All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2011, 04:04 
Veteran

Medals: 9
Master Debater (1) Lovable Asshole (2) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Brave New Worlds (1) The Comm's Fanart Contest (1)
Most Badass (1) Master Debater (1) Interwebz Anonymous (1)
More info on the Five Countries plox, since if we're going to be cultured swashbuckling gentlemen-adventurers, we'd probably be hailing from there.

"Those are brave men," he told Ser Balon in admiration. "Let's go kill them."
-Tyrion Lannister, A Clash of Kings

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2011, 23:20 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
Thank you, Jayge. :thumbsup:

^Working on it. It's taking me longer to write up than I thought, and I was pretty much gone or occupied all weekend.

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2011, 16:39 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
Right, here you go...giant wall of text.

I'm doing my best to have the geography make sense and not just have another fantasy world of forests and caves, but I'm not exactly an expert on the subject, so please feel free to correct me on any mistakes.

[quote="The Five Countries"]
Of the five countries in northern Shaezel, there is Gaoevel, which occupies the northernmost point of the continent and the estuary of the river Javelletreh; Avera and Damaquel, which meet in the middle of the continent; Terravous, which rises to meet the edges of both its northern neighbors in the narrower part of Shaezel; and Fellous, which is backed up directly against the Shardashen mountains.

Gaoevel is the original territory that the Galestians claimed during their initial migration to the continent. For a long time it was technically a colony of Galestia, but gained its independence when said country eventually collapsed in 1174. This didn't produce many difficulties, since Galestia had never bothered maintaining much authority over its colony save for using it to procure trade goods, but the new country did experience a sudden inrush of population when its mother country collapsed and refugees fled from the massive civil war that was sudden enveloping the home continent.
Between the salt marshes along the Javelletreh's delta and the rocky soil and sudden cliffs along the rest of the country, Gaoevel has never been able to support a high amount of farming. Rather, it relies on fishing, and brings in a great deal of seafood. However, since there are no landlocked countries in northern Shaezel and fresh seafood is hard to transport, Gaoevel has never been able to use this resource as a viable export. On the other hand, the amount of fish and game readily available in Gaoevel ensures that acquiring food has never been a problem, which in turn allows for the population to spend more time in crafting, maintaining the standing army, and research and invention. Being the farthest from the blight of the Shardashen has also improved the conditions of Gaoevel in comparison to the countries that share its region. Gaoevel has a fierce national pride; it has always been somewhat aggressive and willing to jump in on a chance to expand its territory. The current king, Avander the 2nd, appears to be holding back slightly from the rush of southern colonization and even supporting the other countries in their endeavors, which probably means he's up to something.

Avera and Damaquel are both fairly young countries, occupying the territory space that was long fought over by the invading Galestians and native elves. Many temporary territory markers have been drawn over that area; the latest are only two hundred years old. Because Gaoevel and Terravous keep their borders tight and Fellous isn't the most wanted location to begin with, anyone attempting to establish new ground in northern Shaezel heads towards the middle. Thus, the beginnings of both these countries are rooted in a shifting conflict over a thousand years old, and there's not much point in going into that in depth here.
What is more relevant is that Avera has a strong half-elven population and that Damaquel houses a good deal of half-orcs and various other “monstersâ€