All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 20 Jul 2011, 23:13 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
I've had this idea for a DND campaign kicking around in the back of my head for a long while now and I've come to grips with the fact that no one's ever actually going to play it. But we need some action around here, so if anyone's up for the idea, pile on in.

It'd be set in the campaign world that I made up, so no Faerun or anything. Fairly standard medieval fantasy universe. Anyone who wants in can make a character from the regular list of classes and races, or if they can convince me that they should be allowed to play something out of the ordinary they could do that instead. You start as an adventuring party setting out into the great prairie that consumes most of the continent of Saezhel, and we go from there. I'll get to how we'll handle spells in a bit if anyone displays an interest, but aside from that it should just be standard RPing.

Totally open RP. Got a knowledge of basic grammar, you're allowed in. Anyone interested?

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2011, 02:34 
Veteran

Medals: 9
Master Debater (1) Lovable Asshole (2) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Brave New Worlds (1) The Comm's Fanart Contest (1)
Most Badass (1) Master Debater (1) Interwebz Anonymous (1)
I call dibs: Can I play a gestalt Wizard/Artifici- *shot*

Seriously, if I have time, I am on this like brown on properly cooked rice.

"Those are brave men," he told Ser Balon in admiration. "Let's go kill them."
-Tyrion Lannister, A Clash of Kings

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2011, 14:10 

Medals: 4
Best Artist (2) Absentee (2)
Sounds good to me. Never had the chance to play DnD properly before, but this sounds like fun :)

As someone who really enjoys contractions: It's what it's.

Also I make games sometimes!

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2011, 17:28 
Dino

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
I'm a total DnD ignoramus, but if you're willing to let me learn as we play, I'll join.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2011, 22:21 
Veteran

I don't think knowing much about DND would really be needed anyway. I mean, like I said, it's an original setting, and we're not actually using any of the rules, so...yeah.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2011, 00:26 
Veteran

Master Debater (1) Lovable Asshole (2) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Brave New Worlds (1) The Comm's Fanart Contest (1)
Does this mean I can actually make a gestalt Wizard/Artificier?

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2011, 12:53 
Veteran

No.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2011, 17:17 
Veteran

I suggest a list of banned classes/races then, just for all of us powergames in the audience.

Otherwise, so help me, I will play an Altherian Pistolier/Coryani Battlemage

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2011, 16:56 
Veteran

No, because a.) that would take me all afternoon and b.) I happen to know for a fact that you are the only powergamer in the audience.

...Alright, I think I screwed up a bit here. Let me start over.

The reason I originally said this was DND style was because the world was designed to work as a DND campaign world, so it would have space for the regular 3rd edition classes and races. There'd be clerics because people have religion, rangers because there's dangerous territory no one else wants to go through, thieves because there are always thieves, etc. I didn't really intend for us to get into metagaming and minmaxing and all that and if I led you to that conclusion with faulty wording, I apologize. There wouldn't really be much of a point to that anyway given that we don't have stats at all to begin with, and having one person with an overspecialized and comparatively obscure class against a group that by and large has never even played the base game to begin with wouldn't be very conducive to a good RP.

So no, I don't expect anyone in this RP to give me a detailed character sheet with all their feats per level and racial bonuses neatly stacked up. I'll give you races that you can be, and classes as a suggestion of what you could be. If anyone wants to just say they're some guy with a sword, that's as fine as the person who specifically requests to be a wizard specializing in Conjuration with a pseudodragon familiar*. And if you want to say your character has knowledge of this esoteric art or this particular form of battle-alchemy or what have you-if they have good reason to-then, alright. But we're not going to have anyone "winning" the RP, we're not going to have characters that might be really powerful and cool but have no business being in the setting in the first place, and we're not going to have one person effortlessly bulldozing their way through everything with transcendental armor and an Infinity+1 Sword while the rest of the party is using hide armor and slings. Everyone's starting at the same level.

If this all still sounds good to everyone, I'll get on describing the setting soon.

*I know this is still incredibly basic for DND. Bugger off.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2011, 18:30 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
That definitely suits me. :)

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2011, 02:00 
Veteran

That works, and if we're starting at level 1, I will play that most derided of all 3.5 classes: the bard.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2011, 11:16 
Veteran

Medals: 1
Funniest (1)
I'm in. Ranger, favored enemy: undead. Race: lupine (or if not lupine, human). And I'm gonna dual-wield a battleaxe and a handaxe.

Living in the limelight, the universal dream for those who wish to seem.
Those who wish to be must put aside the alienation,
Get on with the fascination,
The real relation,
The underlying theme.

The World From Here

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2011, 17:02 

Whelp I'm in too anyways :) any chance that there's some kind've Acrobatic Swordsman type, like in Anima?

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2011, 17:33 
Veteran

Wouldn't a rogue with a lighter sword/melee ranger work?

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2011, 17:40 

Hm, sounds about right xD Alright, so a sword-wielding Rouge for me, methinks~

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2011, 22:24 

L Award (1)
I imagine a Swashbuckler would fit better, but that is an expansion class, So it would be up to Mage.

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2011, 23:20 
Veteran

I'm already going to play a swashbuckling bard, maybe we should be a party of impeccably dressed, adventurous gentlemen with fantastically plumed hats and rapiers?

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2011, 05:10 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
I'm tempted to go with Cleric (I'm sure clerical garb could include fancy, plumed hats in this world's religion, if Cata wants a party of impeccably dressed gentlemen :P ) since we'll probably need a healer, and from what I was just reading on Wikipedia, it looks like Clerics can fight too, which makes them far more interesting than an FE-style Cleric. However, my ability to play that class is likely to depend on how close to DnD magic use is going to be in this RP. It looks from Wikipedia like there's quite a lot of prior preparation involved in using spells, which I know very little about.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2011, 15:34 
Veteran

Funniest (1)
It's really easy to prepare spells. All you do is, instead of impulse casting (like sorcerers, who have a more limited selection of spells but can cast any of them any time), you pick from a list of spells at the beginning of the day, and those are the spells you can cast that day. You can prepare a spell more than once or not at all, depending on your level and how many spells a day you have.
Chaz wrote:
I imagine a Swashbuckler would fit better, but that is an expansion class
It's not an expansion class. The Complete Warrior has rules for the Swashbuckler base class. Assuming this is 3.0/3.5.

The real relation,
The underlying theme.

The World From Here

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2011, 16:19 
Veteran

dinowoman wrote:
(I'm sure clerical garb could include fancy, plumed hats in this world's religion, if Cata wants a party of impeccably dressed gentlemen :P )

-Two words: Cardinal Dinolieu

dinowoman wrote:
and from what I was just reading on Wikipedia, it looks like Clerics can fight too,

-Clerics are fantastic at melee, seeing as a lot of the spells on the Cleric lists are buffs, and they have the ability to wear heavy armour AND cast offensive spells.

dinowoman wrote:
It looks from Wikipedia like there's quite a lot of prior preparation involved in using spells, which I know very little about.

-Usually, clerics gain spells through prayer or meditation, so as long as you score high on visitation records, you should be fine. :D

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2011, 17:31 
Veteran

Funniest (1)
Cata wrote:
Clerics are fantastic at melee, seeing as a lot of the spells on the Cleric lists are buffs, and they have the ability to wear heavy armour AND cast offensive spells.
I wouldn't necessarily say they're fantastic at melee. They can certainly hold their own in a fight, but in my experience, clerics function best as a support class, buffing the fighters and protecting the spellcasters while healing everybody.

The real relation,
The underlying theme.

The World From Here

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2011, 22:04 

L Award (1)
Functionally, They are really good at Melee because a lot of their buff spells are self only. I'd get into more, but Frankly, none of this is important for this RP. As for Swashbuckler being an expansion class, I meant it was a class from an expansion book (CW, as you pointed out.) Which I was expressing concern for whether The swashbuckler class would be appropriate to Mages setting.

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2011, 01:20 
Veteran

I have played a game where I was playing a cleric who, for RP reasons, could not cast spells. I was STILL the second best melee fighter in the party.

EDIT: Also, I talked to Mage about swashbuckling, and she seems okay with it.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2011, 19:15 
Veteran

Yes, feel free to buckle your swash all you want.

In a little bit I'll be glad to give a general run-down of magic and clerical vestments in DND and this campaign in particular, but you'll have to excuse my fingers being slightly tired from typing all this up:

[quote="A (Relatively) Brief History of Shaezel"]
As seen on a flat world map, Shaezel is the westernmost continent of Veiryn, and one of the larger ones by length. The esteemed Celestial historians generally hold that the first sapient beings to arrive in the land that would eventually become Shaezel were in fact roving bands of primitive goblinkind, seeking good land to settle in after much of their ancestral homeland was destroyed in the ongoing territory wars that consumed most of Veiryn's young years. As the Age of Roving ended and continental drift began to divide the original Garden Land, the goblinkind tribes split up and began to build small colonies across the fertile grasslands of their chosen land. Some of them splintered off and headed for the then-young Shardashen mountains to the north, but most of them stayed on the grassland, developing over time into the more recognizably modern Plains Orc. The plains were also populated by gnolls and some centaurs at that time, the former having also split off from the more monster-like tribes that sought out Shaezel and the latter stemming from an origin myth too complicated to go into here.

In the process of colonizing the land the orc tribes took out most of the trees that were growing there, which sealed off the fate of the land, already rapidly turning to prairie under the rain shadow of the young mountains and the effects of grazing from wild horses and other roving herd animals that had been driven there by the orc tribes. As continental drift set in*, small groups of sun elves sought out the continent by boat, most likely refugees from Lady Z'thla's War, the conflict notable for hastening the separation of elvenkind into the more distinct biological groups known in the modern age. These sun elves, however, sought out the northern part of the continent, most of them having no interest in the mountains. A few, however, did express an interest in what lay beyond the Shardashen and set out to explore the lands to the south. This proved to not be such a good idea.

*For reference, continental drift in this setting was by and large caused by various gods and rebellion in the Underworld, and occurred a lot quicker than it does over here.

A different consequence of Lady Zthla's War was the driving of the ash elves underground and the beginning of the Hallow, Veiryn's bizarre and geometrically improbable underground world. Detailing the vast and complicated systems of feuds and allegiances that took place in the Hallow over the years has proven to be a task beyond even the Celestia Historia. All that is known (or, indeed, relevant at all) in this case is that some conflict in the Hallow led to a besieged group of dwarves opening up a new Hallow-Gate below the Shardashen and building new colonies there. Naturally they immediately declared war on the goblin tribes who were already there and mostly minding their own business. The most important thing to note about this is that, in waging their war against the goblins and generally being irresponsible, the dwarves left the Hallow-Gate unsealed for quite some time, which had a bad effect on the environment. Monsters poured into the Shardashen underground, caves became dangerously Escher-like, and temporal storms rose over the mountain's peaks. Eventually the gate was properly sealed-with much loss of life-but the damage was done. The Shardashen mountains became extremely difficult to cross, and still ensure swift and gruesome death without a proper guide.

Which was what happened to most of the sun elves who attempted to make the trip.

But a few of them did survive to make it out onto the prairie. It seemed a fell reward for all that they had gone through, especially now that they realized there would be little hope of making it back. They had no material to make boats, and even if they did they lacked enough knowledge of navigation and the ocean around Shaezel to steer clear of the befouled waters around the Shardashen and make it back home. In some despair, they wandered south.

The legend among the descendents of those elves is that eventually, having crossed most of the continent in search of something besides all this blasted prairie, they came upon a young sapling. This wouldn't ordinarily signify much, but given the general lack of trees in the downlands, the self-appointed spiritual leader of the elves apparently decided it was a good place to fling himself to the ground in the throes of some kind of mystic vision.

Whether the shaman actually did receive a missive from the manifestation of the plains themselves isn't now known, although Veiryn certainly has enough nature gods wandering around sticking their noses into things to make it a possibility. What matters is the shaman's claim when he finally stopped thrashing that Nature herself had whispered to him. It was the destiny of the elves to stay in the downlands, to protect and nurture the prairie for the rest of their lives, and that the sapling-reminiscent of the northern forests of the elves' original home-was a clear sign of this. It must have sounded good to the elves, because they agreed to it and settled in. And so began the long history of the downland druids.

The druid clan managed to get along on fairly good terms with the orcs already in residence, which proved vital in learning how to survive in the new land. They developed a system that led to one druid being chosen as the general leader, with four lieutenants under him, and a way of electing masters for the younger druids to learn under. The downland druids flourished, but they flourished rather unobtrusively and uneventfully for most of their era.

The next relevant event in Shaezel's history would occur early in the Age of Blades, Veiryn's current era and the second post-Creation age. Shaezel's interactions with the rest of the world (disregarding the continuing feuds taking place in the mountains) in the previous Spearhead Age were mostly limited to the small trading boats the northern elves ran to their southern neighbor of Andelfhan. This would come to change when a band of Galestien pirates-for lack of a better word- happened to catch one of the aforementioned merchants on their way back up to Shaezel. Galestia has been a rather treacherous region almost since the beginning of the world (think Australia populated with vikings), and most of the Galestians who didn't feel like taming the territory set out in search of somewhere new. This particular band followed the Shaezelin merchants back up all the way to their north coast, found a relatively empty niche, and settled in. Although they had no particular interest in bothering to conquer the whole area, neither did they refrain from killing, maiming, or infecting with plague those of the Shaezelin elves who got in their way. The Gelestians built several villages off the rich land, eating their way into the heart of the continent, leaving the elves-whose experience in war at that point was limited to small squabbling amongst various tribes-to be driven back down towards the mountains.

As the Galestians followed the trail of elves down the continent, some of them took interest in the strong river that broke south down through the mountains; the elves called it Kalchanandras (something along the lines of “lightning runâ€

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2011, 20:00 

Bloody hell, this is going to be a fun setting to play in. Fantastic work Mage :D