

Takaran Elves
Tall, slim and pale, the Takarans claim to have created humanity in their own image, though they are set apart by their distinctive elven ears, platinum blonde hair and more angular features. Immensely proud, the Takaran Elves carefully cultivate an image as dashing, cosmopolitan and honourable warrior-poets.

Islander Elves
Looked down upon by their Imperial cousins, the islanders are smaller, stockier and darker-skinned, though they carry the distinctive blonde hair and pointed ears of their genetic relatives. Although they tend to be humbler than Takaran Elves, they are stereotyped as less sophisticated which, depending on the context, means either less pretentious or outright stupid.

Feel free to ask any questions, even stupid ones (although you might not like the answer if I find your question stupid). I'll try to post the next two segments over the next week, then open signups in the following post.

"Those are brave men," he told Ser Balon in admiration. "Let's go kill them."
-Tyrion Lannister, A Clash of Kings

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2012, 03:43 
Dino

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
I don't have time to read this whole post before work, but you can count me in.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2012, 11:36 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Newcomer (1) Most Serious (1) The Merger Contest (1)
This is quite intriguing, though I do have two Questions thus far —

Cataphrak wrote:
First calibre casters are very weak and can barely manifest their power. Eighth calibre casters and above are capable of direct military applications, and are often considered the only people eligible for high military command. These individuals are known as Warcasters. The most powerful of human casters rank up to the tenth calibre. These select few are capable of casting which can turn the tide of entire battles, with enough preparation and resources.

First Question — what is the Scope of the Abilities of a Caster considered to have "direct military applications"?

Cataphrak wrote:
Regardless, human banecasting is heavily reliant on material aids. Baneseals - runes scribed on a strip of parchment and affixed with a wax seal - are the most common tool of the Banecaster. A single cast will require five to six hundred of these meticulously scribed one-use seals, depending on the complexity of the cast in question.

Would this also apply to very small-scale Actions (moving Objects, opening Doors, tripping People, and the like)? If things as small as that are even possible, that is.

Edit: To be clear, I do want to take part regardless of the Answers to the above Questions.

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2012, 12:23 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
I would just like to pre-emptively state that I will definitely be participating in this.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2012, 13:40 
Veteran

Master Debater (1) Lovable Asshole (2) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Brave New Worlds (1) The Comm's Fanart Contest (1)
Albert Clare wrote:
First Question — what is the Scope of the Abilities of a Caster considered to have "direct military applications"?

Basically, any kind of Bane manipulation that can directly kill somebody or the like. Eighth Calibre casters can (with the use of runed equipment) do stuff like shoot lightning from their hands or boil someone alive with their own blood. Clever sixth or seventh Calibre casters could probably pull something off which would be more subtle, like snapping a rope to drop something on a person, but on the battlefield, subtle is really not something you have time for.

Albert Clare wrote:
Would this also apply to very small-scale Actions (moving Objects, opening Doors, tripping People, and the like)? If things as small as that are even possible, that is.

Yes, which is why the Bane isn't used often by human Banecasters. The majority of its applications rest around enchantment and things like forensics and the like - things which can't be done by mundane means. Mind you, this only applies to humans. Elves can manipulate the Bane at will, which is why the Altrich is so powerful militarily. (More on the Altrichs vam Takara next post).

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2012, 19:57 

Sparks my interest. Unfortunately, that's all I can say for now :(

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2012, 21:25 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Cataphrak wrote:
[align=left][/align]Islander Elves
Although they tend to be humbler than Takaran Elves, they are stereotyped as less sophisticated which, depending on the context, means either less pretentious or outright stupid.
How much basis in fact does this stereotyping have? Does "outright stupid" indicate any genuine lack of intelligence in comparison with the Takarans? And does their lack of sophistication refer purely to their culture, or are their abilities with the Bane less sophisticated too?

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2012, 21:41 
Veteran

It's pure stereotype. The Islanders have neither as extensive an education system nor the military and political power to attract the foreign cultures of the Infinite Sea to their shores. Any disadvantages they might have with regards to Takaran Elves are purely cultural and socio-political. They have the same natural capabilities as their Imperial cousins. Some of the Island Kingdoms (Butea, for example) are quite large and middle powers in their own right.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2012, 00:10 
Veteran

Another Elf-related Question — can Elves and Humans interbreed? If so, do there exist any sort of Elf-Human Hybrids?

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2012, 00:20 
Veteran

Albert Clare wrote:
Another Elf-related Question — can Elves and Humans interbreed? If so, do there exist any sort of Elf-Human Hybrids?
Theoretically? Yes. There's enough institutionalized prejudice on both sides of the racial boundary to make much a thing extremely rare. They are usually not accepted in either society and Takaran law outright considers "elven bloodline" as a strategic resource, meaning a Takaran who has a child with a human can theoretically be charged with treason. Most half-elves are Islander on the elven side, either way, aside from a considerable increase in lifespan (to about 140 or so), they do not gain any advantages, and still possess the characteristic elven ears, which mark them out for prejudice in human societies (actively encouraged by the Takaran government).

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2012, 01:11 
Veteran

In other Words, if I understand you correctly, a Half-elf is no better with Magic than an ordinary Human?

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2012, 02:07 
Veteran

You have understood me correctly, otherwise human governments would spending fortunes training seducers and rapists to impregnate/get impregnated by elves, so they could have their own walking bane-powered superweapon.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2012, 02:39 
Veteran

That is a very sensible worldbuilding Decision.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2012, 02:58 
Veteran

So? What do you guys want me to post about next? The international situation? Or do you want to know more about the island the RP will be taking place on?

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2012, 03:03 
Veteran

Medals: 8
Most Creative (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) 2008 Mercury Halloween Contest (1) Mercury T-shirt Design Contest (1) Best Photographer (4)
Mow Mow wrote:
Sparks my interest. Unfortunately, that's all I can say for now :(
Same here. Sounds fascinating, but real life is (obviously) prioritized.

[align=center]Image[/align]

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2012, 06:54 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Cataphrak wrote:
So? What do you guys want me to post about next? The international situation? Or do you want to know more about the island the RP will be taking place on?
My personal opinion is let's get all the general background dealt with first so we all understand the context (even though I read IB I wouldn't claim to be able to remember, or necessarily even be aware of, all the convoluted political relationships and history), and then focus in on the location where we'll be based.

Also, it's just struck me that you haven't made any mention of Nymphs. Have they been removed in the rework? (Not that I had any desire to play one.)

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2012, 07:07 
Veteran

Nymphs? Nymphs are just legends made up by lonely sailors. Immortal creatures attuned to the Bane, living around some kind of real-life version of the Takaran faith's Tree of Life somewhere in Butea? What nonesense! [/in character]

No, they still exist, but nobody's ever seen one in a long time (except for one certain Butean nobleman, but he's not telling).

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2012, 10:43 
Veteran

Like Dino, I think it would be best to get more in the Way of overall Context first, and then move to the Specific.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2012, 16:21 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
dinowoman wrote:
(even though I read IB I wouldn't claim to be able to remember, or necessarily even be aware of, all the convoluted political relationships and history)

If I understand Cata correctly too, then the original RP only barely clings to reliability as a guide to canon.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2012, 17:32 
Veteran

3.0: Religion and the Orders-Militant
The Infinite Sea is a place of many faiths. The Kian believe that their dead emperors lead shining armies against the Tree of Pain, while the Takarans claim that the Tree of Life must be defended against the hordes of the daemon emperors. The Northern Kingdoms are relatively unified under the worship of the Pantheons of Martyrs. Martyrs are Baneblooded exemplars who died in a way which allowed them entry into one of the three Pantheons. Martyrs of the Red die in battle, leading their soldiers to victory or staving off a hopeless situation. Martyrs of the Blue die protecting the weak and innocent against injustice or tyranny. Martyrs of the Green sacrifice their lives for the pursuit of knowledge, exploring the unknown or long-lost.

The process of making a Martyr a saint is very simple. Any individual can make a shrine to a Martyr: a flame which must burn continually for an entire year, in the presence of one of the Chapterhouses of an established order. As long as the fire does not go out and is not put out by some proactive critic for that year, that Martyr is sainted, and dispensation is made to create an order of knighthood for them.

Knightly orders are powerful organizations. Only baneblooded can apply to become knights. Baneless can only join on the explicit invitation of the Grand Master of the order. These knights seek martyrdom in the manner of their Saint's pantheon. Knights of the Red are, for example, determined to die in battle and often lead armies from the front. Below them are their baneless compatriots, Seekers, who serve as clerical workers and priests as well as squires and retainers. It is believed that there is no distinction made between Seekers and Knights after death, so long as they gain martyrdom. Baneless and Baneblooded alike, their Patron Saint awaits them in a shining palace, ready to induct them into his or her celestial retinue.

3.1: The Convocation
Knights of the Red are often the most politically powerful of the orders. Focused on martial prowess, they naturally carry a lot of clout both in inter-ordinal politics and within their host states. They are commonly referred to as the Orders- Militant. The Grandmasters of these orders meet regularly in a Convocation in the Principality of Mersdon to discuss politics and dictate policy. In addition, the Convocation has the ability to declare Holy War. They may declare a state Pariah-Among-Nations, which gives the targeted nation a choice: they can either immediately put their entire ruling house to the sword, or face invasion by the assembled Knights of the Red, a prospect which would inevitably lead to destruction.

3.2: The Ascensionist Heresy
The League of Antar possesses a similar, but different religious system. About three hundred years ago, certain theologians speculated about a "Mother of Ascension", a supreme being who alone adjudicated the sainty status of a martyr. One of the earliest adherents to this belief was Prince Eugen of Antagia, the founder of the League of Antar. As a result, the "Ascensionist Heresy" became the state religion of Antar, and its Church Hussars fight not for individual saints, but for the Mother, depicted as an impossibly beautiful woman in her thirties with white wings and clad in a suit of shining silver armour.

4.0: Other Nations

"Four corners of Earth,
FOUR POWERS UNDER HEAVEN."
-The Mantra of Leangeshou

WEST
Dir Altrichs vam Takara
Government: Constitutional Monarchy
Ruler: Aldkizern Reskin vam Paulus aun Takara
Cultural Influences: Frederickian Prussia, Imperial Japan, Modern United States
West of Callindria lies the most powerful of the Elven nations, Takara. Famed for the disciplined regiments of their Richshyr and the baneworked ships of their powerful fleet, Takara is a great and arrogant superpower, uncontested in the North and West. In addition to their obvious military supremacy, they have an extensive spy network. Very few major events in recent years have ever escaped the notice or influence of Imperial Intelligence. Takara is locked in an eternal contest for dominance with Kian, the only other power with the military prowess to challenge the Aldkizern.
Takaran Names are phonetically German, with altered spelling.

SOUTH
The Dominion of the Kian
Government: Federation of Absolute Monarchies
Ruler: The Honnelouwe Emperor
Cultural Influences: Han Dynasty China, Ancien Regime France
To the south, on the largest of the Infinite Sea's landmasses, stands the greatest of the human nations. Kian is a loose amalglamation of hundreds of feudal holdings with their own governments, each larger than smaller Northern Kingdoms like Callindria. They are ruled by the Dukes of Zi'enne, who unified the Kian after the last war with Takara. As Emperors of the Kian, the Zi'enne Dukes have established a set of Dominion-wide institutions, including a terrifyingly well-trained and equipped army, arguably the best in the world.
Kian names are phonetically Mandarin Chinese, spelled as if French.

NORTH
The League of Antar
Government: Noble Republic
Ruler: The League Congress
Cultural Influences: Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, Late Rurikid Russia
The successor of Old Calligia, Antar occupies the northernmost continent of the Infinite Sea. As the most powerful of the Northern Kingdoms, Antar boasts a large population and the powerful Church Hussars. The League is ruled by a congress of several hundred Baneblooded nobles, each with their own agendas and interests. Antar is strong, but undirected and poorly led. Its society is run on the back of an oppressed serf class and its power is currently being challenged as its merchant fleet is being taken apart convoy-by-convoy by the Tierran Fleet.
Antari names are Eastern European.

The Unified Kingdom of Tierra
Government: Constitutional Monarchy
Ruler: King Alaric I
Cultural Influences: Regency England, Hapsburg Spain, Imperial Germany
One of the wealthier Northern Kingdoms, Tierra is far from a great power; Tierra's army is something of a bad joke, aside from their feared Royal Marines. However, it boasts a strong economy and a powerful navy. Under the leadership of the brilliant but caustic Alaric Spitfire, the Tierrans are in the process of fighting (and winning) a naval war with Antar. Tierra's proximity to Callindria and its recent belligerence have been a source of worry for the Callindrian government.
Tierran names are a combination of English, Spanish and German.

EAST
The Covenant of the Mhidi'yossi
Government: Theocratic Dual Monarchy
Ruler: Mak'Malyk Arslan III
Cultural Influences: Safavid Persia, Ottoman Empire, Moorish Spain
The main power in the east, the Mhidi'yossi are masters of irrigation and urban planning. Deeply faithful and extremely clannish, the near-independant cities of the Covenant have made their mostly-arid continent bloom with life and civilization. However, Mhidi'yos is a land in crisis. A power struggle between a weak Mak'malyk (Lord of Kings) and the Guiding Council of high clerics threatens to erupt into open civil war. Turning inwards, the Mhidi'yossi cities prepare for the unthinkable as city militias mobilize and oppurtunistic mercenaries flood to the troubled continent.
Mhidi'yossi names are a combination of Spanish, Latin and Arabic.

4.1: International Crises/Tensions

KING ALARIC'S WAR
For the past four and a half years, Tierra's Royal Navy has been fighting a war of nerves with the merchant fleets and private warships of the Lords of the League of Antar. Originating from a long series of intended slights and the poor treatment of the Tierran government by their Antari trading partners and would-be overlords, tensions escalated into war, thanks to an exquisitely worded letter from the new King of Tierra, Alaric I, composed almost entirely of insults. In a carefully prepared opening move, King Alaric issued letters of marque to dozens of Tierran merchantment, secretly armed in the ears before. With his force of instant privateers, King Alaric laid waste to the Antari trading fleets. The war is now in its closing stages, as the exhausted Tierran fleet hunts sparser and sparser game. The Antari are on the verge of economic collapse, and without Antari grain imports, Tierra can barely feed itself. Both side look for a major decisive victory to crush any remaining resistance and bring their enemies to the table.

THE MHIDI'YOSSI CRISIS
For centuries, the Santamoro Dynasty has kept the Guiding Council under its thumb. Even under the rule of successively weaker and more corrupt Mak'Malyks, the religious leaders of the Mhidi'yossi read off of a script delivered to them directly from the Palace of Ten Gates. However, the most recent attempt by the new Mak'Malyk to strongarm the Guiding Council has ended disasterously, as mysteriously well-armed "local militias" rise up all over the country in support of their religious leaders. In the capital, the people riot as much over the frustration over the corruption of the Santamoros as for any factional loyalties. Civil war is considered all but inevitable.

THE TAKARAN-KIAN RIVALRY
The mutual antagonism between the Dominions of the Kian and the Altrichs vam Takara has been a fixture of foreign relations for millenia. It is telling that only the belligerents themselves possess records of times when their relations with each other were any better than frostily polite. This emnity goes back so far and so deep that even their respective cultures are geared towards antagonism: the Takaran Tree of Life and the Kian Divine Host are directly opposed to each other in their shared cosmology. Thankfully, over the past two millenia, open war has only broken out three times. The last one, taking place some 450 years ago, was a titanic clash which left three million dead and ended with three Elven Islander kingdoms, caught in the middle, burned entirely to the ground. Since then, both sides have kept up a tempo of underhanded secret operations, diplomatic intrigue and calculated "incidents" to gain a positional advantage for the inevitable resumption of open hostilities.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2012, 20:25 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
I don't yet have any questions about the international relationships (though once I know more about our location and the situation we ourselves are going to be in, and have made a firm decision about my character's race, I may find I want to know further details), but I was wondering if you had any plans to produce a map so we can visualise the layout of the countries. Zeth produced one ages ago (which I still have a copy of, but couldn't find on the forums to link to), but I don't know if it's still valid.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2012, 21:30 
Administrator

[spoiler=Old Map]Image[/spoiler]
Although I find the usefulness of this map beyond general location—which are already easily grasped by the headings in the above post—dubious at best.
(Also, in retrospect I find my talent exceedingly lacking. If Cata's made a more detailed one by now, I can make a MUCH better version.)

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2012, 04:38 
Veteran

Wow, that *is* an old-ass map. I'll see if I can find one somewhere in my paper notes (I only have a digital map of Tierra) and scan it ASAP.

EDIT: Can't find one. I can draw one real quick.

EDIT ZWEI: Map's done, a quick hour of work, and hardly polished, but it shows the positions of the aforementioned countries, and their capitals.

Notes:
-Tierra and Callindria are referred to as two of the "Northern Kingdoms", despite their relatively central position. This is mainly because the term is of Kian origin, and to them, Everyone North of them (except for the Takara and the Mhidi'yossi, who they believe powerful enough to require separate acknowledgement) is a Northern Kingdom.
-This only shows the major landmasses. There are quite a few smaller islands which don't show up. Out of the half-dozen or so elven island kingdoms, for example, only two (Rothkurin and Butea) are large enough to show up on this map.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2012, 11:13 
Administrator

What would the map scale approximately be in this case?

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2012, 13:16 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Thanks for the updated map. Even though your description makes it clear where everything roughly is in relation to each other, I always find it helpful to have a map in case of wanting to describe journeys or refer to the locations of particular features. And yes, it would also be rather useful to have some idea of the scale. Also, from their colour, and Butea's location on the original map, do I presume that Butea and Rothkurin are the islands just off the northern and southern tips of Takara? Btw, where's Mersdon, where you said the Grandmasters have their convocations?